View Full Version : Great place to lose a blackberry!

fins2right
10-26-2009, 07:01 PM
If anyone gets a chance to cache the new series in West Bowdoin put out by MARTES I really recommend it. I chased Dubord207 all day, found 11 caches, hiked along fields and a pretty stream and my son had a blast finding all the Halloween theme cache containers. The series is on the Wagg Rd in Bowdoin and there is a nice parking spot. I spent a priceless day with my 10 year old (who has his new GC identity) and it was one of the better caching days I've had (29 finds out of 31):D:):D

Oh, and if anyone finds a red Blackberry curve in a nice leather case..... Feel free to throw the $*&%^ thing as far as you can. The phone slipped off and I didn't notice until the end of the day. So we re-hiked the whole trail with no findings. My poor kid was a little tired at the end. So today I ordered the replacement for $50.00. Shows what happens when I stare at my GPS and forget everything else......:mad::mad::o:rolleyes:

dubord207
10-26-2009, 08:00 PM
I tripped on something strange on the way out after doing the last cache, but it wasn't a Blackberry. I had mine in a pocket with a zipper on it, something I've learned after having phones end up in streams and other parts unknown. I think it was something a dog left, maybe something the dog had eaten first! But it is a great series and I'm glad you paid the insurance so it was only a $50 mistake. It might show up but I'd say the chances are 50/50 it landed in water!:(

shuman road searchers
10-26-2009, 08:12 PM
I did a cache in Sherman and my sons friend lost his phone there. Two days later I received an email from another cacher who found the phone. He mailed it to me and I took it to my sons friend and the phone still worked!! I have also had a phone fall off my belt and end up in the water at one of Mapachi's caches. The phone no longer worked and I did not have the insurance. Still do not but I have a better belt clip.... I hope!

hollora
10-26-2009, 08:18 PM
Just before Ralph was diagnosed with Cancer and went in for his surgery, I got a, then, very new Razor phone. Went caching one noon time, when he was in the hospital, as a stress reliever. Got back to the car and was putting everything back in the car........the Razor phone got placed on top of the car......and I headed to get take out for lunch and back to the hospital. At Kentucky Fried Chicken I realized and retraced my less than 1 mile trek - gone - gone forever, with the best photo of my hubby and old dog on it. It was never found by me or ever turned in - but I was close to the high school. Replaced it - and just said - oh well!

Now - Team2Hunt's PD was found - so don't give up. Glad you had a good time with your son.

Cache on - cache happy!

dubord207
10-27-2009, 05:01 AM
Put me down for one lost Colorado at one of mapachi's caches!

shuman road searchers
10-27-2009, 05:24 AM
Lost things at his caches and injured people who cache with him. Got to wonder.LOL!!

cano
10-27-2009, 07:56 AM
I'm running a little program on my GPS phone. It's watching my SMS inbox and when a new message arrives with specific word it will reply back with GPS coordinates, if no GPS fix can be obtained it will return GPS coords based on WiFi networks in range or GSM triangulation. It makes search for lost phone much easier :)

pm28570
10-27-2009, 08:32 AM
Tracy, what a great post with your son. I recently did a cache at a bridge where I sat down to ponder where the cache was and was looking at all the different little places the cache could be. My eyes drifted to the right to see my Blackberry and holster sitting in water with only the corner poking out. Well, grabbed it, took the battery out and headed home (after logging the cache :)). Placed the device in a bag of uncooked rice for several hours which drew out the moisture, put in the battery and wonders of all wonders, after a hard boot up, it worked. I think it was all luck......very very lucky.

If anyone gets a chance to cache the new series in West Bowdoin put out by MARTES I really recommend it. I chased Dubord207 all day, found 11 caches, hiked along fields and a pretty stream and my son had a blast finding all the Halloween theme cache containers. The series is on the Wagg Rd in Bowdoin and there is a nice parking spot. I spent a priceless day with my 10 year old (who has his new GC identity) and it was one of the better caching days I've had (29 finds out of 31):D:):D

Oh, and if anyone finds a red Blackberry curve in a nice leather case..... Feel free to throw the $*&%^ thing as far as you can. The phone slipped off and I didn't notice until the end of the day. So we re-hiked the whole trail with no findings. My poor kid was a little tired at the end. So today I ordered the replacement for $50.00. Shows what happens when I stare at my GPS and forget everything else......:mad::mad::o:rolleyes:

squirrelcache
10-27-2009, 01:30 PM
Oh the stories about our electronics woes while trailside. My smartphone got a new case direct from China just as soon as I pulled it out of the box. The salespeople loved it and wanted to know where I'd gotten it. Protection is the best investment!! My phone has bounced off tar several times while biking.....and spent a cold wet evening in the snow. I've had great success w/rice, and also a hair dryer that travels w/me. It also comes in handy for wet logs that can't be signed ;)

Keep em' close and keep em' dry!!

Gob-ler
10-27-2009, 01:40 PM
Something is lost in the woods? Sounds like a job for a Geocacher. Someone has to find the thing!

Waterski
10-27-2009, 01:53 PM
Hmmmm- Just how does that hairdryer work in the woods drying out log pages? Is it battery operated?:D

attroll
10-27-2009, 01:56 PM
Maybe you should have rewalked it with another phone calling your phone every once and a while.

Haffy
10-27-2009, 02:07 PM
Hmmmm- Just how does that hairdryer work in the woods drying out log pages? Is it battery operated?:D

I was wondering the same thing....:confused:

squirrelcache
10-27-2009, 02:16 PM
lol......it does if you're borrowing battery power from Dubord's night caching setup. ;) It plugs into the cig. lighter accessory port....12vdc. Until this year I'd not encountered many wet micro/nanos in the woods. Used it mostly for those quick GRC runs of Winter/Spring. It's also helpful in defrosting the diesel truck's windshield too.....takes that thing a bit to get up to temp. in Winter.

fins2right
10-27-2009, 02:34 PM
Maybe you should have rewalked it with another phone calling your phone every once and a while.

On a typical geo-day I would have had my wife with me and we could have called. She stayed home to correct homework and I was on the trail without access to a different phone. It was starting to get dark by the time I figured it out so driving 30 miles home, grabbing a phone and driving 30 miles back wasn't an option. sigh.:(

What has me worried more is how addicted to the "Crackberry" I've become in the last few months. I felt naked without it and walked around for a while wondering why I wasn't getting a ping when new caches are published. Should that be a source of concern? :D

NativeMainer
10-27-2009, 04:02 PM
I've never lost anything electronic out in the woods. I'm pretty sure I've lost my marbles once or twice, though. :p

dubord207
10-27-2009, 06:54 PM
The water treatment plant in East Vassalboro has device that is airtight and sucks moisture out of anything in it. It's some type of dehydration device that works when the worked drop radios, phones and other things in the water. All labs and certainly any place that treats water will have one. I dropped on older cell phone in China Lake and brought it to them in less then 24 hours it was working again!

Maybe the geocaching community needs to invest in one of these.

Waterski
10-27-2009, 07:44 PM
Or maybe the caching community needs business cards made up with the treatment plant phone number on it, that we can drop into caches, and pass out at caching events. Sounds like we could boost their business a bit. I put my phone through the washing machine once. It did not like it much. :rolleyes:

hollora
10-27-2009, 08:08 PM
A dunk in the Penobscot for a phone and a pager = take out the batteries and let it dry. Reinsert the batteries and we were good to go. Lucky I think!

cano
10-27-2009, 08:48 PM
I washed my bluetooth ear piece in washing machine, it works fine :)

masterson of the universe
10-27-2009, 09:01 PM
If your are unfortunate enough to have a phone get saturated, immediately take out the battery and any memory cards and place it in a tupperware container with with rice. If you leave it sealed for 48 hours or so, it will draw all the moisture out of the device and may save it from being ruined.

hollora
10-27-2009, 09:13 PM
If your are unfortunate enough to have a phone get saturated, immediately take out the battery and any memory cards and place it in a tupperware container with with rice. If you leave it sealed for 48 hours or so, it will draw all the moisture out of the device and may save it from being ruined.

Great tip - thank you!

We didn't have rice on the sail boat (although that is a good staple to put on board) but we took out the battery, left the covers off and let it dry - I think we left them in front of an open window of the cabin for the breeze.

attroll
10-28-2009, 12:35 PM
On a typical geo-day I would have had my wife with me and we could have called. She stayed home to correct homework and I was on the trail without access to a different phone. It was starting to get dark by the time I figured it out so driving 30 miles home, grabbing a phone and driving 30 miles back wasn't an option. sigh.:(

What has me worried more is how addicted to the "Crackberry" I've become in the last few months. I felt naked without it and walked around for a while wondering why I wasn't getting a ping when new caches are published. Should that be a source of concern? :D
You may want to contact RIM and make sure they turn your blackberry into a brink so that no one can ever use it again. That is one of the good thinks about blackberry. They can send a signal to you blackberry to disable it permanently.

vicbiker
10-28-2009, 06:52 PM
If your are unfortunate enough to have a phone get saturated, immediately take out the battery and any memory cards and place it in a tupperware container with with rice. If you leave it sealed for 48 hours or so, it will draw all the moisture out of the device and may save it from being ruined.Lacy dunked her phone last weekend when she tip her kayak over in the Piscataquis River...she put it in a ziploc bag with rice and it now works find.

Ekidokai
10-29-2009, 02:01 PM
If you can't get silica rice is great. Just keep it in there a while. Also keep an idea on the battery compartment.

TRF
10-30-2009, 09:11 AM
OK, so I washed my dog the other night then rolled her in rice but it didn't dry her out any too fast. Instead, she looked like a pre-history sushi roll shedding oversized lice all over the place. That and it took several boxes of minute rice to cover her all over. Thanks for the rotten advice!

This morning I noticed the neighbors yard is covered with poops with white confetti.

pm28570
10-30-2009, 10:46 AM
The problem, you see, is that you didn't follow the directions correctly. It goes IN THE BAG WITH THE RICE, not rolling. :)

BTW, some places I've been, that is an entree......

OK, so I washed my dog the other night then rolled her in rice but it didn't dry her out any too fast. Instead, she looked like a pre-history sushi roll shedding oversized lice all over the place. That and it took several boxes of minute rice to cover her all over. Thanks for the rotten advice!

This morning I noticed the neighbors yard is covered with poops with white confetti.

shuman road searchers
10-30-2009, 03:44 PM
come on TRF! You need to put the dog IN THE BAG!

squirrelcache
10-30-2009, 06:49 PM
I love doggie bags filled w/Rice ;)

hollora
10-30-2009, 07:46 PM
Don't forget the straws for the dogs nostrils so they can breathe while being encapsulated............ooohhh eee!

As for the entree comment - Amen..........yeah, some of that food in other countries makes you wonder.............

Waterski
10-30-2009, 10:07 PM
Did you put the battery in the rice as well? ( not the dogs battery)

pm28570
10-30-2009, 10:11 PM
No, I didn't. The dunking also appears to have affected the capacity of the battery as well.....in terms of minutes of use vs one charge.

Did you put the battery in the rice as well? ( not the dogs battery)

brdad
10-31-2009, 07:03 AM
Will the items dry out quicker if you use Minute Rice? ;)

squirrelcache
10-31-2009, 03:55 PM
I've encountered wet phones more than once, and rice works well if you consider regional manufacturing factors. For LG use Pearl or Sushi Rice(Korea), Nokia use Jasmine(Thailand), Motorola use Basmati(India).

hollora
10-31-2009, 05:19 PM
I've encountered wet phones more than once, and rice works well if you consider regional manufacturing factors. For LG use Pearl or Sushi Rice(Korea), Nokia use Jasmine(Thailand), Motorola use Basmati(India).

Now that made me ROTFLMAO ;) Too Funny!

WhereRWe?
10-31-2009, 05:38 PM
Will the items dry out quicker if you use Minute Rice? ;)

I thought this one was cute! LOL!

hollora
10-31-2009, 06:03 PM

I thought this one was cute! LOL!

You are right - this was cute. And should one use a stop watch?:eek::rolleyes::eek:

hide_from_the_kids
11-02-2009, 12:35 AM
AT WHAT AGE SHOULD YOU START WEARING DEPENDS?:D AFTER READING THE LAST TWO PAGES I THINK I GOT TO GO CHECK MYSELF!:eek:

Waterski
11-02-2009, 09:19 AM
It depends.

Ekidokai
11-02-2009, 10:57 AM
Ah, the plot deepens.

squirrelcache
11-02-2009, 12:27 PM
Oh.......Oooh....gotta run!