View Full Version : caching kids

whyvon
08-01-2009, 08:54 PM
I often take my grandkids caching... AncaZO is 5 and Dragon of AnCAzo is 7. One evening while visiting with their mom on a break from work at an eatery near the Bangor Mall, we we all hanging out in the parking lot out back. I saw AncaZO was checking all the lamp posts. I asked her if she was looking for a cache and she giggled and told me yes. Guess you're never too young to have caching on your mind!

robt
08-02-2009, 10:20 AM
I take my 3 yo grandson caching all the time, He is not much into find the cache but loves the out side time.

EMSDanel
08-02-2009, 10:44 AM
If they are sent to school with a lunch box, make sure it's an ammo can......

Ekidokai
08-02-2009, 12:30 PM
I can see it now, school evacuated for lunch box bomb threat.

fins2right
08-10-2009, 09:55 PM
I can see it now, school evacuated for lunch box bomb threat.

Great, another thing for me to worry about :D:D

hollora
08-10-2009, 10:32 PM
Have been taking Amara with me since she was a baby. We have learned: Don't let the child teethe on the Etrex! The buttons on the side easily come off (in their mouth). Binkies when child is in a back pack better be thethered - that an mittens. Beware if they are in a sled - they may want to walk on the trail and need snow shoes - but over all - I figure......introduce them young - they may love it.

No matter what - teach them the rules and make sure they are safe. Cache on - cache happy!

squirrelcache
08-10-2009, 11:16 PM
Sharpen your senses....... they think outside the box better than most of us Adults!!

Their vertical challenge and small hands are unfair advantages!

Let them hold the GPS.......keeps them busy and gives you a better chance in finding spots while not chasing the arrow.

Get them their own ID when older..... gives them a sense of more involvement and planning. It also gives them motivation to get their friends' families out on the trails.

firefighterjake
08-11-2009, 07:32 AM
Hmmm . . . these are great ideas. I'll have to remember them when I go out caching with Hiram. :) ;)

hide_from_the_kids
08-11-2009, 09:03 AM
Have been taking Amara with me since she was a baby. We have learned: Don't let the child teethe on the Etrex! The buttons on the side easily come off (in their mouth). Binkies when child is in a back pack better be thethered - that an mittens. Beware if they are in a sled - they may want to walk on the trail and need snow shoes - but over all - I figure......introduce them young - they may love it.

No matter what - teach them the rules and make sure they are safe. Cache on - cache happy!

I laughed when you said that about the etrex as we had that experience when our youngest was 10 months old (he's now three). We fortunately had other helpers to get the stuff that flys out of the backpack as he figured out how to undo tethers very quickly (and was usually more fun then playing with the stuff).

Mapachi
08-11-2009, 09:29 AM
I laughed when you said that about the etrex as we had that experience when our youngest was 10 months old (he's now three). We fortunately had other helpers to get the stuff that flys out of the backpack as he figured out how to undo tethers very quickly (and was usually more fun then playing with the stuff).
Yep! He'll eat the rubber seal off an e-Trex too! Isn't it true Jamie? Ha Ha! (Garmin repaired it for free! when I had to send it in for another problem)

hide_from_the_kids
08-11-2009, 10:19 AM
Yep! He'll eat the rubber seal off an e-Trex too! Isn't it true Jamie? Ha Ha! (Garmin repaired it for free! when I had to send it in for another problem)
yes its true something about the rubber on an etrex that my boy loves. he had a chunk missing off pats in a matter of seconds. while pat and i were talking about a cache we placed together. even after taking it from him we knew he wanted more.

brdad
08-11-2009, 10:51 AM
(Garmin repaired it for free! when I had to send it in for another problem)

I was impressed a year or so ago when I called Garmin and told them I had two etrex's with failing gaskets, they mailed me two and the glue for free. No questions asked.

hide_from_the_kids
08-11-2009, 11:00 AM
maybe i should call them for my etrex

TRF
08-11-2009, 11:16 AM
maybe i should call them for my etrex

You should! Recently, I called Garminto get a gasket for my Vista C, they stated that if I wanted too they would refurb the whole unit for $25.00. I sent it last week and haven't recieved it back as of yet. They did say it would take approximately two weeks to get it back to me once they recieved it.

Ekidokai
08-11-2009, 12:26 PM
Wow, great service. That's nice to hear.

Haffy
08-11-2009, 04:24 PM
[QUOTE=Mapachi;55696](Garmin repaired it for free! when I had to send it in for another problem)

I was impressed a year or so ago when I called Garmin and told them I had two etrex's with failing gaskets, they mailed me two and the glue for free. No questions asked.

I tried just 2 days ago to get my old etrex a new rubber for mine and they said it would cost me 89 bux. I told them it has been a known problem for years and I refused to pay that price. They then emailed me back and they said they would do it for 45 bux. I told them to pretty much shove it and said I would probably do my business with Delorme from now on since I have been a Garmin owner for all these years owning other Garmins as well. Who did you talk with anyway?

brdad
08-11-2009, 04:56 PM
I think I called tech support.

Haffy
08-11-2009, 05:11 PM
That's who I talked with and that was the answer they gave me. Looks like I'll have to live with the old beat up Vista for a while longer. Besides it has character now...lol

squirrelcache
08-11-2009, 05:34 PM
I own five Garmins....used to have a Colorado. I was told by geocachers to stay on Garmin until they gave me satisfactory service w/the Colorado. I told Garmin that I'd push my new Delorme if they didn't make me happy.....and that's what I've done since :( Sold my Colorado before it was a year old!! The geocachers meant well in telling me to stay on Cust. Serv., what they didn't tell me is that you have to Talk to a rep. in order to get what you want. I guess e-mail isn't a good idea, even if you want a paper trail. And if you don't get what you want from one....hang up and keep trying until you do :( So sadly it'll be quite a while before I buy another High End geocaching Garmin.

firefighterjake
08-12-2009, 07:44 AM
So . . . how 'bout those Magellans. ;) :)

Sorry, couldn't help myself . . . just casting a baited line and expecting Hiram to say something . . . or see the "cardboard Magellan" photo make it's appearance again. ;)

Ekidokai
08-12-2009, 09:34 AM
It's funny, kids don't seem to care what kind of device you have. Or even if it really works. They just love the hunt and treasure.

JFamilySebec
03-26-2010, 07:38 PM
I was heading home from work the other day and saw an SUV pulled off to the side of the road. My 4 year old yelled "he must be looking for a cache!" LOL!. (In reality, he was changing a tire, on a hill, in the pouring rain).

pm28570
03-27-2010, 07:03 AM

Great to see HFTK!