View Full Version : I had a thought about the whole bites the dust issue

EvilHomer
07-30-2009, 06:01 PM
But someone locked the thread! :(

Anyway, what happens if a cacher passes away? What happens to their caches? What if the owner of that cache in question died and no one here knows about it? How does Groundspeak deal with that? So if you have a cacher who hasnt logged in for the last 3-5 years and they cant be contacted, (abducted by aliens, dead, living in Kabul Afganistan, etc) then why not treat it like they would if someone passed away? I say allow interested parties to "ADOPT" said cache after the publisher types have attempted one last contact with no luck. I would say that it would be up to the local Publisher to make this decision.

dubord207
07-30-2009, 07:05 PM
Evil hit it right on head. First their needs to be a simple process by which the Maine publisher can say "The cache placer is gone, dead, personna non grata. whatever, therefore who wants to take it over?" It really should be that easy, after all we're not taking their home or their kids or their bass boat! If I go then I hereby direct the Maine Publisher to put my caches up for adoption within 20 minutes of my demise!:)

shuman road searchers
07-30-2009, 08:01 PM
What about Nick ,Bo and the beer?:D

tat
07-30-2009, 08:15 PM
The only problem is: (http://support.groundspeak.com/Support/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=94&nav=0,5)

Groundspeak will not process a geocache transfer without written permission from the geocache owner.

Gob-ler
07-30-2009, 08:38 PM
So you make sure someone you trust has your log in information and uses it promptly right after your demise.

Sounds like a plan!

hollora
07-30-2009, 08:43 PM
So you make sure someone you trust has your log in information and uses it promptly right after your demise.

Sounds like a plan!

You got it baby - that works! My kids both know my log in!! They can adopt them or let them be adopted or archive them.

Haffy
07-30-2009, 09:05 PM
But someone locked the thread! :(

Anyway, what happens if a cacher passes away? What happens to their caches? What if the owner of that cache in question died and no one here knows about it? How does Groundspeak deal with that? So if you have a cacher who hasnt logged in for the last 3-5 years and they cant be contacted, (abducted by aliens, dead, living in Kabul Afganistan, etc) then why not treat it like they would if someone passed away? I say allow interested parties to "ADOPT" said cache after the publisher types have attempted one last contact with no luck. I would say that it would be up to the local Publisher to make this decision.

I locked the thread because it was wayyyyy off topic... And it was mine to lock if I so desired and I did....And there are guidelines to follow but if there is enough passion and interest to change them then I suggest you talk with TPTB in changing the guidelines to suit your needs. I too don't agree with the rules the way they stand but they are made to change if there is enough interest to do so.

Hiram357
07-30-2009, 09:06 PM
heh, a last will & testement.... for geocaches... :D

hollora
07-30-2009, 09:15 PM
"TPTB" Haffy - yes, I do not know - what is it?

Haffy
07-30-2009, 09:26 PM
"The powers to be" as in Groundspeak or to put it politely, Jeremy Irish head chief and honcho

brdad
07-30-2009, 11:02 PM
I have to agree with Gob-ler on this one. A cache owner should decide what happens to his cache.

And in the end, isn't the cache the property of the cache owner anyway? One would assume the cache should go to the beneficiary the deceased. It's not up to any one or group of us to decide what happens to it.

squirrelcache
07-30-2009, 11:32 PM
A C.O. puts a cache out on Public property.....for the purpose of furthering the sport of geocaching, and particpating in a different way than just discovering. They abandon that cache down the road for whatever reason. The cache is maintained in some capacity, keeping the original goal and giving credit to the originator. I'm all for it..... last will and testament or not.

As a C.O. you have a Huge responsibility to Maintain your caches!! As we all know....you don't do that.... and others will likely(hopefully) do it for you. Beware that your supposed private property on public property isn't mistaken as geo-trash. We might be the best trail sweepers... but not the only ones. So take your status of C.O. seriously and avoid archival.... well unless the geocaching world deems it too valuable ;)

eebee
07-31-2009, 12:13 PM
Recently, a very active geocacher here in Saint John passed away suddenly. smerrill had a number of caches in the area and I know that there is some talk of adopting them. I will check and see how that is being handled in this case.

We haven't been able to adopt Aefuss' one and only cache, but a group of us have been keeping a regular eye on it.

brdad
07-31-2009, 12:36 PM
Recently, a very active geocacher here in Saint John passed away suddenly. smerrill had a number of caches in the area and I know that there is some talk of adopting them. I will check and see how that is being handled in this case.

We haven't been able to adopt Aefuss' one and only cache, but a group of us have been keeping a regular eye on it.

Aefuss' cache is a perfect example. A great spot worthy of a cache. As soon as this cache is adopted, it will no longer be associated with his account. So it seems to me there is no harm in having it archived and then just resubmitting a copy of the entire cache. Keep the original container where it is and you could even keep the description exactly the way he did it and use his name for the 'Placed By".

The only downfall (is it really a downfall?) is that people have logged this location once would be able to log it again.
You could also add a link to the archived page, or you could even paste all the logs from the original after the cache description.

I also say if it's being maintained I see no problem with leaving things the way they are.

squirrelcache
07-31-2009, 01:20 PM
Last night as I lay in bed looking at the stars I thought 'Where the hell is the ceiling? .

What!? You see stars lately!? Sounds like you've got the location of choice for this summer. You sure you didn't just hit your head? ;)

I just love to see all the different signatures.

fins2right
07-31-2009, 05:49 PM
Aefuss' cache is a perfect example. A great spot worthy of a cache. As soon as this cache is adopted, it will no longer be associated with his account. So it seems to me there is no harm in having it archived and then just resubmitting a copy of the entire cache. Keep the original container where it is and you could even keep the description exactly the way he did it and use his name for the 'Placed By".

The only downfall (is it really a downfall?) is that people have logged this location once would be able to log it again.
You could also add a link to the archived page, or you could even paste all the logs from the original after the cache description.

I also say if it's being maintained I see no problem with leaving things the way they are.

I'm not sure if that would be a downfall. If the cache location is nice enough, I'd like to visit it twice.

rocknrollgrammie
08-01-2009, 09:18 AM
Wait 24 hours after I am buried, if my spirit doesn't come back and post a message, you can then take possession. Also would you check on my grandkids and make sure they are ok? rocknrollgrammie :D

hollora
08-01-2009, 10:09 AM
I'm not sure if that would be a downfall. If the cache location is nice enough, I'd like to visit it twice.

Oh, in my opinion it's nice :) you would want to visit it twice or more. One of my most favorite spots - look at the photos which have been posted! :D

And I think I posted a note about being lost ~ getting there the second time! :o:o

Mapachi
08-01-2009, 08:39 PM
I don't want the publisher to put my caches up for adoption until my will is read. I'm leaving my caches to different cachers.....whether they like it or not!!

SO THERE!