View Full Version : Win A Geocoin for YOUR Collection – Help Out Katadin Goddess!

hollora
10-21-2009, 07:05 PM
Mainiac1957 posted a thread with the link to Help Katadin Goddess. I am hoping - by asking, reaching out and trying to apply some incentive - this will help. Here it goes..........

Katadin Goddess (KG), lost her beloved son Ryan Coyle, on 8/7, to an alcohol and drug overdose. Few mothers would be prepared to bury their son at 27 YO, let alone purchase a head stone. KG is, also, still paying for the services and fees associated with the preparation after death, memorial service, and burial of her son.

KG humbly posted on her Facebook page a link to a website where she has posted her fondest desire. A simple wish – to have others care enough to help her purchase a headstone for Ryan. One special to her and which she can see in the winter as it stands above the snow.

The act of a donation to the web site is now, even better. With KG and GeocachingMaine’s (GCM) permission. Every GCM member (you do not have to be a GCM donating member) who donates to her donation website will be entered to win. If you have already donated, you are automatically entered (if I know you are a member here).

This is a GEOCOIN raffle! Donate to KG, between now and midnight on Thanksgiving Day 11/26 at the following link: http://www.giveforward.org/ryancoyle/ (http://www.giveforward.org/ryancoyle/) , notify me of your donation and you will be entered to win a Geocoin.

A donation of $1 to $5 will give you 1 ticket/entry, donation up to $10 – 2 ticket/entries, up to $15 – 3 entries, up to $20 – 4 entries and so forth in increments of $5 as the donation amount goes up.

Now – the Geocoin prizes. Some have been donated and I will provide some. Watch this thread for more information about the specific coins you might win. It will be posted by next week.

The number of prizes awarded will depend on the level of fund raising attained. One nice geocoin coin will be donated, for up to $500 in donations, 2 coins to $750, 3 coins to $1000, 4 coins to $1250, 5 coins for $1500, 6 coins for $1750, 7 coins for $2000 and the final goal is $2500 or 8 coins - if KG’s goal is reached I will draw off 8 coin winners coming from our GCM members who donate. If the donations go above $2500 – by $500 (nothing in between), I will take the draw to 10 coins.

In order for many folks to have a chance and enjoy a small token of appreciation - once you have won a coin, you are out of the competition. You can not win more than one coin. I hope this will be taken for what it is – giving back to our local community.

If you have any questions – please email me or PM. Otherwise – I have a few folks who have already donated and I need to put your tickets in and send you a confirming email. Thank you to those who have already given……..looking forward to more donations.

EMSDanel
10-22-2009, 09:05 PM
Hi Lady......Count me in for a $10 donation and I'll also donate a coin to give away as part of this raffle. Geocachers helping other geocachers is a very noble cause......

kayaking loon
10-23-2009, 02:05 PM
I just donated some money....

hollora
10-23-2009, 04:48 PM
Thank you everyone. And I received an envelope of coins from KG today as well.

Opalsns
10-24-2009, 09:13 AM
Wow ,
ALOT of coins for a good cause.
Wow, now you should be able to raffle away more than 1 coin for 500.00 etc.....
It'd be nice to offer more coin drawings at each level.
Opalsns

hollora
10-24-2009, 05:17 PM
To all who have donated to the link = http://www.giveforward.org/ryancoyle/ , a sincere Thank you! I have a few emails, and posts here too - so I know who most all the Geocachers may be.

If you don't get a confirmation from me - you will not be in for the drawing - please give me until next week to bring all the donations and confirmation emails up to date. Some have been anonymous so unless you receive email from me you won't be in.

I want this to be a fun way to donate just a dollar and get a chance to win a coin - but - the goal of the give away is for the total donations to reach KG's goal. You may donate more than once, too.

The minimum number of coins (8) to be given away is driven off increasing the total overall donations. This is designed as an incentive, to reach the total goal. So the more dollars donated - the more winners! Not the more coins available the more winners.

I warrantied a minimum number of coins to be won, with or without any (more) donations. As more donations come it, things may be adjusted. The adjustments may or may not be annouced but for now - the goal amounts are as originally posted.

KG sent me; 3 - Darrlly4&Firefly03 personal in "Memory of Pepper" Geocoins (trackable); 1 - AT GAtoME Geocoin (trackable); a 2005 Geocaching ME Geocoin (only trackable on GCM); and a PN and N Cache-A-Maniacs Geocoin (both trackable). So this is a total of 7 coins she has sent. None of the trackables have been activated.

I have promises of at least two other Geocoins from another members of the website. Will await their actual arrival ~ before I annouce what is being offered.

In addition I will pledge the following coins - a Cache Addict's Compass Rose coin in AS; a Dorkfish Green Holdiay Lobster; a Honu PN Sea Turtle; an AS Dawn of the Faeries Geocoin and lastly - and only if we reach goal (the deadline is 11:59 PM on Thanksgiving night) I will give away a Tsunrisebey 2009 Earth Turtle (which has a baby hanging from it - it is the coin shown in the picture).

As a further incentive - the Earthturtle coin - will be open for all previous winners at other levels to win - everyone who has won will be put back in for the final drawing. But remember - for this coin to be drawn off - we must met the final goal for KG's fund raiser. Right now folks we have a long way to go.

Please, if you have any questions - ask. I am requiring anyone who wants to be in on this (i.e. folks from MA or NH, other states - or any folks you may want to invite - the more the merrier) to at least be signed up as members of GCM. I hope this clarifies everything.

Here are the links to the coin photos:
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i188/hollora/153_5639.jpg
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i188/hollora/153_5640.jpg http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i188/hollora/153_5642.jpg http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i188/hollora/153_5641.jpg
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i188/hollora/153_5644.jpg
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i188/hollora/153_5645.jpg
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i188/hollora/153_5647.jpg
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i188/hollora/153_5648.jpg
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i188/hollora/153_5649.jpg

hollora
10-26-2009, 09:33 PM
Have gotten some emails from folks. I know KatadinGoddess appreciates the support. Remember this will run until Thanksgiving night. No amount is to small as it all adds up. Will post more info along the way. Remember the link is - http://www.giveforward.org/ryancoyle/ Thanks again everyone!

Katadin Goddess
10-27-2009, 12:48 PM
this is so wonderful. havent been on the site in awhile and wanted to stop over to say how much i really appreciate what everyone is doing in their own way of support whether is emotional, $1.00 to this raffle, saying a prayer, or sending positive healing energy. thank you again, elaine

its ironic that i have been in recovery almost 21 years, work as an alcohol drug counselor/clinical supervisor and had the sudden unexpected experience of losing Ryan to his own addiction. what i miss the most is going out in the jeep with him and his making fun of my dirty tupperware hunting. who else would go jeepin on trails with their mom? He was with me when i placed that Milwaukee brewers cache on flagstaff lake some 2 years ago. we did make a trip up once to Kennebago caches last summer.

hollora
10-31-2009, 10:30 AM
EMSDanel just stopped by and has added a new Seattle Ink coin to the pot for the give away. Thanks EMSDanel!

I will get a photo and post it a bit later.

EMSDanel
10-31-2009, 07:22 PM
Also, I just donated some money....

kayaking loon
11-01-2009, 08:14 AM
I just gave a bit more.... Bit by bit we'll get there. Don't forget, you can donate more than once! :)

hollora
11-01-2009, 09:10 AM
I just gave a bit more.... Bit by bit we'll get there. Don't forget, you can donate more than once! :)

Thank you KL!

hollora
11-14-2009, 09:38 PM
Pushing out the date of closing this Geocoin Draw! - A number of people have suggested I continue this and draw all the geocoins off when the giving date ends on the web site. That date is April 12th, 2010! I am listening - with the goal that this can only help Katadin Goddess in reaching her goal to purchase the headstone.
Right now the fund is at 20% of goal.

This should give everyone plenty of time to budget and do a donation. The drawing for the coins to be given away will be done on 4/13/2010. Kayakingloon suggested someone could give more than once (she did) and indeed you will get additional entries in the drawing when an additional donation is made.

Some of the coins in the draw have been photographed and I know more are coming in. Will try to post them as they are added. I will readjust the numbers drawn and at what level as we move along. My first post of the numbers of coins is the minimum.

If anyone has any question - feel free to contact me. Also, if you do not wish to be in the drawing, I will respect your request and thank you for your support of KatadinGoddess.

hollora
11-25-2009, 01:17 PM
Just a reminder - the drawing for the Geocoins has been extended and will be done on 4/13/2010, rather than Thanksgiving night which was the first date announced. I have just received a box of coins from a West Coast Geocacher. Will add photos soon of these additional coins to be given away.

Thank you to everyone who has already donated to KatadinGoddess. After a loss, such as hers ~ or for anyone, the holidays are always the hardest. Please remember this for all your friends and family ~ give them an extra hug tomorrow.

hollora
11-26-2009, 06:33 PM
Happy Thanksgiving all! This promotion has been enbraced by a cacher from the other side of our country. He is a prolific designer of Geocoins, as well as a person who believes in this project. Avroair, whose latest creation, a "coin" in the shape of an arrow quiver with arrows, will debut tonight on the Hogwildstuff website. He has sent an envelope of 8 coins for the give away. 5 trackables and 3 non-trackables.

They are - Trackables - Forest Cache Frog (from AEToys which is now out of business - coin has activation code), Birds of a Feather, Caching Coins - The Nickells, Klingon Clocking Geocoin and a 4 Muskateers Micro. Non-trackables - Dark Knight, Geocoin Fairy and The Wishing Coin

Here is a photo if you would like to see them (http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i188/hollora/donations.jpg)! All trackables are unactivated.

If anyone has any questions, please PM or EM me. Thank you.

Sudonim
11-29-2009, 11:50 PM
I like the double buffalo coin, very cool. Any of these would be quite a nice prize.

hollora
01-04-2010, 08:50 PM
The holidays are over and we move forward. This fund raiser continues until April and the stash of coins is waiting to be given out. Every donation of $5 receives an entry into the draw.

We have many coins which have been donated and some by cachers who are not even from or have ever been in Maine. They just believe in helping out the greater caching community. My next bump on this thread will be a new list of the coins in the draw. If before donating, you would like a list of the coins - please PM me.

A quick recap. KG's son, Ryan passed away last year and she is hoping to raise funds to purchase a headstone for his grave. She is still owning for his final expenses so the head stone is something special - a memorial and something tangible for his children and his Mom.

She found this website online to raise the funds. Click here for the link. (http://www.giveforward.org/ryancoyle/) It was hoped this geocoin draw would add a little extra incentive to encourage folks to donate. Everyone to their own ability within their budget.

Right now the fund is at 20% of the goal. Now we have recovered from the holidays, I am hoping we might do a bit better. As kayakingloon said earlier in this thread, you can give more than once.

Thank you to everyone who has already contributed and to the donors of coins for the draw.

hollora
01-07-2010, 12:49 AM
Am considering expanding our potential donors and opening this up to the National Forums (if allowed by the Mods). Does anyone who has donated here strongly object? If you do - please send me an email or a PM before Monday.

The purpose is to raise the money for KG to get the stone for Ryan. If we don't get moving along, goal will not be reached. I believe by opening this up to more cachers we may help her reach her goal.

Thank you to all who have helped in any way.

Ekidokai
01-07-2010, 01:01 AM
Sounds OK to me.

Haffy
01-07-2010, 09:56 AM
Just be sure it adheres the the sites TOU beforehand. It's different using this site where are all close and familylike but opening it up to the national forums might be a little different. Just a thought. I have no problem with it either.

hollora
01-07-2010, 01:31 PM
Just be sure it adheres the the sites TOU beforehand. It's different using this site where are all close and familylike but opening it up to the national forums might be a little different. Just a thought. I have no problem with it either.

Have already sent the information to the mods to ensure it meets the guidelines for the site (as I did here to get permission). IMHO if folks can post about needing Christmas presents for their kids and money to fix their car - with links to auctions sites and the like - there shouldn't be anything wrong with this. Guess time will tell.

Haffy
01-07-2010, 04:53 PM
Have already sent the information to the mods to ensure it meets the guidelines for the site (as I did here to get permission). IMHO if folks can post about needing Christmas presents for their kids and money to fix their car - with links to auctions sites and the like - there shouldn't be anything wrong with this. Guess time will tell.

I agree wholeheartedly, hope it is able to go through. Good Luck!!!

Sudonim
01-11-2010, 11:59 AM
I have no problem with it either, good fundraising cause.

hollora
01-11-2010, 03:08 PM
I am still waiting for a ruling from Groundspeak on posting this to their Geocoin Forums.

Haffy
01-12-2010, 03:02 PM
Go ahead and post it,the worse they can do is delete it right?

hollora
01-13-2010, 10:43 AM
Going to email Eartha again today.

hollora
01-15-2010, 09:04 PM
The answer is in - this is considered a "raffle" and GC.com will not allowed a posting for a "raffle" on their forums. I would be allowed to post a link to auctions of coins for sale on Ebay.

The options to be in on the drawing for the coins, which have been donated as an incentive to give to Elaine's fund, still holds for any members of this website. I thank the board here for allowing the posting.

The best we can do is invite folks to join our site, donate to Elaine's fund raising link and as a member here - they will be entered. Over the weekend I will go back and recap this all and post a summary here so folks don't have to go back to the very beginning.

Thank you to everyone for their donations and support.

brdad
01-15-2010, 09:19 PM
As good a cause as it is, I am not sure it's a good idea to encourage people to join this site if their only goal is to be entered in the drawing, especially with all new members needing validation now. Sure, some will post or otherwise contribute, but most will not (New active members are great even if they are just readers).

I wonder if there is another way they could be notified of the drawing and entered without having to join the site unless they want to for more reasons. Anyone have any ideas?

Of course, maybe this is spurred from looking at the member list and seeing how many never revisit the site after they join...

hollora
01-16-2010, 12:08 AM
As good a cause as it is, I am not sure it's a good idea to encourage people to join this site if their only goal is to be entered in the drawing, especially with all new members needing validation now. Sure, some will post or otherwise contribute, but most will not (New active members are great even if they are just readers).

I wonder if there is another way they could be notified of the drawing and entered without having to join the site unless they want to for more reasons. Anyone have any ideas?

Of course, maybe this is spurred from looking at the member list and seeing how many never revisit the site after they join...

BRDad - rest assured, I will not post anywhere "to encourage people to join this site". And - I surely did not know "new members needing validation now" but may I say - about time!

I extended the drawing long beyond my orignal post - which was a short term promotion. This was done at the encouragement of a GCM member.

With some of the links, connections, prize solicitation and other devises on the GM.com web site, I was a bit surprised the request was denied. It is, what it is and I accept their decision. Their website - their forums - their rules - just glad I asked first.

So - over the next week or so - I will be consulting with some Non-GCM members who made donations. I am going to be thinking about if there is merit to continue this - or perhaps it would be best to just end it all. There has not been a donation made to my knowledge by a member here in the last 2 weeks.

On the plus side, a lot of geocoins were donated.......(and if I end it - it appears many donors will receive at least one or perhaps more). On the down side - the goal of the fund raising has not reached 50%.

Hard economic times and disasters, such as Haiti, which are also - so worthy, do not help this effort. I am thinking it is perhaps reasonable to just end this on an earlier date and put it to bed.

Will be in touch with the donors and Elaine before making a final decision. Thank you for your thoughts and input.

brdad
01-16-2010, 07:46 AM
You've done a good thing, meeting your goal or not! and I'll agree with the gc.com issue, sometimes it's hard to determine what is allowable and what is not. That's one of the benefits about having a local website like we do.

dubord207
01-16-2010, 07:55 AM

I respectfully suggest that a person who joins this site to contribute to this sort of effort is more likely to be a member who contributes as a donating member or perhaps as an active involved member. Discouraging a person from joining who wants to donate to help a fellow cacher seems inconsistent the goals of the folks that set up this site in the first place.

brdad
01-16-2010, 08:07 AM
I respectfully suggest that a person who joins this site to contribute to this sort of effort is more likely to be a member who contributes as a donating member or perhaps as an active involved member. Discouraging a person from joining who wants to donate to help a fellow cacher seems inconsistent the goals of the folks that set up this site in the first place.

I hear you. I was just looking for a better approach - I like "Please donate to this good cause created by a geocachingmaine member, and feel free to join our community if you'd like" other than "Please donate to this good cause, you must join our web site to be entered". I have joined many websites with bogus names and email addresses just to access whatever info I needed, knowing I'd probably never be back.

I was hoping someone might have a good idea to promote the cause and perhaps strike a spark in the donations. The ending date is not until April, I'd love to see Lois find some ways to bring some more in. If gc.com won't let her, what else? That's the answer we need.

hollora
01-16-2010, 09:33 AM
I hear you. I was just looking for a better approach - I like "Please donate to this good cause created by a geocachingmaine member, and feel free to join our community if you'd like" other than "Please donate to this good cause, you must join our web site to be entered". I have joined many websites with bogus names and email addresses just to access whatever info I needed, knowing I'd probably never be back.

I was hoping someone might have a good idea to promote the cause and perhaps strike a spark in the donations. The ending date is not until April, I'd love to see Lois find some ways to bring some more in. If gc.com won't let her, what else? That's the answer we need.

:) Thank you BRDad :) If anyone has any ideas, I am more than willing to work with them to help reach the goal.

hollora
03-31-2010, 06:58 PM
Time to revive this thread as the deadline rapidly approaches.

Just a reminder, this thread is about a Geocoin raffle started to encourage folks to help our friend and fellow cacher KatadinGoddess in her quest to raise funds to place a head stone on her beloved son's grave.

In appreciation for your donation, for every $5 donated you get one entry into a drawing for some geocoins which were generously donated by several folks (KG herself, Avroair, chief20r2, EMSDanel and others).

KG had a goal of receiving $2,500 in donations by April 12th and the fund raising is only at 20% ($519). I believe we can do much better if we push here towards the end.

Won't you please consider making a donation today? You may do so through a secure - on line donation site. Please go to http://www.giveforward.org/ryancoyle/ (http://www.giveforward.org/ryancoyle/) , make your donation and then notify me of your donation and you will be entered to win a Geocoin. (All folks who have previously given are still entered. - Make another donation for more chances to win.)

A donation of $1 to $5 will give you 1 ticket/entry, donation up to $10 – 2 ticket/entries, up to $15 – 3 entries, up to $20 – 4 entries and so forth in increments of $5 as the donation amount goes up.

The number of prizes awarded will depend on the level of fund raising attained. One nice geocoin coin will be donated, for up to $500 in donations, 2 coins to $750, 3 coins to $1000, 4 coins to $1250, 5 coins for $1500, 6 coins for $1750, 7 coins for $2000 and the final goal is $2500 or 8 coins - if KG’s goal is reached I will draw off 8 coin winners coming from our GCM members who donate. If the donations go above $2500 – by $500 (nothing in between), I will take the draw to 10 coins.

NOTE - the above was based on my personal donations and we now have others. All the Geocoins donated by others will be awarded and mine will be added according to the above scale.)

In order for many folks to have a chance and enjoy a small token of appreciation - once you have won a coin, you are out of the competition. You can not win more than one coin - unless - we have more donated coins than donors to the fund. I hope this will be taken for what it is – giving back to our local community. As it stands right now - we will have more coins than folks who have donated to the fund - lacking more donations all coins donated will be awared so some folks may be reentered to win. I am hopeful the final push of donations will change this position.

Although Geocaching dot com would not allow posting of the raffle, I am hoping members here will share this with their benevolent friends who enjoy geocoins and pass the word. If a cacher makes a donation, they will be included in the raffle. I have decided to open this to any cacher and am willing to ship winning coins overseas.

The rules for non-Geocaching Maine entries are simple. Make a donation to the above website link, have a geoacaching.com handle, email me about the donation (with caching name and amount) and be willing to give me your address.

I will close the raffle 4/12 and all winners will be notified on Sunday 4/18.

If you have any questions – please email me or PM. Thank you to all who have already donated, thank you to donors of coins, thank you to those who encouraged me to keep this open longer than Thanksgiving and continue on - and Bless Katadin Goddess - may we help her put a headstone on Ryan's grave.

hollora
04-09-2010, 09:00 PM
Well, over the past few weeks we have increased donations by 1% (thank you - Maine family). To those of you who are not aware of what this thread is all about - please go back and read the last post. It sort of reviews what it is all about. You can already email me too.

As - the link for the donations ends on Monday 4/12 - I have decided to end the cointest on Sunday at 5PM. All donations must be made by then and I will come home from caching and recheck the donation web site (donate here (http://www.giveforward.org/ryancoyle/)) for new or additional entries - I will post here a closing.

I will pull a draw for all coins donated. So - as it looks right now - some folks may get the luck of the draw with more than one win. Some folks have posted a not in for the draw wish. You will not be entered at all.

Thank you to everyone who was able and willing to assist KG in achieving her dream. Thank you too - to those who said a special word for KG but were not personally able to help with this fund raising effort (your special thoughts are appreciated too! - And we know there are some of you out there.).

Please give me until mid-week to post the winners and I will individually contact you all by email or PM. Thank you again - one and all!

hollora
04-23-2010, 03:24 PM
A bit behind posting them but the Winners Are:

Trackables - IMPAW, MzGiraffe, Kayakingloon, EMSDanel, Gob-ler, Ekidokai, Lexmano, Ltindian, Haffy, ShumanRoadSearchers, Laughing Terry, & Team Richards

Non-trackables - Maine Family, TRF, PJPreb & pm28570

Everyone has been notified by EM or PM. I am hoping to get everyone's coin in the mail to them before the end of next week.

Thank you all for your donations. I know KG appreciated the help.

Ekidokai
04-23-2010, 10:48 PM
The coin I won and another that I am going to donate is going to be raffled off at the events. Proceeds to go to KG for help with the funding.

Katadin Goddess
04-29-2010, 04:54 PM
i really really want to thank everyone for the help and support that has been provided. I just hope no one ever has to go through this! thank you again. ~ elaine

Gob-ler
04-29-2010, 06:14 PM
I received the Farewell Pepper Geocoin in the mail today.

Thanks so much!

Haffy
04-30-2010, 10:44 AM
And I received my Cache Mainiacs coin in the mail as well. Thanks so much

pjpreb
05-02-2010, 10:09 PM
Got our coin last week too. Thinking about you KG.

TRF
05-08-2010, 08:03 AM
A bit behind posting them but the Winners Are:

Trackables - IMPAW, MzGiraffe, Kayakingloon, EMSDanel, Gob-ler, Ekidokai, Lexmano, Ltindian, Haffy, ShumanRoadSearchers, Laughing Terry, & Team Richards

Non-trackables - Maine Family, TRF, PJPreb & pm28570

Everyone has been notified by EM or PM. I am hoping to get everyone's coin in the mail to them before the end of next week.

Thank you all for your donations. I know KG appreciated the help.

Dang, I won a coin and this is the first I knew of it. I should have logged in sooner I guess. (I did not get a pm and my email may have "spammed" it) If the coin I won is still available I am requesting (truly hoping) that it be sent to Katahdin Goddess. I'll even pay for the postage.

Cache On!!

hollora
05-08-2010, 06:26 PM
Dang, I won a coin and this is the first I knew of it. I should have logged in sooner I guess. (I did not get a pm and my email may have "spammed" it) If the coin I won is still available I am requesting (truly hoping) that it be sent to Katahdin Goddess. I'll even pay for the postage.

Cache On!!

The coin is still waiting for your reply :) (I did send an email and yes, it might have gone into spam - it's ok). It is a special coin, so I would be happy to get it to Elaine (KG). No need to pay the postage either. ;) This is one which she might even like to attach to Ryan's stone with some Super Glue - it will be up to her. :D Thank you TRF! :)

And a huge thank you to everyone! I know this meant a lot to Elaine and helped her a great deal.

Cachon on and cache happy Everyone! :D