View Full Version : WhereIGo - Cache in Bangor

hollora
07-27-2009, 10:11 AM
Congrats to Cano for publishing the first WhereIGo for Bangor. It is called Bangor Mini Adventure Wherigo Cache - GC1WCEG. Sure wished I knew how to do this or had the equipment - someday I will figure it out.

Way to go Cano - another dimension in Geocaching Bangor!:)

squirrelcache
07-27-2009, 10:34 AM
Have a laptop w/GPS connectivity!? ;)

Haffy
07-27-2009, 11:08 AM
I think he mentions that you can use his setup for the Wherigo.

hollora
07-27-2009, 11:59 AM
I think he mentions that you can use his setup for the Wherigo.

;);) Yeah, I did read that - we will see. I am not sure I am up for this advanced stuff - but it is cool! :)

masterson of the universe
07-27-2009, 10:46 PM
Any way I can tether my laptop to GPS to do this?

Haffy
07-27-2009, 10:54 PM
You might want to check out the Whereigo list here. http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=200249

squirrelcache
07-28-2009, 12:02 AM
I checked w/Cano and he did not prevent us from running in emulator mode. So try the LT and post your results.

Ekidokai
07-28-2009, 01:43 AM
I just went to a seminar on this and it is a bunch of fun. Be on the lookout for more.

Some Nuvi's will run a wereigo program as Well as some handheld. The information can be found on the wereigo website.

squirrelcache
07-28-2009, 10:32 AM
Yes....I bought a Colorado originally w/the intentions of using it for WhereIgo...instead of upgrading my phone to do it. There are lots of folks out there who don't have the special equipment. What they do have is a Laptop and GPS linkability. You don't see alot of talk about using the laptop in emulator mode because it's a bit cumbersome to carry around. With the introduction of netbook computers, their small size offers much...many of us now have the ability to use our LTs for a whole lot more than just GSAK.. lol

Haffy
07-28-2009, 10:41 AM
I just can't imagine walking through town or on a hike through the woods with a laptop or netbook though. Kind of cumbersome don't you think?

squirrelcache
07-28-2009, 11:14 AM
lol......should have seen me caching for a day w/my Colorado... carrying a heavy external battery source.... and an external antenna attached to my hat ;) I'd take the netbook Any day! A much bigger screen......Faarrr lighter and less cumbersome... and the best mapping you can ask for... lol

hollora
08-01-2009, 04:49 PM
It was nice to see a FTF on Cano's WhereIGo cache in Bangor today. The FTF goes to g-o-cashers and it sounds like well deserved. Congratulations!

Also, some notes were posted about doing this with a Colorado or Oregon.

Ekidokai
08-02-2009, 08:39 AM
I done have time to look up the results of the FTF on the Werigo, but at the meeting several bugs on different machines were talked about and the different ways to fix them. Also it was very interesting on how the Werigo program is set up and the problems and fixes that can be wrote into the adventure.

The werigo caches can be very frustrating if you don't know how the programs are set up and how the devices react to the program.

The program and caches that we did were fantastic though. What a great time we had doing them. It was quit the adventure.

eebee
09-14-2009, 10:26 AM
Had a great time doing this one yesterday afternoon. It was very cleverly done and lots of fun! It certainly was worth delaying my trip back home to stick around until we finished it. A lot of good laughs along the way :-D

benandtina
09-14-2009, 10:45 AM
Cano loaned us what we needed to do this, so we were able to complete it over the weekend as well! I agree with eebee, very clever and lots of fun!

09-05-2010, 08:21 AM
OK, so I got tired of this one being on my list and seeing that I'm starting to get back into caching a little, I was looking for ways to do this one with the equipment that I have. I got a Android phone back in October of last year and was looking for a way to do the WhereiGo on that but it wasn't possible. That has changed now. If you have an Android phone, whether it be through Verizon Wireless, US Celluar, or T-Mobile, there is an app in the market place now called WhereYouGo that allows for you to download the cartridges and do these. I just completed Cano's this morning and eventually when I get down to the Portland area, I'll hit that one as well.
What you do is download the application on your phone to start. After you do that, you have to download the cartridge itself. This can't be done on the phone as the phone doesn't recognize the file extension. You need to download the cartridge on your PC, Netbook, or Mac and save it somewhere you can find it after, like the desktop. Once you do this, either connect the phone to the computer or use your memory card with a reader so you can transfer the cartridge. You need to put the cartridge on the SD card in the WhereYouGo folder that is created by the app. Once you've done this, open the app and when you hit Start, it will display the available cartridges that you've loaded and you can select the one you want to do.
This was a pretty cool little adventure as it is something a little more than reading a description and going for it. The GPS/ phone becomes kind of a story teller. I will say, when using the app, don't plan on using the phone to make/receive calls or respond to text messages as the app doesn't seem to like to save your progress if you navigate away from it. Other than that, I had a good time going through this one this morning. Feel free to PM, email me, or get me on facebook if you want assistance trying to do set your phone up to do this one.

Ekidokai
09-05-2010, 10:32 PM
I did it using my Nuvi and all went extremly well.

NativeMainer
09-05-2010, 11:17 PM
I did it using my Nuvi and all went extremly well.

So, how did you get your nuvi to do there whereigo? I've got the 255W.

JustKev
09-06-2010, 07:48 AM
The Oregon 450 does WhereIGo. Haven't tried it yet though.

brdad
09-06-2010, 08:02 AM
I think the only Nuvis that handle Wherigo is the 500 series.

cano
09-06-2010, 08:06 PM
So, when can we expect more wherigo caches? :)

Ekidokai
09-10-2010, 11:53 AM
Soon as I can get the builder to load and work.

09-10-2010, 01:35 PM
Im working on a some sort of story for one as well. Maybe we can get the whereigo's as dense as the regulars. The cool thing, the story cant be a micro...

cano
09-10-2010, 04:31 PM
Im working on a some sort of story for one as well. Maybe we can get the whereigo's as dense as the regulars. The cool thing, the story cant be a micro...

Maybe we can make whereigo so dense, people from other side of the country will be coming just to play it, like SMR :)
I thought of mine five times bigger, but I had to reduce it. That's why it's called Mini Adventure :)

Mainiac1957
09-10-2010, 04:34 PM
Maybe we can make whereigo so dense, people from other side of the country will be coming just to play it, like SMR :)
I thought of mine five times bigger, but I had to reduce it. That's why it's called Mini Adventure :)

I had a great time doing your mini adventure Cano. Put a few more out will ya!:p

hollora
09-10-2010, 09:23 PM
I had a great time doing your mini adventure Cano. Put a few more out will ya!:p

Yeah - I loved doing this with the group!

Ekidokai
09-11-2010, 01:05 AM
I thought of mine five times bigger, but I had to reduce it.

Yeah I'm sure people have heard that one before.

JustKev
09-11-2010, 06:37 AM
Yeah I'm sure people have heard that one before.

I saw a cartoon with that same subject just yesterday. Can't post it here....it's naughty. :rolleyes::eek::cool: