View Full Version : Why do you /don't you donate to this web site?

brdad
09-06-2009, 10:44 AM
Why do you / don't you donate financially to this web site?

This should be a simple question with no wrong answers.

If you donate, do you do it because you like the site and what it has to offer? Do you feel it's not right to visit it without paying up? Do you think paying will improve the site?

If you don't donate, is there something you'd like to see different? Do you just not visit enough to justify a donation? Are you just cheap? You can't afford it? Do you feel you contribute in other ways?

Again, no wrong answers, please be respectful of each other's reasoning.

brdad
09-06-2009, 10:45 AM
I did not donate through the site the first few years. But I do feel I have contributed to the site from the beginning with articles and help when I can - and I think that is worth something to the site, perhaps more than money might. I'd like to see this site become much more than forums. I'd like to see more members do contribute to non-forum site features. I also raffled off a $10 geocoin at an event that brought in over 5 times my investment - that made more sense than just donating the $10.

Personally I think just because someone does not have the "donating member" icon next to his name does not mean they do not donate or are not an asset to the web site. Also, regarding the icon, some of us don't have that showing - so be careful who you accuse of not being a donating member.

Ekidokai
09-06-2009, 12:04 PM
OK here we go again for the third time. This thing keeps going on a wild goose chase for some reason.

I can't place a price on this site. The information and help provided is extremely valuable. I have gotten help on everything from actually figuring out how to run my GPSr to setting up a good hide.

Every now and then I go through some of the old stuff and find treasures galore.

I'll donate as long as I can.

TRF
09-06-2009, 12:38 PM
I have donated for several years but this site basically is a place for folks to state their opinions. It's a great place to do so. Although, I already pay for a similar priviledge at another website; i.e. the geocaching.com forums.

I also thought this site would become more than just forums but really has reached a sort of doldrums where it is at. The content for new cachers is great, the people that visit and contribute are great but, at least for me, this site has become a place to debate and chat geocaching "differences" and not much else. If I contributed more would it change? Would Geocachingmaine.org become a unified voice for caching in Maine, an organization that actively promoted geocaching. We are where we were several years ago, debating how best each and every individual should promote geocaching but as an organization leaving it to the individual to decide. That is fine and I'm not opposed to it but I have a hard time justifying $10.00 or $15.00 dollar "donation" just for the priviledge of debating.

Now comes the issue of running the site. I know it takes money, knowledge and time and I'm not belittling any of that. I would more than gladly donate upwards of $5.00 to offset operating cost but that option was taken away and now the minimum donation is $15.00 and while that is inexpensive for a membership, geocachingmaine.org isn't really a group, club or anything structured. It is a place to chat and debate. All good stuff, no denying that but not worth $15.00 to me. Maybe if being a "donating" member meant that I would get first shot at the limited addition coins (I don't collect them so this isn't an issue with me) or something like that then it becomes more than simple chit-chat and would be worth considering paying for a membership.

I enjoy the site. I think it lacks mission statement

brdad
09-06-2009, 02:53 PM
I'm quite certain having the donation area be a variable amount over fixed was discussed briefly at one time by the board. That functionality was either not allowed or there was some issue with implementing it. I will search through and see if any conclusion was made.

The website does have a mission statement (http://www.geocachingmaine.org/index.php?page=gmmission), but perhaps it needs to be adjusted or more work done in certain areas.

TRF
09-06-2009, 03:13 PM
I'm quite certain having the donation area be a variable amount over fixed was discussed briefly at one time by the board. That functionality was either not allowed or there was some issue with implementing it. I will search through and see if any conclusion was made.

The website does have a mission statement (http://www.geocachingmaine.org/index.php?page=gmmission), but perhaps it needs to be adjusted or more work done in certain areas.

I remember when the mission statement was put forth :). That was an incomplete thought/sentence on my part in my earlier post. I like the mission statement now as I did then. What I was thinking is that it needs implementation.

For example, I would have liked to be able to print from this site a standard form to hand to land managers/stewards/ property owners, when getting permission, on how geocaching will affect the area, contact information etc. etc. Something on a letterhead that would give legitamacy to the good intent of geocaching and geocachers. I currently use the brochure offered up by Geocaching U or wherever I got it (http://www.geocacher-u.com/resources/brochure.html). It's very good, informative and easy to understand but it lacks the word Maine on it anywhere. It would be nice to show land-managers/stewards/ property owners that this really is a dedicated group from Maine that cares about the sport. I'm not saying other groups don't care or aren't as responsible (I don't believe that to be the case at all) just that the group I belong to cares enough to go through the effort. That would be worth a "membership" dues to me.

brdad
09-06-2009, 03:29 PM
It's a great idea, and I think something that was mentioned early on. So why can't we get it done? If you are passionate about it, why not write a draft up, present it to the board or the entire site for review and have it checked over and edited. Write up a final in MS Word with our logo, our pictures and all the Maine information needed. Once that's done, we'll convert it to PDF and it can be posted as an article for all to make use of.

I think you are a very good writer, but if you think you are lacking perhaps we can find other members to help. Don't wait for others to do it, speak up!

Once again, I think a contribution such as that is worth more than donating financially. Rick has explained the financial situation and if there is a problem he will speak up. If I donated $5000 to the site we would see very little difference, but if 25 members came up with simple additions to the site such as the one you suggested there would be a big improvement.

Gob-ler
09-06-2009, 03:44 PM
Well, I use the site in several ways. To keep track of and in touch with friends, to keep up on Geocaching whatever in Maine.........you get the idea.

I have been hanging around these parts for several years now and besides, everything costs these days and supporting the site is the right thing to do.

pm28570
09-06-2009, 06:57 PM
GPS receiver..........$249.95

GSAK fee ..............$25.00

Gas for truck.........$47.61

Reading a geeky response from Brdad.......Priceless

Well, for me, it's being responsible. There are definite costs involved to develop and maintain this site. But, as Brdad points out and I agree with, it also takes participation by members as well. Perhaps as the site membership grows the fee can be reduced or used to develop benefits to membership such as the permission form.

squirrelcache
09-06-2009, 08:28 PM
I don't care if we have/had a google/yahoo group! GC.com forums are cool. It's nice to keep in touch w/issues close to home. It's nice to know a little about the "movers and shakers" of geocaching and events in Maine. It's obvious by the forum who you Might have issues w/on the trails or at events. Therefore you can act more appropriately to avoid personal issues...or atleast that Should be the goal. ;)

brdad
09-06-2009, 08:33 PM
Therefore you can act more appropriately to avoid personal issues...or atleast that Should be the goal. ;)

So that's why everyone runs and hides behind rocks and trees when I come walking down the trail!

squirrelcache
09-06-2009, 10:02 PM
Nah.....they're looking for micros & nanos in the woods and don't want to be seen doing it ;)

Gob-ler
09-06-2009, 11:03 PM
Humm, I never had issues with anyone on the trail or at an event and truthfully, no really serious issues here. Maybe a lack of understanding or something similar, but not too serious.

One of my theories or sayings I try to keep in place is, "Don't sweat the small stuff, and it is all small stuff!"

TRF
09-07-2009, 06:37 AM
Humm, I never had issues with anyone on the trail or at an event and truthfully, no really serious issues here. Maybe a lack of understanding or something similar, but not too serious.

One of my theories or sayings I try to keep in place is, "Don't sweat the small stuff, and it is all small stuff!"

I agree with all of this. I believe you are correct when you say, " ... it is all small stuff!"

brdad
09-07-2009, 06:51 AM
I don't think squirrelcache was implying the issues would lead to extreme measures. Sometimes something like an event can be improved upon by knowing what "small stuff" certain cachers enjoy or don't enjoy. While at events, I avoid any talk about numbers with the power cachers and try and lean the conversation towards caches or subjects that we both enjoy. We've learned not to poke fun of southerners in front of some people, we've learned whether or not to discuss golf, beer, guns, and nanos with others.

I find it amazing that with the very diverse group cachers are - from all walks of life and very varied interests and beliefs that we get along as well as we do. I do think that the forums help us understand each other and help us act accordingly when we do meet on the trail or elsewhere.

shuman road searchers
09-07-2009, 06:57 AM
Does it really help people get along outside of the forums or do some people hide behind their computer and act differently in person?

brdad
09-07-2009, 07:07 AM
Does it really help people get along outside of the forums or do some people hide behind their computer and act differently in person?

I think some people act differently, and if you call avoiding some subjects at an event while not avoiding them here, then I do act different. I don't think an event is a place to have such debates, they are more geared toward having fun and enjoying the day. Now, if you want to have an event or get together just to debate any issues, I'm up for that too!

I like to think that most of us are true. It's very hard for most people to hide their true self month after month in a forum. I have met many people I have known for an extended time online in chat or forums before meeting them, and very few are not as I perceived them to be.

dubord207
09-07-2009, 07:13 AM
. We've learned not to poke fun of southerners in front of some people, we've learned whether or not to discuss golf, beer, guns, and nanos with others.

Gee, golf and guns....seems I used those as an example about competition just yesterday. Beer, southerners, love 'em both. What could be better then somebody from Kanapolis driving a Chevy with Budweiser written all over it at 200 miles an hour.:)

Gob-ler
09-07-2009, 07:14 AM
I will express one thing that I am pretty sure about as it relates to computers and internet forums. When we are behind the keyboard we often say things that would never be said face to face.

There is something about the keyboard that emboldens some folks.

I'll give you a good example. Brdad and me. On the computer we go back and forth, jab at each other and so forth.

Once we got the air a little bit cleared we got along quite well at events and such and I even went and did his battleship cache.

I think there is something about keyboards that can bring out somethings that you never see in public. JMOHO on this one!

brdad
09-07-2009, 07:18 AM
. We've learned not to poke fun of southerners in front of some people, we've learned whether or not to discuss golf, beer, guns, and nanos with others.

Gee, golf and guns....seems I used those as an example about competition just yesterday. Beer, southerners, love 'em both. What could be better then somebody from Kanapolis driving a Chevy with Budweiser written all over it at 200 miles an hour.:)

It is funny, I was thinking of that post when I was typing, but in reality, the southerners and golf section was the only part I acquired from you. In fact, I wanted to incorporate my favorite golf quote, "Golf courses are just a waste of prime geocaching real estate", but could not fit it in there (so thanks for that opportunity!). The beer idea was from Hiram and WRW, the guns from Dave1976, and nanos from Ekidokai. But either way, I was thinking of ya!

And don't get me started on auto racing! It would be so much better without the competition and the rushing! :D

Ekidokai
09-07-2009, 09:17 AM
I hate nanos!

brdad
09-07-2009, 10:17 AM
I think there is something about keyboards that can bring out somethings that you never see in public. JMOHO on this one!

I agree, but again - neither of us want to clutter up each others time at an event with subjects we know we don't agree on. I would think if we were to attend a public meeting on the necessity and safety of LPCs, we might open up a bit more. Online also gives us a few minutes to consider and edit our posts whereas in person you often are enticed to speak before thinking. Of course, sometimes we post without thinking too!