View Full Version : Eustis

kayaking loon
08-01-2009, 12:16 PM
For those who have been to Eustis and like it, or for those who are thinking of coming to this year's event (September 26) you might like to check out some of the information at http:///www.eustismaine.com

Especially check out the info at "The Valley Below" and click on the Song/Video "Below" by Slaid Cleaves.

I'm trying to get some of the brochures to hand out at the Eustis event. And if you have money, the Huts & Trails tour of "the valley below" would be fun! If not, there's always kayaks....

Mapachi
08-01-2009, 08:41 PM
Any place to rent kayaks up there?

Team Richards
08-01-2009, 08:47 PM
We have four kayaks that we are bringing up, one is a tandem and you are welcome to use them.

hollora
08-01-2009, 08:57 PM
I will probably bring mine too if I can find a way to transport it - would love a paddling partner or two.........Team Richards paddled with me last year - more to do.

pm28570
08-01-2009, 09:13 PM
If all goes well, I will be back in the country 2 days and will travel to the event on the 3rd day back. I'm torn......do I cache the area on Saturday or kayak? Jean's got some nice new ones out.....what say you LoisAnn?

I will probably bring mine too if I can find a way to transport it - would love a paddling partner or two.........Team Richards paddled with me last year - more to do.

fins2right
08-02-2009, 07:38 AM
I'm heading up today for a few days of camping and heading up to the event. I can't wait!!:D

kayaking loon
08-02-2009, 08:19 AM
Any place to rent kayaks up there?

You can rent kayaks at The Pines Market (just above Cathedral Pines Campground). Or, if you're staying at the campground, they rent canoes and kayaks. Or... you can borrow one of mine.

kayaking loon
08-02-2009, 08:22 AM
I'm heading up today for a few days of camping and heading up to the event. I can't wait!!:D

Suitedpair is already at the campground. They've been canoeing and finding my island caches. It's best to pick your weather for the lake ones, if it's a great day, go for the lake. If not, there are plenty on the land... And it's usually calmer early or late in the day, unless you like strong head winds.

fins2right
08-03-2009, 04:11 PM
Suitedpair is already at the campground. They've been canoeing and finding my island caches. It's best to pick your weather for the lake ones, if it's a great day, go for the lake. If not, there are plenty on the land... And it's usually calmer early or late in the day, unless you like strong head winds.

We've found two so far and are thinking of dragging out kayaks out to Myers beach to grab another. My arms are hurting a little, but it's a good hurt!:) Almost 80, sun, sun, sun! If not for the useless event we would have never found this area, now we are trying to figure out how to get up here multiple times a year! :D

Haffy
08-03-2009, 04:57 PM
It is surely one of my favorite areas in Maine. We used to camp out at Cathedral Pines many years ago when it only cost $3.50 a night to use the facilities. Goes to show how old I am.. We also used to fish at Sarampas falls for some nice brookies right from the picnic area. The good old days!!!

vicbiker
08-05-2009, 10:49 PM
Cheryl and I are planning on spending our first year anniversary, next week, in Eustis...depending on the weather. Doing a little camping and some kayaking.

Hiram357
08-06-2009, 06:51 AM
Cheryl and I are planning on spending our first year anniversary, next week, in Eustis...depending on the weather. Doing a little camping and some kayaking.

wow, has it been a year already????? congrats :D

not much better place to spend it than up there. :D

pm28570
08-06-2009, 08:09 AM
Congratulations! Enjoy life.

firefighterjake
08-06-2009, 03:00 PM
Cheryl and I are planning on spending our first year anniversary, next week, in Eustis...depending on the weather. Doing a little camping and some kayaking . . .

"a little camping and some kayaking" . . . and ____________________ (I figured I would let you fill in the final blank.)

Aw, get your mind out of the gutter . . . I was thinking "and cooking up hotdogs and taking long walks along the lake front beach and watching the night stars." :D

vicbiker
08-06-2009, 10:25 PM
Aw, get your mind out of the gutter . . . I was thinking "and cooking up hotdogs and taking long walks along the lake front beach and watching the night stars." :D I thought we might also look for "monkeys"...isn't that what you did on your vacation...do they have monkeys in Eustis?

firefighterjake
08-07-2009, 07:16 AM
I thought we might also look for "monkeys"...isn't that what you did on your vacation...do they have monkeys in Eustis?

And here I thought you were thinking something much different . . . that's exactly what I was thinking . . . look for monkeys . . . I'm not sure if there are any monkeys in Eustis though.

fins2right
08-10-2009, 04:51 PM
It is surely one of my favorite areas in Maine. We used to camp out at Cathedral Pines many years ago when it only cost $3.50 a night to use the facilities. Goes to show how old I am.. We also used to fish at Sarampas falls for some nice brookies right from the picnic area. The good old days!!!

At $22 for a site, water/electric it's still the best deal in the State. I paid $37 in N.H. Again, huge thank you's to KL. We got most of the island caches and plus a few inland. I got a chance to pop in and visit for a minute and bug her for a few hints, plus my kids love her. Plus I dropped off the biggest TB I've ever found off at her "home" cache. If anyone wants a fun TB, swing on up and introduce yourself to "norey" I cannot wait to go up in Sept.

WhereRWe?
08-10-2009, 05:43 PM
Plus I dropped off the biggest TB I've ever found off at her "home" cache. If anyone wants a fun TB, swing on up and introduce yourself to "norey" I cannot wait to go up in Sept.

Sheesh! Thanks for reminding me that I haven't posted a "Cindy the Cinderblock TB (http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?guid=13b1a541-9283-486a-b12e-c39d530aad70)" update in a while!

dubord207
08-10-2009, 06:04 PM
OKAY, I didn't start this thread, and don't want to derail it, but my caching friend PAT said he used to have a monkey and he said monkeys can be nasty and while you're training YOUR MONKEY, you need to be careful you don't spend too much time with the monkey otherwise YOUR WIFE MIGHT GET JEALOUS!:)

I thought we might also look for "monkeys"...isn't that what you did on your vacation...do they have monkeys in Eustis?

vicbiker
08-10-2009, 09:25 PM
OKAY, I didn't start this thread, and don't want to derail it, but my caching friend PAT said he used to have a monkey and he said monkeys can be nasty and while you're training YOUR MONKEY, you need to be careful you don't spend too much time with the monkey otherwise YOUR WIFE MIGHT GET JEALOUS!:)Dan, there is definitely a good line here...but I'm not going anywhere near it.:)

Haffy
08-11-2009, 12:07 AM
Sheesh! Thanks for reminding me that I haven't posted a "Cindy the Cinderblock TB (http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?guid=13b1a541-9283-486a-b12e-c39d530aad70)" update in a while!

Thanks to me, Cindy finally got on the road after being in limbo for some time.;)

brdad
08-11-2009, 05:53 AM
Thanks to me, Cindy finally got on the road after being in limbo for some time.;)

If it wasn't for me, Cindy may never have made it to Maine to begin with; I lugged her what seemed like two miles (but was probably closer to 1/2 mile) through the woods from a cache in Mass.

Ekidokai
08-11-2009, 03:27 PM
Has anyone contacted that woman. She has had it for a long time.

squirrelcache
08-11-2009, 05:36 PM
Has anyone contacted that woman. She has had it for a long time.

Isn't that something to recommend to the single and more available caching men!? ;)

hollora
08-11-2009, 06:14 PM
Isn't that something to recommend to the single and more available caching men!? ;)

Well, Ekidokai should have been on it......but, with all due respect - Do we have a tread for TB discussion and coins? Any chance to get this thread of kayakingloon's back on thread.

Has anyone been in touch with the campground - space still available for that weekend?

dubord207
08-11-2009, 08:02 PM
Di and I and the beer drinking dogs are in 15, right next to the beach. Going up Thursday.

hollora
08-11-2009, 08:09 PM
Di and I and the beer drinking dogs are in 15, right next to the beach. Going up Thursday.

Woot - need to call - and the beach is near the playground for kids......I am hoping to get something from Wednesday on ..........thanks Dan.

Eustis - resume the discussion about the Useless...........some nice new caches going out. Also the potential for some FTFs if folks don't go up this month.

Some of the out A stata's should come up and they would have a run up here too. A tad different than the SMR but a nice run regardless..........

pm28570
08-11-2009, 09:11 PM
I'm going Friday, will be in 16 with a dog-proof cooler. You'd think that dog had opposing thumbs the way he can open a beer. ;) Haven't decided about the kayak yet.
End of August finds me back at Azicohos for some R&R and caching NH.

pm28570
08-11-2009, 09:16 PM
Thanks for the nudge LoisAnn. Yup, KL's been busy setting a few that look pretty nice, looking forwarding to doing them. Hard to believe that some of them are still unfound.

Eustis - resume the discussion about the Useless...........some nice new caches going out. Also the potential for some FTFs if folks don't go up this month.

hollora
08-11-2009, 09:35 PM
;-) oh yeah, KL has put out some great ones for sure. This is an event which hits my extended family right during hunting season which is great..........and folks - do remember - there is Native land up there when hunting is open during this event. Or that was the case last year.

Regardless - a great bunch of caches to find - and what better time and space then being over there for an event............love it!

vicbiker
08-12-2009, 09:09 AM
Cheryl and I are camping there Thurs to Sunday...hoping for some caching and a little kayaking plus just some time relaxing....can never spend to much time in Eustis....one of my favorite places in Me.

Kaching Karen
08-13-2009, 08:55 AM
Jon and I will be arriving on Saturday. I have a triathlon in the morning. I'm still bringing my bike and kayak! Vic,Tat, you better be ready to roam!

team moxiepup
08-15-2009, 07:56 AM
We just spent a wonderful weekend camping up there. We hit our first kayak island cache and Moxie had her first kayak ride. She even got to run wild on the islands. :D
We saw loons several times and saw one pop up right beside the boat.