View Full Version : So much paper!

rcwhit
11-15-2009, 10:37 AM
Hi All!
I would like to know if there is a program that you use to download the (LOC) or (GPX) files to the laptop so I don't have to print out SO MUCH PAPER! I have tried to download one file to the laptop, but can't find anything on the laptop to open it. :(

WhereRWe?
11-15-2009, 10:47 AM
Hi All!
I would like to know if there is a program that you use to download the (LOC) or (GPX) files to the laptop so I don't have to print out SO MUCH PAPER! I have tried to download one file to the laptop, but can't find anything on the laptop to open it. :(

Sheesh! Here I go again...

Most people who "go paperless" use a Palm PDA with Cachemate software (http://www.smittyware.com/palm/cachemate/). It is cheap ($10), and works on any Palm OS later than 3.0. It is basically the equivalent of having printed listings.

You should also have GSAK (http://www.gsak.net/) (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife) on your laptop. It is a database management tool for geocaches. It is extremely comprehensive, and allows you to export listings to almost any device (computer, GPS, etc.) It is also fairly cheap - $25 for a registered version.

:D:D

rcwhit
11-15-2009, 11:08 AM
Thanks for the reply. We do a lot of camping in different places and it would be nice to be able to find wireless connection where we could look up new caches (in case we run out) in the area and just download them for later viewing and hunting. Will check out the GSAK program.

WhereRWe?
11-15-2009, 03:14 PM
Thanks for the reply. We do a lot of camping in different places and it would be nice to be able to find wireless connection where we could look up new caches (in case we run out) in the area and just download them for later viewing and hunting. Will check out the GSAK program.

What do you have for a GPS receiver?

robt
11-15-2009, 11:50 PM
I have been using my phone for first to find and even caching. Sofar it is working well.

Ekidokai
11-16-2009, 05:42 AM

If you download all the caches in Maine to GSAK you will not need an Internet connection.

The Garmin Nuvi can hold all the caches in the state and all of newengland if you want to really try and fill it up.They will hold all the information off the cache page.

rcwhit
11-16-2009, 05:59 AM
I have a GPSMAP 60CSx.

WhereRWe?
11-16-2009, 07:49 AM
I have a GPSMAP 60CSx.

Sheesh! One of the best GPS receivers for geocaching, IMHO!

Get GSAK on your computer, and buy a Premium membership on Geocaching.com so you can download pocket queries to GSAK. Then you can manipulate the data any way you want, and download up to 1,000 geocaches onto your GPSr.

Then get a PDA, install Cachemate on that, and you'll be able to export geocache data from GSAK to the PDA - as many geocaches as your memory chip will hold. Newer PDAs with SD card memory chips can hold thousands of geocaches.

Go to one of our GeocachingMaine.org events and there will be many members who will be glad to demonstrate.

rcwhit
11-16-2009, 06:14 PM
Thanks! I downloaded the GSAK program and think it will do just what I want.(As soon as I figure it all out) Will be looking forward to the next GeocachingMaine event and ALL the members who will be GLAD to demonstrate! (a few times???)

Ekidokai
11-16-2009, 06:41 PM
Go to the coffee shop in the trailer. I know one cacher is in there often and is good at GSAK and all.

WhereRWe?
11-16-2009, 06:48 PM
Will be looking forward to the next GeocachingMaine event and ALL the members who will be GLAD to demonstrate! (a few times???)

Winter is a slow period for geocaching events, although RULost2? and I sponsor the Winslow Winter Weekend Waypoint Warrior Wingding on the 3d Saturday of February each year, and I believe KachingKaren might be hosting an event in January.

Or, like Okidookie says - we can always meet for coffee in Vassalboro...

Ekidokai
11-16-2009, 07:50 PM
I just hate the thought of all that shaving I'd have to do to go get a coffee there. I hate going topless with out shaving.

Sudonim
11-16-2009, 08:10 PM
I just hate the thought of all that shaving I'd have to do to go get a coffee there. I hate going topless with out shaving.

I'm getting an uncomfortable picture of what you would consider a "flash mob event" to consist of...:p

JustKev
11-17-2009, 04:23 PM
Hey guys,

RCWhit is my brother-in-law so don't be sending him into the coffee shop in the trailer or I might have to go in to get him out. Wait a minute....let me think this through.....yeah, send him on in. I'll stand by and be ready for the rescue.....

Haffy
11-17-2009, 06:55 PM
I must be missing something in the translation here somewhere. What's with the coffee shop trailer anyway?

WhereRWe?
11-17-2009, 06:57 PM
I must be missing something in the translation here somewhere. What's with the coffee shop trailer anyway?

Sheesh, Haffy! Aren't you keeping track of what's happening in your old homeland? :p:p

Here's a link (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,573002,00.html) to a recent article.

Sudonim
11-17-2009, 06:59 PM
I don't see the big deal about a topless coffee joint. I see bottomless cups of coffee offered all over, this just mixes it up a little!

Haffy
11-17-2009, 07:11 PM
Sheesh, Haffy! Aren't you keeping track of what's happening in your old homeland? :p:p

Here's a link (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,573002,00.html) to a recent article.

HOLY CRAP!!! In Vassalboro no less, what is Maine coming to anyway?...LOL

Haffy
11-17-2009, 07:11 PM
I don't see the big deal about a topless coffee joint. I see bottomless cups of coffee offered all over, this just mixes it up a little!

Good one Andy!!!

dubord207
11-17-2009, 09:07 PM
The place is about 4 miles from where we live as the crow flies. Di's youngest and his buddies took it in last winter when he was up from Florida. I have a few other friends who have dropped in.

If tatoo'd ladies with various surgical scars and bad teeth or lack thereof are your cup of tea ( or coffee ) then stop on in and have a donut wrapped in plastic and some Maxwell House. While trying to burn the guy out is just plain wrong, we're not waiting for revenues from this place to balance the local budget.:) You're not missing much Johnny!

rcwhit
11-17-2009, 09:10 PM
I've heard the coffee is expensive there, is that true Ekidokai??? ;)

Ekidokai
11-18-2009, 01:45 AM
Not at all and it's very good.

I mean I don't know, never been anywhere near there except to look at the fire.

rcwhit
11-21-2009, 04:29 PM
OK I have downloaded GSAK and have downloaded a Pocket Query file into it. The file it creates is a LOC file. Is there a way to change the program so it downloads a GPX file instead of the LOC. I like the extra info that the GPX file has, but can only load the GPX files into the GSAK program 1 by 1.

WhereRWe?
11-21-2009, 04:56 PM
OK I have downloaded GSAK and have downloaded a Pocket Query file into it. The file it creates is a LOC file. Is there a way to change the program so it downloads a GPX file instead of the LOC. I like the extra info that the GPX file has, but can only load the GPX files into the GSAK program 1 by 1.

What? You mean download a GPX file FROM GC.COM, instead of a LOC file?

When you set up the parameters for the pocket query, at the bottom of the form, you have a choice of downloading GPS or LOC. Make sure you have it set to the one you want.

As for loading the PQ into GSAK, double-click on the attachment to the message (the PQ file) and transfer it to your desktop. Then you can just "drag and drop" the file onto the GSAK icon and it will self-load. You have to do this for each PQ you've download, but it's otherwise painless.

Ekidokai
11-22-2009, 12:56 PM
Brdad has and article explaining how to do this on the front page.

rcwhit
11-22-2009, 08:22 PM
Thanks Ekidokai, I missed that. That helped alot. Just think, someday I'll know enough to be dangerous!

JustPJ66
11-22-2009, 10:11 PM
Thanks Ekidokai, I missed that. That helped alot. Just think, someday I'll know enough to be dangerous!

Big brothers just shouldn't say things like this when their bratty little sisters can read it!!!!! hehe

Waterski
11-22-2009, 10:34 PM
If you are already using GSAK, you probably ALREADY know enough to be dangerous. Watch out little sister. :)

rcwhit
11-25-2009, 10:51 PM
Well . . . I downloaded the caches to my GPS from the GSAK program and went Geocaching. I noticed that where the GC # used to be is a abbreviated title. Now I didn't think too much about that at first, but when I got home and tried to log the finds on Geocaching.com and didn't have the exact GC #, thats where things went bad. I tried to type in the abbreviated name into search box and the site came up with 40 or 50 related caches that it could be. To make a long story short, (or is it too late!) is there a way to make the GSAK program write the GC # into the GPS instead of the abbreviated name? :mad:

WhereRWe?
11-26-2009, 07:34 AM
Well . . . I downloaded the caches to my GPS from the GSAK program and went Geocaching. I noticed that where the GC # used to be is a abbreviated title. Now I didn't think too much about that at first, but when I got home and tried to log the finds on Geocaching.com and didn't have the exact GC #, thats where things went bad. I tried to type in the abbreviated name into search box and the site came up with 40 or 50 related caches that it could be. To make a long story short, (or is it too late!) is there a way to make the GSAK program write the GC # into the GPS instead of the abbreviated name? :mad:

Yes.

In GSAK, click on "gps", then "send waypoints".

This will bring up the "send waypoints to GPS" screen, Towards the bottom right of the sscreen, you'll see a block that says "Waypoint Description Format (comments)". Change "Waypoint by" to "code", then download the waypoints to your GPSr.

Now the listing on the GPSr will show the name of the cache, the cache GCXXXXX code, and the person who placed it.

(Sheesh! I just went to the car in underwear and slippers to get my GPSr to test this! LOL!)

JustKev
11-26-2009, 07:41 AM
(Sheesh! I just went to the car in underwear and slippers to get my GPSr to test this! LOL!)

Is that why Channel 6 news is reporting something akin to bigfoot or the abominal snowman being sighted in Solon?

pm28570
11-26-2009, 07:45 AM
To quote a familiar term...."Sheesh", we didn't need to know that! :D

rcwhit
11-26-2009, 10:28 AM

Now that you showed me how to do that, I see that one can change all kinds of things going to te GPS. I added the full name of the cache listings along with the code number.

I just want to let you know that I appreciate your going above and WAY BEYOND the call of duty! Who needs to read directions when we have people like you around! I owe you a cup of coffee when we finally get meet you in person. (At ANY coffee shop you want!:eek:)
THANK YOU WhereRWe !!

brdad
11-26-2009, 10:31 AM

I hate when I have to get dressed to go outside too!