View Full Version : The Green Outdoors!

lexmano
11-23-2009, 02:05 PM
Bill Green filmed a segment on geocaching this morning as part of his Green Outdoors series. He interviewed and went cache hunting with John Call (Hoamdezinahs) and Ed Daggett (Lexmano). He also interviewed Charlie Conley of DeLorme. I presented Charlie with a 2009 Maine Geocoin, not on camera however.

He got information on Delorme challenges, cache containers and lots of general info. He also got to follow the arrow to an ammo can placed for his pleasure.

It will be edited next week and I will update when it will air and provide links to the show once available.

Ekidokai
11-23-2009, 02:21 PM
Fantastic!

TeamHorwich
11-23-2009, 02:25 PM
very cool!

hollora
11-23-2009, 04:16 PM
Ed - glad to see it was done. I had talked to Bill (a old friend from probably close to 30 years ago) but was not strategically located to work with him. Nice to hear he did a segment.

rcwhit
11-23-2009, 05:59 PM
Will be looking forward to your update!

masterson of the universe
11-23-2009, 07:27 PM
Any way to view this off television?

lexmano
11-23-2009, 07:48 PM
Any way to view this off television?

There will be a link to the story on the Channel 6 website once it is available.

Ekidokai
11-23-2009, 11:53 PM
I'm glad he finally did it. I have been pushing for a story on caching with him for a while now.

Waterski
11-24-2009, 08:56 AM
Can't wait to view the segment. I expect we will see many new cachers after it airs, what do you think?

Ekidokai
11-24-2009, 12:04 PM
We have enough now.

lexmano
11-24-2009, 12:22 PM
We have enough now.

Not an enlightened view by a Geocaching Maine board member!! :eek:

What are our rules on impeachment? :D

WhereRWe?
11-24-2009, 01:40 PM

Sheesh! I agree. We have "52 cards-in-the-deck", The Presidents, 101 Dalmations, The States of the Union, The Seven Dwarfs, The Brady Bunch, The Wild Bunch, The Fish of the Kennebec, The 16 Counties in Maine, Robin Hood's Merry Men and many more, but we've barely started!

There's still the Planets of the Solar System, Periodic Table of the Elements, The Letters of the Alphabet, The Books of the Bible, Santa's Reindeer, and many, many more opportunities to places caches. RULost2? and I only went caching for a couple of hours yesterday, but I know we passed 5-6 guardrails without caches.

Get out there and place caches! And the sooner the better, as many facilities (Including WalMart) are eliminating film processing (thus no film cans!)

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

cano
11-24-2009, 02:39 PM
Get out there and place caches! And the sooner the better, as many facilities (Including WalMart) are eliminating film processing (thus no film cans!)

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

We can still use SD cards as a cache containers instead of a film can. Just SD card, nothing more. You find SD card, put it in your camera, make a picture of yourself and put it back :)

WhereRWe?
11-24-2009, 03:17 PM
We can still use SD cards as a cache containers instead of a film can. Just SD card, nothing more. You find SD card, put it in your camera, make a picture of yourself and put it back :)

You know, that's actually a pretty god idea! LOL!

cano
11-24-2009, 03:24 PM
You know, that's actually a pretty god idea! LOL!
I don't want to see any microSD cards in woods though :)

brdad
11-24-2009, 03:58 PM

What are our rules on impeachment? :D

I think I remember making the same statement Ekidokai made, but it was back in 2003! Do I still feel that way? Well ..... actually, let me see what the rules for impeachment are first.... ;)

I will say as a board member, I think it's more important for me to invite anyone who is a cacher to join the site than it is to invite a non-cacher to caching!

dubord207
11-24-2009, 06:39 PM
I've cached now for a little over 2 years, done almost 2800 caches and can count on my 10 fingers the number of times I encountered fellow cachers caching. Like all sports/games, folks come and go and others become more involved (addicted) then others. There's plenty of room out there for more caches and more cachers!

My sense is that Bill Green's shows reach a lot of people and we can expect a lot of interest after the show airs. This is a great site to introduce the new cachers. I think the newbies ought to have a "newbie tutorial" to get them started, kind of "do's and don't's". For example, while I love seeing new caches in the area I would suggest that noobs don't place any caches until they've logged at least 100 caches. The active members here could add suggestions as to preferred types of caches. Permission could be clearly explained so bad placements could be avoided.

I think the game is truly gaining steam and we can expect a huge influx of new cachers. Like it or not, we owe to ourselves, and the newbies, to get them pointed in the right direction right from the start. I pledge to do whatever I can to help in this regard.

WhereRWe?
11-24-2009, 07:28 PM
I think the newbies ought to have a "newbie tutorial" to get them started, kind of "do's and don't's". For example, while I love seeing new caches in the area I would suggest that noobs don't place any caches until they've logged at least 100 caches. .

Sheesh! Another great idea! And I'd also like to see a similar restriction on picking up TB's and geocoins. It's VERY annoying to see what is obviously a "noob" pick up a coin/TB, then lose interest in geocaching before they've dropped the coin/TB in another cache. I've got 2-3 goings/TB's that seem to be in that situation. :(:(

Trick or Treat
11-24-2009, 08:01 PM
That's fantastic! I look forward to tuning in.

shuman road searchers
11-24-2009, 08:35 PM
Were we not all newbies at one time ?

brdad
11-24-2009, 09:47 PM
I think the newbies ought to have a "newbie tutorial" to get them started, kind of "do's and don't's". For example, while I love seeing new caches in the area I would suggest that noobs don't place any caches until they've logged at least 100 caches. The active members here could add suggestions as to preferred types of caches. Permission could be clearly explained so bad placements could be avoided.

I think the game is truly gaining steam and we can expect a huge influx of new cachers. Like it or not, we owe to ourselves, and the newbies, to get them pointed in the right direction right from the start. I pledge to do whatever I can to help in this regard.

There are many of those resources already available on this web site as well as the gc.com web site. Some of the resources on this site are the Anatomy of a Great Cache Hide (http://www.geocachingmaine.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1564), Starting out as a "newbie" . . . aka "The Mistakes I First Made" (http://www.geocachingmaine.org/forum/showthread.php?t=3314), and Ammo Box Camouflage (http://www.geocachingmaine.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1637) articles. You and anyone else are encouraged to create other helpful articles. Hopefully soon the articles section will be a bit easier to navigate. I'd love to see this site develop into more of a resource site with forums as opposed to mostly forums.

Back when I started caching is was suggested you find 10 or 15 caches before placing any! I used to agree with this idea as well, but now I realize some people could place a quality cache without ever finding any and others could find 5000 caches and still not follow basic 'common sense' ideas like using a container fit for the location or getting permission when it should be. All we can do is hope to educate as many as we can that need it before they hide a cache whether it's on their first day or 200th. I think a time restriction would be nice, however. Waiting 6 months or maybe as much as a year before you could hide a cache might not make a difference in the quality of that cache, but it might help insure the placer is going to stick with the game.

Ekidokai
11-25-2009, 02:58 AM
I have to get on here more often.

Everything is good.

I remember way back when I started, 14 months ago. It was an awful lot to take in. The new GC.com website. The new Maine site. Getting the equipment working right. Getting the programs loaded and finding the info to put in them. All the navigating around the forums and the articles. Figuring out all the different trackables and tags. Then figuring out how to actually run the different units.

It was difficult and hard to figure out which way to go and how to find help. That's why I try and take as many people out for a carnival ride as often as I can. Some at the Geocaching 101 event I help put on had been caching for a while but needed more help and didn't know where to go or what to ask.

This website is great. It takes a personal touch a lot of the time to give the people what they need.

If that doesn't work I push them down a steep hill.

dubord207
11-25-2009, 07:28 AM
It might be helpful if Bruce makes a frequent reference to the first article mentioned by brdad when he welcomes newbies...will point them in the right direction from the outset.

WhereRWe?
11-25-2009, 08:05 AM
It might be helpful if Bruce makes a frequent reference to the first article mentioned by brdad when he welcomes newbies...will point them in the right direction from the outset.

Good idea, but I get a "not found" error when I click on Brdad's links. Email me the links Dave, and I'll try and include them in my message to noobs. :D:D

brdad
11-25-2009, 08:37 AM
Good idea, but I get a "not found" error when I click on Brdad's links. Email me the links Dave, and I'll try and include them in my message to noobs. :D:D

I guess I need a newbie warning not to try to cheat when posting links!
The links in my post are fixed and should work for everyone now.

firefighterjake
11-25-2009, 08:54 AM
There are many of those resources already available on this web site as well as the gc.com web site. Some of the resources on this site are the Anatomy of a Great Cache Hide (http://www.geocachingmaine.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1564), Starting out as a "newbie" . . . aka "The Mistakes I First Made" (http://www.geocachingmaine.org/forum/showthread.php?t=3314), and Ammo Box Camouflage (http://www.geocachingmaine.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1637) articles. You and anyone else are encouraged to create other helpful articles. Hopefully soon the articles section will be a bit easier to navigate. I'd love to see this site develop into more of a resource site with forums as opposed to mostly forums.

Back when I started caching is was suggested you find 10 or 15 caches before placing any! I used to agree with this idea as well, but now I realize some people could place a quality cache without ever finding any and others could find 5000 caches and still not follow basic 'common sense' ideas like using a container fit for the location or getting permission when it should be. All we can do is hope to educate as many as we can that need it before they hide a cache whether it's on their first day or 200th. I think a time restriction would be nice, however. Waiting 6 months or maybe as much as a year before you could hide a cache might not make a difference in the quality of that cache, but it might help insure the placer is going to stick with the game.

I really liked that second article . . . I found it extremely well written and helpful. . . which was surprising since it came from a guy that uses a Magellan. ;) :)

JustPJ66
11-25-2009, 08:59 AM
As a newbie, there is ALOT to take in, and the articles on this site have been very helpful (working links or not hehe) Without a doubt newbies will make mistakes, but with enocouragement from the "old timers" in the sport to do things and do them the right way will foster a enthusiasm for the sport.

WhereRWe?
11-25-2009, 10:03 AM
OK - I added the 3 articles to my welcome message and emailed a copy to Brdad and Dubord for their comments. :D:D

TRF
11-25-2009, 10:40 AM
As a newbie, there is ALOT to take in, and the articles on this site have been very helpful (working links or not hehe) Without a doubt newbies will make mistakes, but with enocouragement from the "old timers" in the sport to do things and do them the right way will foster a enthusiasm for the sport.

It is awesome that you have joined the sport of geocaching but beware of the pitfalls of becoming a "conformist" to those who have a single view of the sport. "Oldtimers" don't necessarily spout gospel. No number of "finds" seperates an expert from a novice. No amount of years makes one a better cacher than another. Carefully weigh all the information you get and apply it to YOUR style. One of the greatest aspects of geocaching is that it caters to each individual and their style. Most importantly remember to have fun.

The information on these forums is great and an awesome vault of information. Use it to enhance YOUR enjoyment of the sport.

Cache On!!

JustPJ66
11-25-2009, 10:44 AM
It is awesome that you have joined the sport of geocaching but beware of the pitfalls of becoming a "conformist" to those who have a single view of the sport. "Oldtimers" don't necessarily spout gospel. No number of "finds" seperates an expert from a novice. No amount of years makes one a better cacher than another. Carefully weigh all the information you get and apply it to YOUR style. One of the greatest aspects of geocaching is that it caters to each individual and their style. Most importantly remember to have fun.

The information on these forums is great and an awesome vault of information. Use it to enhance YOUR enjoyment of the sport.

Cache On!!

So far we are having great fun.. Thanks!

dubord207
11-25-2009, 12:58 PM
Bruce sent me what he proposes or actually may already be sending to the newcomers and it's perfect. Easy links to several great articles, even those written by Magellan users.

This is a terrific resource to new cachers. Hope they appreciate the effort of the writers and by Bruce in welcoming them to the game!:)

WhereRWe?
11-25-2009, 01:26 PM
Bruce sent me what he proposes or actually may already be sending to the newcomers and it's perfect. Easy links to several great articles, even those written by Magellan users.

The message is the same as I've been sending for months - with the addition of Brdad's links. :D:D

brdad
11-25-2009, 03:26 PM
I agree, that is a great welcome message.

But don't anyone let this go to your head. I refuse to agree with Dan on a regular basis! :p

Haffy
11-25-2009, 04:16 PM
I never did get to see the original welcome message or the updated one either and I was on the original board. ;)

WhereRWe?
11-25-2009, 04:34 PM
I never did get to see the original welcome message or the updated one either and I was on the original board. ;)

This has nothing to do with the Advisory Board. This is something I'm doing as an individual. :p:p

pjpreb
11-25-2009, 05:49 PM
I guess I need a newbie warning not to try to cheat when posting links!
The links in my post are fixed and should work for everyone now.

I always wondered if you were the weakest link...:D:p

dubord207
11-26-2009, 08:01 AM
Hold the presses! Now this is cause for me to say Happy Thanksgiving! It's quite okay Dave, I agree with you "most" of the time! Happy Turkey Day everybody!:)

I agree, that is a great welcome message.

But don't anyone let this go to your head. I refuse to agree with Dan on a regular basis! :p

JustKev
11-26-2009, 11:09 AM
I always wondered if you were the weakest link...:D:p

Just pray he's not the missing link.....:eek:

lexmano
11-27-2009, 08:49 PM
My father just called me to tell me the promos for the show are running. The show will air during the Monday, 11/30/09, nightly news on channel 6.

hollora
11-27-2009, 10:05 PM
Ah, now to get him to go with someone to the sight of my Where's This Photo - he wants to see Maine - take him there - a ton of what he could say about that location (in General)!

TRF
11-28-2009, 08:46 AM
I saw the promo last evening. Looking forward to seeing the video article.

Opalsns
11-29-2009, 11:08 AM
My father just called me to tell me the promos for the show are running. The show will air during the Monday, 11/30/09, nightly news on channel 6.

Thanx for the update, Lexamo.
Looking forward to seeing you on the show!

Opalsns

Haffy
11-29-2009, 11:56 AM
Hope someone will post a link to watch it for us out-of-towners....

hollora
11-29-2009, 09:23 PM
Hope someone will post a link to watch it for us out-of-towners....

Promo was on tonight too - Here is the link for 2 out of Bangor - http://www.wlbz2.com/ And probably better - the link for 6 out of Portland - http://www.wcsh6.com/

fins2right
11-30-2009, 07:18 PM
Promo was on tonight too - Here is the link for 2 out of Bangor - http://www.wlbz2.com/ And probably better - the link for 6 out of Portland - http://www.wcsh6.com/

Then check out the "Bill Greene" section of the website. The story was really cool and he did a good job explaining geocaching in under 3 minutes.

Haffy
11-30-2009, 08:22 PM
What was the heading for the story? I went to the site and couldn't find it even under Bill Green. Maybe I wasn't looking in the right place.

TeamHorwich
11-30-2009, 08:24 PM
I don't think it gets posted until later - nice job Ed and John...very well done!

pjpreb
11-30-2009, 08:46 PM
Very well done Ed & John!! :)

Here's the link (http://www.wcsh6.com/life/programming/local/bill_greens_maine/story.aspx?storyid=111693&catid=144) to the story

hollora
11-30-2009, 09:10 PM
Thumbs up! Thanks for the link pjpreb..........

Sudonim
11-30-2009, 09:17 PM
Good story, nice description for people that don't know about the sport.

bfrueger
11-30-2009, 09:21 PM
It is on the Channel 6 website. I went to the website and searched for geocaching and it came right up. Lasts about 2 1/2 minutes.

masterson of the universe
12-01-2009, 12:15 AM
So what's Bill's caching name?

pm28570
12-01-2009, 09:10 AM
Many thanks to Ed & John.....Maine Geocachers were well represented. Well done!

JustPJ66
12-01-2009, 09:13 AM
Yes I second that good job !

I havent had the pleasure of meeting all you folks yet but now at least 2 of you will LOOK familiar! hehe

dubord207
12-01-2009, 05:43 PM
Great publicity for our game and well done John and Ed. Hey Ed, did you take Bill out for a pizza and Shipyard after that grueling trek?:)

Trick or Treat
12-01-2009, 05:45 PM
Saw it on the 5:30am news. Awesome job!

lexmano
12-01-2009, 10:30 PM
No Dan we did not go out for a pint after filming, some folks can cache without that incentive!!:D Plus, we wrapped up filming at 9:30AM, not really Miller Time.

Bill has not created an ID yet. I think he should. Maybe The Green Hornet?

Thanks for all the positive comments, it was fun to do and hopefully he will be interested in following up in the future.

Ekidokai
12-02-2009, 01:41 AM
Very nice. Perfect subjects.

Mainiac1957
12-02-2009, 07:09 AM
No Dan we did not go out for a pint after filming, some folks can cache without that incentive!!:D Plus, we wrapped up filming at 9:30AM, not really Miller Time.

Some folks like Guinness on their Cheerios after all....:eek::p:D

Nice article. Really put caching in a very positive light.

Opalsns
12-02-2009, 09:15 AM
Great Job and Fun to watch,

pjpreb
12-02-2009, 02:07 PM
Some folks like Guinness on their Cheerios after all....:eek::p:D

In college we called that "beer-ios" :D:rolleyes::)

Team V3
12-06-2009, 12:30 PM
Just checked out the video today. Sorry for being out of the loop. We are still getting settled in here. Great job on the clip. I love it when I see positive footage on our hobby.

Ekidokai
12-06-2009, 02:24 PM
I keep hearing phrases like "I love it when I see positive footage on our hobby." Am I missing something or has there been a lot or any bad press on geocaching? I have never seen any.

I just heard an interview with someone from Groudspeak on the travel show on the radio.

Haffy
12-06-2009, 04:34 PM
There has been a lot of negative press in the past about geocaching,especially the caches that have to be blown up by the bomb squads because the owners didn't get permission or hid them on bridges or disguised them to look like pipe bombs. Just do a search on GC.com and you'll find many bad instances. Some of them might have been blown out of proportion(no pun intended) but I tend to think there are more good instances than bad ones but the bad ones always seem to get all the attention.

Team V3
12-06-2009, 05:13 PM
Honestly it does not get much exposure at all. But I have heard things about the bomb scares turning out to be caches as well as seen people refer to it as littering in the woods.

Team V3
12-06-2009, 05:13 PM
I think more people need to know about it and the POSITIVE impact cachers have.

hollora
12-06-2009, 05:18 PM
If you want to see positive - go to Anchorage AK - see the quality brochure the tourist bureau has done about Geocaching in Anchorage (and with Groundspeak permission). These folks want you to come Geocache in their city - and State.