View Full Version : Doggy Paddle

team moxiepup
08-23-2009, 09:22 PM
We decided to try out our new transportation today.:D We put it in on the river behind our house and paddled up stream to the covered bridge, on our return trip the skies opened up and we were soaked by the time we returned to the boat launch. We have decided to name her "Doggy Paddle" Moxie is getting her sea legs and even took the point for a bit.
We are looking forward to new caching experiences in the kayak. If anyone has any helpful hints on owning a kayak please share.

squirrelcache
08-23-2009, 10:06 PM
I'm new to kayaks myself. I would think it would be similar to taking a dog for most paddling sports. Take it slow...training them and yourself as you go. I can't see your set up in the pic. There's a big difference between launching from a dock vs. shore. Getting the pet to understand they have to sit still the whole time can be hard. Like a good hunting dog...teach them to stay....even when you walk away. Teaching them the command "leave it" is extremely important to their safety and yours.

Looks like you already have a doggie vest!? A quick release leash is smart...and never hooked to the boat. If necessary..to yourself so you can unhook it.

It's all kinda like taking a toddler, in many ways. We all want to do it..... and just need to assess how/if we can do it safely. Have fun...and good luck.

Mainiac1957
08-24-2009, 06:20 AM
I have taken Jock and Sweetie kayaking since I got my boat. The behave quite well. Jock sits on the forward deck and Sweetie in the cockpit. Once in awhile Jock falls off and I just grab the handle on his life jacket and haul him in.

squirrelcache
08-24-2009, 07:01 AM
...... Jock sits on the forward deck .....
Looks like you made him a place to lay, and keep his feet from getting too hot on the deck?

masterson of the universe
08-24-2009, 07:04 AM
When my family invested in some smaller kayaks a few years back we learned quickly that if you are exploring small streams and rivers that there are really very few things to have to worry about. Small rapids and sections you are uncomfortable with, get out and walk the river for a little ways and really take the time to assess what you are about to do. We didn't the first couple times playing out near the Emerson Mill road and my brother ended up dumping in a pretty swift current. He got to shore fine but we had a bitch of a time getting his boat uprighted and to shore not really knowing any techniques or anything. Obviously, if you doing these types of paddles, dry bags are highly recommended for any camera equipment or techy toys and make sure they aren't loose in the boat. Clip em in somewhere as what good is a dry bag if your camera is sitting at the bottom of the river.

Sudonim
08-25-2009, 01:28 PM
We decided to try out our new transportation today.:D We put it in on the river behind our house and paddled up stream to the covered bridge, on our return trip the skies opened up and we were soaked by the time we returned to the boat launch. We have decided to name her "Doggy Paddle" Moxie is getting her sea legs and even took the point for a bit.
We are looking forward to new caching experiences in the kayak. If anyone has any helpful hints on owning a kayak please share.

That's a nice picture of Moxie, she looks like the captain on the deck!