View Full Version : Bangor Parks & Rec Trails - Survey

hollora
10-09-2009, 08:45 PM
Since there are Geocaches on the Bangor Parks & Rec Trails in many parks, I thought I would bring to your attention the department is currently running a survey. They are looking for your opinions on the use of City Trails and how to address the concerns of dog owners and non-dog owners.

Take the survey on line at http://www.bangorparksandrec.com/info/default.aspx You do not have to be a resident to complete the survey.

brdad
10-09-2009, 08:55 PM
This is good. I know it only takes a couple bad doers to make everyone else look bad, but dogs and their droppings are an issue in the city woods, or better yet their owners are an issue.

I hate it when a dog owner says "Oh, he never bites anyone"! I should not have to be confronted with the situation of wondering if he does bite!

Haffy
10-09-2009, 09:54 PM
I took the survey and I gave them once instance at the Bangor City forest where I had a huge dog run up to me and almost knock me down. Scared the crap outta me at first as I had no idea where the owner was or even knew the dogs intentions. Fortunately for me the dog was friendly and the owner finally came around the corner after a few minutes. Good thing for me and the owner it was a friendly dog or he would have had a lawsuit on his hands...lol. I think dog parks are a great idea which I think is the reason for the survey. They make leashes for a reason. Irresponsible owners are my biggest concern.

hollora
10-09-2009, 10:21 PM
I took the survey and I gave them once instance at the Bangor City forest where I had a huge dog run up to me and almost knock me down. Scared the crap outta me at first as I had no idea where the owner was or even knew the dogs intentions. Fortunately for me the dog was friendly and the owner finally came around the corner after a few minutes. Good thing for me and the owner it was a friendly dog or he would have had a lawsuit on his hands...lol. I think dog parks are a great idea which I think is the reason for the survey. They make leashes for a reason. Irresponsible owners are my biggest concern.

Right on - thanks for taking the survey. I even mentioned in mine I appreciate caches being allowed and that is one of the motivators for going to Bangor public parks/trails. I hope others who have cached the Bangor trails also take the time to respond.

hide_from_the_kids
10-09-2009, 11:17 PM
a friend of mine tried inventing a doggy poo hammock. kind of a sock that hangs from the dogs butt and catchs the poo. but could not get a dog to keep it on. good idea for those lazy owners.

vicbiker
10-10-2009, 10:28 AM
I just took the survey and also added that I like to geocache in the Bangor parks.

hide_from_the_kids
10-10-2009, 10:54 AM
i did the survey as well

Ekidokai
10-10-2009, 11:13 AM
Took the survey and mentioned geocaching.

Twice while out on the trails I have seen off leash dogs attack on leash dogs. I have been tripped by one on leash dog. Also the pet waste is becoming a problem.

pjpreb
10-11-2009, 08:34 PM
Took the survey and mentioned geocaching.

Twice while out on the trails I have seen off leash dogs attack on leash dogs. I have been tripped by one on leash dog. Also the pet waste is becoming a problem.

I also took the survey and shared my experience of Chip being "pinned" by a larger, unleashed dog. I am proud to say that nobody has ever (or will ever) step in any waste that Chip leaves behind. It is a shame that the BCF has such a dog waste issue and as it stands now, it's a walk of shame for dog owners.

hollora
10-11-2009, 09:52 PM
I also took the survey and shared my experience of Chip being "pinned" by a larger, unleashed dog. I am proud to say that nobody has ever (or will ever) step in any waste that Chip leaves behind. It is a shame that the BCF has such a dog waste issue and as it stands now, it's a walk of shame for dog owners.

Oh, oh - I love what you have said. I was the bad for years at the dog shows - shaming people to pick up their poop - explaining why hotels didn't want dogs.......but I never thought of the phrase - "Walk of Shame". Very nice! Well - not that we should have to have it - but it says it all for those who do not pick up the poop!

I did not realize about Chip - I am so sorry. These folks who have dogs who do this don't get it. It was like the Boston Terrier who chased Amara's baby carriage around Prentiss Woods - barking and nipping at the wheels - all the while with the owner saying, "she won't bite". Yeah, tell that to the child's Mom who was bitten in the a _ _ riding her bike on the road in middle school and bitten in the face by a show dog at a dog show. When I asked the owner to call her dog - she asked why and said the dog (she named it - can't remember the name) didn't know how to come. duhhh!

Hey everyone, thanks for sharing your experiences and doing the survey. I am sure Bangor is interested to know others from outside their city use their parks and also to get your input. And if our reason for going there is geocaching - good for them to know that too.

brdad
10-12-2009, 06:57 AM
The worst part about this discussion is that the survey concerns Bangor only. This issue is certainly not limited to Bangor parks only. It's statewide, and not even in the parks. It's all over, and not just in the parks. I have to clean crap up of our lawn every so often from ignorant dog owners. Hopefully some other municipalities will see the results of this survey and see how the issue might affect their area.

Haffy
10-12-2009, 08:35 AM
I hear yah Dave. We have a couple of people who seem to think when they go out with their dogs every morning that our mailbox is the local poo stop for dogs. Disgusting and I have to mow that area all the time. YUCK!!!

Opalsns
10-12-2009, 11:51 AM
I hear yah Dave. We have a couple of people who seem to think when they go out with their dogs every morning that our mailbox is the local poo stop for dogs. Disgusting and I have to mow that area all the time. YUCK!!!

Now,
I find this curious, in a funny way actually.
They keep doing it at your personal mailbox and you don't say anything to them ???

Haffy, You don't say anything to them??????????LOL!!!!

Haffy, TELL EM OFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!LOL!!!

Oh and a good Idea is to carry a squirt gun with you when walking. Squirt the dog in the face or mouth, NOT in the eyes or ears, and it'll slow them down. And if the owner gets mad, Squirt him too!!!!!
Maybe a warm soda too.
Shake that up and squirt the dog. He'll be so sticky, his owner may think twice about letting them hover around people.

Haffy
10-12-2009, 05:07 PM
If I owned this property I would but I don't, I live with my sister and her husband and they know of this but they don't want to confront them with it.

hollora
10-12-2009, 05:15 PM
Regarding other town's and the concern about dog waste.......this is not a problem unique to Bangor. It is universal and actually a World wide problem.

In our town poo is considered litter. We have a pretty tough littering ordinance. So, there is not a dog poo ordinance but it comes under our litter ordinance and this has a much stiffer fine than most towns/municipalities poo ordinances. In fact, a violation in our town is double what it would be for not scooping poo in Bangor.

Now, in Orrington - our other problem is not dog poo - but horse poo! I am not kidding. There are a ton of horses and riders in town. No one scoops their horse poo! No one! Hum, no one rides horses in Bangor City Forest???

Horses do behave better than dogs - that's for sure! They are under the rider's control. But the poo - now that is a big pile and a mess for tires and walkers.

I think Bangor is using this survey to see about making a dog park and perhaps also who uses and why do they use Bangor public land. Thanks to all who have responded to the survey.

brdad
10-12-2009, 05:54 PM
If I owned this property I would but I don't, I live with my sister and her husband and they know of this but they don't want to confront them with it.

There are dog/cat repellents available. I am not sure how effective they are but it might be a nice quiet way to try in your case where it's just around a mailbox post.

Now that I think of it, maybe if I ran it down both sides of the sidewalk it'd help me some as well!

Ekidokai
10-13-2009, 03:24 AM
Silencers are great.

Hiram357
10-13-2009, 07:03 AM
Silencers are great.

if only they made silencers for hand gernades, what a time it would be... :rolleyes:;):D

firefighterjake
10-13-2009, 08:34 AM
if only they made silencers for hand gernades, what a time it would be... :rolleyes:;):D

Oh I don't know . . . seems to me I've hung around you enough and I've seen more than one occasion when a room has been cleared by you without a single sound being made . . . perhaps this was the silenced hand grenade . . . or maybe it was just a little bit of chemical warfare? ;):rolleyes:

Opalsns
10-13-2009, 08:44 AM
Silencers on Grenades ????
Now that just doesn't make sense.
You gotta have the Boom, or the mushroom cloud won't make sense!

Opalsns
10-13-2009, 08:45 AM
Oh I don't know . . . seems to me I've hung around you enough and I've seen more than one occasion when a room has been cleared by you without a single sound being made . . . perhaps this was the silenced hand grenade . . . or maybe it was just a little bit of chemical warfare? ;):rolleyes:

OOOOOOH, Silencers.