View Full Version : Twin City CITO by Jeremy Bernier/Team Norac GC206T9

pjpreb
11-22-2009, 11:50 AM
There was a nice article (http://www.sunjournal.com/node/585782/) in today's lewiston Sun Journal about the efforts of a geocaching event in cleaning trash out of local walking trails. I was under the weather and not able to attend but I sure am proud and impressed with all the work done by cachers. Nice job all! :)

WhereRWe?
11-22-2009, 06:29 PM
I was under the weather and not able to attend...

Having said that, perhaps your signature was not such a good idea:

"I take life with a grain of salt (and a slice of lime and a shot of tequila) "

LOL!

EMSDanel
11-22-2009, 07:07 PM
There were two other things going on for us this weekend so we did not attend.... wish we could. These events are important and offer the opportunity to "give back" to the community. There is a CITO event along the Penobscot River each year that I have been unable to attend because it conflicts with a committment I have made to the American Cancer Society during that same weekend. Kudos go out to those who organize these events and to those that take part. You represent well the geocaching community.

WhereRWe?
11-22-2009, 07:41 PM
These events are important and offer the opportunity to "give back" to the community.

Um.... Give what back? Yeah - I get the road in front of the house plowed in winter, but that's offset by the amount I have to pay to replace mailboxes.

I fully support charitable giving and volunteerism, but "giving back"????

:D:D

Haffy
11-22-2009, 07:50 PM
Oh come on now you "old curmudgeon"...lol ;)

pjpreb
11-22-2009, 10:34 PM
Having said that, perhaps your signature was not such a good idea:

"I take life with a grain of salt (and a slice of lime and a shot of tequila) "

LOL!

It would take more than a shot of tequila to put me under the weather. (maybe 2 shots...but not one):D:rolleyes::p

Ekidokai
11-23-2009, 12:50 AM
I agree to all of what you guys have said.

brdad
11-23-2009, 07:43 AM
Um.... Give what back? Yeah - I get the road in front of the house plowed in winter, but that's offset by the amount I have to pay to replace mailboxes.

I fully support charitable giving and volunteerism, but "giving back"????

:D:D

Not to mention our prisons are full of people who have taken and taken, and probably some of them are the ones whose trash is all over the road, and yet they're sitting in a warm place with TV and internet and meals every day! Why aren't they out there "giving back"???

But anyway, it's a nice thing for people to do...

WhereRWe?
11-23-2009, 08:11 AM
Oh come on now you "old curmudgeon"...lol ;)

No - I just hate that phrase.

I donate cash to several charities (several of them promoted in these forums: TAT's charity kayak trip, EMSDaniel's pathtags, and even "Pints for Prostates (http://beeradvocate.com/news/1412285)"...). I serve voluntarily on 2 municipal committees, the local library's board of trustees, and the executive board of a regional economic development organization. I don't think I'm a stranger to community service/giving.

But I don't like the term "giving back". I don't owe anyone anything. I have no debts. No mortgage, no car payments, no credit card debt.

And if that makes me a curmudgeon, I'll accept that gladly.

squirrelcache
11-23-2009, 09:40 AM
I can see where the term "giving back" might be inflammatory. Giving is hardest when you don't feel you have anymore to give, feel taken advantage of or that it's not appreciated. In the later, you just re-focus the efforts elsewhere.

My kids don't ask to geocache very often. However, they love a good CITO event. And their only comment after this one was that they want me to bring the truck & trailer next year.

I've always taught my kids that it's good to give back. It's a term that comes from the hip, and I'd never thought about it much. It can be quite humbling to serve a meal at the local soup kitchen, stand in line at a food pantry for someone in need that can't, or set an example for others that it's good to help out and clean up nature.

How does the trash get there my kids will ask. In some cases it's harder to dispose of and people take short cuts. Some folks have various mental defects, or just weren't taught differently. I tell them to be grateful that they know the difference.

This World, Country, State, County, City/Town, neighborhood we all live in is based on community. None of us would be able to live for very long w/out the community. Many of the folks that improperly discard trash are ones that do jobs which I'd rather not do. So if I can set an example and give back to the community effort how ever it is that I'm able.....I do my best. And that is all you can ever expect of someone.

If you're curious about the whole trash/clean-up mentality, check out the ignorant comments that were made by folks at the bottom of the linked article. Even if folks don't physically throw out garbage, their mouths make up for it w/another kind of pollution. It's the mindsets we're looking to change, then the actions will follow.

Give back to the whole in what ever way you can and as often as you can...

pm28570
11-23-2009, 10:23 AM
Interesting little article and as mentioned, totally out-of-touch comments at the bottom of the page. Frankly, I would not call the comments ignorant, as that terms implies a lack of knowledge. More so, I would term it boorish and self-serving.
I do agree with the Thorncraig comment, however. Their loss, I guess.
Well done, Jeremy.

If you're curious about the whole trash/clean-up mentality, check out the ignorant comments that were made by folks at the bottom of the linked article. Even if folks don't physically throw out garbage, their mouths make up for it w/another kind of pollution. It's the mindsets we're looking to change, then the actions will follow.

ltlindian
11-23-2009, 11:37 AM
WTG Jeremy! I wanted to come but we had other commitments and couldn't make the trip. I have been wanting to do the same thing in the Boothbay area, although I don't think there is nearly as much trash as was picked up at your event! Nice work! Ignore the idiotic comments at the end of the article, your event was a success! :)

WhereRWe?
11-23-2009, 06:11 PM
WTG Jeremy! I wanted to come but we had other commitments and couldn't make the trip. I have been wanting to do the same thing in the Boothbay area, although I don't think there is nearly as much trash as was picked up at your event! Nice work! Ignore the idiotic comments at the end of the article, your event was a success! :)

Most of the people in this area and north support Mainiac1957 with his Brewer CITO event. And yes, I've participated a couple of times. These are a great idea, and I hope they continue.

We're also lucky we have a bottle return law. Having lived in Virginia and North Carolina, I can tell you that cans/bottles create a heck-of-a-lot of roadside trash. Sheesh! Just ask Maine expatriate, Haffy! LOL!

Haffy
11-23-2009, 08:44 PM
Yeah no kidding and I am in SC but NC is close enough. I think the bottle return law should be a NATIONAL law but I doubt that will ever happen. At least it keeps most of the bottles and cans off the roadsides for those states who have that law.

EMSDanel
11-23-2009, 09:17 PM
Excellent comments, Squirrelcache. Nicely stated......

WhereRWe?
11-24-2009, 08:01 AM
Excellent comments, Squirrelcache. Nicely stated......

True, his (her?) words in support of charity are very eloquent, but I think there is some confusion between "giving", and "giving back". Giving is great because it's a good thing to do - helping people in need, or less able to "do for themselves". But "giving back" implies that something is owed, or that you got something from someone else and incurred a debt.

I disagree.

squirrelcache
11-24-2009, 09:41 AM
If you google the phrase "giving back" you discover why we often have disagreements or don't see another's viewpoint. It's not a bad thing, just something based our life experiences. Just like the word "ignorant" used earlier....there is often more than one meaning and use for a word. And in that use, I was referring to the other two.

For many...giving back doesn't bring about the feeling of necessity. It often gives us the wonderful visions of Philanthropy, an admirable goal by any standards. Many of the greater Philanthropists I've personally known didn't enjoy the spotlight or speaking of their goals. Sadly, a few misconceptions can erode the invisible benefits of the greatest of efforts.

In the comments section of the Twin cities CITO article, there came about the focus on the choice to use the park for a dropping point. There are many ways you can look at that. They chose to overlook the fact that it was all cleaned up before dark, w/little effort, by using heavy construction equipment. I think next time we should Pile It High in a parking lot right downtown!!! Of course people don't want to see it..... and we'd rather put our efforts into something other than picking up someone else's trash!

Each and every tire we loaded was rolled or loaded in view of cars or neighbors...on purpose, and then I took my over-flowing truck load right through downtown...on the way to the dumpsite. I think the focus should be on Philanthropic efforts....not getting down on perpetrators. And personally......I'm not the type of Philanthropist that likes being used for promotion or self-gain. You won't see me in this event's group picture. ;)

Sudonim
11-24-2009, 10:13 AM
I think that the term "giving back" can have two meanings.
If you have done well and/or been treated well in a community and want to repay that generosity with financial or time donations to better the community, that can be giving back. It doesn't mean that the treatment or assistance you got initially NEEDED to be returned, but your inside sense of obligation makes you WANT to give back in service or financial assistance.
I think in Dan's case, he feels a direct connection with his charity as he gained a benefit from it in a time of need and wants to help others in the future with their needs.

Haffy
11-24-2009, 10:21 AM
Maybe next time I think they ought to pile all the trash collected, in front of city hall and then see what the response is from the citizens of those towns involved. It might make them think twice before making some of the comments that were made,or maybe not. Some people just don't get it.

ltlindian
11-24-2009, 10:50 AM
I agree with Sudonim about 'giving back'. If you live and are successful in a given community, then you have that community to thank (in part) for your success. ie if you own or even work in a coffee shop, most likely the patrons of that coffee shop are people who live in that town. If those customers choose to purchase their coffee from another coffee shop in another town, you may be out a job. So the concept of 'giving back' is not that you "owe" anything but that you give to the community that gives to you.

firefighterjake
11-25-2009, 09:04 AM
I agree with Sudonim about 'giving back'. If you live and are successful in a given community, then you have that community to thank (in part) for your success. ie if you own or even work in a coffee shop, most likely the patrons of that coffee shop are people who live in that town. If those customers choose to purchase their coffee from another coffee shop in another town, you may be out a job. So the concept of 'giving back' is not that you "owe" anything but that you give to the community that gives to you.

Hoo boy . . . are we talking about the Vassalboro coffeeshop again? ;) :D:eek:

ltlindian
11-25-2009, 10:59 AM
Haha hadn't thought of that! lol but I guess they sure are "giving back" (or front, if you will)! LOL