View Full Version : You Least Favorite Hiding Place?

WhereRWe?
11-11-2009, 08:29 AM
A subject I don't remember discussing before is: What type of hiding place do you like the least?

We have two we really hate to see: the container hidden in a very dense evergreen shrub, or the container hidden in a rock wall.

Sheesh! These are very often hidden in high-muggle areas, and it's very hard to look casual when your moving branches aside, or taking small rocks out of walls and peering behind.

And then there was the cache in Hawaii - hidden in a cactus hedge, but that's another thread. LOL!

cachecrashers4
11-11-2009, 08:39 AM
I don't like hides on, in, or around electrical equipment. Makes me very nervous.

Sabby
11-11-2009, 08:53 AM
I have seen many rock walls destroyed by people searching for a cache there. If you are going to place a cache near a rock wall at least say "It is not in the rock wall" in the description.

brdad
11-11-2009, 09:00 AM
Mine has to be caches in structures which require removal or opening of parts of such structures. Fence post caps, electrical equipment, head stones, lamp posts, telephone booth access panels, wooden pegs, sprinkler heads, bricks/rocks in a wall, and so on. While they are some of the most clever and fun hides, they often promote people to tear things apart nearby or on the next cache. And children who see parents do that often do not understand the implications involved in that and will promote them doing the same, which is even more dangerous in the case of electrical equipment.

Sudonim
11-11-2009, 09:27 AM
Micros in the woods! I like a good micro hide when the small size is needed to keep muggles from finding the cache (lots of urban caches here), but when you are 2 miles into the woods, how about some tupperware or a nice ammo box? The reason for the micro size (IMO) is to avoid being found by unintended people.

Ekidokai
11-11-2009, 12:28 PM
The ones that are right on a busy road with no where to stop or stand even. I have been to three recently that I really didn't like. In the high traffic times of day I can see trouble.

lexmano
11-11-2009, 12:38 PM
Micros in the woods! I like a good micro hide when the small size is needed to keep muggles from finding the cache (lots of urban caches here), but when you are 2 miles into the woods, how about some tupperware or a nice ammo box? The reason for the micro size (IMO) is to avoid being found by unintended people.

This one is the extreme of micros in the woods!

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=0e4b50a7-d615-4579-bd62-09f863f251bb

fins2right
11-11-2009, 05:32 PM
I have not come across a hide yet that I really disliked, at least not one that sticks in my head. I have heard of caches that look like wasp nests, dog feces and bubble gum. Look, If I won't touch it normally, do people really think that I'm going to try and find a log in that?:confused:

WhereRWe?
11-11-2009, 06:12 PM

Sheesh! Just today we passed up a cache named "Do you hate micros in the woods? (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=5b031da0-0160-47ec-b87e-3aeb31467502)". LOL!

firefighterjake
11-12-2009, 08:33 AM

+1 . . . I'm not anti-micro . . . I just figure for every size there is a place and vice versa . . . and hiding a micro in middle of the woods just isn't right . . . I usually think of it as the lazy or cheap cacher who goes this route. Besides, my opinion has always been it's easy to conceal a micro really well . . . but oftentimes it can be much more of a challenge to conceal a regular cache well once you get by the usual pile of rocks, pile of sticks and hollow stumps.

Waterski
11-13-2009, 03:18 PM
My not so favorite caches are the ones in a very high traffic area very close to the side of the road. I am not opposed to GR caches, and have done a fair amount, and only a couple have been a little on the too close to scary side. This issue probably depends on the month of year in Maine! Electrical boxes to me send a bad message if you cache with children along. Thats why we have choices on where to cache...not everyone has the same issues.

dubord207
11-13-2009, 07:21 PM
Extremely well hid caches in wooded areas with no clues and little chance of finding the cache. Like Waterski, caches next to the road where there's no safe place to park.

Caches placed anywhere where's there's a lot of litter, trash or likely spot for a dead body or two! If there's already litter where you want to place it, don"t!

Any caches with bad coords that are noted in logs and then not changed. Happens way too often!

Disposable Glad containers, the cheap ones designed to keep a few leftovers for one more meal. These can't possibly survive a Maine winter. If a mouse walks by, it's toast. Two inches of snow, everything in it is ruined. God forbid a winter cacher hits it with a ski pole or pokey stick...it's done! If that's your idea of great cache container, just cache and let others put them out!

Caches placed with out of date GPS units. Let's face it folks, there are some of the older units that couldn't find the Maine Mall on a good day. Wait until you upgrade.

Serial logging. C'mon, use a little imagination. The cacher that placed the cache likes to read something positive about the cache. "SL TFTC"..is that really the best you can do? Yeah, there are some fairly ordinary caches but try the Golden Rule and ask how you feel about serial logs on your own caches!

Ramdom thoughts by Di and I and no way intended to offend anybody. We know many can't spring for Pelican containers and Oregons but there's always more that most can do to improve the game!

WhereRWe?
11-13-2009, 07:40 PM
Serial logging. C'mon, use a little imagination. The cacher that placed the cache likes to read something positive about the cache. "SL TFTC"..is that really the best you can do?

My log entries are consistent with the quality of the cache. A GRC or LPC cache gets - on a good day - three words (cut-and-paste works great!). A well thought out, nicely located cache with good "swag", might get 2-3 paragraphs.

We like "the game". Note the log entry I made yesterday for one cache (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=1f8e5b10-6979-459b-b106-b111313eebd8) we found, and the log for the TB (http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?guid=1052aa64-ae18-44b6-b4ad-40e1e7cddbd5) we left in the cache.

:D:D

And don't give me this "do unto others" malarky... :p:p

hollora
11-13-2009, 07:41 PM
Extremely well hid caches in wooded areas with no clues and little chance of finding the cache. Like Waterski, caches next to the road where there's no safe place to park.

Caches placed anywhere where's there's a lot of litter, trash or likely spot for a dead body or two! If there's already litter where you want to place it, don"t!

Any caches with bad coords that are noted in logs and then not changed. Happens way too often!

Disposable Glad containers, the cheap ones designed to keep a few leftovers for one more meal. These can't possibly survive a Maine winter. If a mouse walks by, it's toast. Two inches of snow, everything in it is ruined. God forbid a winter cacher hits it with a ski pole or pokey stick...it's done! If that's your idea of great cache container, just cache and let others put them out!

Caches placed with out of date GPS units. Let's face it folks, there are some of the older units that couldn't find the Maine Mall on a good day. Wait until you upgrade.

Serial logging. C'mon, use a little imagination. The cacher that placed the cache likes to read something positive about the cache. "SL TFTC"..is that really the best you can do? Yeah, there are some fairly ordinary caches but try the Golden Rule and ask how you feel about serial logs on your own caches!

Ramdom thoughts by Di and I and no way intended to offend anybody. We know many can't spring for Pelican containers and Oregons but there's always more that most can do to improve the game!

Oh, oh - I like this list. I also am a firm proponent of permission of land owner or overseer whether it be public land or private.

cano
11-13-2009, 07:44 PM
Hint: none needed, I hate it twice. Once because I need it, especially if your coords are off. Second, computers are caching too and it is confusing for them, just leave this field blank if you have to.

Sudonim
11-13-2009, 07:56 PM
On hints:
How about "Under the rock" and you are in a gravel pit?
Or "in the pine tree" and you are in the woods in Maine?
IF you put a hint, make it useful. If I'm standing in the woods decyphering a hint, I don't need it to tell me which exit to get off the interstate to get to the parking area, I'm past that at this point. THAT should be in the cache description, if it's needed. Give me something relevant to the moment at hand.

Waterski
11-13-2009, 07:58 PM
Of course the hider never needs a hint. But what about the rest of us? ha

dubord207
11-13-2009, 08:05 PM
I really like the Rulost2 logs on the cache in NH. Plus, anytime you can do a picture adds so much to a log. I agree, Bruce, it's sometimes a bit hard to say much about a GRC or a LPC but I most often try to add a little something. The comic graphic you had on that cache, is that something you can forward to me? I think that's the kind of thing that I could use when even I am at a loss of words to say something about a hide.:)

pm28570
11-13-2009, 09:13 PM
Well, well, well. I think this dispels the myth that you are the resident "Old Curmudgeon" of GCM.org :) Great logs!

We like "the game". Note the log entry I made yesterday for one cache (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=1f8e5b10-6979-459b-b106-b111313eebd8) we found, and the log for the TB (http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?guid=1052aa64-ae18-44b6-b4ad-40e1e7cddbd5) we left in the cache.

pm28570
11-13-2009, 09:16 PM
Well said, Dan. I would include caches hidden by very inexperienced cachers. These are usually the Glad containers and poor cords.

cano
11-13-2009, 10:04 PM
On hints:
I don't need it to tell me which exit to get off the interstate to get to the parking area, I'm past that at this point. THAT should be in the cache description, if it's needed. Give me something relevant to the moment at hand.
It supposed to be in waypoints. I hate to enter it manually into GPS, why bother with explaining, I won't read it anyway. Just add waypoints. How to get there, where to park.

brdad
11-13-2009, 10:45 PM
Love it or hate it, I intentionally leave waypoints out of a few of my caches so cahers have to enter them in manually. That's why the grids in battleship are hidden and why a few of my woods caches don't have the child waypoints. It's not all about having it easy!

But I agree, the hints are no place for them.

Ekidokai
11-14-2009, 02:45 AM
Love it or hate it, I intentionally leave waypoints out of a few of my caches so cahers have to enter them in manually. That's why the grids in battleship are hidden and why a few of my woods caches don't have the child waypoints. It's not all about having it easy!

Now that you mention it Battleship would have been easier if there were a way to grab then, but I enjoy entering them by hand anyway. If the coordinates were a lot more accurate on some of those Battleship locations it would have been more fun and interesting. I kept thinking, holy crap I wonder how many adult beverages you had when doing those.

brdad
11-14-2009, 06:55 AM
Now that you mention it Battleship would have been easier if there were a way to grab then, but I enjoy entering them by hand anyway. If the coordinates were a lot more accurate on some of those Battleship locations it would have been more fun and interesting. I kept thinking, holy crap I wonder how many adult beverages you had when doing those.

Hmmm, I visited all of sites several times when placing the cache verifying the coordinates. I did the entire cache 3 different ways to help verify there was only one answer. I have had very few reports of any of those locations being off. I had more trouble making sure the final was right, and have double checked that at least 50 times.

Do you suppose you might have entered a few of the locations incorrectly because you had to do them manually?
I always welcome input on the coordinates of any of my caches or the stages thereof. If you or anyone else know which stages you think are off, feel free to email me with your coordinates and I will look into it.

cano
11-14-2009, 11:05 AM

I wasn't a paying member when I did battle ship so I wouldn't have access to WPs anyway, however I did not enter them manually. I wrote a simple regular expression to extract all coords from the table and saved them into format my GPS could read :)

Opalsns
11-14-2009, 11:36 AM
On hints:
How about "Under the rock" and you are in a gravel pit?
Or "in the pine tree" and you are in the woods in Maine?
IF you put a hint, make it useful. If I'm standing in the woods decyphering a hint, I don't need it to tell me which exit to get off the interstate to get to the parking area, I'm past that at this point. THAT should be in the cache description, if it's needed. Give me something relevant to the moment at hand.

Yup, Yup !!
and the one that puts GZ on a rock pile and the hint is...
" It's not in the rock pile ??? Ha, Oh Brother!!

masterson of the universe
11-14-2009, 12:13 PM
Battleship was a great cache regardless of having to enter the coords manually or not and as I recall, they were all pretty well on in regards to what you were to be looking for. Brewer by the Numbers, Hampden Highlights (archived), and Tic-Tac-Bangor were all a lot of fun as they build up the anticipation of the final. Alex's Monster Multiple Nightmare was a different story.

Of all cachers, there is one member that comes to mind that has hints that are really hard to make sense of when you get to GZ and can't come up with the find. I still haven't figured this cacher out but will eventually then those caches will be off my list.

Sudonim
11-14-2009, 03:29 PM
When I started Battleship, I didn't even know how to put coords in my GPS! I stood on the sidewalk downtown and walked around until the numbers were going in the right direction. I quickly figured out how to plug in numbers.

Ekidokai
11-14-2009, 06:34 PM
Hmmm, I visited all of sites several times when placing the cache verifying the coordinates. I did the entire cache 3 different ways to help verify there was only one answer. I have had very few reports of any of those locations being off. I had more trouble making sure the final was right, and have double checked that at least 50 times.

Do you suppose you might have entered a few of the locations incorrectly because you had to do them manually?
I always welcome input on the coordinates of any of my caches or the stages thereof. If you or anyone else know which stages you think are off, feel free to email me with your coordinates and I will look into it.

I didn't mean to be critical, just talking out loud...or what ever. I still have the coordinates and I'll get with you sometime. The final was right on and that was probably most important.

brdad
11-14-2009, 11:05 PM
I didn't mean to be critical, just talking out loud...or what ever. I still have the coordinates and I'll get with you sometime. The final was right on and that was probably most important.

No problem, I m always willing to listen to input!

EMSDanel
11-15-2009, 01:40 AM
I agree with Hollora....I just shake my head when I arrive at a cache site and know full well the cache owner has not asked for/received permission to place it there.

jesse207445
12-20-2009, 12:53 AM
mine would have to be those 4s, or 3s, that are in the middle of the woods, and you just hiked 2 miles out of the way to get, and there to hard to find, it is REALLY annoying to have that happen.

togusfinder
12-20-2009, 09:18 AM
How's it going? See you at Mimi Redman's and the Margarita party. Mimi Stacey

shuman road searchers
12-20-2009, 12:52 PM
How's it going? See you at Mimi Redman's and the Margarita party. Mimi Stacey

:D:DNice first post, great way to derail the thread!:D:D

WhereRWe?
12-20-2009, 05:27 PM
:D:DNice first post, great way to derail the thread!:D:D

Sheesh! I think someone - a newcomer - just made a mistake. Their first forum post. Great way to make them feel welcome...

shuman road searchers
12-20-2009, 07:45 PM
Sheesh! I think someone - a newcomer - just made a mistake. Their first forum post. Great way to make them feel welcome...

No Bruce, I think you made the mistake!:D Togusfinder is my stepmother and her response was to my son!

WhereRWe?
12-20-2009, 08:28 PM
No Bruce, I think you made the mistake!:D Togusfinder is my stepmother and her response was to my son!

No - I didn't make a mistake. I defended a newcomer - I think appropriately. You should have stated the above in the original post, then it would not have been an issue. I think anyone reading your comment would have drawn the same conclusion as I did.

The mistake was obviously yours. :p:p

dubord207
12-20-2009, 08:37 PM
Don't worry Bruce. I know the son, Jesse, and he's sharp as a tack, as they say, and very capable of defending himself. They are all family and "good family" at that. I don't think you caused any ill-will whatsoever and I'm sure the Stacey clan wouldn't be offended.:)

EMSDanel
12-21-2009, 08:26 AM
I did a cache once that was hidden right underneath a memorial stone (flat stone on the ground, words on it) like a grave marker. You had to lift up the stone and there was a match container. I thought that was quite tacky. And then there was a nano wedged under a piece of bark on a tree in the middle of the forest...."You've got to be kidding me..."

WhereRWe?
12-21-2009, 08:45 AM
Don't worry Bruce. I know the son, Jesse, and he's sharp as a tack, as they say, and very capable of defending himself. They are all family and "good family" at that. I don't think you caused any ill-will whatsoever and I'm sure the Stacey clan wouldn't be offended.:)

"Don't think I caused any ill-will"? Sheesh! Of course I didn't! LOL! Had I known that someone was just poking fun at a relative it would not even have been mentioned. I have a lot of interaction with newcomers, and know how ignorant (sorry, newcomers! LOL!) they can be sometimes. I would assume that my defense of any newcomer would be applauded. :D:D

(And my disdain for the "Thread Police" should be well known! LOL!)

WhereRWe?
12-21-2009, 08:50 AM
I did a cache once that was hidden right underneath a memorial stone (flat stone on the ground, words on it) like a grave marker. You had to lift up the stone and there was a match container. I thought that was quite tacky.

We recently did a cache "in a cemetery". Following the GPSr, we drove into the cemetery on the access road and drove almost to the cache which was just outside the cemetery fence. You could look over the fence and see the cache, but obviously you were supposed to go back to the road and walk along the outside of the fence to get to the cache.

Typically, someone had torn down the fence to be able to get to the cache.

:(:(

TRF
12-21-2009, 11:11 AM
I think (hehehe) Shuman Road Searchers should be banned for abusing the noobs. BAD SRS. BAD!!!! :D

P.S. Hi Karen and Jesse! Happy Holidays!!!!

dubord207
12-21-2009, 11:56 AM
Nobody is ever going to use the word "ignorant" in the same sentence as the elementary students in Solon. Number 2 in the State!!!!! That's speaks rather well of the school system in Bruce's backyard. Is it something in the water?:) The article is in today's Morning Sentinel.

"Don't think I caused any ill-will"? Sheesh! Of course I didn't! LOL! Had I known that someone was just poking fun at a relative it would not even have been mentioned. I have a lot of interaction with newcomers, and know how ignorant (sorry, newcomers! LOL!) they can be sometimes. I would assume that my defense of any newcomer would be applauded. :D:D

(And my disdain for the "Thread Police" should be well known! LOL!)

brdad
12-21-2009, 12:19 PM
Even smart people can be ignorant! I'd prove it, but I can't recreate the smart part!

I probably should not mention this for fear or someone liking the idea, but a few left coasters were talking in nat'l chat the other day claiming a few hiders out there are adjusting their coords (not the cache!) 25 feet or more in order to post coords which were over the 528 foot minimum from another cache. That certainly would be a least favorite hiding practice for me and in my opinion is bad caching practice. Look for it at a cache near you! I warned you first!

WhereRWe?
12-21-2009, 12:52 PM
Nobody is ever going to use the word "ignorant" in the same sentence as the elementary students in Solon. Number 2 in the State!!!!! That's speaks rather well of the school system in Bruce's backyard. Is it something in the water?:) The article is in today's Morning Sentinel.

You need to read the article closely. If this school is "number 2 in the state", we're pretty badly off.

"Number 2 in the state" - among Title 1 schools (and at 68% receiving reduced or free lunches vs the 40% threshold for Title1).

And look at the student/teacher ratio: 12 to 1. Wow! Every school should be so lucky.

And, SHEESH! 100% of students in 3 subjects met (or exceeded) minimum standards. This should be the norm - not a commendable goal!

But don't get me started on the subject of Solon Elementary School! LOL!

;);)

WhereRWe?
12-21-2009, 12:54 PM
Even smart people can be ignorant! I'd prove it, but I can't recreate the smart part!

Ignorance can be cured, which is why I defend ignorant people. :D:D

Haffy
12-21-2009, 03:54 PM

I probably should not mention this for fear or someone liking the idea, but a few left coasters were talking in nat'l chat the other day claiming a few hiders out there are adjusting their coords (not the cache!) 25 feet or more in order to post coords which were over the 528 foot minimum from another cache. That certainly would be a least favorite hiding practice for me and in my opinion is bad caching practice. Look for it at a cache near you! I warned you first!

It's too bad that the cache density in some places has gotten to the point where cache hiders have to lie about the coordinates in order to place a cache. :(

fins2right
12-22-2009, 10:00 AM

I hadn't even considered that as a possibility! Outragous! I put two caches out in Benton a few months ago in a nice little veterans park there. Soon after I received an email from Maine Publisher stating that one of my caches was only 480 feet from another. I was shocked because I took measurements with two different GPS's and they both showed .12 apart. I went back and remeasured and got the same readings. After scratching my head for a while I went online and noticed a LT cache, up the road 480 feet that I had conflicted with. That made me feel stupid. I promptly went out and fixed the cache to keep it within guidelines! I triple check my area's now, just to make sure. Sigh, sometimes I'm just not that bright.:D:D:D

TRF
12-22-2009, 10:21 AM
Oddly enough, if one creates a puzzle/multi/unknown cache, the hider can hide the final within feet of another cache and not be in conflict with the 512 foot rule. I know of several caches that fit this description. One is a puzzle cache where the final in 160 feet away from a traditional. The caches were submitted for publication by two different hiders so it is possible (and more than likely) that it happened by circumstance.

Even so, I enjoyed both caches and assign no fault.

Where there is a will there is a way!!

Cache on!!

brdad
12-22-2009, 01:03 PM
Oddly enough, if one creates a puzzle/multi/unknown cache, the hider can hide the final within feet of another cache and not be in conflict with the 512 foot rule. I know of several caches that fit this description. One is a puzzle cache where the final in 160 feet away from a traditional. The caches were submitted for publication by two different hiders so it is possible (and more than likely) that it happened by circumstance.

Even so, I enjoyed both caches and assign no fault.

Where there is a will there is a way!!

Cache on!!

The final is not supposed to be within 528 feet of another physical cache, it is ok for it to be within 528 feet of posted coords for a puzzle cache or a virtual stage of a multi or a virtual or earthcache. However, some do slip through the cracks on occasion, and approvers do get to bend the rules if they feel the need. This is bound to happen once in a while and at least if the coords are correct I don't have a problem with it (Though if I ruled the world the minimum distance would be at least .5 mile :p).

cano
12-22-2009, 09:59 PM
We recently did a cache "in a cemetery". Following the GPSr, we drove into the cemetery on the access road and drove almost to the cache which was just outside the cemetery fence. You could look over the fence and see the cache, but obviously you were supposed to go back to the road and walk along the outside of the fence to get to the cache.

Typically, someone had torn down the fence to be able to get to the cache.

:(:(
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zE_iSi2KGP8

Ekidokai
12-23-2009, 01:37 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zE_iSi2KGP8

I know that one. Remembered it as soon as I saw it come up. Hope you didn't catch your jingle bells on the fence. You have to where long pants on those.

cano
12-23-2009, 09:41 AM
I know that one. Remembered it as soon as I saw it come up. Hope you didn't catch your jingle bells on the fence. You have to where long pants on those.
Well,.... read my DNF log :) This is how it's called during xmas?

shuman road searchers
12-23-2009, 04:11 PM
This is a small camoed container nestled in 7 maples located outside the fence. I gave a 2.5 for the terrain only because there is some thick underbrush in places.

Mapachi
12-25-2009, 05:57 PM
I have not come across a hide yet that I really disliked, at least not one that sticks in my head. I have heard of caches that look like wasp nests, dog feces and bubble gum. Look, If I won't touch it normally, do people really think that I'm going to try and find a log in that?:confused:
This is why I wear gloves, sometimes!