View Full Version : Bangor in the news!!

Haffy
10-28-2009, 02:42 PM
http://onlinegeocacher.com/issue/real_time/article/bangor-maine-an-unusual-area-for-a-numbers-run2
Be sure to check out their photo albums as well

squirrelcache
10-28-2009, 02:54 PM
Huh!? Did you know Maine has tortoises!? lol Great article and coverage for the SMR caching.

Hiram357
10-28-2009, 02:56 PM
heh, my first thought when I saw the title of this thread was "I DIDN'T DO IT!!" :rolleyes::D:D

nice article though.

lexmano
10-28-2009, 03:48 PM
I subscribed and can't wait to have enough time to browse the rest of that issue and the back issues.:)

ltlindian
10-28-2009, 03:53 PM
Really nice article and kudos to ekidokai (did I spell that right?) for putting together a really cool destination for cachers!

dubord207
10-28-2009, 05:26 PM
That was a terrific article and the type of publicity that will get others into the game. Mike, if you feel "proud", you're entitled! Regardless of what fellow cachers feel about this series, there's no denying the goodwill that comes from a news article like this!:)

brdad
10-28-2009, 05:31 PM
Nice article despite my dislike for Maine to be promoted as an area for numbers.

I'm guessing the tortoise they saw was the ever rare Maine snapping tortoise!

dubord207
10-28-2009, 05:41 PM
Most people reading that article probably have a very limited knowledge of what "caching" is and I think the fact that the term "numbers run" was used, most non-cachers will likely think " Hey, backcountry, critters here and there, using a GPS other to find Walmart, sounds like fun!' Those of us that play know what it means and of course there's opinions pro and con about a series like this, but the bottom line is that the article has great potential to get others to play. I think the Battleship cache is as unique as any I've seen and if the Bangor press wants to describe how complex a cache can be, then that would be more good publicity that has the potential to bring in new players.

brdad
10-28-2009, 05:56 PM
If you read back through the article, it does, in a minimal sense, explain what a numbers run is. I had to read through it again to make sure it did myself. And the article is geared toward cachers, it is not like it was in the local newspaper. So in reality I would guess it will not attract new cachers so much as attract cachers who might not otherwise visit Maine for the purpose of caching. And that is not necessarily a bad thing, I just hope anyone doing so likes it enough to come back and enjoy more of what Maine has to offer. And I can see where the SMR may do that for many people, it is a nice area.

dubord207
10-28-2009, 06:19 PM
I try to put a positive spin on most things, some do not. I think the article, the series was great for caching!!!!!! This would be a great chat topic, "What benefit did the article have to geocaching in Maine?" Wish I could do chat tonite, but we have company and I have a full slate tomorrow starting with an early board meeting so I"m out. :)

brdad
10-28-2009, 06:49 PM
It is a nice article with nice pics and sheds doing numbers in Maine in a good light! :p

masterson of the universe
10-29-2009, 09:21 AM
I seemed to have timed our two trips poorly as we haven't seen anything but a little snake on the trail to Between a Rock and a Hard Place. Everyone logs having seen moose and turkeys and whatnot. Got at least one more trip up there to get some of the other surrounding area caches so hopfully I'll get to view something.

brdad
10-29-2009, 10:09 AM
I seemed to have timed our two trips poorly as we haven't seen anything but a little snake on the trail to Between a Rock and a Hard Place. Everyone logs having seen moose and turkeys and whatnot. Got at least one more trip up there to get some of the other surrounding area caches so hopfully I'll get to view something.

It's funny how that works. I went on a trip to Greenville once and never saw one moose. The next day we went caching in the Lewiston area and there was a moose in small neighborhood right in Auburn.

I have also spent a lot of time on the SMR via ATV when they were allowed as well as cars and trucks since I got my drivers license. Back then there was just the road, no buffer on the sides or cleared land where the pipeline was run. There were a LOT more logging trucks then, too. Wildlife always seemed to go in spells, you would not see much for a month and then one day you'd see a bunch. Usually you do have much better luck nearer dawn or dusk.

Probably the best sightings I have ever experienced is one day in June of 2007 while Lee and I were up on the Golden Road getting some grids for the Delorme Challenge We saw bear, deer, fox, all kinds of birds and stopped counting at about 40 swamp donkey sightings. There were 8 in a gravel pit we stopped by near Millinocket on our way out. Have not been remotely that lucky on any visit anywhere since!

Ekidokai
10-29-2009, 12:59 PM
If you keep watch I did do an interview with the Bangor Daily about Geocaching while we were doing a ghost story. I think it is one of those things that might be a back burner project.

Just saw a new trail system in Machias. On channel five. The Sunrise East West or something like that. Looks good for ATV and snowmobile. Saw a geocaching logo somewhere in there it was real quick.

Haffy your pretty good at finding these things. How do you do it?

squirrelcache
10-29-2009, 01:40 PM
Ahhhh........we got you figured out Ekidokai. The Downeast Sunrise Trail will eventually go from Brewer to Calais. ;) I bet we'll see a rash of film canister placements again.

Haffy
10-29-2009, 01:44 PM
Haffy your pretty good at finding these things. How do you do it?

Just lucky I guess,and being at the right place.

Ekidokai
10-29-2009, 01:47 PM
Ahhhh........we got you figured out Ekidokai. The Downeast Sunrise Trail will eventually go from Brewer to Calais. ;) I bet we'll see a rash of film canister placements again.

The only ones that are coming out after things thing is done are 5 gallon buckets.

squirrelcache
10-29-2009, 02:18 PM
You can try to fool some of us......I know your micro training has been preparing you to venture out w/nanos. ;) lol

Ekidokai
10-29-2009, 03:48 PM
You can try to fool some of us......I know your micro training has been preparing you to venture out w/nanos. ;) lol

Hate Nanos!

hollora
10-29-2009, 07:57 PM
The only ones that are coming out after things thing is done are 5 gallon buckets.

Bet I know where you can get a suppy of those. They are great and they smell like pickles. I love pickles.

Hiram357
10-29-2009, 09:24 PM
Bet I know where you can get a suppy of those. They are great and they smell like pickles. I love pickles.

you can buy em from the coffee pot! :D:D:D

hollora
10-29-2009, 09:43 PM
you can buy em from the coffee pot! :D:D:D

Free with our GCM BK connection - "hide-from-the-kids" is the best!:);):) Free is always betta!:D:D:D

Hiram357
10-30-2009, 06:49 AM
Free with our GCM BK connection - "hide-from-the-kids" is the best!:);):) Free is always betta!:D:D:D

sheesh, go with the corporate pickle bucket giant, don't support the little guy or anything... :p:p:rolleyes:

hollora
10-30-2009, 09:13 AM
sheesh, go with the corporate pickle bucket giant, don't support the little guy or anything... :p:p:rolleyes:

Hee - hee, I do support the little guy - I grew up on those sandwiches!;) They are the best and I remember when the owner was twice his current size! He hasn't always been little. LOL:p

Just trying to keep the plastic out of the waste stream.......:)

hide_from_the_kids
10-31-2009, 06:03 PM
i can save as many buckets as you want

hollora
10-31-2009, 06:05 PM
i can save as many buckets as you want

You are the best! Although I love the CP sandwiches :):D:) - why buy :confused:, when you can help BK recycle? :):):)

That just has to be a win, win situation!;)