View Full Version : just wanted to share

hide_from_the_kids
10-08-2009, 09:10 AM
the other night at work i met a fellow from south carolina. he makes wooden canoes.he offered to show me one of the paddles he made that he had with him. each canoe and paddle are made by hand no patterns or jigs. i was amazed by this and thought i would share it with you guys here is the link to his web site: http://www.woodsongcanoes.com/canoes.htm

i don't think i could ever afford one but they are still beautiful pieces of work.

pm28570
10-08-2009, 01:27 PM
Look pretty awesome. Thanks Jamie

Team V3
10-08-2009, 01:39 PM
That is very cool. Thank you for sharing.

hollora
10-08-2009, 02:36 PM
Very nice.

Ekidokai
10-09-2009, 12:54 AM
Oh dear God!

$150 deposit on a paddle. Just the paddle and it takes 40 hours to make.

$10,000 to $25,000 deposit and then five payments after that. Holy crap! What could the total be? $150,000.

1100 to 2000 hours to make the canoe.

Works of art is right. they do look great. I was considering getting one, but they look real heavy.

Thanks Hide.

Haffy
10-09-2009, 08:08 PM
Actually they are pretty light considering the length. They usually go 50 lbs. or less

hide_from_the_kids
10-09-2009, 10:25 PM
most of the wood used is water treated meaning it has been under water for decades it is beautiful wood. maybe someone can do something like that out of the wood they drag up from flagstaff lake.

hollora
10-09-2009, 11:19 PM
most of the wood used is water treated meaning it has been under water for decades it is beautiful wood. maybe someone can do something like that out of the wood they drag up from flagstaff lake.

There are two entrupenuers (? sp) bringing wood up from the bottom of the Penobscot River. The salvage rights to the Penosbcot River belong to the Penobscots and one of the gentlemen is Penobscot and has obtained salvage rights. An interesting article in the news about this wood and their recovery efforts recently.

I remember as a child dragging old logs and trees out of the West shore side of Beach Hill Pond in Otis. There was great discussion back then of the quality of this water cured wood. I know, once it dried out if you cut it with a saw and used it in a fire, it lasted a lot longer than and dried wood which had been cut and stacked in a wood pile.

We kids used to dive down with our fins and masks, put a rope around a log and drag the end out to the adults who would pull it out of the lake with a 4 x 4. Great fun on a summer night.

The future for all the wood under Maine lakes is only beginning to be tapped. Interesting and thanks HFTK for sharing this beautiful craft and reviving some childhood memories for me.

hide_from_the_kids
10-09-2009, 11:41 PM
child hood memories were just like yesterday. i have swam at beach hill pond and lived not 5 minutes from it. never knew about the wood harvesting. i might have to go for a dive soon.

amandalt
10-11-2009, 09:00 PM
There are two entrupenuers (? sp) bringing wood up from the bottom of the Penobscot River. The salvage rights to the Penosbcot River belong to the Penobscots and one of the gentlemen is Penobscot and has obtained salvage rights. An interesting article in the news about this wood and their recovery efforts recently.

Sounds pretty interesting, Hollora - do you remember where you read about this? I'd like to check it out.

hollora
10-11-2009, 09:43 PM
Sounds pretty interesting, Hollora - do you remember where you read about this? I'd like to check it out.

It was in a newpaper and I want to say the Bangor Daily but can't be sure. Anyway - here is the website for the company - http://www.sinkerlog.com/public/index.cfm?fuseaction=articles.view&id=7391

pjpreb
10-12-2009, 08:52 PM

The Lewiston Sun Journal did a story on that about 2 weeks ago

hollora
10-12-2009, 10:24 PM
Very interesting as in the 60s when we were hauling logs out of Beech Hill Pond - there was great discussion about the potential. The wood, the quality, the seasoning, etc................and now, 40+ years later..........they are all excited about wood out of the bottom of the Penobscot. There a bunch more rivers and surely many ponds and lakes where harvesting might occur.

Sudonim
10-13-2009, 01:30 PM
It was in a newpaper and I want to say the Bangor Daily but can't be sure. Anyway - here is the website for the company - http://www.sinkerlog.com/public/index.cfm?fuseaction=articles.view&id=7391

It WAS in the BDN, maybe about a week ago. Interesting article.

Ekidokai
10-13-2009, 01:34 PM
BDN is doing a story on BGH soon. I'm trying to get them to do a story about caching too.

hollora
10-13-2009, 03:30 PM
It WAS in the BDN, maybe about a week ago. Interesting article.

Thanks for the date........I wasn't sure but I did find the company's web site.

hollora
10-13-2009, 03:31 PM
BDN is doing a story on BGH soon. I'm trying to get them to do a story about caching too.

What is BGH?

Ekidokai
10-13-2009, 03:58 PM
What else... Bangor Ghost Hunters. This time of year do you have to ask.

It's about... here we go again.... Riceville.

hollora
10-13-2009, 06:21 PM
What else... Bangor Ghost Hunters. This time of year do you have to ask.

It's about... here we go again.... Riceville.

Check - thank U!

Ekidokai
10-13-2009, 06:48 PM
They were taking videos too. Newspaper with video, that should be interesting.

EMSDanel
10-14-2009, 11:50 PM
Ghosts on video would catch my attention as well....

Ekidokai
10-15-2009, 01:27 AM
I hope they post the reporter screaming.

I couldn't resist.