View Full Version : Wanted 24-36" Diam. Black Plastic Culvert

squirrelcache
09-07-2009, 06:48 PM
I volunteered a bunch of hours on the trails of two snowmobile clubs last year. I'm looking to build a couple trail groomers. I have some money and am looking for used/remnant pieces of Black Plastic Corrugated Culvert, 24-36" in diam. and min. of 40" long . I'd appreciate Any leads you may have.

firefighterjake
09-09-2009, 09:27 AM
I volunteered a bunch of hours on the trails of two snowmobile clubs last year. I'm looking to build a couple trail groomers. I have some money and am looking for used/remnant pieces of Black Plastic Corrugated Culvert, 24-36" in diam. and min. of 40" long . I'd appreciate Any leads you may have.

No plastic culverts . . . but you have got me curious . . . how do you intend to use the culverts with the groomers?

Sabby
09-09-2009, 10:53 AM
No plastic culverts . . . but you have got me curious . . . how do you intend to use the culverts with the groomers?

I'll bet they will be filled with concrete and made into heavy rollers.

Anyone else want to guess??

squirrelcache
09-09-2009, 11:32 AM
Sabby......you're close..........

Sudonim
09-09-2009, 02:14 PM
Filled with water?

squirrelcache
09-09-2009, 02:23 PM
It's a rig that's commonly used by groomers of XC ski trails. The weight is from the culvert, steel frame and possibly a couple trash cans filled w/snow, which is handy for trail repairs when extra fill is needed. They're handy for breaking in a trail. They also leave grooves which quickly fill/trap drifting snow, building a thicker base. Of course you can also equip them for mixing and finishing, instead of leaving grooves, if desired.

firefighterjake
09-10-2009, 07:59 AM
It's a rig that's commonly used by groomers of XC ski trails. The weight is from the culvert, steel frame and possibly a couple trash cans filled w/snow, which is handy for trail repairs when extra fill is needed. They're handy for breaking in a trail. They also leave grooves which quickly fill/trap drifting snow, building a thicker base. Of course you can also equip them for mixing and finishing, instead of leaving grooves, if desired.

I'd love to see a picture when completed . . . our drags sound like they're much different . . . basically a rectangular steel frame with cutting bars to take out the moguls and a flat pan in the back to smooth things out. We use Ford Rangers with track kits as the groomers.

attroll
09-10-2009, 08:59 AM
Never heard of that either. I don't know if I would like driving down a trail with a row of groves in it. The skis would have a tendency to try to stay in the groves and be even worse when it hardens up or freezes.

squirrelcache
09-10-2009, 07:28 PM
A roller will often precede the regular trail drag, used for compressing the fresh snow. It can also be used alone, w/a comb attachment off the rear so you don't get the deeper grooves. Like this guy's:
http://www.timmshilltrail.com/grooming/drags/tidd%20tech%20roller%20-%20up.htm

This is a handy tool if you're part of a small club that doesn't have enough powerful air cooled machines to go around. A roller works well behind liquid cooled machines, which many folks have, and can run to help out.