View Full Version : Delorm

number seven
10-03-2009, 09:35 PM
:mad:I've had my Delorme PN30 for a couple of weeks now,and I can say it's a piece of JUNK.I have an old Garmin Geko,and I know that I can put all the info that I need in less time than it takes to download 250 caches.In fact I'm still waiting and it's been over an hour..Give me my Magillan back..:mad:

squirrelcache
10-03-2009, 09:57 PM
I'm not sure why it takes so long to load the Delorme. I don't use mine much these days either. The cache register requires you to not only be a GC.com premium member, but to be logged on. Garmin products are lightning fast comparatively when it comes to loading. I think Any GPSr worth Anything for geocaching......should be able to be batch loaded Anytime you want from a laptop W/Out the internet!!!

TeamHorwich
10-04-2009, 09:41 AM
you can use GSAK to load the pn40 w/o being online...mine goes pretty fast either way...

robt
10-04-2009, 07:17 PM
I export a GPX file from GSAK then import it into Cache Register and it moves almost as fast as any other GPS I have had. An extra step but it is not too bad. I work with it often offline when traveling and this works this way as well it only puts up a nag message and I am sure that is probably a requirement of the tie in with Geocaching.com more than what Delorme wanted. I have the PN 20 and am relitivly content with it and the only issue that I have is the speed problem, But I have never found one that I liked everything on, it is a trade off on what you are looking for. But I do not want to start a war of what is the best GPS as that is one that none of us can win :):D:D:D

Hiram357
10-05-2009, 06:55 AM
But I do not want to start a war of what is the best GPS as that is one that none of us with a Magellan or a Delorme can win, because Garmin is the best. :):D:D:D

Yes Rob, I totally agree!!!! :D:D:p;)

number seven
10-05-2009, 08:16 AM
:)Hiram357 -I understand that you have ways of adjusting GPSr's:D

hide_from_the_kids
10-05-2009, 08:21 AM
:)Hiram357 -I understand that you have ways of adjusting GPSr's:D
definition of "adjusting" for hiram : conveniently lost or dropped :D

firefighterjake
10-05-2009, 08:22 AM
definition of "adjusting" for hiram : conveniently lost or dropped :D

And this is the winner for the "Best One Liner of the Day."

Thanks for the laugh.

robt
10-05-2009, 01:11 PM
I did not know he adjusted his GPS, but that explains how he finds them in snow banks.... Here I just thought he just adjusted other people quoates.

number seven
10-16-2009, 06:30 PM
:D No more DeLorme P-N 30:) I have to take my hat off to the crew at DeLorme for trying to fix it,but two weeks is long enough.They were courteous and professional,and I thank them..But it's time to go geocaching,even if I have to use my old Garmin Geko.I see another Magellan in my futcher:D

Haffy
10-16-2009, 07:04 PM
Magellan would be the last GPS that I would pick.

hollora
10-16-2009, 07:07 PM
:D No more DeLorme P-N 30:) I have to take my hat off to the crew at DeLorme for trying to fix it,but two weeks is long enough.They were courteous and professional,and I thank them..But it's time to go geocaching,even if I have to use my old Garmin Geko.I see another Magellan in my futcher:D

Garmin Geko - ditched DeLorme for whatever - I would stay stay with Garmin..........what is your reason for Magellan? I have a very old Etrex I got on Ebay for less than $50 and love it.

Amara hasn't chewed the buttons off yet! LOL

number seven
10-16-2009, 07:45 PM
i've had good luck with Magellan-i like their programs..and support

Hiram357
10-16-2009, 09:53 PM

aww cmon, cachin with a garmin isn't that bad. heck compared to a magellan, at least you'll be able to find the caches you're lookin for! :D

number seven
10-17-2009, 12:49 AM
Garmin's cool.I stopped into LL bean to buy a Colorado,but they did not have one.Plenty of Oregon's but I didn't know anything about them.I need to do some homework.As far as finding the caches-- I have found that following Frank and Sharon works best for me.[8D] note to self--should have sent the P-N 30 to Hiram 357 to adjust

Hiram357
10-17-2009, 11:36 AM
Garmin's cool.I stopped into LL bean to buy a Colorado,but they did not have one.Plenty of Oregon's but I didn't know anything about them.I need to do some homework.As far as finding the caches-- I have found that following Frank and Sharon works best for me.[8D] note to self--should have sent the P-N 30 to Hiram 357 to adjust

Yes, I have many ways to customize a faulty GPSr to suit just about anyones needs!

And to help everyone get into the spirit of huntining season, I'm going to unveil my most recent modifications! I call these the 30.6 add ons! For just the small price of $10 we can retrofit your GPS with this classy add on, that not only makes your GPSr much more compact but also much more lightweight!! :D:D:D:D

P.S. I also do cell phone modifications... :)

squirrelcache
10-18-2009, 10:16 AM
I'm telling you.....It's bright orange appearance is a benefit..........."PULL"!!! To do it right though........you have to capture it....so it can be enjoyed over and over, Then slow the playback down to several frames per second to really appreciate the intricacies of such a fine unit. ;) My son wants a high speed camera in the worst way!

hvaclu
10-18-2009, 02:20 PM
Well Dad I do have to say that you gave the PN-30 a good try. Kind of sad to see you bring it back but I understand. It will be interesting to see how we all do caching together with three different units. Bruce with his Garmin,You with the magellan and me with the PN40. I have to say that the reason I was so excited that you were getting a pn30 was because I was hoping you could teach me how to use mine. LOL. Cant wait to see the new magellan.

number seven
10-18-2009, 05:33 PM
Well Dad I do have to say that you gave the PN-30 a good try. Kind of sad to see you bring it back but I understand. It will be interesting to see how we all do caching together with three different units. Bruce with his Garmin,You with the magellan and me with the PN40. I have to say that the reason I was so excited that you were getting a pn30 was because I was hoping you could teach me how to use mine. LOL. Cant wait to see the new magellan.
Ya right :)I learned more from you than you would from me:o I was sad to bring it back too,because it had a lot going for it.But if don't work,it don't work..Can't wait to go caching with you guy's again.Wish You guy's had been around today..I think you would like Rum mountain.

Hiram357
10-18-2009, 06:44 PM
Ya right :)I learned more from you than you would from me:o I was sad to bring it back too,because it had a lot going for it.But if don't work,it don't work..Can't wait to go caching with you guy's again.Wish You guy's had been around today..I think you would like Rum mountain.

Glad to hear you took it back, sorry to hear you got a magellan...

I broke down yesterday and bought an Oregon 300.

Took it out today and found 7 caches, and have been quite happy with it so far. I really love the feature that allows me to store all the cache pages, hints, and logs. It's much easier that carrying around the laptop! And I didn't think I would like the touch screen, but it's really starting to grow on me.:D:D

dubord207
10-18-2009, 07:47 PM
We love ours. Garmin has had a bunch of firmware updates since we bought them and each update has made the unit even better. Make sure you check for updates as they have been fairly frequent and have helped settle down the compass.

Ekidokai
10-19-2009, 01:55 AM
How much? Always looking to upgrade.

number seven
10-19-2009, 03:29 AM
I get the idea that many of you have had problems with Magellan.What are some of the pitfalls.Was I just lucky on the one that I had?

TRF
10-19-2009, 06:17 AM
I get the idea that many of you have had problems with Magellan.What are some of the pitfalls.Was I just lucky on the one that I had?

hehehe. My personal pitfall with the Magellan was chasing down FFJ's caches for FTF. That Magellan of FFJ's seemed infamous for transposing numbers or in some instances displaying the wrong number. Although I will say, FFJ's Magellan would correctly place 6 of the 7 numbers in a north or west coordinate but those searching for his caches never knew which of those 6 of the 7 numbers to trust. :eek::D;)

In actuality, there is nothing wrong with a Magellan and in the end it filters out to "users preference."

Cache On!!

Gob-ler
10-19-2009, 06:48 AM
Hummm, I was on one of those FFJ FTF hunts once. Oh the nice things we were saying about the Magellan's.

Hiram357
10-19-2009, 06:59 AM
How much? Always looking to upgrade.

I got mine on sale at the Dick's in Agusta for $379, not since Garmin lists the retail price at $399 on their site. :D

squirrelcache
10-19-2009, 07:52 AM
Now if they would come up w/a mix between the oregon and the colorado!

firefighterjake
10-19-2009, 08:13 AM
hehehe. My personal pitfall with the Magellan was chasing down FFJ's caches for FTF. That Magellan of FFJ's seemed infamous for transposing numbers or in some instances displaying the wrong number. Although I will say, FFJ's Magellan would correctly place 6 of the 7 numbers in a north or west coordinate but those searching for his caches never knew which of those 6 of the 7 numbers to trust. :eek::D;)

In actuality, there is nothing wrong with a Magellan and in the end it filters out to "users preference."

Cache On!!

The problem wasn't with the Magellan . . . but rather with the over-excited hider transposing numbers . . . and I'm pretty sure I'm not dyslexic so I don't have any real excuse other than being in a rush to write the numbers down.

firefighterjake
10-19-2009, 08:15 AM

I suspect you'll find that this is just a "Ford vs. Chevy" sort of debate . . . I've had zero issues with either of my Magellans . . . hard to say if things have changed any with the sale of the company and the newer units, but my Explorist 210 and Magellan Meridian have peformed flawlessly . . . now the user using the GPSr . . . that's a different story sometimes.

Waterski
10-19-2009, 09:10 AM
Number seven,
I too went to LL Bean looking for the Colorado, and asking why they do not carry that model. I figured that must be a reason. If you did not get that info, this is what they told me. I was told the reason was that the Colorado had issues with water and corrosion at the plug in area, and they had so many returns on the unit that they ceased to carrry it. It was supposedly an issue especially for people using it around salt water. Researching it I have noticed there are articles about this and a replacement seal can be provided from Garmin to help with this issue.

number seven
10-19-2009, 09:30 AM
Number seven,
I too went to LL Bean looking for the Colorado, and asking why they do not carry that model. I figured that must be a reason. If you did not get that info, this is what they told me. I was told the reason was that the Colorado had issues with water and corrosion at the plug in area, and they had so many returns on the unit that they ceased to carrry it. It was supposedly an issue especially for people using it around salt water. Researching it I have noticed there are articles about this and a replacement seal can be provided from Garmin to help with this issue.
Thanks! I was wondering why.They had all the Oregon's you could possibly want,but no Colorado's.

Haffy
10-19-2009, 04:38 PM
I also think the touchsceen on the Oregon would be much easier to use instead of the rocker arm on the Colorado.

Hiram357
10-19-2009, 08:19 PM
I also think the touchsceen on the Oregon would be much easier to use instead of the rocker arm on the Colorado.

yeah, the rocker was a turnoff for me. but i'm still not convinced that the touch screen will be useable in really cold weather... But according to the weatherman I'll get to test it out soon enough. So far I'm quite impressed by how accurately and quickly the touch screen works, my only complaint is when i'm trying to type something, and the letters are too small for my fat fingers to press just one letter... :D

Gob-ler
10-19-2009, 08:53 PM
Having used the Oregon all last winter I can assure you that the touch screen does just fine in the cold.

fins2right
10-19-2009, 09:00 PM
I started out with a PN-20 and really liked the unit. (for my first 100 finds). As we usually cache as a family I wanted another unit for my wife and went with the new PN-40. I documented my frustration and would like to thank the members of this site for putting up with me! :rolleyes: On my 3rd trip to Yarmouth to fix the unit I decided to turn it in and go with the Oregon at LL Bean. I now have a 400 and a 300 and wish I just purchased 2 400's. The maps are much, much better. All things being equal, I really liked the PN-20. After a few years of owning it the memory started to go (just like me) and every time I unplugged it from the computer nothing would be saved. At times I miss it. I've managed to find quite a few more caches with the Oregon though.

Waterski
10-19-2009, 10:04 PM
I am happy to hear the encouraging words about the Oregon, as that is what we just picked up as well. I tried it last weekend, and it was such a welcomed change from all the papers we tried to keep track of before..having no palm or blackberry. I am anxious to get more use out of it and put it to the test.

Waterski
10-19-2009, 10:06 PM
And if Gobbler can put up with it, with his thousands of finds, it should have certainly been tried out well.

Hiram357
10-20-2009, 06:51 AM
Having used the Oregon all last winter I can assure you that the touch screen does just fine in the cold.

That's good to hear! I have a lot more confidence in it knowing that it's Gobbler approved :D

(I was about to put it in the freezer for a while to test it out, but I don't think I'll push my luck with it just yet...) ;)

Hiram357
10-20-2009, 06:58 AM
I started out with a PN-20 and really liked the unit. (for my first 100 finds). As we usually cache as a family I wanted another unit for my wife and went with the new PN-40. I documented my frustration and would like to thank the members of this site for putting up with me! :rolleyes: On my 3rd trip to Yarmouth to fix the unit I decided to turn it in and go with the Oregon at LL Bean. I now have a 400 and a 300 and wish I just purchased 2 400's. The maps are much, much better. All things being equal, I really liked the PN-20. After a few years of owning it the memory started to go (just like me) and every time I unplugged it from the computer nothing would be saved. At times I miss it. I've managed to find quite a few more caches with the Oregon though.

How are the maps better? Are they better picture quality or better detail quality? Because I just loaded the garmin topo maps on my 300 and I love it, it's just like having my laptop in front of me. After comparing all of the oregons online it appeared that the only major difference was the maps that came with it. (except for the 200 that was really basic, I don't think that one could take a memory card or anything)

TeamHorwich
10-20-2009, 11:45 AM
remember with the pn's you can also add other types of maps, including sat imagery...

WhereRWe?
10-20-2009, 12:46 PM
I tried it last weekend, and it was such a welcomed change from all the papers we tried to keep track of before..having no palm or blackberry.

Sheesh! I'll keep saying this until I'm, blue in the face: Cachemate will work on any Palm based PDA, so cost should not be a concern when "going paperless". You can pick up used PDA's on eBay or at a pawn shop for under $10.

:D:D

Gob-ler
10-20-2009, 03:45 PM
You can now have other types of imagery with the Oregon's as well. It is not just a DeLorme thing any longer.

I also have a PN40 from DeLorme and just don't use it any more. It is just a paper weight!

I have actually toyed with selling it! Humm, that's an idea!

Truthfully, the Oregon has come a long way from its inception. It has most of the kinks worked out of it and it functions very well. Oh yes, it works with winter gloves on as well.

Hiram357
10-20-2009, 04:48 PM
You can now have other types of imagery with the Oregon's as well. It is not just a DeLorme thing any longer.

I also have a PN40 from DeLorme and just don't use it any more. It is just a paper weight!

I have actually toyed with selling it! Humm, that's an idea!

Truthfully, the Oregon has come a long way from its inception. It has most of the kinks worked out of it and it functions very well. Oh yes, it works with winter gloves on as well.

How does that function work? I saw the icon for images but have no clue what its for or how to put those maps on. Can you download images and overlay them on the maps like google earth?

Haffy
10-20-2009, 05:35 PM
Has anyone had any experience with the Dakota's yet? I like the idea that it is smaller,along the lines of the Etrex which I like.

Waterski
10-20-2009, 05:56 PM
Some people will not really listen until you are that deep deep pretty dark violet blue in the face. I think we are just beginning to get the message:):):)

dubord207
10-20-2009, 06:29 PM
Like gob-ler said, they have made some nice improvements in the firmware since we picked up a couple and I agree that they work just fine in cold weather. I do think the lithiium batteries don't last long in these units in really cold weather. I've gone to re-chargeable batteries at Al Gore's suggestion (just kidding you Gore bashers!) and I think these are the answer.

I worked my way through 5 different Garmins and liked them all, each a bit more then the next. I will admit that I'm still using the 60csx for establishing coords on new caches I put out. The Oregon doesn't have an averaging feature, or if it does, I don't know how to use it.

Glad to see the "great one" is still lurking!:)

squirrelcache
10-20-2009, 07:36 PM
Some people will not really listen until you are that deep deep pretty dark violet blue in the face. I think we are just beginning to get the message:):):)
He loves Turkey's........of course he uses that image ;)

Gob-ler
10-20-2009, 09:04 PM
There is a waypoint averaging function on the Oregon. It is a regular menu item and simple to use. OF course the longer you let it average it greater the accuracy you get.

As for the Turkey comment, I must have missed something along the line!

Now for the Image/Raster Map thing there is a detailed discussion at

http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=233269

Ekidokai
10-20-2009, 09:39 PM
There is a waypoint averaging function on the Oregon. It is a regular menu item and simple to use. OF course the longer you let it average it greater the accuracy you get.

As for the Turkey comment, I must have missed something along the line!

Now for the Image/Raster Map thing there is a detailed discussion at

http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=233269

I have had several unites and tried out the averaging feature. All six went through over 100 tries and the accuracy changed a lot and the coordinates never moved. Not one number. So as far as I can see that feature doesn't really do anything. If you let it sit and it just keeps changing the accuracy but the coordinates don't change, what difference can it make except make feel better.

You can go to a spot take readings and walk away. Or you can go to a spot take readings stand there as long as you want waiting for the unit to cycle through as many readings as you want and still walk away with the same coordinates as you started with.

Waterski
10-20-2009, 09:47 PM
Gobbler- what you missed was just whererwe's comment about him telling us something until he was blue in the face.

firefighterjake
10-21-2009, 08:13 AM
Hmmm . . . I must admit . . . I saw Hiram's new Garmin GPSr last night . . . and I was quite impressed with the unit . . . the Garmin . . . not Hiram. ;):D:eek:

Impressed to the point that it almost made me want to rush out and replace my Magellans . . . although they've been pretty good and accurate (the user . . . not so much ;) ) . . . Garmin has done a nice job with this latest GPSr.

Gob-ler
10-21-2009, 09:07 AM
The truth is that it is easy for me to miss things. Especially now that I am approaching seasoned citizenhood! My grandson told me a while back that I am starting to get that Extinguished Look!

squirrelcache
10-21-2009, 09:27 AM
...... Extinguished Look!

That's a riot!! You wrote that one down for your book of priceless quotes by kids........right!?

number seven
10-21-2009, 11:09 AM
:DExtinguished Look!Can't stop laughing..That and the "are you having and old times moment" have got to be on the top of the list..(lol):D

hvaclu
10-26-2009, 11:05 AM
So Dad (number seven) whats your initial impressions of the triton 400? You think its going to work? I thought it was pretty accurate. It hung in there with the garmins and the pn. But with me using the Pn40 and you with the magellan I think we are going to have to come up with a new backpack filled with rechargeable batteries or maybe you can just carry a car battery on your back so we can plug in on the trail. LOL. We had a great day caching with you Sunday cant wait to get back up and do some more.

hide_from_the_kids
10-26-2009, 12:06 PM
maybe they will make one using kinetic energy:D

number seven
10-26-2009, 01:11 PM
maybe they will make one using kinetic energy:D
:)That would be some cool.take a walk and charge up your batteries :)

number seven
10-26-2009, 01:19 PM
It's accurate enough,but it leaves allot to be desired.Like you said Donna-there will be a garmin in our future (I'm thinking Oregon )-I don't see anyway of logging caches with the Magellan.I have to use the Palm.And that's ok for now. YES ! That was fun.Bruce don't need anything.He's quite the rotor tiller.