View Full Version : Veterans Day!

brdad
11-11-2009, 07:42 AM
Once again it is time to remember those who have served and sacrificed and protected our country and it's people so that we are able to enjoy freedoms many can only dream of. Without these men and women many of us probably would not be here right now.

Extra thoughts go out to the victims, families, and friends of the attack at Ft. Hood.

Thanks to all who have served past and present in peacetime and in war. Take time to recognize all veterans today!

WhereRWe?
11-11-2009, 08:23 AM
Thank you!

And I especially thank recent vets. I think the multiple deployments of this day and age are much harder than Vietnam era "go for a year and come back" or WWII "go until it's over" deployments.

:D:D

cachecrashers4
11-11-2009, 08:44 AM
To all the veterans out there: Thanks!

squirrelcache
11-11-2009, 09:31 AM
To all that have served, and their sacrifices......to those that have given their lives......and to the families that have been affected. Thank You

Team V3
11-11-2009, 12:06 PM
I as well send a sincere thank you!

fins2right
11-11-2009, 05:34 PM
Thank you!

And I especially thank recent vets. I think the multiple deployments of this day and age are much harder than Vietnam era "go for a year and come back" or WWII "go until it's over" deployments.

:D:D

I agree!

I was deployed for Desert Shield/Storm. I had to go once and was assured that would be it. I still have friends in the Air Force who are on thier 3rd or 4th trip. Tough on relationships and family. God bless them.

pjpreb
11-11-2009, 08:29 PM
A big wet kiss for all you vets out there! (From Chip)

From Pete & Jo - a very heartfelt thank you for your dedication & sacrifice in serving our country :)

hollora
11-11-2009, 08:41 PM
I join all who send wishes of thanks to our veterans and their families.

Ekidokai
11-11-2009, 10:44 PM
This is a great day for America

squirrelcache
11-12-2009, 08:12 AM
Only 120 views!? A mere 8 comments!? Interesting how everyone's all gung ho and can't say enough good right after 9/11...... and look at us now! Oh how we forget.... oh how our priorities change. Meanwhile the Vets everday physical and emotional challenges are pretty much the same.

I was talking w/a local American Legion fellow. He commented on how strong membership used to be. The WWII and Vietnam era guys really appreciated having one another for support, in the light of society's views and understanding.

I grew up volunteering at Togus, V.A. I also worked there in early adulthood. I've known countless soldiers from many War Eras. Soldiers of today have only one advantage...an openly receptive society on a whole. The same thing they have in common w/all those before them....silent tears. I can remember relatives of the Pacific Theater and Vietnam Eras sitting on a Sunday...watching TV in silence....and seeing the occassional tear streaming down their cheek.

No matter your political views....don't forget that Vets. may share the same ones. Many of them don't speak up about their service and don't feel they can take public pride. Just remember all that when we're facing terrorist opposition of foreign or domestic on our home turf. And what will you ask of the Veteran....that you couldn't even speak up for once a year!?

So while many of you spoke up to thank the Veterans. I want to thank you...for being brave and considerate enough to speak up in thanks. Such a small and simple gesture....can have such a huge and positive impact.

Thank a Veteran Every Day......

Waterski
11-12-2009, 09:37 AM
I would like to add that there are a couple of events each summer that the car club community puts on to help our veteran's in a small way. At two of the hospitals.. Togus and the veteran's hospital in Mass. The Corvette community gathers with a couple hundred Corvettes and raises thousands of dollars for the hospital with donations for just basic things that the veteran's are not provided at that hospital. People bring Lap robes, basic toiletries,games, etc. which fill a trailer truck. Also, monetary donations are included. Check out vettestovets.org website toread about that and if you are willing to donate some year, we would gladly accept. I will have all the info. Also, in August, all Maine car clubs gather at Togus and do the same with donations and a show for our Veteran's. Veteran's that are able are out on the field with us. Money for their activiy funds are needed, and just basic needs items that are not provided. Too bad!! Anyone is welcome to come to that event. Possilby the geocaching community could do a drive for gifts for needed items at some summer gathering if we wanted to give back to our veterans. Just a thought.

masterson of the universe
11-12-2009, 10:13 AM
I would like to add that there are a couple of events each summer that the car club community puts on to help our veteran's in a small way. At two of the hospitals.. Togus and the veteran's hospital in Mass. The Corvette community gathers with a couple hundred Corvettes and raises thousands of dollars for the hospital with donations for just basic things that the veteran's are not provided at that hospital. People bring Lap robes, basic toiletries,games, etc. which fill a trailer truck. Also, monetary donations are included. Check out vettestovets.org website toread about that and if you are willing to donate some year, we would gladly accept. I will have all the info. Also, in August, all Maine car clubs gather at Togus and do the same with donations and a show for our Veteran's. Veteran's that are able are out on the field with us. Money for their activiy funds are needed, and just basic needs items that are not provided. Too bad!! Anyone is welcome to come to that event. Possilby the geocaching community could do a drive for gifts for needed items at some summer gathering if we wanted to give back to our veterans. Just a thought.

I've been to one of these and was more than happy to donate but I have one question...Why is it that just about every Corvette owner out there has a mustache?

Waterski
11-12-2009, 11:12 PM
Ha! Good question. Probably to keep your face warm while you are riding in a convertible.

Waterski
11-13-2009, 03:00 PM
Along with thanking our Veteran's for their service to all of us, I would also like to extend thanks to all of their spouses, children and extended family for all that they do and all the sacrifices they also make. This is especially difficult during these long deployments. Thank you all, every day.