View Full Version : Vote now for your favorite Maine Geocoin Design!

Cache Maine
05-07-2005, 10:15 PM
The time has come to pick our first ever Maine Geocoin.

Option 1

Front-Geocaching Maine, The way caching should be, 4 color logo

Back-Please visit www.geocachingmaine.org (http://www.geocachingmaine.org/) to log this coin, portland headlight

http://www.geocities.com/cameoooooo/MECOIN1.JPG

Option 2

Front-Geocaching Maine, The way caching should be, 4 color logo

Back-Please visit www.geocachingmaine.org (http://www.geocachingmaine.org/) to log this coin, Maine Dirigo Seal

http://www.geocities.com/cameoooooo/MECOIN2.JPG

d’76
05-07-2005, 10:32 PM
I like option #1

Nice Job and thanks:rolleyes:

attroll
05-07-2005, 11:19 PM
I voted for option #2. I like the idea of making the first coin all about Maine, because we represent the state of Maine. So I think the first coin we make should be option #2. Then we can go with something else later on like a lighthouse or what ever we want later.

blevesque
05-07-2005, 11:54 PM
Option 2. I realized the significance of Option 1 being the first Maine cache the headlight, but I also agree with attroll that the coin should represent Maine. Also, there's more to Maine than lighthouses. Living in Northern Maine, all we have lots of potatoes and Moose. Or is it Mooses, or Meese. Ummm, nevermind....:p

tat
05-08-2005, 06:26 AM
I want a three sided coin! Seriously, both designs are great. I'm going to past them both on a coin and flip it.

Thanks for all the great artistic effort.

Mainiac1957
05-08-2005, 07:06 AM
I also chose Option 2 and agree that a lighthouse does say Maine, but the seal just says it more. In the coming years then a moose, a lighthouse, a loon, or Mt. Katahdin would be good choices for the reverse side of the coin. These of course are just my opinions. :D

Hiker Twins
05-08-2005, 07:17 AM
I voted for option #2. I like the idea of making the first coin all about Maine, because we represent the state of Maine. So I think the first coin we make should be option #2. Then we can go with something else later on like a lighthouse or what ever we want later.
My sentiments exactly.

Haffy
05-08-2005, 07:56 AM
At first, I was almost convinced on option# 1 but the more I think about this being the first coin I am leaning towards option # 2 as we are representing the whole state and not just the coastal areas. Good job on all the hard work that is involved to make this come to fruition. My vote option #2, have we checked with the state to be sure that we can indeed use the Maine Dirigo seal?

Cache Maine
05-08-2005, 08:04 AM
have we checked with the state to be sure that we can indeed use the Maine Dirigo seal?Creative Imaging (Tumpy Dog) has authority to use the design in any of his work as long as it is done in good taste.

Geochicks
05-08-2005, 09:24 AM
At first, I was almost convinced on option# 1 but the more I think about this being the first coin I am leaning towards option # 2 as we are representing the whole state and not just the coastal areas.

Oh I hate it when he makes sense when I was so set in what I was going to say... Haffy you got me to change my mind....

VOTE: Coin #2

Team2hunt
05-08-2005, 09:32 AM
Both designs are excellant. Thanks to all who have made this happen. We will be very happy having either design. There seems to be such a demand for a Maine coin. It won't be long befroe both designs are available. Can't wait.

Mainepod
05-08-2005, 07:18 PM
I voted for Dirigo, but like the lighthouse design almost as much!

lost hiker man
05-09-2005, 01:30 AM
I definitely prefer the state seal for the back. It represents the whole state. Something came to mind while I was reading these posts. Why not do like the government did. Have the original and then every year or so many months issue a new design, such as a lighthouse or a chickadee or a moose, then revert back to the original. It would please both sides, I think.

becket
05-09-2005, 06:32 AM
i changed my mind, too. i like option #2, but i also like the idea of changing the back occasionally - maybe once a year. there are enough images to keep us going for quite a while!

Hiker Twins
05-09-2005, 07:10 AM
Is the voting designed so that it knows when a person votes so that you can't vote two or three times?

Mainiac1957
05-09-2005, 07:17 AM
One vote per customer

attroll
05-09-2005, 01:12 PM
Yes the web site software will only let you vote once. Once you vote you can not change you mind either.

brdad
05-09-2005, 02:48 PM
Yes the web site software will only let you vote once. Once you vote you can not change you mind either.

:) :) Obviously designed by a male programmer :) :)

NurseDave
05-09-2005, 03:08 PM
I'm not voting because it's not my coin. From an outsider I hear what you're saying about the lighthouse only represtenting the coastal folks, but to people away from your state, that's kinda what does represent Maine. Plus if it's detailed well, I think the lighthouse will just look way cooler on the coin.

Beach Comber
05-09-2005, 05:37 PM
An additional point to remember is that Portland Headlight, in this case, is the location of the first cache placed in Maine.

Tink
05-09-2005, 11:51 PM
I have to go with the second choice, I really lke the seal best.

attroll
05-10-2005, 12:18 AM
An additional point to remember is that Portland Headlight, in this case, is the location of the first cache placed in Maine.
The portland head light from what I was told was not the first cache in Maine. I was told the first cache in Maine was at the fort next ot it. It was not actually the headlight that was the cache site. I may be wrong though.

tat
05-10-2005, 05:47 AM
It is a very fine point, but the cache has never been just about the lighthouse. It has always been on the grounds near the lighthouse. It has not been in any of the fort buildings either.

But, regardless of where the cache was placed, the lighthouse dominates the area and a little know patch of woods doesn't represent Maine the way a lighthouse does. Wait a minute, of course it does! :)

Hiker Twins
05-10-2005, 08:20 AM
Hmmm....maybe I should have tried voting twice then I wouldn't have asked a dumb question :) !

Rpapaman
05-13-2005, 06:15 PM
I like option 2 because it represents Maine's flag and the history of this great State!

Zoltarus
05-16-2005, 12:46 AM
I like the coast of maine better than the capitol :-)

If the State Seal does win you will need to get permission to use it. I believe that the Governor is the official keeper of the permission slips for such quasi-commercial use of the state seal. One more thing. . . you will probably have to move the number someplace else, because there are rules to follow :-(

I would like to order some either way.

Mainiac1957
05-16-2005, 07:17 AM
The State Seal is public domain. And I'm sure the govenor has better things to do than worry about the likeness of the seal going on a geocoin.

WhereRWe?
05-16-2005, 07:30 AM
The State Seal is public domain. And I'm sure the govenor has better things to do than worry about the likeness of the seal going on a geocoin.

Sorry, Brad, but It looks like Zoltarus is right:

http://www.state.me.us/sos/statseal.html

:(

But perhaps we could get some publicity out of this... Get the Governor's permission and then a photo/press op with you presenting him with a Maine Geocoin? :D

Cache Maine
05-16-2005, 08:26 AM
The vote will close on May 28.

Mainiac1957
05-16-2005, 04:08 PM
I stand humbley corrected. I should have know that the State would make it difficult to do any that appeared easy. :mad:

brdad
05-16-2005, 04:14 PM
Of course, it does say "Commercial use" Maybe someone should contact the state, this vote may not even make a difference if the seal will not be allowed.

And I'll dare be political enough to say that the state sounds like it's worded just right so it can be manupulated the way the highest priced lawyer wants to interpret it. :confused:

tat
05-16-2005, 07:00 PM
The link posted above tells a little bit of how the came to look the way it does today. If we are not allowed to use the current seal, perhaps we could use one of the older, historic designs. I'd like to see the one with the sextant instead of the anchor! (But, that's just shameless cache promotion.) :)

WhereRWe?
05-16-2005, 07:09 PM
The link posted above tells a little bit of how the came to look the way it does today. If we are not allowed to use the current seal, perhaps we could use one of the older, historic designs. I'd like to see the one with the sextant instead of the anchor! (But, that's just shameless cache promotion.) :)

I personally would be EXTREMELY surprised if the Governor's office did not approve the use of the State seal for our geocoin.

We just need to make sure we present the case properly. And I'm waiting for one of the "principals" of the geocoin effort to step up to the plate... :)

Cache Maine
05-16-2005, 07:50 PM
I personally would be EXTREMELY surprised if the Governor's office did not approve the use of the State seal for our geocoin.

We just need to make sure we present the case properly. And I'm waiting for one of the "principals" of the geocoin effort to step up to the plate... :)Principals? There's more than one? :eek:

Letter has been sent.

WhereRWe?
05-17-2005, 06:27 AM
Principals? There's more than one? :eek:

Letter has been sent.

You did note the "" qualifier when I said "Principals", didn't you? :D

Cache Maine
05-17-2005, 08:10 AM
It's time to clear the assumptions. For anyone who does not know, I am the coin project leader. If you have any comments or questions, please ask me directly. Even better yet, PM or email (cameoooooo@hotmail.com) me so that I am notified immediately.

There are many people who have helped me along the way and continue to be an integral part in the process and I thank them for all that they have done. Those people know who they are. :D

As this process picks up speed, I will need additional people to assist in making it a success. If you are interested in offering your assistance, please PM or email (cameoooooo@hotmail.com) me and let me know. I currently have several tasks that need immediate attention. A lot of the work entails bouncing ideas back and worth and coming up with a worthwhile solution, some of the other things involve reviewing the speadsheets I have to ensure preorders/orders are tabulated correctly and investigating how other geocoins are handled. I also need someone to work with this list (http://www.geocities.com/cameoooooo/geocachingmaine.html) to make it perfect, and someone to further research the non-profit aspect. These fine interworkings of the plan are to be handled off this forum. The less people I have to help, the longer the process will take.

For those who help with the process whole heartedly, they will surely reap the benefits in the end!

lefty
05-17-2005, 08:35 AM
Have you guys got a price on each. It would make it easier for my to talk with my accountant (wifey) and get some money up after I find out how much.

BTW I am interested in 3.

attroll
05-17-2005, 11:47 AM
The designer said that he looked into the copyright thing and we can us it.

WhereRWe?
05-17-2005, 01:10 PM
The designer said that he looked into the copyright thing and we can us it.

Yeah, but did you check with the "Coin Project Leader"? LOL!

Cache Maine
05-17-2005, 09:39 PM
Have you guys got a price on each.
I don't have concrete prices at this point lefty, but we are getting there. You can put in a interest request for three and that will cost you about $15.00.

Yeah, but did you check with the "Coin Project Leader"? LOL!It's pretty bad when you have to explain it, but I completely miss the humor in that statement. :confused: Oh well!

WhereRWe?
05-18-2005, 06:30 AM
It's pretty bad when you have to explain it, but I completely miss the humor in that statement. :confused: Oh well!

Not really humor, but a friendly jibe at Rick's statement that the designer had told him it was OK to use the State Seal. Since you're the "Coin Project Leader" and mentioned that you had asked the Governor's office for permission to use it, it should be your decision, not the designer's. :D

we3beans
05-18-2005, 04:09 PM
The designer told several people (including myself) at the event at Geaghan's that it would be ok to use the state seal. As for a decision about the seal the group is making the decision which design to choose so there is no decision by the coin promoter. And there is no harm in having a backup in case the designer was wrong and also as a way to get a little more publicity by contacting the Governor's office.

tat
05-22-2005, 08:16 PM
Wow, my vote counted!! Have you ever felt your vote didn't matter because the othe guy would have won anyway?

I had one other time when my vote would have counted. I lived in Charleston, Maine and the town had a referendum to allow beer sales. I campainged and got the word out to everyone I knew. When the day came, I forgot. Because I forgot, my two roomates forgot. The referendum lost by two votes. My favorite convience store had to close due to lack of business.

Don't forget to vote!!

drbugman
05-22-2005, 08:22 PM
I really like the first image, plus the geocaching history involved. The Maryland Geocaching Society is now going through a similar process are exploring designs.

bh04009
05-22-2005, 08:28 PM
The Great State of Maine has been known for much more than lighthouses yet the inland and non-coastal parts are in much greater need of promotion. Therefore I believe the option 2 better represents our state.

bamageek
05-22-2005, 08:38 PM
Wow both coins look great! I can tell this is going to be a close poll. Whichever you decide I'd love to get in on the ordering!

jkraz
05-22-2005, 08:49 PM
I guess I prefer Option 1, as I think it will be more appreciated by those that find it. To be quite honest, I think the Maine Seal is a bit boring.

FFFarmer
05-22-2005, 09:09 PM
It took the whole family to decide, both were nice, but the seal represents the whole state and the many differnt things about it.

joefrog
05-22-2005, 09:27 PM
As a non-Maine resident, I like how ya'll are sticking together on the seal & the pride it represents. I'm originally from Alabama, and when I think "Maine" I think of lighthouses and lobsters. But as I said, I'm not from Maine... so I refrain from voting! (I just like watching the progress!)

joefrog

aaronpriest
05-22-2005, 10:02 PM
Well, I had to put in the tie-breaker tonight... 37-37! You'll have to guess which one I voted for. The wife and I politely disagreed on which to vote for (but it's my login, and my vote!!!), however we both agreed that they are awesome designs, and we'd love to have some of each. Hopefully, more will be made too with some of the great ideas people have had here (Katahdan, etc.). We'd be interested in about 10 of them, regardless of which great design wins...

Many thanks to all involved in this project!

Planet
05-22-2005, 10:03 PM
Tough choice. I like the idea of the seal representing more than the coastal region, but my heart lies with the coast, since that is where my relatives live. My sister lived in Gorham, near Portland too, and that makes me lean towards the Lighthouse, because I've been there and wandered the grounds. And when one thinks Maine, one thinks lobstah, and and rocky coasts spotted with islands, and Acadia. I do try to take the inland route when coming and going. It's just as pretty. I like the lakes too. I can't decide. So I'll go on the aesthetics of the picture itself and vote for the lighthouse. But I only have relatives in Maine, and I cache in Maine and I visit a lot, and I love Maine very much, but I don't live in Maine. So if it comes to a tie, you don't have to count my vote. :) But please, don't call me a flatlander.
Cache you later,
Planet

Greenebbs
05-22-2005, 10:05 PM
I like option #1

parmachenee
05-22-2005, 10:17 PM
We voted for the Portland HeadLight because we like it better!! :D No long, drawn out explanations. ;)

Pinepoint
05-22-2005, 10:29 PM
We like Option 1. Team Pinepoint

vds
05-22-2005, 11:20 PM
Not even close, #1 by far. Still remember the last time I flew into Portland near sunset and we circled the lighthouse coming in. Breathtaking.

RockyHa
05-22-2005, 11:27 PM
I voted for #2 because it represents the whole state of Maine and not just the southern tourest area.
Rocky

CENT5
05-23-2005, 03:22 AM
Gotta vote for #1 but then again you can toss my vote if you wish as I am from Seattle.

Mainiac1957
05-23-2005, 06:38 AM
I'm sorry, but I thought this was going to be decided but people that live in the state and not coin collectors? I appoligize if I've hurt anyones feelings, but this was discussed at a get together. How do the rest of you feel about this subject? Am I alone on this opinion? Speak up and be heard!

tat
05-23-2005, 06:50 AM
We should at least be very clear who we want to have vote. It looks like we are asking everybody regardless of where they live. With just 5 days left, it may be too late to change the rules.

WhereRWe?
05-23-2005, 07:47 AM
I'm sorry, but I thought this was going to be decided but people that live in the state and not coin collectors? I appoligize if I've hurt anyones feelings, but this was discussed at a get together. How do the rest of you feel about this subject? Am I alone on this opinion? Speak up and be heard!

Sorry, Brad, but the people "from away" were not at the get-together. Nor is there any mention in this thread that the vote was in any way restricted to members from Maine - I just re-read all the posts.

Further, the poll on the start page says nothing about "Mainers only".

And from the poll results, people are pretty much evenly divided on their favorite anyway. I like both designs, and even though I have a preference, I would be happy with either.

Maybe we should just flip a geocoin? :D

EGSG
05-23-2005, 08:00 AM
For what it's worth I whole heartly agree with Brad. But then I wouldn't vote in a poll of an organization that I had no connection with. Kinda like rearranging the furniture in someone elses house.

Haffy
05-23-2005, 08:07 AM
I kind of echo EGSG's words and we didn't make it explcit as to who was allowed to vote on the coin. Both designs are great and it wouldn't matter to me which way the vote went although I went with option# 2.Guess we can leave that decision up to the coin Queen as far as who is elligible to vote.

Smitty & Co.
05-23-2005, 08:08 AM
Went for the State of Maine seal. Great coin for the whole State.

aaronpriest
05-23-2005, 08:14 AM
Aye, I'd have to agree that it would have been better for Mainer's to vote on their first coin exclusively. That being said, most of the folk "from away" wouldn't likely to be voting on a Geocaching in Maine forum if they didn't feel a personal connection in some way, and it wasn't exactly stipulated anywhere. It would be difficult to alter the vote now I think...

Forest_Nymph
05-23-2005, 08:28 AM
I'd prefer the vote to be a vote of a resident. I value the tourists opinion and input, but...They do not know the whole state. There is more to this state than just the coastlline. I believe I voted for the state seal ( anything other than the lighthouse). Keep the lighthouse on the postcards, keychains, coffeemugs, etc etc etc. Just my opinion, I hope no one gets offended by my thoughts.
I encourage all from away to explore our northernmost reaches of Maine. They contain many rural and wilderness areas that rival any place in this country.
(as spoken, IMHO)

Cache Maine
05-23-2005, 08:33 AM
Guess we can leave that decision up to the coin Queen as far as who is elligible to vote.Yes, everyone is allowed to vote. If the vote is "too close to call," I will recalculate the votes disallowing all the out of state voters. (Check real quick in your profile and make sure your "location" says Maine so I don't pull it by mistake!) Sorry for the confusion on this, but as it stands we still have two options. Keep in mind, I'm trying to keep everyone happy here. :)

Thanks to everyone who voted...It was nice to see a lot of people signed in that haven't been here for a while, and to hear from some of them. I still am at awe that the vote has almost doubled due to the email. I think that is wonderful!

By the way, did anyone see the new table on Post #1? That took a few hours, and still needs a little work on my end. That guy named Rick really knows his stuff. When you get a chance, please thank him for all that he does, including putting up with the Coin Queen! :cool:

Beach Comber
05-23-2005, 08:38 AM
Do we really know .....

.....that tourists don't know the northern or entire state? There are many individuals who come to Maine specifically to spend time in the regions of Maine that are not along the coast.

.....that those who live in Maine know the entire state? I know people who live in the north who have never ventured to the southern part of the state and people who live in the southern part of the state who have never ventured north.

I bet there are people from outside of Maine that have seen more of the state than some of us who live here.

EGSG
05-23-2005, 08:58 AM
I think Brad was refering to people that:
Have never been to Maine
Have no intention of ever coming
Have never posted here
But voted

Trezurs*-R-*Fun
05-23-2005, 09:40 AM
Majority rules and I'm happy with that but I have to agree that it should be a Maine majority. While both designs are attractive the Maine seal represents all members, not just coastal communities. When I see a lighthouse on top of Mt.Katadin that will sway me to vote for option number 2. I might even be swayed if I see a lighthouse on the Aroostook river in Caribou or on Moosehead lake in Rockwood. Many Out-of-Staters come here and only see the "Vacation Land" ideology. Out-of-staters may see more of the attractions in this state only because they are on vacation while those that live here are working Monday through Friday. This is the way it should be because when I'm on vacation elsewhere (the grass is always greener on the other side.), I'm inclined to believe I see more of those local attractions than the residence there.:rolleyes:

Beach Comber
05-23-2005, 10:27 AM
My comment was not meant to be judgmental in any way. Was just pointing out that perhaps we cannot make a decision about whether a vote counts based on a visit to the state, plans to visit the state, knowing the state, whether one has traveled around the state, etc. If there is a link to Maine, perhaps it would be most appropriate to be by residency. But it was not indicated as a criteria for voting, so we may need to move forward knowing that a handful of votes are from those outside of Maine. I have no preference.

Cameoooooo - does "too close to call" mean that it is a tie?

Cache Maine
05-23-2005, 11:29 AM
Cameoooooo - does "too close to call" mean that it is a tie?
Either a tie or within two or three votes...if that happens on Saturday when I pull the vote, I will recalculate and disallow all the out of state votes. With those votes disallowed, there should be a winner. In the event of a tie, I'm gonna run away! :eek: Then you can start that missing thread we talked about. :D

Beach Comber
05-23-2005, 11:57 AM
I'll start drafting the thread just in case a tie does present itself - hehehehe

Thanks again for all your hard work on this project!! It will be an awesome coin :D

gpsfun
05-23-2005, 03:00 PM
As with Nurse Dave, Planet and some other non-residents, I will refrain from voting. But FWIW, in the opinion of one person "from away," Portland Head Light is to Maine as the four-colored logo is to geocaching. I'm sure many of the coins will escape from New England, and the lighthouse would cause them to be more highly prized.

Mainiac1957
05-23-2005, 04:52 PM
Well I didn't mean to poke the hornets nest with my comment this morning. I went through and reread all the posts in both threads as well. True it was never stated about the out of state vote, I thought it was implied. Appairently I was mistaken. I'm sorry if I started something, however I still feel that GeocachingMaine where Maine is the operative word should get to pick our first one. I see I'm not exactly alone in this feeling. I too like both designs although I did vote for the state seal feeling it represented the whole state better. I will now go sit in my corner and be quiet.:confused:

Old Man's Team
05-23-2005, 04:57 PM
I'm a "coastie" but, I think it should represent all of Maine. I vote for #2.

coastal cachers
05-23-2005, 05:52 PM
As much as I like the Portland Head Light, I think it more appropriate for coin that represents all of Maine and therefore vote for the Maine seal

Maine Patriot Man
05-23-2005, 06:19 PM
I have to admit it, I was all for design #2 because it reflects the whole state as well. I don't think there are any rules saying we can't have another coin made later, are there??

drbugman
05-24-2005, 06:04 AM
I went ahead and voted because I just moved from Maine to Maryland in April and roughly 80% of my cache finds are in Maine. I'll leave it up to Cameoooooo. If, in her judgment, my vote should be disallowed then please do so.

bullit
05-24-2005, 05:15 PM
Hello from California,

We ran a poll on in our Geocachers of the Bay Area(thegba.net) coin club forums to decide how to cast our single vote.

It came out 11-1 in favor of the Portland Head Light design.

In general we feel that the rest of the country would be more familiar with the Head Light but agree that the Seal covers the entire state. I guess is it akin to putting the Golden Gate bridge on a California coin instead of the Hollywood sign... depends upon your location in the state as to how you feel about it.

Anyway both are great designs and we are looking forward to receiving our coins.

Feel free to remove our one vote since you guys should really decide upon your own design.

aaronpriest
05-24-2005, 06:08 PM
I DEFINITELY would have voted for a good scenic of Mt. Katahdan! And perhaps my wife would have agreed with me... :-P

EGSG
05-24-2005, 08:53 PM
Hello from California,
We ran a poll on in our Geocachers of the Bay Area(thegba.net) coin club forums to decide how to cast our single vote.
It came out 11-1 in favor of the Portland Head Light design.
Feel free to remove our one vote since you guys should really decide upon your own design.

OK it's gone.

Mainepod
05-25-2005, 04:49 PM
Either would look great, but I favor the state seal (arf arf!)

LoriDarlin
05-25-2005, 11:48 PM
I ordered without seeing either coin design. Might be a good thing because now that I've seen them ~ I like them both!! I won't vote though because I think it should be a Maine decision and I will be happy with whatever route you go :)

Good job to all involved....they both look fantastic and its sooooo exciting to have your very own first state coin!!! Keep up the great work!!

Kmdy
05-26-2005, 10:13 AM
I vote for option #2. Both were beautifully done.
Kim

Nuffer
05-26-2005, 03:28 PM
I don't feel the Portland Head is a limiting factor in re publicizing the rest of the State. The other side of the coin is of the State of Maine so it necessarily is inclusive of all sections/regions of our fair State. I think people associate a coastal setting with the State of Maine so it's probably in our best interest to reinforce that condition such that perhaps at least tourism stands to gain. The State Motto of "Dirigo" has much less name recognition therefore Option #1 is the better of the two in my opinion.

Sudonim
05-26-2005, 03:30 PM
How about next year we do one with a Maine landscape (anywhere in Maine) with a cloudless,sunny sky. It can be coin #1 in the fantasy series :p

Trezurs*-R-*Fun
05-26-2005, 03:36 PM
How about next year we do one with a Maine landscape (anywhere in Maine) with a cloudless,sunny sky. It can be coin #1 in the fantasy series :p
You got my vote.

Cache Maine
05-26-2005, 06:43 PM
Sudy, I think that's exactly what your having, a fantasy!!! LOL :D

gpsxplr
05-27-2005, 09:42 AM
I voted for #1. I simply like it the best.