View Full Version : Help!!!!

Haffy
04-29-2005, 03:55 PM
I'll be danged if I can remember how I got cachemate on my PDA the last time. I just got another new PDA and have downloaded cachemate onto my hardrive but where do you go to put the registration numbers in? And how do you install it to the PDA anyway? Been working all day trying to figure it out with no luck. Where's Noreasta when you need him?.....lol. It sucks losing your memory.

d’76
04-29-2005, 04:00 PM
When you sync your pda cachemate will go automatically

Haffy
04-29-2005, 04:04 PM
I doesn't go into it.

d’76
04-29-2005, 04:05 PM
go to the chat room and we will try there

d’76
04-29-2005, 04:06 PM
What do you have for a palm

d’76
04-29-2005, 04:28 PM
have you been to the device manager on your pc and seen if there is an ! next to the device.

Beach Comber
04-29-2005, 06:22 PM
Painful isn't it? I wonder which is worse though - losing your PDA due to a fall inthe snow - or - losing your memory and not knowing it until you finally get to replace your PDA? LOL

I wish I could help - it seems the installation for cachemate into the Palm is more complicated that with the PPC. All I had to do was click, drag, and drop into into my PPC program files folder. No registration, hotsync issues, etc.

Haffy
04-29-2005, 06:23 PM
Well I finally found the problem. It seems I had 2 user ID's ,well actually 3 the previous owner's is on there too. But anyway one of my user ID's had only 1.3 mb of space and my other one had 13.4 mb of space so I chose the bigger one.Don't ask me why this is. Apparently when hot synching all the stuff, the smaller one wasn't big enough to handle it. Anyway, whoo hoo I finally got cachemate on the PDA. Man what a bitch I had today with this,now if I only drank I'd have a beer....lol Now I'm waiting for smittyware to send me yet another registration code. Sounds like the similar problem that Noreasta had with his last week. Oh yeah one other thing, how does one get rid of the other user ID's anyway that are on the PDA?

Nuffer
04-29-2005, 07:58 PM
What's cachemate?

Haffy
04-29-2005, 09:19 PM
It is software made so you can download the pocket queries from GC.com into the PDA. Its just like having the actual cache page with logs and hints and all right on the PDA. It's the best that's out there IMHO.And only 8 bux,sure beats carrying and printing out all those cache pages all the time.

Beach Comber
04-29-2005, 11:13 PM
If you use a pocket pc platform like an iPAQ, GPX Sonar is fantastic AND it is free!! I can say that in the short time that I have been using the paperless approach, I have already found that having the previous logs is a great help!

There are definitely more people using Palm OS rather than PPC - but I still think it is extremely helpful to reference which platform you are working with - it can save others tremendous time and energy.

Cachemate works with Palm OS and not PPC
GPXSonar works with PPC and not Palm OS

PDA = personal digital assitant and is often also called a handheld.
Neither or these "names" differentiates between the PPC and Palm platforms.

Please do not misinterpret this as a lecture - it is meant only to help clarify the subtle differences that can be very confusing if one is beginning to explore this approach. My time spent in figuring it all out will have been well spent if I am able to help others along the way :D

As an iPAQ user and lover, I can honestly say that if one is considering using their PDA for geocaching, I would recommend the Palm OS platform. There are many more people using that type, many more software, etc. options available, and a great network of resources for questions, etc. At this point these are all limited for PPC users - something I learned after I had made my purchase and started using it :(

Hiker Twins
04-30-2005, 05:02 AM
Ok, I just have to ask? Isn't it a pain to carry both a pda and a gps? I like the sounds of the paperless caching, but not sure if I want to deal with a pda, gps and the camera. It just sounds like way to many electronice gagets. At least with the paper, I can fold it up and stash it in my back pocket! I guess I need to take a hike with someone who is using paperles caching to see what it is like! :) :) :)

Mainiac1957
04-30-2005, 07:15 AM
I used to always carry it into the woods too. Lately I've read what I needed and then left it in the car. But that depends on how long the hike is. I can just put it in my pack and it's there if I need some info. The good part is if you update it from a PQ weekly you will always have the up to date logs on as many caches the are to do in whatever area you choose.

WhereRWe?
04-30-2005, 07:16 AM
Ok, I just have to ask? Isn't it a pain to carry both a pda and a gps? I like the sounds of the paperless caching, but not sure if I want to deal with a pda, gps and the camera. It just sounds like way to many electronice gagets. At least with the paper, I can fold it up and stash it in my back pocket! I guess I need to take a hike with someone who is using paperles caching to see what it is like! :) :) :)

With a PDA, you don't have to fold it up before you stuff it in your pocket! LOL!

And believe me, one you've tried paperless, you'll wonder why you waited! :D

Once you've found the cache, you can sit on a log, pull out the PDA, and make your entries.

(As for "too many gadgets - you forgot to mention the cell phone...)

Geochicks
04-30-2005, 08:49 AM

Or you could be like a few of us.... our PDAs have a camera. But my pack is big enough to carry my PDA and my cell, my "treats" (exchanges)... I usually hold the GPS. I read the "page" on my PDA and put it in the pack and pull it out only when I need it.

Nuffer
05-01-2005, 05:10 PM
Is EasyGPS a cachemate?

WhereRWe?
05-01-2005, 05:16 PM
Is EasyGPS a cachemate?

No. Easy GPS is a file manager, basically.

CacheMate is a cache manager program for your PDA - EasyGPS isn't. You can use EasyGPS to process pocket queries, and download the waypoints to your GPS. GSAK is better for this, though. :D

Beach Comber
05-01-2005, 07:30 PM
I was very skeptical about going paperless. I could pull my paper out of my pocket and find what I wanted for information before my fellow cachers turned their PDA on. Needless to say, curiosity got the best of me and I started checking it out. Now that I am using it, I like it a lot. Two advantages so far are that I can read previous logs and that I have the cache plotted on a map which has helped me to find the street or right side of water!! Not to mention the environmental benefits from not using paper.