View Full Version : Maine Animals

kayaking loon
08-13-2009, 04:09 PM
Is anyone here an expert on Maine wildlife (the woods kind, not the beer and pizza kind). I've been hearing this animal at night for maybe four years now but only two or three times a year. The first time was just before dawn and I thought it was an animal that had been badly injured. It makes a very loud and scary sound. Last night it passed by around 10:30. I could hear it in the distance coming down the woods road out back. Then it crossed into the woods near our house and I could follow it's progress by the howls. It seems to howl loudly with every breath. Takes a deep breath, lets it all out with a hiss-like sound at the end, another breath, another howl, step by step. I could tell when it crossed the end of our property and a bit after that it fell silent (probably going to get a Canada goose for dinner). This morning I went out and found the tracks for the first time, got a digital photo. The first track was 5" long but that may have been a bit large because it came down off a bank and landed hard. The second track was 4" from heel to end of claws. It looks like it may have 5 claws. It sounds really nasty. I've heard bobcats (they scream), even had one of those dying on my porch this winter. And I know the sound raccoons make when they're fighting, and coyotes howling. But this is different from anything I've ever heard. And I'd love to know what it is. I'm currently trying to find a tape recorder so I can tape it the next time it goes by, which will probably be months from now. Any ideas? I've asked everyone around here and they don't know...:eek:

Hiram357
08-13-2009, 04:17 PM
Is anyone here an expert on Maine wildlife (the woods kind, not the beer and pizza kind). I've been hearing this animal at night for maybe four years now but only two or three times a year. The first time was just before dawn and I thought it was an animal that had been badly injured. It makes a very loud and scary sound. Last night it passed by around 10:30. I could hear it in the distance coming down the woods road out back. Then it crossed into the woods near our house and I could follow it's progress by the howls. It seems to howl loudly with every breath. Takes a deep breath, lets it all out with a hiss-like sound at the end, another breath, another howl, step by step. I could tell when it crossed the end of our property and a bit after that it fell silent (probably going to get a Canada goose for dinner). This morning I went out and found the tracks for the first time, got a digital photo. The first track was 5" long but that may have been a bit large because it came down off a bank and landed hard. The second track was 4" from heel to end of claws. It looks like it may have 5 claws. It sounds really nasty. I've heard bobcats (they scream), even had one of those dying on my porch this winter. And I know the sound raccoons make when they're fighting, and coyotes howling. But this is different from anything I've ever heard. And I'd love to know what it is. I'm currently trying to find a tape recorder so I can tape it the next time it goes by, which will probably be months from now. Any ideas? I've asked everyone around here and they don't know...:eek:

a Fisher maybe? Did it look anything like these guys... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fisher_(animal)

and here's a link with some fisher tracks... http://home.mcn.net/~wtu/tracking.html

dubord207
08-13-2009, 04:36 PM
Sounds exactly like a fisher. A very clever animal and they can also make a whine like a tomcat in an effort to lure house cats, one of their favorite things to eat. Do you have cats that go outside?

Haffy
08-13-2009, 05:03 PM
This one had me wondering so I found this site that might help identify it.

http://fishercatscreech.com/

WhereRWe?
08-13-2009, 05:09 PM
I agree with the above. We often have fishers around our house, and once you've heard one screeching at night, you'll never forget it. LOL!

Once it was light enough at night, and the fisher was in the road right in front of the house, so I was definitely able to identify it as a fisher.

kayaking loon
08-13-2009, 05:23 PM
I've been thinking it might be a fisher. I just turned on the audio to one of the links somebody sent and that sounds exactly like what I hear. The audio also scared all the chipmunks that were just dining on sunflower seeds on the porch, so I had to turn the audio off.. :)

Vic and Cheryl were just here so I showed Vic the photos of the tracks. He didn't know what it was but agreed it had big feet. Usually I'll chase after any animal I hear or see but that one makes me want to hide under the bed.

No, we have no cats, no pets and no neighbors..... But I feed anything that moves! But maybe not a fisher....

Thanks, guys. I think I know what it is now.

pm28570
08-13-2009, 06:24 PM
At first, a lynx came to mind based on your description of the track. They have really large paws compared to the rest of the leg or body. I think it's a fisher as well.

WhereRWe?
08-13-2009, 07:18 PM
Sheesh! I really jumped to conclusions on this one, and we may all be totally wrong!

Has anyone asked Hiram if he's been in the Eustis area lately?

;);)

attroll
08-13-2009, 10:26 PM
Porcupines and Raccoons do the same thing.

kayaking loon
08-14-2009, 07:33 AM
Porcupines and Raccoons do the same thing.

I still think it's a fisher. It's not a feline track, I spent one winter tracking bobcats all over the woods around here (just for fun, I like to track animals, especially in the snow). And it moves too fast for a porky and doesn't sound at all like a raccoon. But the audio that was in Haffy's link sounds exactly like it. However..... I haven't checked out Hiram's footprints yet. Could someone send me a photo of one? :D

And Charron can apparently tell stories about a "lugaroo", or at least her father did.... so maybe she'll tell us campfire stories at the Eustis event? Maybe we'll have a best scary story competition!

TRF
08-14-2009, 08:15 AM
. However..... I haven't checked out Hiram's footprints yet. Could someone send me a photo of one? :D

A footprint found near Hiram's (http://tbn3.google.com/images?q=tbn:9hbjfP8Vd0OcPM:http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_lSC-vZM6ayQ/R1hSV3cod8I/AAAAAAAAAYA/SjaDnv4S1q4/s320/foorprint.jpg)mailbox. This photo was taken shortly after Hiram checked his mail.

:D:D:D

attroll
08-14-2009, 02:21 PM
I have to agree not that I listen to Haffy's sound track. It does not sound like a coon if that is the sound your hearing. A coon is more like a screaming sound.

Hiram357
08-14-2009, 02:59 PM
I still think it's a fisher. It's not a feline track, I spent one winter tracking bobcats all over the woods around here (just for fun, I like to track animals, especially in the snow). And it moves too fast for a porky and doesn't sound at all like a raccoon. But the audio that was in Haffy's link sounds exactly like it. However..... I haven't checked out Hiram's footprints yet. Could someone send me a photo of one? :D

And Charron can apparently tell stories about a "lugaroo", or at least her father did.... so maybe she'll tell us campfire stories at the Eustis event? Maybe we'll have a best scary story competition!

If you follow the links I posted there are pictures of fishers too.

Hiram357
08-14-2009, 03:00 PM
A footprint found near Hiram's (http://tbn3.google.com/images?q=tbn:9hbjfP8Vd0OcPM:http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_lSC-vZM6ayQ/R1hSV3cod8I/AAAAAAAAAYA/SjaDnv4S1q4/s320/foorprint.jpg)mailbox. This photo was taken shortly after Hiram checked his mail.

:D:D:D

Oddly enough that was also the same night FFJ dropped a 6pack of Guinness off at my house... :rolleyes::rolleyes::D

kayaking loon
08-14-2009, 07:00 PM
If you follow the links I posted there are pictures of fishers too.

Yes, I know what fishers look like, I just never get to see this guy because he only comes when it's pitch dark and I don't feel like running after him with a flashlight! He just doesn't sound that friendly. I did see a marten once, a very beautiful animal. And there are mink around and a weasel at times at my "feeding stump". And fox, coyotes, and raccoons by the dozen, and bear...

By the way, nice footprint, Hiram! But it doesn't look like the track I found, so the best guess is still fisher.

pm28570
08-14-2009, 09:29 PM
KL, have you given thought to using a "motion detector" camera?

Yes, I know what fishers look like, I just never get to see this guy because he only comes when it's pitch dark and I don't feel like running after him with a flashlight! He just doesn't sound that friendly. I did see a marten once, a very beautiful animal. And there are mink around and a weasel at times at my "feeding stump". And fox, coyotes, and raccoons by the dozen, and bear...

Ekidokai
08-14-2009, 10:08 PM
Or wolfs bane.

squirrelcache
08-15-2009, 12:15 AM
KL, have you given thought to using a "motion detector" camera?

Game trail cameras are awesome!! Just as we all discovered the downfall in going from film to digital, and having to deal w/the delay in shooting... the same applies. There are some game cams that have a quicker and much better response time. Keep that in mind when researching/purchasing. Otherwise you'll only be catching pictures of the the backside at best. ;)

Haffy
08-15-2009, 09:56 AM
Cuddeback makes probably one of the best game cameras.

http://www.cuddeback.com/

fins2right
08-15-2009, 12:40 PM
Or wolfs bane.

Ahhh, it's good to be back in Maine. :D Plus our caches do not have cockroaches in them. :eek:

hide_from_the_kids
08-15-2009, 01:09 PM
Ahhh, it's good to be back in Maine. :D Plus our caches do not have cockroaches in them. :eek:
i wonder if its one of those giant hissing cockroaches thats making the sound.:D

attroll
08-15-2009, 03:03 PM
Cuddeback makes probably one of the best game cameras.

http://www.cuddeback.com/
Have you had an experience with these Haffy?

Haffy
08-15-2009, 03:48 PM
Only from watching the Outdoor Channel....lol

kayaking loon
08-15-2009, 04:52 PM
Or wolfs bane.

But... it's not a werewolf!!:eek:

masterson of the universe
08-15-2009, 05:44 PM
My parents have fishers around their house. They lose at least one cat bi-annually and have seen several around their property. Oddly enough, they keep replacing the cats to keep the red squirrel and chipmonk population limited.

kayaking loon
08-16-2009, 07:50 AM
My parents have fishers around their house. They lose at least one cat bi-annually and have seen several around their property. Oddly enough, they keep replacing the cats to keep the red squirrel and chipmonk population limited.

We have no cats anymore and it's nice being pet-free after all these years. I have noticed the red squirrel population is way down and I'm happy about that. One year we live-trapped 16 of them and moved them far, far away. But we love chipmunks! They don't get into houses (they live in burrows in the ground), they are cute and friendly and will eat right out of your hand. My daughter had them all named one year and they actually all have different personalities. Just like having a bunch of very small people running around on the porch. Speaking of which, one is at the door now, begging for sunflower seeds so I have to go.....

firefighterjake
08-18-2009, 12:07 PM
Oddly enough that was also the same night FFJ dropped a 6pack of Guinness off at my house... :rolleyes::rolleyes::D

. . . but apparently someone thought it was poisoned and dumped it all down the drain.

Remind me again how I got dragged into this one? ;):D

firefighterjake
08-18-2009, 12:09 PM
We have no cats anymore and it's nice being pet-free after all these years. I have noticed the red squirrel population is way down and I'm happy about that. One year we live-trapped 16 of them and moved them far, far away. But we love chipmunks! They don't get into houses (they live in burrows in the ground), they are cute and friendly and will eat right out of your hand. My daughter had them all named one year and they actually all have different personalities. Just like having a bunch of very small people running around on the porch. Speaking of which, one is at the door now, begging for sunflower seeds so I have to go.....

I agree . . . I love chipmunks. Unfortunately, my cat Theodore Roosevelt likes chipmunks even more than I do. :(

firefighterjake
08-18-2009, 12:12 PM

What I don't like are gray squirrels . . . had some issues with some a few years back getting into my attic and even the upstairs bathroom. I've since fixed the problem although they now try to eat all of the seed in my birdfeeder . . . . I mean catfeeder . . . although this year the population does seem to be down somewhat.

I think it must be a natural downturn in population since the only cat that has a "thing" for the gray squirrels is Miss Lucky and she weighs less than the squirrels -- she thinks she is panther though and will actually chase them even if they do outweigh her.

firefighterjake
08-18-2009, 12:17 PM
I'm not a big fan of the fisher (although I realize that every animal has its place just like people -- although the word is still out on Hiram ;) :) ) . . . I had a cat many years ago -- Patches -- that was mauled by a fisher. She survived, but I'll never forget how she was tore open -- intestines exposed. Lucky to survive, but she was never the same after that experience as it traumatized her . . . you would pet her and she would just glower at you and purr and then hiss at the same time . . . spent most of the rest of her life just glowering at us from the top of the steps or behind the hallway french door.

Team V3
08-18-2009, 04:00 PM
I'm not a big fan of the fisher (although I realize that every animal has its place just like people -- although the word is still out on Hiram ;) :) ) . . . I had a cat many years ago -- Patches -- that was mauled by a fisher. She survived, but I'll never forget how she was tore open -- intestines exposed. Lucky to survive, but she was never the same after that experience as it traumatized her . . . you would pet her and she would just glower at you and purr and then hiss at the same time . . . spent most of the rest of her life just glowering at us from the top of the steps or behind the hallway french door.

Woah that is rough. That must have been hard to go through. I have always been one of the types of people that feels that pets become more than pets and become more like family members. I definitely feel for ya.

benandtina
08-18-2009, 04:04 PM

That's so sad :( I'm sorry you had to go through that! I can't imagine.

firefighterjake
08-19-2009, 07:35 AM
Thanks BenandTina and Team V3 . . . this happened several years ago though . . . and Patches has since gone up to the great catnip field in the sky.