View Full Version : Hunting Season

Team2hunt
08-30-2009, 10:48 AM
It is almost that time of year again, and I have noticed that the links on the front page are backwards. The Maine link is OK, but the Vermont and New Hampshire links are reversed. Can this be corrected? I would be worried someone would click on the link and not notice the incorrect states page and have the wrong season or dates. Thanks so much for keeping this on the front page.

Here is the new Maine site: http://www.maine.gov/ifw/hunting_trapping/hunting/dates_limits_2009.htm

Francis Family
08-31-2009, 08:30 PM
Another important hunting fact... the Penobscot and Passamaquoddy tribes in Maine have hunting seasons which fall outside of the standard state season dates. Archery season starts on Penobscot tribal land September 1, 2009.

Haffy
08-31-2009, 09:01 PM
Another important hunting fact... the Penobscot and Passamaquoddy tribes in Maine have hunting seasons which fall outside of the standard state season dates. Archery season starts on Penobscot tribal land September 1, 2009.

Just curious but are there any caches on tribal lands? And is there a policy regarding caching on those lands?

Francis Family
09-01-2009, 08:32 PM
I am not sure on the specific number of caches on tribal lands but yes there are some. Some of the caches in Carrabassett Valley fall within Penobscot land. There are a few caches up in the Springfield area that are also within tribal land- both Penobscot and Passamaquoddy.

hollora
09-01-2009, 11:02 PM
Francis Family, I will add here, - did not respond to the issue of a "policy" regarding caches. Perhaps, because they is not a definitive answer for either a policy or lack thereof within their knowledge base. I suspect, without specific authority or permission, and/or without the same from easments or trail agreements (of which permission may have been obtained from the other authorities) no one has permission to place caches on tribal lands.

I would presume, a prudent cacher would obtain permission from either a land manager, management company or other responsible party before placing caches on land.

Obtaining permission, regardless of tribal land or not, is becoming a more vital part of responsible cache placement. No more assuming, which makes a you know what out of us all, that placing a cache in a right of way or whatever is ok.

In fact, I support being a proponent of adding what is on the Earthcache publication page = a place to note who is the property owner, contact information and who gave permission. This, all, being an intregal part of the publication of an Earthcache page. I support this becoming part of the publication of any cache page. JMHO

squirrelcache
09-02-2009, 08:46 AM
I agree and think it would be very responsible of a C.O. to note the land manager and source for permission. Sounds like a new thread I thought about starting ;) Just not sure I want to be the one to ruffle folks feathers :D

Haffy
09-02-2009, 09:31 AM
Better to have a few ruffled feathers than a caching ban altogether. This is what has happened here: I have a couple of posts on that thread regarding this. Sorry for getting off topic Gary.

http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=230291

Team2hunt
09-02-2009, 06:55 PM
Better to have a few ruffled feathers than a caching ban altogether. This is what has happened here: I have a couple of posts on that thread regarding this. Sorry for getting off topic Gary.

http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=230291

I'm good, Haffy as it is keeping the thread alive till Rick can fix the links on the front page. :rolleyes:

Maine: http://www.maine.gov/ifw/hunting_trapping/hunting/dates_limits_2009.htm

New Hampshire: http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/Hunting/hunting_dates_and_seasons.htm

Vermont: http://www.vtfishandwildlife.com/Calendar_of_events.cfm?eventcat=hunt&daterange=future

Team2hunt
09-09-2009, 07:43 AM
This Saturday, September 12th marks the start of the Fall hunting season in Maine. As for Vermont and New Hampshire they got an early start, and opened their season's on the first of September. So be aware of the area you will be hiking in and always wear orange when out in the woods this time of year.

I picked up a nice vest last year at Walmart that has plenty of pockets to store all of my Fall gear in.

Happy hunting and be safe everyone! :)

The above post has the correct links and states attached to them.

Sudonim
09-09-2009, 09:20 AM
If you want safety on a budget, Walmart has orange vests and orange knit hats CHEAP. I think I spent $10 for both.

Ekidokai
09-10-2009, 03:06 AM
This Saturday, September 12th marks the start of the Fall hunting season in Maine. As for Vermont and New Hampshire they got an early start, and opened their season's on the first of September. So be aware of the area you will be hiking in and always wear orange when out in the woods this time of year.

I picked up a nice vest last year at Walmart that has plenty of pockets to store all of my Fall gear in.

Happy hunting and be safe everyone! :)

The above post has the correct links and states attached to them.

Thank you. Something to keep in mind.

Team2hunt
09-14-2009, 07:48 AM
I'm good, Haffy as it is keeping the thread alive till Rick can fix the links on the front page. :rolleyes:

Maine: http://www.maine.gov/ifw/hunting_trapping/hunting/dates_limits_2009.htm

New Hampshire: http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/Hunting/hunting_dates_and_seasons.htm

Vermont: http://www.vtfishandwildlife.com/Calendar_of_events.cfm?eventcat=hunt&daterange=future

The weather is looking good and I'm sure a few of you will be out in the woods this week.

jesse207445
12-01-2009, 03:48 PM
Yes, we have to remember to keep safe, some people should not be trusted with a fire arm, and we have to remember to wear orange.

JustKev
12-01-2009, 05:21 PM
Yes, we have to remember to keep safe, some people should not be trusted with a fire arm, and we have to remember to wear orange.

It's not just firearms some people should not be trusted with. Some shouldn't even be trusted with a computer or a car. Being an avid hunter, I've seen my fair share of people who shouldn't be allowed to go to a store that sells firearms but I've seen far more responsible firearm owners who hope that the morons who are dangerous just don't kill anyone. It makes safe hunters look bad. Geocachers should be able to go out looking for caches anywhere and not have to wear orange but I'd recommend it for safety's sake. A responsible hunter will not only positively identify his target as a legal target, he will ensure that what is beyond the target is not in danger if he or she pulls the trigger.

ltlindian
12-01-2009, 06:28 PM
Husband is an avid hunter so I'm not against hunting but this fall has been extremely irritating at our new home which abuts an, apparantly, prime hunting piece. Our neighbors dog which is a small 45lb huskie was shot clean through with a slug by an irresponsible hunter. She lived, thankfully. The hunters response when questioned about shooting a dog, "yes, its out there" and points to the woods. "But I had a doe permit!" was one of the last things he said..... Shot the dog and knew it and then left it to die.

So there are those hunters that are responsible, and there are definately those that aren't.

TRF
12-01-2009, 06:56 PM
... ... The hunters response when questioned about shooting a dog, "yes, its out there" and points to the woods. "But I had a doe permit!" was one of the last things he said..... Shot the dog and knew it and then left it to die.

So there are those hunters that are responsible, and there are definately those that aren't.

People that hunt recklessly/irresponsibly with firearms are not "hunters." They may call themselves that but a true hunter is someone who respects all aspects of the sport. As such a motor vehicle license doesn't make a person a NASCAR driver even though some people may act that part. Heck, some people who have children shouldn't ever be called a parent. :eek:

Hunters and idiots-with-guns need to be kept seperate please. I'm an avid hunter myself and would like to make that distinction clear. That is not to say that you should not wear hunters orange or that you shouldn't wear your seatbelt.

WhereRWe?
12-01-2009, 07:25 PM
The hunters response when questioned about shooting a dog, "yes, its out there" and points to the woods. "But I had a doe permit!" was one of the last things he said.....

Sheesh! I also live in prime hunting territory (only 2 paved roads between here and the Canadian border), and nothing makes me madder than hearing "BANG, BANG, BANG, BANG, BANG..." You know it's another one of those "doe permit" hunters that will shoot at anything that moves. I've been a hunter all my life, but...

JustKev
12-01-2009, 11:14 PM
ltlindian, that sounds like a terrible situation for the dog and it's owner. The so called hunter, however, should be prosecuted whether or not the dog owner wants to press charges. Any person carrying a firearm in the woods hunting absolutely must be sure of the identity of his or her target. Failure to do so results in what you describe. That person should be charged with a crime, should lose his or her license and have the firearm taken away from him/her. There is simply no excuse for shooting a dog, they DO NOT look like deer. Especially if the firearm was equipped with decent optics.

Maybe I should get down off my soapbox now. :)

ltlindian
12-02-2009, 10:06 AM
Nope, that's fine. Same soapbox my husband was on. "Identify your target" is what he is always saying. Well, anyway, dog is fine and hunting season is mostly over. That buck in my back yard is still eluding my husband, much to his annoyance! lol Maybe next year. :)