View Full Version : Deer Hunting Starts Tomorrow!

dubord207
10-30-2009, 05:52 PM
Maine's deer season gets underway tomorrow, October 31st. If you're going into any wooded area, assume there are hunters present and wear at least one article of hunter orange. A hat and a vest is even better.

And hunters have as much right as geocachers to be in the woods so avoid confrontations and given them their space. I hunt but I'm also aware that there's a small percentage of deer hunters that are inconsiderate goobers that think getting a buck is more important then life itself. Avoiding any type of contact with those "hunters" is a good idea!

Be safe, have fun, it will be done the second Saturday in December, the official end of muzzleloading.:)

WhereRWe?
10-30-2009, 06:15 PM
Be safe, have fun, it will be done the second Saturday in December, the official end of muzzleloading.:)

Sheesh! You can ALWAYS hunt for coyote, red squirrel, porcupine and woodchuck! :D:D

TRF
10-30-2009, 06:35 PM
Sheesh! You can ALWAYS hunt for coyote, red squirrel, porcupine and woodchuck! :D:D

And Deer!! It just depends on a individuals attitude toward the rules. :p

Be Safe!

hollora
10-30-2009, 07:47 PM
Agreed - Be Safe!

pm28570
10-30-2009, 08:19 PM
Sundays work for me.....

dubord207
10-30-2009, 08:51 PM
And Deer!! It just depends on a individuals attitude toward the rules. :p

Be Safe!

I'm aware that there are certain areas in the state, mainly the Albion area, where there are exempt zones where rules from the wild wild west dominate. I believe TRF's family is responsible for making sure law and order is strictly enforced within these guidelines.:)

shuman road searchers
10-30-2009, 09:14 PM
I think they go something like this. Rule 1: shoot until the gun is empty! Rule 2 :Shoot one deer for each finger on your left hand! Rule 3: Game wardens make for a tasty stew!

squirrelcache
10-30-2009, 09:52 PM
Run Bambi.......Run! ;)

Waterski
10-30-2009, 10:33 PM
Thanks for the hunting reminder..I was only thinking about Halloween actually. Hunting did not even enter my mind for Sat.

Hiram357
10-30-2009, 10:34 PM
I think they go something like this. Rule 1: shoot until the gun is empty! Rule 2 :Shoot one deer for each finger on your left hand! Rule 3: Game wardens make for a tasty stew!

That's just totally irresponsible, unethical, and immoral!!!

That's why I do my hunting at night when there's less people like that in the woods... sheesh...:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:: D:D

fins2right
10-30-2009, 10:58 PM

That's why I do my hunting at night when there's less people like that in the woods... sheesh...:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:: D:D

Friends of mine in Rumford used to call it "Grocery Shopping". :D

Of course, they actually needed the food. I've seen more than one warden drop a deer off at a home that could use it.

I've been bird hunting / geocaching for a few days this fall. I like the combination. However, when I have that beer stuff at Flatlanders in Greenville, my GPS looks funny. I keep trying though!!!:)

Sudonim
10-31-2009, 11:09 AM

Night hunting is safer too. You can assume that if it's holding a flashlight, it's not a deer! Don't shoot it.

ltlindian
10-31-2009, 09:42 PM
Night hunting is safer too. You can assume that if it's holding a flashlight, it's not a deer! Don't shoot it.

OMG! This made me laugh out loud!

cano
10-31-2009, 10:29 PM
I just wonder how much is whole deer meat worth? Do they eat it? Do they sell it?

EMSDanel
10-31-2009, 10:36 PM
Oh my.... this thread has made me think of several things. First, for several reasons I recently disabled my Geo Zoo caches in time for deer hunting season. Next, I'm familiar with the Albion area and some of the hunters there....and you are making a BIG mistake if you think "if it's shining a flashlight it's not a deer." The usual rules do not apply in Albion because the deer there are so irate at being shot at that they've learned to shine their own lights at night hunters and shoot back. Finally, and this is true, I have an ex-wife named Bambi (to make it even worse, she was born on the fourth of July - I swear). Please feel free to take aim.....tell the wardens that you bagged a two-point doe :-)

pm28570
10-31-2009, 10:40 PM
'ol station humor starting to kick in......biting my tongue......:)

I have an ex-wife named Bambi (to make it even worse, she was born on the fourth of July - I swear). Please feel free to take aim.....

dubord207
11-01-2009, 07:31 AM
I just wonder how much is whole deer meat worth? Do they eat it? Do they sell it?

The venison from wild deer cannot be sold as that's against the law. You can buy farm raised venison in some stores. Hussey's has it in Windsor as the store owner, Jay Hussey, raises deer. I don't think it's as good as wild deer.

But for the Maine hunter, the value of venison is akin to the value of testosterone. If you "bag" a big boy, then it's "macho, macho, macho man!" "Got your deer yes" is a more common greeting then "hello" in this part of the state. And of course I opted for a dozen caches with Di yesterday so I may have to turn in my drag rope if I don't get out there and get one. But not to worry, I'll get one. I generally use my legal training to simply talk the deer into giving up!

jesse207445
11-01-2009, 08:37 AM
Nooooo, you are supposed to take WAY to big of a semi-automatic rifle, then empty the clip into a clump of bushes, then go check what is there!

P.S if it was your buddy, don't worry, just remember, they had a good run!

jesse207445
11-01-2009, 08:41 AM
Don't worry Mr. Dubord 207, we all know how much you talk, and how good you are with words, believe me, it would kill the deer to try to figure out what you are saying.

brdad
11-01-2009, 08:50 AM
Where else can you hang your Christmas ornaments????

squirrelcache
11-01-2009, 08:55 AM
My brother only hunted once in his life and found himself tagging a deer at a country store up North. The store owner accused him of poaching the deer....shooting it past the legal daylight hours. A lawyer jumped up off the community gossip bench to lend his expertise. He took one brief look and said it was legal. After the hunter left w/his game, the store owner asked him how he knew, thinking it had something to do w/the pupils or such. The lawyer said the hunter was a danged city slicker, cause it took two shots to take the game. The store owner had noticed the smaller handgun finishing shot. The officiating fellow said if the city slicker had taken the deer illegaly...there would have been a hole in the hoof And in the eye. ;)