View Full Version : If you or a loved one text while driving

Haffy
08-25-2009, 08:24 AM
This will certainly be an eyeopener:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGE8LzRaySk

squirrelcache
08-25-2009, 09:20 AM
Thank you for sharing a wonderful and important reminder. I'd not seen that one before.

People have gotten down on folks for driving large SUVs and Trucks. I come from a long history of personal/family EMT/Rescue work. All I have to say is live and let live.

I've seen and lived through tragic accidents! My sister-in-law survived a head-on collision driving a huge gas guzzling SUV..while others died. My brother-in-law and cousins just survived a head-on while in a truck. Saving a few bucks on gas isn't worth your life! I survived getting hit by a car while on motorcycle. My Brother survived being hit on a bicycle. Life is the highest order....at all costs.

So team2hunt.....I commend you for wanting to keep your loved ones safe!! No one should ever fault a parent for that, no matter what their personal agenda is....

attroll
08-25-2009, 09:30 AM
Thank you Haffy. That is a real eye opener.

TRF
08-25-2009, 09:41 AM
Thank you for sharing a wonderful and important reminder. I'd not seen that one before.

People have gotten down on folks for driving large SUVs and Trucks. I come from a long history of personal/family EMT/Rescue work. All I have to say is live and let live.

I've seen and lived through tragic accidents! My sister-in-law survived a head-on collision driving a huge gas guzzling SUV..while others died. My brother-in-law and cousins just survived a head-on while in a truck. Saving a few bucks on gas isn't worth your life! I survived getting hit by a car while on motorcycle. My Brother survived being hit on a bicycle. Life is the highest order....at all costs.

So team2hunt.....I commend you for wanting to keep your loved ones safe!! No one should ever fault a parent for that, no matter what their personal agenda is....

Holy moly. Remind me not to ride with anyone from your family. You folks must have bad luck. Been working ems/fire for a bit and while I'll concede there are truly some tragic accidents most are cause by Head-up- <blank> syndrome or plain stupidity. The size of the vehicle will not protect you if you hit a bridge abuttment at 75 mph nor should the size of the vehicle allow one to drive less attentively. I responded to a suicide by vehicle a few years ago where a person took a small vehicle at a high rate of speed into an oncoming dump truck fully loaded travelling at a moderate rate of speed. While I'm sure it wasn't the intent of the suicidal person they also managed to kill the dump truck driver because the dump truck driver was ejected out of the windshield and got tangled up in the momentum of the 80000 pound truck. The seatbelt, had it been used, may or may not have saved that person life.

squirrelcache
08-25-2009, 10:11 AM
Holy moly. Remind me not to ride with anyone from your family. You folks must have bad luck. .......... I responded to a suicide by vehicle a few years ago where a person took a small vehicle at a high rate of speed into an oncoming dump truck fully loaded travelling at a moderate rate of speed. .......
lol.....never thought about it. I don't like to ride w/others....and tend to drive newer vehicles.

Interesting you should mention that...another brother-in-law(Large Familes) had a suicide driver take out his fairly new crane truck w/him in it. He was ok.......the emotional scar is another story.

It's amazing how much we take for granted when getting into a vehicle... driving down the road... getting from point A to point B.

Ekidokai
08-25-2009, 10:46 AM
Yeah I have seen it all too.

I was a transport driver for a nursing home for a while. The employer would not stay off the phone. On almost every trip I would have to answer at least one call from them while driving. I even was reprimanded for it when I was short with them on the phone.

squirrelcache
08-25-2009, 10:49 AM
We have bluetooth/hands free voice calls........wonder when they'll install voice recognition software for cellphone texting ;)

Waterski
08-25-2009, 01:26 PM
Did any of you just see in the paper the new distracted driver law that was passed by Maine? It mentioned warnings for a bit, then tickets.
I need to find out more about it, but it was in yesterdays Portland I think . Not just tickets for phones, but eating, putting on makeup I guess:-) ??and whatever they determine .....

Ekidokai
08-26-2009, 12:28 AM
Sounds easy to fight.

hide_from_the_kids
08-26-2009, 08:48 AM
Did any of you just see in the paper the new distracted driver law that was passed by Maine? It mentioned warnings for a bit, then tickets.
I need to find out more about it, but it was in yesterdays Portland I think . Not just tickets for phones, but eating, putting on makeup I guess:-) ??and whatever they determine .....
HERE IS ONE OF THE ARTICLES ON THIS:http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0geuymuLJVKG0UA8o1XNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTEyamVqMGt 2BHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDNQRjb2xvA2FjMgR2dGlkA0gzOTNfNzY-/SIG=125t37oc7/EXP=1251376686/**http%3a//www.bangordailynews.com/detail/117304.html