View Full Version : WhereRWe? & RULost2? Caching Trip

WhereRWe?
10-11-2009, 12:07 AM
We're off again, and I thought I'd write a few words about our trip as it develops. Hope someone finds it interesting.

First day, left home at 5:30 AM on a 20-hour, butt-knumbing trip via Bangor, Detroit, Minneapolis, and San Francisco, ending up at N31 19.631 W157 50.087.

Remember: If you ever go on a long flight, bring your GPSr. Although we had clouds from Bangor to Minneapolis, the weather cleared and it was a great help to know exactly where we were as we crossed the snowy mountains of Wyoming and Utah, the deserts of Nevada, and the big farms in California.

Finally arrived at the hotel about 10:30 PM (5:30 AM Maine time), and after 2 drinks apiece (Sheesh! $25 PLUS tip!), we crashed.

Another reminder: if you reserve an "ocean view" room, be prepared for a letdown (or an argument with the desk clerk for a different room, if you're so inclined). The room next to us - away from the ocean - is a "partial ocean view" for $14 a night less.

No geocaching today, as we had our son with us, who doesn't understand how much fun it is. RULost2? and I are heading out tomorrow and hope to place all the TBs and geocoins we brought with us.

I'll let you know how it went.

:D:D

Mainiac1957
10-11-2009, 04:41 AM
Remember: If you ever go on a long flight, bring your GPSr. Although we had clouds from Bangor to Minneapolis, the weather cleared and it was a great help to know exactly where we were as we crossed the snowy mountains of Wyoming and Utah, the deserts of Nevada, and the big farms in California.

A good tip for sure Bruce. I have brought mine on every flight. Lets you identify cities as you fly over them too.

pm28570
10-11-2009, 07:01 AM
Hey Bruce....have fun and I look forward to hearing of your travels. And thanks to you and RULost2 for lugging that coin for me.

We're off again, and I thought I'd write a few words about our trip as it develops. Hope someone finds it interesting.

First day, left home at 5:30 AM on a 20-hour, butt-knumbing trip via Bangor, Detroit, Minneapolis, and San Francisco, ending up at N31 19.631 W157 50.087.

Finally arrived at the hotel about 10:30 PM (5:30 AM Maine time), and after 2 drinks apiece (Sheesh! $25 PLUS tip!), we crashed.

Another reminder: if you reserve an "ocean view" room, be prepared for a letdown (or an argument with the desk clerk for a different room, if you're so inclined). The room next to us - away from the ocean - is a "partial ocean view" for $14 a night less.

No geocaching today, as we had our son with us, who doesn't understand how much fun it is. RULost2? and I are heading out tomorrow and hope to place all the TBs and geocoins we brought with us.

I'll let you know how it went.

cano
10-11-2009, 09:18 AM
A good tip for sure Bruce. I have brought mine on every flight. Lets you identify cities as you fly over them too.
Mine never worked on any airplane :(

Ekidokai
10-11-2009, 11:28 AM
I think you have to hold it out the window to get the signal.

WhereRWe?
10-11-2009, 12:55 PM
Mine never worked on any airplane :(

I do note that it seems to take a LONG time for the GPSr to acquire enough satellites to give you some coordinates, even though plenty of satellites are shown. Once it does lock a signal, I got at least 8 satellites. :D:D

team moxiepup
10-11-2009, 07:49 PM
Sitting on the southern side of the plane also helps as there are a lot more satellites south of us.

Have a fun and safe trip!!

pjpreb
10-11-2009, 07:56 PM
We always bring the GPSr on a flight and haven't had issues getting signal. it is really fun to follow along as you fly. Last flight on Delta had a tracking map on the seatback display that was pretty cool.

Hope you have a great time and get some fun caches :)

pm28570
10-11-2009, 08:59 PM
Try the patio seating next time. No overhead bins but the view is priceless.

I do note that it seems to take a LONG time for the GPSr to acquire enough satellites to give you some coordinates, even though plenty of satellites are shown. Once it does lock a signal, I got at least 8 satellites. :D:D

WhereRWe?
10-13-2009, 12:35 AM
Try the patio seating next time. No overhead bins but the view is priceless.

Sheesh! Don't get me started on people trying to save the $15 baggage check fee by trying to stuff their suitcase in the overhead bins! LOL!

BTW: I placed your geocoin in the "Pineapple Experience" (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=64c768a6-acdf-46af-9a73-707d876c2cd7) cache today. :D

brdad
10-13-2009, 05:52 AM
On some flights, I wish people would strap their bags in the seats and stuff their kids in the overhead bins!

Glad you are having a good trip. Been watching your cache finds.

pm28570
10-13-2009, 08:11 AM
Yup, got the notice that it was placed. Thanks, I appreciate it. Hope all is well.

Sheesh! Don't get me started on people trying to save the $15 baggage check fee by trying to stuff their suitcase in the overhead bins! LOL!

BTW: I placed your geocoin in the "Pineapple Experience" (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=64c768a6-acdf-46af-9a73-707d876c2cd7) cache today. :D

robt
10-13-2009, 01:36 PM
On some flights, I wish people would strap their bags in the seats and stuff their kids in the overhead bins!

Glad you are having a good trip. Been watching your cache finds.

The kids do not bother me it is some of the adults that need to go in the cargo hold :D:D:D:D:D

WhereRWe?
10-13-2009, 11:12 PM
I've been having computer problems, so won't be saying too much.

For the last 3 days, we've been touring the island, eating fresh fruit (I've had 5 varieties of bananas so far! LOL!), and taking pictures. The Waikiki area is fairly dry and sunny, while the northern part of the island is damp and jungle-like - all in a distance of 15 miles. RULost2? just went down to the beach in her bathing suit for the first time (my body will not be uncovered in public), but I'm enjoying "Big Wave" golden ale (http://www.konabrewingco.com/).

RULost2? and son James are going to tour Pearl Harbor memorials tomorrow, and I'm going to try and do a full day of geocaching. We haven't seen any GRC/LPC caches yet. Even the micro caches are placed in interesting areas.

Yesterday, we visited the Ala Moana Shopping Center, which is supposed to be the biggest open air market in the world. I believe it! And I have a different recollection of the market from when I was here there 39 years ago, on R&R leave from Vietnam. I don't recall it being quite so "up scale", i.e., Chanel, Dior, Harry Winston, Tiffany's, Prada, etc. I saw an "Aloha shirt" in the window of Tommy Bahama that I liked. Went in and found that it was $124. Sheesh!

dubord207
10-14-2009, 07:35 PM
Sounds like you're having a ball! So if you think the overhead bins are stuffed on the way "over", wait until you return East. Amazing how many bottles of Duty Free booze folks will drag through airports to save 3 bucks! The term "ugly Americans" is a common expression on commercial flights, but what the heck, it would have been a hard drive! Have fun you two!:)

WhereRWe?
10-15-2009, 12:15 AM
We, like most "mainlanders", had some misconceptions about our 50th state.
Here are some observations to dispel those misconceptions.

1. There are very few "Hawaiians" in Hawaii. Most people are either Japanese, Chinese or tourists.

2. The stereotypical "Aloha shirt" is not a tourist thing. The locals all wear them (but I don't think they buy them at Tommy Bahama!)

3. There are no "homeless people" in Hawaii. Yes, you see many, many people/families camped on the public beaches, living in tents, cardboard boxes, blue-poly tarp shelters, etc. But this is their home. They are not homeless. And with the weather like it is here, I'm envious.

4. If you think the weather in Maine is contrary... A thirty-minute drive will take you from an area that hasn't seen rain in weeks, to an area that hasn't seen the sun in weeks. From arid "desert" to tropical jungle in 30 minutes. sheesh!

5. If you have to ask how much it is, you can't afford it. And this applies to everything. Remember: If you're here, you're on vacation, and cost doesn't matter.

Today's brew: "Big Wave Golden Ale" (http://www.konabrewingco.com/beers/big-wave-golden-ale). (Yeah, again. Can't help it - I like it...)

Ekidokai
10-15-2009, 01:24 AM
Are my eyes going, or did that lizard pee in that glass?

WhereRWe?
10-15-2009, 03:10 AM
LOL!

I've seen several lizards. One ran up my arm the other day when I removed a rock from a wall looking for a cache. I saw a mongoose today - I thought that was cool. :D:D

squirrelcache
10-15-2009, 08:18 AM
I'm not sure which Island you're on....If you're pawing around stonewalls and leaf litter....you may get a glimpse of the only known parthenogenic snake, known as the Brahminy Blind snake. Geckos are also parthenogenic, handy for Island proliferation.

Have you seen the State bird yet? The caution signs you see roadside are about the Nene Goose. They're endangered, along w/the gorgeous Monk Seal.

Most likely you won't be offered a plastic bag for your purchases there. Plastic bag trash has been very harmful on the wildlife!

I'm anxious to see what great pics you'll be sharing w/us. Have fun!

Waterski
10-15-2009, 08:22 AM
Enjoying your interesting posts!! Sounds like the trip is going well.

pm28570
10-15-2009, 08:23 AM
So.......uh.........how's those surfing lessons going? :D

If you have to ask how much it is, you can't afford it. And this applies to everything. Remember: If you're here, you're on vacation, and cost doesn't matter.

Today's brew: "Big Wave Golden Ale" (http://www.konabrewingco.com/beers/big-wave-golden-ale). (Yeah, again. Can't help it - I like it...)

dubord207
10-15-2009, 01:00 PM
Forget snakes, geckos, geese....any hula girl viewings? Send photos!:)

WhereRWe?
10-15-2009, 01:34 PM
Forget snakes, geckos, geese....any hula girl viewings? Send photos!:)

The only hula dancers we've seen were a couple from the Polynesian Cultural Center that participated in an orientation we attended on our first day here. But if we were in Maine, I can definitely say that the police would have ample grounds to stop me for "distracted driving". :eek::eek:

Temperature right now: 84 degrees, with a nice breeze off the ocean...

:p:p

Waterski
10-15-2009, 06:52 PM
Well, the only distraction here at the moment are people in winter coats and hats. Send some of that heat our way.

Ekidokai
10-15-2009, 09:22 PM
Send food. I hear the eats are good there.

WhereRWe?
10-16-2009, 02:56 AM
Just got back from the weekly luau here at the hotel (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hale_Koa_Hotel). Fantastic 3-hour show. Started with a cocktail hour featuring Hawaiian/Polynesian crafts, etc. Best part was when the guy climbed the coconut palm tree in 9 seconds. Sheesh!

Then a big dinner featuring traditional Hawaiian fare. Delicious! Kalua pig, mahi-mahi, fried banana, coconut crusted yams, and more... And lots of fruit.

Lastly, a typical Polynesian show. And since RULost2? managed to snag seats at the front row table, I got a great view of the hula dancers.

One of the best thing about the tropics is the fresh fruit. I've mentioned bananas, but the pineapple is unlike any you've ever had at home. The flavor is intense. Likewise the papaya, star fruit, guava, limes and lemons... And like many other things in other areas, buying it fresh, from a roadside stand, is the best way to get the freshest and cheapest.

Sheesh! Only 4 more days...

(Today's beer: Primo (http://www.primobeer.com/lpa.aspx?returnurl=http%3a%2f%2fwww.primobeer.com% 2fdefault.aspx)!)

squirrelcache
10-16-2009, 07:11 AM
And they're Not kidding w/their cautions about eating too much fresh pineapple!!! The ones we get are powerful enough!! Papaya's one to watch too!

Sudonim
10-16-2009, 09:54 AM
Just got back from the weekly luau here at the hotel (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hale_Koa_Hotel). Fantastic 3-hour show. Started with a cocktail hour featuring Hawaiian/Polynesian crafts, etc. Best part was when the guy climbed the coconut palm tree in 9 seconds. Sheesh!

Then a big dinner featuring traditional Hawaiian fare. Delicious! Kalua pig, mahi-mahi, fried banana, coconut crusted yams, and more... And lots of fruit.

Lastly, a typical Polynesian show. And since RULost2? managed to snag seats at the front row table, I got a great view of the hula dancers.

One of the best thing about the tropics is the fresh fruit. I've mentioned bananas, but the pineapple is unlike any you've ever had at home. The flavor is intense. Likewise the papaya, star fruit, guava, limes and lemons... And like many other things in other areas, buying it fresh, from a roadside stand, is the best way to get the freshest and cheapest.

Sheesh! Only 4 more days...

(Today's beer: Primo (http://www.primobeer.com/lpa.aspx?returnurl=http%3a%2f%2fwww.primobeer.com% 2fdefault.aspx)!)

mmmmmm....mangos:p

WhereRWe?
10-16-2009, 11:17 PM
Since we are heading to the "Big Island" tomorrow, today was sort of a "wind-down" day. Souvenir shopping, getting photos printed, etc. But late this afternoon, we found Chinatown. Sheesh! What an experience! So many little strange-smelling shops and stalls... Meat and fish markets that would gross out most of the people here. Parts of animals I couldn't identify, and sea creatures that I've never seen before. (If anyone wants some dried baby eels...) We bought more bananas, a couple boxes of tea, and some Chinese garlic. And vegetables... Many things you'll never see in the Johhn'y Selected Seeds catalog! LOL!

(Yeah - does seem like we're eating a lot of bananas, but they're only 3 inches long and 1/2 thick! LOL!)

Oh... We did see another mongoose this afternoon. That was cool. :D:D

Ekidokai
10-16-2009, 11:24 PM
Oh man, that sounds good to me. At work, late at night, a crowd would gather to watch me eat. I like the unusual stuff.

And my fisher can beat up your mongoose. It's getting hungry, almost all the cats and gofers are gone around here.

WhereRWe?
10-17-2009, 03:08 AM
Oh man, that sounds good to me. At work, late at night, a crowd would gather to watch me eat. I like the unusual stuff.

Sheesh! I'll bet you watch "Bizarre Foods" on the Travel Channel all the time! LOL!

We went to the fireworks show at the Hilton Hawaiian Village (http://www.hiltonhawaiianvillage.com/) tonight, next door to our hotel. Seems like that is the place to be on this end of Waikiki on Friday night! People departed in EVERY direction after the show.

WhereRWe?
10-19-2009, 12:43 AM
Sheesh! Oahu was great, but the "Big Island" Hawaii is better. If I had to give one bit of advice to anyone planning a trip to Hawaii, I suggest spending 3 days on Oahu and the rest of the vacation on this island. So much bigger and so much more to see!

Seems like the only vehicles the rental car agencies have are either a PT Cruiser or a Jeep Wrangler (I got the Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon. Can I join Team ORCA now?)

Discovered a long forgotten fruit today - the Rambutan (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rambutan). I'd had these 39 years ago in Vietnam, but never knew the name. We went to an open-air market today, and I saw these and was fingering one when the owner asked if I'd like to try one. As soon as he peeled it, I knew I'd had it before and loved it. I bought a pound, then discovered that neither RULost2? or son James liked them. So I gotta eat a lot of rambutans tomorrow. Along with the pound of bananas and the pineapple. Life it tough in the tropics...

Only did a couple of caches today. One - an Earthcache (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=gcqv5h&Submit6=Go) - was in the Volcanoes National Park. I'll post pictures later. The other was near a huge banyan tree (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=aa9d2749-2602-46ce-876e-5cf1b10b5383) (the one where Tarzan always used the hanging vines to travel from tree to tree). It's a big tree, believe me!

Tomorrow is the last day before we return home, so we're going to Kona to tour the coffee plantations and the Kona brewery (since I've been drinking their stuff most of the trip. LOL!)

Today's brew: Mauna Kea Pale Ale (http://www.mehana.com/).

Ekidokai
10-19-2009, 01:48 AM
Very cool.

It was just supposed to rain today. I was coming back from Calais down Rt. 9 and got caught in dense fog, heavy rain and whiteouts that were leaving several inches of snow on the road.

Sounds better there.

WhereRWe?
10-19-2009, 02:13 AM
It was just supposed to rain today. I was coming back from Calais down Rt. 9 and got caught in dense fog, heavy rain and whiteouts that were leaving several inches of snow on the road.

Sounds better there.

When we woke up this morning, the temperature here - 3500 feet up Moana Loa - was 65 degrees. We headed down the mountain along the "Chain of Craters Road". By the time we got to sea level, the temperature was 91 degrees! LOL!

But believe it or not, on two of the Hawaiian islands, they actually have skiing in winter. :D:D

firefighterjake
10-19-2009, 08:25 AM
I'm enjoying your travelogue WhereRWe . . . thanks for sharing.

hollora
10-19-2009, 09:11 AM
Hawaii is my son and daughter-in-law's favorite place to vacation - they have gone twice.

WhereRWe?
10-19-2009, 12:56 PM
Hawaii is my son and daughter-in-law's favorite place to vacation - they have gone twice.

"Hawaii" the state, or "Hawaii" the island! Knowing what I know now, I wouldn't spend any time in Oahu on a future trip. The area around Hilo is a lot like Waikiki - small shops, etc. - but a lot less crowded. We're going to visit Kona today. coffee, anyone? LOL!

hollora
10-19-2009, 01:42 PM
"Hawaii" the state, or "Hawaii" the island! Knowing what I know now, I wouldn't spend any time in Oahu on a future trip. The area around Hilo is a lot like Waikiki - small shops, etc. - but a lot less crowded. We're going to visit Kona today. coffee, anyone? LOL!

Not sure exactly which islands they have visited. I know last visit they were racing the storm surge to get to the airport to ensure they made their flight for their next destination island. Last visit they stayed in B&Bs and loved learning for the folks who ran them.

Enjoy the rest of your visit to our 50th State. Someday I dream of going there.

dubord207
10-19-2009, 05:01 PM
Thanks for sharing your travels with us. I've never been to Hawaii, hope to go by boat sometime if I can ever afford to retire. When you get back to Maine it would be great if you lay out the must see and ought to avoids for future travellers. I know you had military accomodations but did you find things expensive or is it "off season" right now?

And didn't you "promise" to upload some pictures of hula dancers?:)

WhereRWe?
10-19-2009, 10:47 PM
When you get back to Maine it would be great if you lay out the must see and ought to avoids for future travellers. I know you had military accomodations but did you find things expensive or is it "off season" right now?

And didn't you "promise" to upload some pictures of hula dancers?:)

I'll post more after we return as I think of it.

And I don't really think there is an "off season". The weather is the same year-round (as are the prices), and although there are very few families with school-aged kids, there are LOTS of old people. And Japanese tour groups. (Sheesh!) While waiting for out inter-island flight on Saturday, I saw three Japan Air Lines 747's land within 20 minutes. No matter what place you've stopped to sightsee, within a few minutes a van or bus with a Japanese tour group will pull up. And they take a lot of pictures.

The hula dancers are on RULost2?'s camera (I stupidly didn't bring my camera to the luau), and even though I brought about 10 different cords, I don't have a mini-mini USB cord to connect to her camera. You'll have to wait.

Supper tonight: Pineapple. Breakfast tomorrow: Pineapple and bananas.

hide_from_the_kids
10-21-2009, 11:31 AM
Supper tonight: Pineapple. Breakfast tomorrow: Pineapple and bananas.

:eek:did you drink them out of beer?:D

WhereRWe?
10-21-2009, 05:12 PM
:eek:did you drink them out of beer?:D

Sheesh! No! I brought back the "leftover" beer with me in the suitcase. I couldn't bring back the pineapple and bananas! LOL!

Hawaii has very strict agricultural laws. When arriving in the state, you have to fill out a form declaring all agricultural products (and animals). When we left The "Big Island", our bags were x-rayed for agricultural products. And then again on Oahu when we transferred from the inter-island terminal to the main terminal. And the nin the lounge at the departure gate, an "agriculture cop" with a sniffer dog was going through the area - and I don't think they were looking for "recreational - type" agricultural products. LOL!

cano
10-21-2009, 07:23 PM
Sheesh! No! I brought back the "leftover" beer with me in the suitcase. I couldn't bring back the pineapple and bananas! LOL!

Hawaii has very strict agricultural laws. When arriving in the state, you have to fill out a form declaring all agricultural products (and animals). When we left The "Big Island", our bags were x-rayed for agricultural products. And then again on Oahu when we transferred from the inter-island terminal to the main terminal. And the nin the lounge at the departure gate, an "agriculture cop" with a sniffer dog was going through the area - and I don't think they were looking for "recreational - type" agricultural products. LOL!

LOL it's not Hawaii, it's US policy.

squirrelcache
10-21-2009, 07:35 PM

He's right.......I know someone that walks past customs w/edibles and herbs from Japan ;)

cano
10-21-2009, 09:17 PM
He's right.......I know someone that walks past customs w/edibles and herbs from Japan ;)

He is right because you know one person who walks past customs with herbs from Japan? LOL

This is the first link Google returned for searching about importing agricultural products

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/clearing/agri_prod_inus.xml

squirrelcache
10-21-2009, 09:46 PM
No.......you're right! It's a policy that stands for many coming into the country.

cano
10-21-2009, 10:27 PM
No.......you're right! It's a policy that stands for many coming into the country.
I thought you are referring to WhereRWe (http://www.geocachingmaine.org/forum/member.php?u=12). This reminds me. When I was on my vacation out of the US, I packed a sandwich to my checked baggage. When I got my baggage back I found somebody was going thru my stuff, half was broken and my sandwich was missing. Two weeks later, when I got back to the US, I had nothing to declare on customs. I got back home and found in one pocket in my baggage my missing sandwich. It was all green. Good I did not get arrested for bioterrorism :)

squirrelcache
10-21-2009, 10:45 PM
roflmao........... a true story of Green eggs and ham......I love it ;)

brdad
10-22-2009, 06:48 AM
I think you'll find Hawaii has strict agricultural laws of it's own on top of those which apply to those entering or leaving the the US. After all, Hawaii is a US state. But because it is small and isolated, there is a greater fear of introduction of unwanted plants and critters than between the contiguous US states.

lexmano
10-22-2009, 09:08 AM
I think you'll find Hawaii has strict agricultural laws of it's own on top of those which apply to those entering or leaving the the US. After all, Hawaii is a US state. But because it is small and isolated, there is a greater fear of introduction of unwanted plants and critters than between the contiguous US states.

California also has stricter controls to protect their agricultural industry. I'll never forget my surprise as I entered California by car from Arizona and came to a border patrol checkpoint several years ago.

We just returned from the West coast and again entered California by car from Oregon and Nevada. The checkpoints are still being maintained and staffed. Definitely a different experience.

WhereRWe?
10-22-2009, 09:12 AM

Could be, but everything I saw said "Hawaii Department of Agriculture", not "US Department of Agriculture". :D:D (And it would surprise me if the US Government was involved in INTRA-state commerce.)

WhereRWe?
10-24-2009, 05:55 PM
Ekidokai has been asking for pictures of the hula dancers, so here is a picture of some we saw at the Honolulu airport prior to our departure. :p:p

dubord207
10-24-2009, 06:37 PM
Ekidokai has been asking for pictures of the hula dancers, so here is a picture of some we saw at the Honolulu airport prior to our departure. :p:p

Those "ladies" aren't from Hawaii. I saw them perform at the Solon Motel last summer. Bruce, you have your photos mixed up!:)

WhereRWe?
10-24-2009, 06:40 PM
Those "ladies" aren't from Hawaii. I saw them perform at the Solon Motel last summer. Bruce, you have your photos mixed up!:)

Sheesh! The only performers at the Solon Hotel are the drunks! LOL!

(And tomorrow (hopefully), I'll provide my after-trip comments about our 50th state. An end-of-the-thread wrap-up, so to speak...)