View Full Version : Sugarloaf Geocoin

skishop
09-27-2009, 10:23 PM
It was really great meeting so many of you this weekend at EU2, and I am totally psyched for next year's event already. Based on comments in the EU2 thread, and questions I received at the event, I figured I should post this here. For those I didn't meet, I work at Sugarloaf overseeing the retail stores at the mountain. This summer I hid private caches around Sugarloaf for our guests to find, as well as providing GPSs for them to use, to introduce them to geocaching. I also had made some Sugarloaf geocoins. Here is a picture of them (I am sorry for the poor quality, it was taken on my phone). Anybody interested in more information about this coin can contact me at jbyrne@sugarloaf.com or call me at 207-237-6825. Thanks again, and I hope to see you all again soon.

Cheers,

John

hide_from_the_kids
09-28-2009, 08:44 AM
one question you will most likely get asked a lot is: is this coin trackable on gc.com? i have sent an email.

attroll
09-28-2009, 09:01 AM
It looks like the tracking number is on the bottom edge of the coin.

kayaking loon
09-28-2009, 09:48 AM
It looks like the tracking number is on the bottom edge of the coin.

Yes, it's trackable. You activate it at oakcoins.com. I was given one at the event and it's lovely!

Mapachi
09-30-2009, 08:11 PM
I to got one and I love it!!

dubord207
09-30-2009, 09:58 PM
Thanks John for the coin. As a dedicated 'Loafer since 1955, and a dedicated geocacher since.. well a little less then 2 years ago, I'm proud to have this coin. The Loaf was a huge part of my life growing up and we trecked up there from Waterville just about every weekend. When I started skiing, there was just 2 t-bars, then 3 for about 8 or nine years. By high school there was the "Sugarloaf Club Cars" aka gondola.

The mountain used to be covered with mogols and in 1969, my senior year in high school, 2 back to back blizzards in early April buried the mountain. My friends and I called home on Sunday when it started skiing and advised the roads weren't safe and we opted to stay in the Valley. Monday the mountain was closed as the access road was covered in 20 foot drifts. Tuesday, they used a bulldozer to plow the road and around noon they started running a few lifts. The number 4 and 5 t-bars had drifts all the way to the top of the t-bar supporting towers and those lifts never re-open that year. The snowfields extended down a solid half mile from the top of the gondola! The skiing was insane. With no cell phones, our parents had no idea what we were up to...snowed in they told the principal at Waterville High!

Just a quick story, one of my fondest moments of many about Sugarloaf. The place still rocks, the moguls are mostly gone, the mountain is covered with million dollar homes but the rush I get from blasting down Guage non-stop remains!:)

hollora
10-01-2009, 09:05 AM
Thanks John for the coin. As a dedicated 'Loafer since 1955, and a dedicated geocacher since.. well a little less then 2 years ago, I'm proud to have this coin. The Loaf was a huge part of my life growing up and we trecked up there from Waterville just about every weekend. When I started skiing, there was just 2 t-bars, then 3 for about 8 or nine years. By high school there was the "Sugarloaf Club Cars" aka gondola.

The mountain used to be covered with mogols and in 1969, my senior year in high school, 2 back to back blizzards in early April buried the mountain. My friends and I called home on Sunday when it started skiing and advised the roads weren't safe and we opted to stay in the Valley. Monday the mountain was closed as the access road was covered in 20 foot drifts. Tuesday, they used a bulldozer to plow the road and around noon they started running a few lifts. The number 4 and 5 t-bars had drifts all the way to the top of the t-bar supporting towers and those lifts never re-open that year. The snowfields extended down a solid half mile from the top of the gondola! The skiing was insane. With no cell phones, our parents had no idea what we were up to...snowed in they told the principal at Waterville High!

Just a quick story, one of my fondest moments of many about Sugarloaf. The place still rocks, the moguls are mostly gone, the mountain is covered with million dollar homes but the rush I get from blasting down Guage non-stop remains!:)

I am another one with memories of the "Loaf" in the 60s. Just bought one of the coins for my friend Church-hill who has been my best buddy since HS and who traveled with me from Bangor to ski every weekend. Had a VW back then which covered many miles through a ton of snow storms.

hide_from_the_kids
10-05-2009, 02:39 PM
i just got my coins in the mail the coin looks great thanks skishop

Haffy
10-05-2009, 03:08 PM
I used to ski a lot in my younger days but I was a "Backer" not a "Loafer. Used to have a season's pass at Saddleback. A lot cheaper and less crowds back then. Also used to have a camper on the back of the pickup and my x-wife and myself used to stay in the upper parking lot in the camper the whole weekend. We'd wake up with frost on the inside cause the furnace wasn't all that good but had we each other to keep us warm...lol The good "ole" days

Sudonim
10-05-2009, 06:11 PM
I used to ski a lot in my younger days but I was a "Backer" not a "Loafer. Used to have a season's pass at Saddleback. A lot cheaper and less crowds back then. Also used to have a camper on the back of the pickup and my x-wife and myself used to stay in the upper parking lot in the camper the whole weekend. We'd wake up with frost on the inside cause the furnace wasn't all that good but had we each other to keep us warm...lol The good "ole" days

Man, if I did that now-a-days, I'd be too stiff to ski the next day. I can camp, but I'm a cold weather weenie:p Gotta have a warm bed.

hollora
10-05-2009, 06:15 PM
Man, if I did that now-a-days, I'd be too stiff to ski the next day. I can camp, but I'm a cold weather weenie:p Gotta have a warm bed.

ROFLMAO - The Spillover will work for you for the 3rd Annual Get Useless in Eustis Event next year. Oh yeah, I remember those younger years - a lot different than now.

All due respect - some folks go camping in the winter.........I think this year if I can try to snowshoe in - that would be good. I may not be working that day so it might happen.

pjpreb
10-06-2009, 09:06 PM
As we have written "Ski Fast" on soooooo many logs, we just gotta get a couple of these coins! :D:D:D

skishop
10-07-2009, 06:56 PM
I just wanted to post a note saying thanks to everybody for your support and interest in the Sugarloaf coin. Double thanks to Hollora for her help and guidance while I listed the coins on gc.com. See you out there.

Happy Caching.