View Full Version : Pop-up tent campers

pm28570
08-30-2009, 08:38 PM
Does anyone know of available pop-up tent camper rentals?

After a number of years of tent camping, I want to try a pop-up but want to rent first. I'm aware of RV rentals, but looking for a pop-up.

squirrelcache
08-30-2009, 09:30 PM
Used to be able to rent them in Oxford($70?) ...and in Hampden I think. Depending on what you're towing with...I'll forewarn you of personal experience. If the tow vehicle is narrower than the trailer.... you'll notice a serious lack of power. Most pop-ups are box like and not very aerodynamic. After renting a pop-up once... I was told to return the rental and not come home until I had a Real tow vehicle. ;)

Mainiac1957
08-31-2009, 05:53 AM
Yes they can be heavier than you may think. Our 03 Coleman weighs in around 2900 pounds. I have been pulling it with Saturn Vues and now my Jeep. Those were all rated to haul 3500. Nothing smaller or lighter would do well. As far as rentals. A few campgrounds I have been to rented them on site. Can't help you much on rent to travel. I would call the local sales places. They would know or maybe have some to rent.

BTW I really like mine. It has lots of room with the slide out. And we have a furnace, water heater, 3 way ref. as well as comfortable beds. Paul, you are welcome to stop by and check it out. I have it open for now as we are doing some cleaning on it.

WhereRWe?
08-31-2009, 06:55 AM
Yeah - I agree that you should try before you buy.

We have a smaller Coleman pop-up that we really like. When we upgraded from the V6 Explorer to the V8 Explorer, we really noticed that towing got a whole lot easier. Bottom line: the more power you have, the more you'll enjoy the camper - whatever size it is.

dubord207
08-31-2009, 07:08 AM
Paul, just make sure you get one with a good latch on the door if you're bringing it to Eustis. If Nick even thinks you have beer in there, he'll break in! You'll need the kind of doors they have in jets now that are designed to keep people out of the cockpit!:)

squirrelcache
08-31-2009, 07:59 AM
Pop-ups are a great step up from tenting. We discovered that they're still tent like and have to be opened up and dried out after use, esp. after a rainy camp-out.

We decided on a hard side because we like to travel and wanted to stay in parking lots if necessary. Sure enough....we had to twice on one trip and slept well w/no concern for safety.

One thing dealers don't tell you that I had to learn through experience. Wheel base of a tow vehicle is more important than it's supposed towing capacity. They overstate themselves when it comes to hauling safely in a car/suv.

Campers are built very light to allow reasonable towability. Because of that......they don't survive an on the road accident very well at all. And in those cases the occupants of the tow vehicle are exposed to life threatening harm.

If the laws haven't changed...anything over 2k lbs. requires brakes on the trailer. Don't go cheap when buying your break controller. It can make a huge difference in safety...as well as a relaxed vs. white knuckled hauling experience.

pm28570
08-31-2009, 08:19 AM
Thanks for the replys. Fortunately, I have the right vehicle to tow with...full size pickup with tow package and have experiencing towing a heavier boat for a few years. All your points are very valid and spot on.

I've camped with a pop-up as a young adult and quite frankly prefer tenting in a more wilderness, back woods setting. However, there are times when a pop-up would be preferable.

I think this week I'll call around to find a rental and go from there.

Brad, thanks for the offer. Although I am in Topsham all week, so I don't think I can make it.

Dan, my plan is to hang a Bud Light with a small hole in the bottom about 2 inches above nose level to distract him, thus protecting the microbrews. :)

hollora
08-31-2009, 09:31 AM
There is a camper rental place on the main drag through Verona Island - not sure if they have any popups. Maybe the Town Hall of Verona knows the name of the business.

squirrelcache
08-31-2009, 10:19 AM
I called the sources I know of and there are fewer renting even pop-ups anymore. So it appears there is one in the Winterport area(Maine Motor Coach Rental) who rents the interesting A-frame styles. And Destinations in Portland that does delivery/set up and all..... and rents the standard type, Fleetwood Yuma.