View Full Version : Music....

squirrelcache
09-08-2009, 06:10 AM
Do you listen to music while geocaching w/others? Is there a particular genre that you find is the best? Do you have a custom song list on the mp3? Have you put together a CD?

I did a long day recently, traveling solo through multiple States and didn't turn the radio on once!! I was shocked and so were others that know me :)

Come on folks.....share what feeds your geosenses and keeps the spirits high.

brdad
09-08-2009, 06:27 AM
We just listen to the Official Geocaching Maine Song (http://www.bytethebullet.com/geocaching/fora/longlat.mp3) over and over.

Truthfully, we both have very diverse music interests, so we could be listening to most anything. We also listen to a fair amount of talk radio. But at least half the time, we just have the radio off and talk to each other!

dubord207
09-08-2009, 06:36 AM
Caching with Di, Jimmy Buffet, Billy Joel and Van Morrisson. Caching with Pat (mapachi), Pink Floyd, AC-DC, Iron Butterfly!

Ekidokai
09-08-2009, 12:15 PM
I sing.

Then I listen to Rick and George, Glenn Beck, Howie Carr, nd Art.

fins2right
09-08-2009, 12:29 PM
Caching with Di, Jimmy Buffet, Billy Joel and Van Morrisson. Caching with Pat (mapachi), Pink Floyd, AC-DC, Iron Butterfly!

Buffett!!! :D

Plus I enjoy downloading podcasts onto my ipod from itunes. Trivia, puzzles, stories all help the miles go by.

benandtina
09-09-2009, 05:09 PM
Most of the time we don't listen to anything so that Ben is forced to talk to me, lol.

Other times we just listen to pop stuff on the radio. If we are out past my bedtime (basically as soon as it gets dark, lol) I usually pass out on the drive home and Ben puts in a CD from his very eclectic collection... anything from punk to indie to people like Patsy Cline.

EvilHomer
09-09-2009, 05:39 PM
I sing.

Then I listen to Rick and George, Glenn Beck, Howie Carr, nd Art.

I miss Art Bell. I used to listen to him while I worked at the old Loring AFB in Limestone during the night shifts at Job Corp. I would sit out on the flight line and wait for the aliens to show up. : )

WhereRWe?
09-09-2009, 06:57 PM
I love having Sirius. You can listen to almost anything. And since we travel a lot, the fact that we don't lose the station every couple of hundred miles if GREAT! :D:D

dubord207
09-09-2009, 07:04 PM
I love having Sirius. You can listen to almost anything. And since we travel a lot, the fact that we don't lose the station every couple of hundred miles if GREAT! :D:D

So Bruce...Allman Brothers, Willie, Lynard Skynard, Pure Prairie League, Kris, and my wildcard pick Clapton? Wondering if any of these are on your dial? I have XM in the Chevy and it's nice to get anything from classical to Zappa!:)

Haffy
09-09-2009, 07:43 PM
I miss Art Bell. I used to listen to him while I worked at the old Loring AFB in Limestone during the night shifts at Job Corp. I would sit out on the flight line and wait for the aliens to show up. : )

Doesn't he still do weekend work? Just wish they weren't up so late. George Noory is pretty cool though.

Ekidokai
09-10-2009, 02:45 AM
George is OK but Art is best.

Show tunes are great to listen to.

WhereRWe?
09-10-2009, 06:38 AM
So Bruce...Allman Brothers, Willie, Lynard Skynard, Pure Prairie League, Kris, and my wildcard pick Clapton? Wondering if any of these are on your dial? I have XM in the Chevy and it's nice to get anything from classical to Zappa!:)

In the car, we usually stick with Sirius News/Talk. Fox News, changing to BBC World News, CBC Radio 1, or World Radio Network when the "top news" story gets beaten to death. I picked Sirius because our resident sound expert, Sudonim, told me I'd get better reception because of the placement of Sirius' satellites. I lose reception if I pass under a tree...

At home we listen to Live 365 (http://www.live365.com/index.live) internet radio: Soundtrack Lounge, Radio Vietnam, Celtic Highway (Celtic Woman (http://www.celticwoman.com/), Haley Westenra (http://www.hayleywestenra.com/)), Radio Free A&M (A&M Records - Herb Alpert, etc.), and The Riverbank (new age, ambient - Enya/Secret Garden).

pm28570
09-10-2009, 08:28 AM
I've had a 3 month trial of XM.....not really impressed, although there are some features I like but not enough to subscribe. That said, I prefer my trusty iPod. Currently on the iPod is Warren Zevon, Skynyrd, George Thorogood, Aerosmith, Eagles, Pavarotti, Eminim, Kid Rock and Clapton.

If it's earthly radio, then usually talk radio.

Sudonim
09-10-2009, 09:31 AM
I picked Sirius because our resident sound expert, Sudonim, told me I'd get better reception because of the placement of Sirius' satellites. I lose reception if I pass under a tree...

Are you driving around under those lead trees again Bruce?

Both Sirius and XM are line of sight antennas, but the signal will be reduced by overhead cover. Trees, bridges, heavy cloud days can all affect the signal strength. (Kayak on the roof, not good for reception BTW)
We have seen BETTER reception with Sirius, but not perfect. Next time you're in the area, stop by and I'll look at your antenna, maybe we can adjust the location a bit.

dubord207
09-10-2009, 02:13 PM
We're going to get along fine Eustis weekend, for sure!!!!!:)

I've had a 3 month trial of XM.....not really impressed, although there are some features I like but not enough to subscribe. That said, I prefer my trusty iPod. Currently on the iPod is Warren Zevon, Skynyrd, George Thorogood, Aerosmith, Eagles, Pavarotti, Eminim, Kid Rock and Clapton.

If it's earthly radio, then usually talk radio.

WhereRWe?
09-10-2009, 04:29 PM
[QUOTE=Sudonim;57076
We have seen BETTER reception with Sirius, but not perfect. Next time you're in the area, stop by and I'll look at your antenna, maybe we can adjust the location a bit.[/QUOTE]

Hmmm... Saturday is the Last Cashe event...

Sudonim
09-10-2009, 05:12 PM
Hmmm... Saturday is the Last Cashe event...

I MAY be able to sneak out of work at 11, but I have to close at 2pm for a 50th anniversary party for some friends. If I show at the event, I'll check out the antenna.

brdad
09-10-2009, 06:00 PM
Remember in the old days of radio when you was getting a bad signal you could move to another part of the room and you would bounce the signal so it came in perfect? Well, that still works today! All you need to do is place something or someone in a different location in your vehicle. Back in the old days when I had my '70 Dodge Dart, the radio came in much better if my ex wife was in the trunk. This had other benefits I won't go into here. Lately, with this newfangled digeetal TV stuff, I've found strategically placing the neighbor's kid in the correct location does wonders. I bet you could make this work in your vehicle, too.

http://weblogs.elearning.ubc.ca/vschools/archives/redneck.jpg

squirrelcache
09-10-2009, 07:36 PM
There are many uses of duct tape when it comes to the science of sound waves. During covert missions......duct tape works well for reminding little ones to be mindful of their voices. Just ask my daughter ;) It didn't cancel out the sound, but changed the frequency and diverted it quite well.

firefighterjake
09-11-2009, 07:47 AM
XM Radio . . . I bought it for my wife. She enjoys it and gets great reception . . . rarely lose signal. I don't know as if I would pay for the priviledge however.

firefighterjake
09-11-2009, 07:50 AM
Hmmm . . . duct tape . . . not trying to spark up anything, but there was a foster child who died a few years back after the mother duct taped the child down -- I believe the mother was charged. Again, just something to bear in mind when folks start posting pics (albeit somewhat humorous pics) and talk about using duct tape to quiet children. . . .

pm28570
09-11-2009, 07:59 AM
Sig line says it all :rolleyes:

squirrelcache
09-11-2009, 02:29 PM
........ Again, just something to bear in mind when folks start posting pics (albeit somewhat humorous pics) and talk about using duct tape to quiet children. . . .
Thanks for the reminder. I got carried away when I saw the pic. You're right in that what's humorous in one situation.....is serious in others. Mine is a humorous family memory that we all enjoy sharing. Anyone that knows me and my interactions w/my kids would understand. My family was laughing as I posted the comment.

TRF
09-11-2009, 02:56 PM
Hmmm . . . duct tape . . . not trying to spark up anything, but there was a foster child who died a few years back after the mother duct taped the child down -- I believe the mother was charged. Again, just something to bear in mind when folks start posting pics (albeit somewhat humorous pics) and talk about using duct tape to quiet children. . . .

I remember the call (Schoffield) and the foster mother was charged. Not a pleasant memory for sure but the posted picture is kind of cute.

brdad
09-11-2009, 05:19 PM
The duck tape is bad? Because I didn't use camouflaged duck tape?