View Full Version : Geocache Archival

squirrelcache
09-11-2009, 02:44 PM
I'm confused about when a cache is to be archived. Does it have to be shown that it's inactive/missing...and/or not maintained for a period of time?

Someone found a cache last month up North that hadn't been found in over two years! Just wondering why that one wasn't archived w/such a long history of inactivity.

Then you have caches like one down here. You know how many folks won't DNF!? Well this one has been DNF'd 10 times and not found since the beginning of June. It's been marked for maintenance. I've written the cache owner for extra hints as he requested, hoping to log that it is indeed there, and still haven't heard a thing.

So...for all the frustrated people I've met trailside that complained/commented, and continue to look for a cache that may very well not be there...... Help!!

TRF
09-11-2009, 02:50 PM
I'm confused about when a cache is to be archived. Does it have to be shown that it's inactive/missing...and/or not maintained for a period of time?

Someone found a cache last month up North that hadn't been found in over two years! Just wondering why that one wasn't archived w/such a long history of inactivity.

Then you have caches like one down here. You know how many folks won't DNF!? Well this one has been DNF'd 10 times and not found since the beginning of June. It's been marked for maintenance. I've written the cache owner for extra hints as he requested, hoping to log that it is indeed there, and still haven't heard a thing.

So...for all the frustrated people I've met trailside that complained/commented, and continue to look for a cache that may very well not be there...... Help!!

This has been a mystery to me also. It appears that an indivifual can request to have anothers cache archived but there doesn't seem to be any criteria that needs to be met. A mystery that goes hand-in-hand with this is that we can't adopt others peoples caches without their direct intervention but we can ask to have their caches archived without their involvement. Kind of ironic. :o

Hiram357
09-11-2009, 03:27 PM
I have a caches that get found once or twice a year (if that) but I visit them regularly. They're in some nice spots and on some nice rides, I don't archive them because I know they're still there and in good shape.

I also have a cache "the wandering orca" that went missing with a DNF and so I disabled it. It was disabled for a while (6 months I think???) I didn't get out to fix it due to a lack of transportation, but soon after new wheels were aquired I went up to replace it. I had intention to replace so I didn't think archiving was an option.

Then I've had caches that I thought were a good idea when I placed them, but after having them exist for a while better judgement told me to not have them, so I archived those ones.

Haffy
09-11-2009, 06:38 PM
Just remember another thing too. If you do happen to archive a cache of yours make sure you remove it as well. Not good to have a lot of geotrash hanging around.

Haffy
09-11-2009, 06:43 PM
Just because a cache doesn't get a lot of activity doesn't mean anything is wrong. On the other hand if there are a lot of DNF'S then there is a possibility that is is indeed missing. A check by the cache owner should dispel any knowing that it is there or not. Brdad's caches are a good example. He has a few in the Clifton area that might get a dozen or so visitors each year if that and he also has one right in Waterville that gets tons of DNF's but it is well known and usually gets found after a few more DNF'S.Took me a few tries myself....LOL

brdad
09-11-2009, 07:06 PM
Just because a cache doesn't get a lot of activity doesn't mean anything is wrong. On the other hand if there are a lot of DNF'S then there is a possibility that is is indeed missing. A check by the cache owner should dispel any knowing that it is there or not. Brdad's caches are a good example. He has a few in the Clifton area that might get a dozen or so visitors each year if that and he also has one right in Waterville that gets tons of DNF's but it is well known and usually gets found after a few more DNF'S.Took me a few tries myself....LOL

All my caches except Old 470 are lucky to get two finds a year, and that number drops every year as more locals get them and more easier caches pop up nearby for the tourists. I'm ok with that, but it's not time to archive them!

In fact, my A mile from a halfmile (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=c3ae6c0f-728a-4f0b-b580-5c5de615c8e4) (GC8D2A) by brdad (http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?id=61905) (1.5/2.5) and Halfmile (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=1812ccd4-e4b1-4324-ad07-cd23bf0191bc) (GCH21C) by brdad (http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?id=61905) (3/3.5) are on the stats list for not being found in over a year.

squirrelcache
09-11-2009, 07:27 PM
In fact, my A mile from a halfmile (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=c3ae6c0f-728a-4f0b-b580-5c5de615c8e4) (GC8D2A) by brdad (http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?id=61905) (1.5/2.5) and Halfmile (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=1812ccd4-e4b1-4324-ad07-cd23bf0191bc) (GCH21C) by brdad (http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?id=61905) (3/3.5) are on the stats list for not being found in over a year.

Thanks for the reminder......I'll be local to them(10 days) after the Eustis event. I can't believe I've been driving the back-roads of that area for 3 years and didn't discover the SMR until Ekidokai introduced it w/his caches.

So these two are at the top of my list. I'll have the whole party hiking for them ;) Have any other areas you can recommend for hiking/driving up there?

brdad
09-11-2009, 07:36 PM
It'd be a fantastic time of year to do my newest cache, Sounds Easy To Me (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=9bcafb9f-f8e6-4610-a96f-1ccf9d525b99) (GC1VFWZ) by brdad (http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?id=61905) (3.5/3)!

Driving to the parking for Mile From a Halfmile cache is getting tougher, depending on your vehicle. Got my Dakota in there no problem. Just a lot of brush growing up in the road. Other hikes and drives ... hmm, lemme think...

hide_from_the_kids
09-12-2009, 02:12 AM

ok i got the hint i will check it as soon as i can. no excuses just been to busy. and the cache is only 1/2 mile from my house. sorry phil i also have not checked my email for awhile and found i had 623 unread messages and lots of time my computer is on but i am not around and i use this site as my homepage. wait i thought i siad i had no excuses:)

Ekidokai
09-12-2009, 02:15 AM
Just do it.

hide_from_the_kids
09-12-2009, 02:16 AM
ok ok i will when i get up in the morning

squirrelcache
09-12-2009, 05:57 AM
Glad to hear you're ok. I was concerned.......

hide_from_the_kids
09-12-2009, 12:50 PM
went this morning and found the cache container 40 feet from site. so new container and new log. i must be really slipping allowing work to get in front of caching.:D

Team V3
09-12-2009, 12:57 PM
I still need to get out to the island to check on our cache. We probably will next weekend. Melissa just had some surgery done and is not quite up to making the trip out there. I have temporarily disabled Cole's Cache until we can check it. The other is still going strong though.

squirrelcache
09-13-2009, 06:52 AM
There are soooo many ideas on our list of caches/places to hide. We continue to hold back, wanting to make them the best we can. Honestly...seeing and hearing the many complaints from cachers when things havne't been maintained...I'll be lucky to ever get a cache out there! ;)

The one thing I have learned is that we personally will put multi/series caches at the top of our maintenance list. I don't want to let people down if they're interested in doing our caches, esp. if they hope to follow a series/multi to the end.

I'm amazed how some of the C.O.s have been able to balance it all !!!

brdad
09-13-2009, 06:23 PM
I'm amazed how some of the C.O.s have been able to balance it all !!!

This amazes me and always has. When I started caching there was a guy who had only found a few caches but had hidden 22 or so. There was not a cacher around who could figure how or why someone would hide so many caches. I only have 6 hides, they are fairly safe from muggles so they nearly maintain themselves. And I'm still not sure I could maintain many more! I would not even want to deal with the emails Northwoods Explorer gets on his 60+ earthcaches.

I'm still not sure I agree with anyone hiding the numbers they do, but I figure let them hide them and let them prove they can be responsible for all of them before I pass judgment.

If I made the rules, there would probably be some limit, as well as a provision that kept anyone from having a cache approved if any of their other caches were disabled. If you have time to hide a cache, you have time to fix the ones you already have!

kayakerinme
09-13-2009, 10:00 PM
... I'm still not sure I agree with anyone hiding the numbers they do, but I figure let them hide them and let them prove they can be responsible for all of them before I pass judgment.

Wouldn't it be better to believe C.O.'s are responsible enough to hide them and pass judgment when it can be proved otherwise?

How long does it take to receive your judgment and how does one prove he or she is responsible?

squirrelcache
09-13-2009, 10:10 PM
Northwoods Explorer is an example of how responsible one can be. I've Always gotten correspondence in a timely fashion, even when I wasn't looking for a reply. He'll have far more than 60 caches before it's all said and done too ;)

People often rise to the level of expectation........give em' the benefit of the doubt , some encouragement, and you just might be surprised. :)

brdad
09-14-2009, 06:55 AM
Wouldn't it be better to believe C.O.'s are responsible enough to hide them and pass judgment when it can be proved otherwise?

How long does it take to receive your judgment and how does one prove he or she is responsible?

Sorry, my statement wasn't well stated. I'll fully accept yours.

Northwoods Explorer is an example of how responsible one can be. I've Always gotten correspondence in a timely fashion, even when I wasn't looking for a reply. He'll have far more than 60 caches before it's all said and done too ;)

Well, that was just the 60 Earthcaches he has. I was ignoring the 62 conventional available caches he has!

We have always gotten a quick reply from him as well. Again, I don't know how he does it, but he's doing it - that's what matters.

robt
09-14-2009, 01:42 PM
:D

If I made the rules, there would probably be some limit, as well as a provision that kept anyone from having a cache approved if any of their other caches were disabled. If you have time to hide a cache, you have time to fix the ones you already have!

That could add alot of work on the Publisher as you would also have to consider why someones caches were disabled. I knowI have disabled severaly of the caches that I have placed due to issues with where the cache was placed and type of cache. I have one that I removed because the place where the cache was was getting torn apart by construction, another becuse the place just plain washed away and one of my favorites just beacuse I could not find a way to get the cache itself to hold up to whst it needed to. I have one of my puzzle caches that I am thinking about disabling do to the issues with the conected TB's.

We also need to learn what we can do as well. I do not know nay of us who have not made mistakes in placement. :D:D:D:D

brdad
09-14-2009, 06:46 PM
:D

That could add alot of work on the Publisher as you would also have to consider why someones caches were disabled. I knowI have disabled severaly of the caches that I have placed due to issues with where the cache was placed and type of cache. I have one that I removed because the place where the cache was was getting torn apart by construction, another becuse the place just plain washed away and one of my favorites just beacuse I could not find a way to get the cache itself to hold up to whst it needed to. I have one of my puzzle caches that I am thinking about disabling do to the issues with the conected TB's.

We also need to learn what we can do as well. I do not know nay of us who have not made mistakes in placement. :D:D:D:D

Yeah, it's reasons like the one you posed that explain why gc.com doesn't have me help with the rules. :rolleyes:

Hiram357
09-14-2009, 07:04 PM
Yeah, it's reasons like the one you posed that explain why gc.com doesn't have me help with the rules. :rolleyes:

yeah, but if you helped gc.com make the rules, only you would be allowed to place caches... ;);)

and then we would only be able to find them once you posted the correct coords, again... (heh, you'll never live that one down) :p:p:p:p;);):D

Mapachi
09-15-2009, 07:30 AM
I have some caches hidden so well I get 5 or 6 DNFs in a row. I am tempted to automatically disable them until I can check on them, but when I do that it seems to turn out that the cache is still there. If I don't disable them, then it seems the cache is missing!.......At around 130 active caches, I'm pretty busy running around from cache to cache replacing logs, repairing and replacing caches.
My cache "Blue Waters" has been disabled for most of the summer. The structure the cache was hidden on is gone, so replacement is going to involve a different spot and power tools! The place is so busy in the summer, that I have been unable to replace it yet......I've been there four times now!........The tourists are leaving so I'll get it soon!
I live in Augusta and have several caches up around Flagstaff Lake. I've had to go up there twice this summer for cache maintenance.
So, heavy cache placement, can indeed keep one busy!