View Full Version : Does anyone have time to place caches for an event?

Kacky
07-15-2009, 09:48 PM
Can anyone help place a cache or two for his event August 1st in Greene?
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=3f861ddd-c0d5-4362-b64b-e8bc6060e863

squirrelcache
07-15-2009, 10:03 PM
Kathy,
Would you be looking for listed, permanent cache placements? Or ones placed just for the event?

Ekidokai
07-16-2009, 01:37 AM
Hmmmmmmmmm.

Mapachi
07-16-2009, 06:47 PM
Hmmmmmmmmm.
OH! OH! I can hear your gears turning! GAWD! How many film cannisters and pipe cleaners do you have?!

Trick or Treat
07-16-2009, 10:14 PM
I'm working both days that weekend. Sorry.

Ekidokai
07-17-2009, 12:06 AM
OH! OH! I can hear your gears turning! GAWD! How many film cannisters and pipe cleaners do you have?!

I have a van full of lock-and-locks. I found a place that was closing and bought a van full for practically nothing.

benandtina
07-17-2009, 08:49 AM
WOW! Lucky! Do you know if they still have more that they are looking to offload?

Ekidokai
07-17-2009, 09:30 AM
This was about 6 monts ago. They are long gone now.

lexmano
07-17-2009, 10:20 AM
i have a van full of lock-and-locks. I found a place that was closing and bought a van full for practically nothing.

coming soon to your neighborhood, the ekidokai cache supply van!!

Kacky
07-19-2009, 08:33 AM
Looking for both permanent and demo caches. Squirrel, are you interested?

squirrelcache
07-19-2009, 08:41 AM
My calendar's full that weekend :( I thought maybe I could contribute ahead of time, by placing some caches for the demo component. Who would I talk w/about the specifics of doig that?

iampaw
07-19-2009, 08:08 PM
I can go up and place some this Friday, if you still need someone to place some.

hide_from_the_kids
07-19-2009, 09:15 PM
:confused: kacky i sent you an email saying i was interested in placing all i asked was for the written permission to do so. :confused:

EMSDanel
07-19-2009, 11:57 PM
OK...caught my interest..... So just what is a "demo cache"????

firefighterjake
07-20-2009, 07:23 AM
OK...caught my interest..... So just what is a "demo cache"????

Oh, Oh . . . I think I know the answer to this one.

A "demo" cache is what happens to a cache when the Maine State Police Bomb Squad has a report of a suspicious "package" at a telephone booth at an old rest stop/truck weighing area north of Bangor on I-95 . . . the Bomb Squad uses demolition charges to open the cache . . . sending parts and pieces of McToys everywhere in a 50-foot radius. Am I right? :D;)

robt
07-20-2009, 07:26 AM
Camping up that way? preferably somewhere on the water?

squirrelcache
07-20-2009, 04:27 PM
I thought that at some events there have been temporary "unlisted" caches put out for educational purposes!? Hence my terming them "Demo Caches". Thanks for the laugh FFJ ;) I didn't think of that one .... lol

squirrelcache
07-20-2009, 04:32 PM
Camping up that way? preferably somewhere on the water?
Used to live in the area:
http://www.riverbendcampgroundmaine.com/ (http://www.riverbendcampgroundmaine.com/)

http://www.beaver-brook.com/ (http://www.beaver-brook.com/)

Both have good reputations...no particular recommendations from me.

EMSDanel
07-20-2009, 07:07 PM
Ouch!!!! Geez, Jake, I'ved been trying to forget that one... For those that don't know, that actually occurred. A cache was placed (not by me) and when I went to find it there were several guys there playing kick-ball with it. I asked them to please leave it alone and placed it where it was supposed to be. Of course, the next few people trying to find the cache were unsuccessful...the hoodlums had tossed it into the woods. I went back, found it, placed it back again, but evidently was spotted by a trucker (I think) who was also a ways down the parking lot. Well SP was called, possible bomb reported, SWAT team blew it up, and I was notified by Hollora about what had happened. I spent the rest of the day shaking in my shoes thinking I was going to be surrounded by 100 police officers on my way home from work.....thoughts of the ending of the movie Bonnie and Clyde passed before my eyes. One of those stories you just can't make up..... Geez, Jake, you've got the memory of an elephant ;-)

hollora
07-20-2009, 08:08 PM
Ouch!!!! Geez, Jake, I'ved been trying to forget that one... For those that don't know, that actually occurred. A cache was placed (not by me) and when I went to find it there were several guys there playing kick-ball with it. I asked them to please leave it alone and placed it where it was supposed to be. Of course, the next few people trying to find the cache were unsuccessful...the hoodlums had tossed it into the woods. I went back, found it, placed it back again, but evidently was spotted by a trucker (I think) who was also a ways down the parking lot. Well SP was called, possible bomb reported, SWAT team blew it up, and I was notified by Hollora about what had happened. I spent the rest of the day shaking in my shoes thinking I was going to be surrounded by 100 police officers on my way home from work.....thoughts of the ending of the movie Bonnie and Clyde passed before my eyes. One of those stories you just can't make up..... Geez, Jake, you've got the memory of an elephant ;-)

Ah, and to clear my name - how did I become entangled - :confused: Well, I had been talking to the SP Tactical Sgt. about Geocaching at an SP event. :) He knew about Geocaching and we were in a discussion about how people hid things, where they were hidden, permission and stuff like that. He came to know my ID and he had my Geocaching-U brochure in his cruiser.

When they blew the cache apart - a piece of the log had my ID name on it - :p and he thought the cache was mine. Ah, not!

I had found it a bit back - and so seeing my name he called me - as he had my number. It was fun hearing him apolize about the little truck which blew up. ;):eek:;) Anyway, back then - he explained to me that was not the first film cannister cache which had been taken out this way. Bridges without permission and/or the authorities knowing about the placement are not good places for caches. This is an example of what can happen. :(

And I did assure Dan that he was not on any chosen list! ;)

That rest area too - is now under construction again - interesting what may go in............

firefighterjake
07-21-2009, 07:41 AM

HehHeh . . . thought you would appreciate me dredging up that old story . . . but about the memory . . . entirely selective. I can remember things like this, but have the hardest time remembering important things like my wife's birthday (I finally learned to remember that it is Feb. 1st and not Groundhog's Day as I did for the first five years or so of our marriage), taking out the trash every Friday or other important things.

firefighterjake
07-21-2009, 07:43 AM
. . .
And I did assure Dan that he was not on any chosen list! ;)

Actually I hear the cops are just biding their time and waiting for Dan to make another move . . . supposedly they've got the FBI and ATF involved now. ;):D

firefighterjake
07-21-2009, 07:44 AM
. . . .
That rest area too - is now under construction again - interesting what may go in............

Hmmm . . . rest areas . . . I can recall some interesting stories from rest area caches . . . in particular there was this one time at band camp . . . I mean this one time at a rest area near Ellsworth . . . ah, another story, another time, another geocaching experience. :eek::D;)

firefighterjake
07-21-2009, 07:48 AM
I thought that at some events there have been temporary "unlisted" caches put out for educational purposes!? Hence my terming them "Demo Caches". Thanks for the laugh FFJ ;) I didn't think of that one .... lol

Glad you appreciate the laugh . . . but as have no doubt seen by now . . . the truth can be stranger than any fiction this Irish tongue can tell.

Kacky
07-21-2009, 05:43 PM
A demo cache is a secial cache just for the event that isn't lsited on GC.com - it can be used to teach newbies or demonstrate a cool hide. If anyone places a cache, make sure you email Mike Auger at mauger@androscogginlandtrust.org with the final co-ords. He needs to make sure we are not in sensitive spots before it's listed.

Kacky
07-21-2009, 05:44 PM
sheesh you guys are gonna scare people away with your talk of demolition caches!