View Full Version : RE: Need guidance . . . for cachers with kids

firefighterjake
10-21-2009, 08:17 AM
I'm planning out the BFD Open House on Oct. 31st and I have secured a grant to buy a video game system as a free door prize.

My issue . . . what would kids 5-15 years old prefer to win . . .

A Nintendo Wii or a Nintendo DS Lite?

If you have kids, could you ask them which is more appealing?

sarahinmaine
10-21-2009, 08:24 AM
No kiddos at this house, but I will be seeing my 6th grade mentee this afternoon so I will poll her for ya.

TeamHorwich
10-21-2009, 08:44 AM
The Wii is great for groups of kids (and adults) - the DS is more for one person...both are a lot of fun, but if you have the money I recommend the Wii.

squirrelcache
10-21-2009, 09:03 AM
My kids have both....and interactive parents. They've gotten much more from the investment in the DS Lites, both at home and on the road. They also link w/each other or friends to play, either online or in person. It cracks me up to watch them link w/their Mother to play games when the could be using the larger TV screen and a console.

The Wii is good too. Downfall to the Wii is that kids don't always want to play together, and there's often only one TV for watching and gaming. Having said that.....the Wii is very addictive and they even get me to relax and play it on occassion, whereas I don't touch the xbox or PS anymore.

hide_from_the_kids
10-21-2009, 10:58 AM
my wife wanted the wii. but i never got it for her. my youngest daughter saved her own money to buy the new ds and she loves it. it took her all of seven months to save but she did it. we would go in stores and she wouldn't spend her money and when we asked she would respond she is saving it for a ds.now the good part that i like about the ds is that it is portable and comes in handy when she is bored. so in between caches she will play her game and be happy until we get to the next cache.

ltlindian
10-21-2009, 11:43 AM
DS has my vote.

sarahinmaine
10-21-2009, 03:04 PM
13 year old girl (who already has a wii--and likes it) reports that "the DS would be cool because you could take it in the car".

fins2right
10-21-2009, 05:15 PM
I'm a dad, and work in a high school, we have both. (I got the wii for the wiifit program. I don't use it:rolleyes::rolleyes::D) I would recommend the DS. It seems to be really, really popular and would be a draw for the kids.

TRF
10-21-2009, 05:35 PM
I just polled my 2 daughters aged 5 and 8 and they both stated the WII handsdown. They each have a DS and there is a WII in the livingroom. The DS is my choice as it is portable for the vehicle plus they can wirelessly connect to each other and play games.

Either way the lucky winner will be stupendously pleased with either awesome gift. You simply can't lose with either choice.

shuman road searchers
10-21-2009, 06:05 PM
My 14 year old son has both but he prefers a good book

Ekidokai
10-21-2009, 06:13 PM

Keep an eye on that one.

shuman road searchers
10-21-2009, 06:33 PM
He has never really been into the game things. Once in a while we play Wii together but I have always pushed books and sports. Better for your mind and body!

cachecrashers4
10-21-2009, 06:54 PM
We have a Wii and Joey plays it every night there isn't a hockey game on.

squirrelcache
10-21-2009, 07:04 PM
While I'd never consider the Wii for anything serious......competition wise.... the Yoga aspect as a bio-feedback device......is top notch!!! My kids wondered how I did so well so quickly....then I reminded them as to some of my activities and how many years I've been doing them.

So...there are aspects that are Very healthy! Some of the internal Martial Arts are the Only "sports" I'd ever promote to a child as a healthy long term lifestyle choice. They are the only "sport" that's done daily....for a lifetime......w/little concern for repetitive injury.

Also, my optometrist stated that my son's eyes are 20/15 because he plays first person games. The Dr. also stated that he was getting a console for his kid to help w/his eyesight.

fins2right
10-21-2009, 09:13 PM

I wish there were more like that in my school. We gave them laptops this year. Seeing a teen with a good book is almost as likely as seeing some of my missing geocoins. :D:D

firefighterjake
10-22-2009, 07:57 AM
Thanks for the feedback folks . . . I think I'm going to go with the Wii based on the opinions here, Facebook and on another forum . . . it seems to have the slight edge.

Another plus . . . in this day and age . . . giving away a game system that can sort of, kind of promote a little bit of physical activity probably isn't such a bad thing.

Hondohawk
10-22-2009, 09:22 AM
I have children and grandchildren who have both systems and they like them both. However, the Nintendo Wii better for multi-children families...less arguing...lol. So it is my thought to go with the Wii.

kayaking loon
10-23-2009, 02:08 PM

Hooray for your son! Good choice!

dubord207
10-23-2009, 05:16 PM
Hooray for your son! Good choice!

Jim and Kelley have a very nice son. He's articulate, loves caching, not ready for adoption like some 14 year olds and doesn't mind slogging through 3 feet of snow for 2 miles to log a new cache. But.... he did want to take my dog Nick to school for show and tell when he saw Nick knocking over his dad's beer and lapping up the mess. I vetoed that, but he's a great kid for sure!:)