View Full Version : Road Trip!

Team V3
10-31-2009, 12:06 PM
Ok, when we finally head down South we will be driving. Right now it appears to be just us making the trip so we are not going to be rushed. My original desire was to find one cache per state on the way down. Melissa was not sure about that idea though we will have to make some stops. Is there ANY stops that anyone out there can recommend? Any sights that are must sees or any really fun caches? We figure we are going to have to stop every few hours anyways to stretch our legs and all. We may even find somewhere mid point to spend the night.

It is Huntersville, North Carolina if anyone wants to look to see where we are going.

tat
10-31-2009, 12:17 PM
I used to live in Charlotte!

There is so much to see between here there, it could take 1,000 years! :) How long were you planning to spend?

Team V3
10-31-2009, 12:44 PM
For the ride down we have not set on a specific amount of time but no more than a couple of days.

Haffy
10-31-2009, 02:17 PM

You did? How long ago and where in Charlotte?

Hiram357
10-31-2009, 04:32 PM

There is so much to see between here there, it could take 1,000 years! :) How long were you planning to spend?

where haven't you lived???? :confused::p

WhereRWe?
10-31-2009, 04:53 PM
. Melissa was not sure about that idea though we will have to make some stops. Is there ANY stops that anyone out there can recommend? Any sights that are must sees or any really fun caches?

Make sure you do a "Caches Along a Route" PQ. And you'll find caches at many of the rest areas along the way - especially the commercial rest stops with restaurants, etc.

We figure we are going to have to stop every few hours anyways to stretch our legs and all. We may even find somewhere mid point to spend the night.

Having lived in both Virginia and North Carolina, and driven to Maine from both locations many times, I STRONGLY recommend taking an overnight break 1/2 way.

:D:D

squirrelcache
10-31-2009, 07:12 PM
I believe hoamdezinahs could give you some suggestions if you shoot him an e-mail. He travels to Florida often and knows some quick grabs along the way.

Team V3
11-01-2009, 10:16 AM
Make sure you do a "Caches Along a Route" PQ. And you'll find caches at many of the rest areas along the way - especially the commercial rest stops with restaurants, etc.

Having lived in both Virginia and North Carolina, and driven to Maine from both locations many times, I STRONGLY recommend taking an overnight break 1/2 way.

:D:D

I know its a long drive. A couple of years ago we did the long non-stop drive from here to Orlando Florida. I tell you... with 4 kids, 2 cars and a grandmother it was a bit long :)

Team V3
11-01-2009, 12:32 PM
Actually, Melissa was mentioning two places she would not mind seeing. Hershey Park and Dolliewood. (Dolliewood I am not sure on for myself as I am NOT a lover of Country music at all). These places are a little bit of a detour but as we don't have a specific day to get down there, we can afford the detours. We are planning on heading out right around Thanksgiving (if we head out ON Thanksgiving we may be able to avoid some traffic). Maybe I will try to log on from the computers at whatever hotel we stay at just to let you all know that all is ok. I am planning to do some PQs on several routes. Maine to Hershey, Hersey to Tennessee, and Tennessee to NC. As a side note....is Geowoodstock ALWAYS in TN?

Haffy
11-01-2009, 01:51 PM
Actually they are held in different states each year and Tennessee has held it 2 years. Once in Nashville for GW 2 and Bell Buckle this past year. They have been held in Florida,Texas,NC.California,and the next state will be Washington State the home of geocaching.

Team V3
11-01-2009, 02:56 PM
LOL Now she mentions that she was joking about Dollywood. Not that I mind. An entire park created to boost the ego of a single country singer just is not my cup of tea. LOL

squirrelcache
11-01-2009, 03:01 PM
Oh come on.........Dollywood is a Great place to sample many of the Great foods of the South!!! Can't blame a girl for wanting to flaunt that she likes good food and fun......and welcomes friends of ol' and new to join her. ;)

Team V3
11-01-2009, 03:06 PM
Hehehehehe I guess the thought of any major event or place devoted to that hellish twang known as country music scares the hell out of me. LOL

Haffy
11-01-2009, 03:46 PM
Here is a bookmark list of all the Geowoodstocks: http://www.geocaching.com/bookmarks/view.aspx?guid=1b310688-c419-4ea4-adb9-17454eda978c