View Full Version : Celebrate 2009

Kaching Karen
11-29-2009, 08:17 PM
It's posted! Celebrate 2009 - "This Ain't No Mega Event" is posted!

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=ce715629-192e-41bc-b3b3-32ebeba67eb2

Hope you all can make it!

WhereRWe?
11-29-2009, 08:35 PM
It's posted! Celebrate 2009 - "This Ain't No Mega Event" is posted!

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=ce715629-192e-41bc-b3b3-32ebeba67eb2

Hope you all can make it!

Well, since RULost2? plans to retire in January, we should both be there! LOL!

And I was just thinking...

We need a December/Christmas event. Anyone want to start planning for next year? :D:D

hollora
11-29-2009, 09:29 PM
Surely will see Karen in January. Thank KK for planning the event.

Mainiac1957
11-29-2009, 10:31 PM
Been to all the others so why would I miss this years...

Ekidokai
11-29-2009, 11:59 PM
I'll be the with bells on.

masterson of the universe
12-01-2009, 12:44 AM
I'll be the with bells on.

Captain Chaos was pretty good. What kind of superhero / bad guy wears bells though?

Ekidokai
12-01-2009, 11:20 AM
Him doesn't like it when you make fun of me.

attroll
12-02-2009, 02:16 PM
I am hoping to make this event and if not I will make Bruce's event in February. These will most likely be the last two events I will have the opportunity to attend in the year 2010 until the end of October.

Ekidokai
12-02-2009, 02:18 PM
Just promise us that you will be careful and take care of yourself.

attroll
12-05-2009, 10:27 AM
Just promise us that you will be careful and take care of yourself.
Of course.

WhereRWe?
12-05-2009, 04:59 PM
I am hoping to make this event and if not I will make Bruce's event in February. These will most likely be the last two events I will have the opportunity to attend in the year 2010 until the end of October.

So, does that mean you're hosting an event in October? :D:D

WhereRWe?
12-05-2009, 05:01 PM

So, does that mean you're hosting an event in October? :D:D

(We'll be posting the info for WWWWWW6 in a couple of weeks.)

attroll
12-06-2009, 09:36 AM
Maybe you should be hosting an event for me in October.

Sudonim
12-06-2009, 02:02 PM
Maybe you should be hosting an event for me in October.

On top of Katahdin?

attroll
12-06-2009, 02:57 PM
On top of Katahdin?
Sure, how many geocachers do you think will be there at this event?

Ekidokai
12-06-2009, 03:53 PM
50 maybe a few more.

hollora
12-06-2009, 05:21 PM
Sure, how many geocachers do you think will be there at this event?

Well, if the timing was right this might be the incentive to get me to the top. I know for sure, I would like this staged and go to Chimney Pond Campground for the first step. That is the furthest I have made it - but I would love to try for the top.

With good friends, encouragement and an early start - I might be able to make it.:) Certainly, I have already done more than I ever dreamed!;):D

tat
12-06-2009, 06:31 PM
Count me in!

hollora
12-06-2009, 08:31 PM
Count me in!

Even if you won't push me TAT LOL:):D:):eek:;)

vicbiker
12-06-2009, 08:51 PM
Certainly, I have already done more than I ever dreamed!;):D In more ways then can be counted...I'd push you up if someone will push me...

dubord207
12-07-2009, 07:44 AM
I'd go in a heartbeat! Rick, when do you realistically expect to be at the mountain? Wonder if Bill Green would like to hike up with a gang of us? I'd opt for staging at Chimney Pond when we know Rick's close. Most of us can easily make it up and back in a day from there.

I bet this would be a hoot!:)

hollora
12-07-2009, 05:41 PM
I'd go in a heartbeat! Rick, when do you realistically expect to be at the mountain? Wonder if Bill Green would like to hike up with a gang of us? I'd opt for staging at Chimney Pond when we know Rick's close. Most of us can easily make it up and back in a day from there.

I bet this would be a hoot!:)

Yes it would, and I have a non-caching friend who would like to join a group on an ascent. There are caches to do too (Earth type I believe).

dubord207
12-07-2009, 06:42 PM
Well, whatever is up there now for caches will change dramatically if we can get Mike (Ekidokai) to go. How about a cache every 600 feet up the Hunt Trail or the Saddle and then down Knife Edge? Whadda you think Mike, is that doable for you?;)

Sudonim
12-07-2009, 07:15 PM
No cache containers allowed in the park, but Northwoods Explorer and others have put out some great earthcaches. My wife, my dad and I hiked the Hunt trail last year and got the cache at the top of the mountain. Great climb. The only drag was two weeks later two new caches posted near the trail I was on.
Guess I gotta go back up.

Ekidokai
12-07-2009, 07:53 PM
I have been stocking up on 5 gallon pails to put out. I'm in.

hollora
12-07-2009, 10:06 PM
Again - no caches on the trails but the Earthcaches do work. I would love to see an organized effort to get a bunch of us to go AND hopefully it would not conflict with GUIE (aka Get Useless In Eustis) and who knows - any way to make this an event and we might have a good contingent for an Event and a hike to meet Attroll!

Ekidokai
12-07-2009, 10:40 PM
So how far is it? How many caches do I need to put together.

attroll
12-07-2009, 11:29 PM
I have no clue when I would arrive at Katahdin. I will finish when I finish. I am more worried about finishing. I will buy my Amtrak ticket and make reservation for my overnight stay down there for my start next week. That will pretty much be my no return point for this trek. I am guessing that I will finish sometime in the first couple weeks of September. It all depends on a few things though. I may hike faster then I expect after I get my trail legs. I might have to much fun and slow down or just not be a fast hiker. It also depends on how many town stop overs I have, we call these zero days because they are days which we do zero miles.

It would be very hard to plan a event on the day of my completion. I would only know about a week before my completion day and that would be only a good guess.

hollora
12-07-2009, 11:32 PM
I have no clue when I would arrive at Katahdin. I will finish when I finish. I am more worried about finishing. I will buy my Amtrak ticket and make reservation for my overnight stay down there for my start next week. That will pretty much be my no return point for this trek. I am guessing that I will finish sometime in the first couple weeks of September. It all depends on a few things though. I may hike faster then I expect after I get my trail legs. I might have to much fun and slow down or just not be a fast hiker. It also depends on how many town stop overs I have, we call these zero days because they are days which we do zero miles.

It would be very hard to plan a event on the day of my completion. I would only know about a week before my completion day and that would be only a good guess.

And lest us not forget the proximity of Eustis to the AT.......and the possibilities.....ah, there is a date already set for that event in 2010! So - just keep us posted oh great hiker and perhaps it will all just sort of fall together...don't you think?!

pm28570
12-08-2009, 09:12 AM
In keeping with tradition, we've hijacked Karen's event thread :( Hope to see many of you there. This concludes this public service announcement. :)

On a sincere note, Rick.....I wish only the best for you. Safe travels, experiences you wouldn't otherwise have, and a couple of trees, every night, for your hammock. I hope you achieve your goals, whatever they may be. Enjoy and please....keep us informed.

hollora
12-08-2009, 10:08 AM
And back to the regularily scheduled programing - KK's Event is always a nice one. Don't forget to send her some photos for the slide show.

dubord207
12-08-2009, 06:34 PM
OKay, I'll start a new thread but no matter what, Eustis is first for Di and I and if it works out from a timing standpoint, then it would be terrific to be with Rick for the finale.

Kaching Karen
12-30-2009, 12:05 AM
So, what new toys did everyone get for Christmas or other holiday events? I know I'll be bringing my laptop to my "Celebrate 2009" event so that someone (Ohhhhh Mainiac1957) can show me how to load caches into my TomTom.

The nice thing about this event is that we have room for people to set up their gadgets and show them off.

I'm getting ready for the kid's cache. I think I'm going to make a Signal the Frog pinata and let the kids bash the heck out of it. They'll have to use their gps to find clues to find Signal.

Send your pictures of the caching year to me! Hollora does an excellent job of showing off the slides.

Mainiac1957
12-30-2009, 07:20 AM
I will be there and show you what cool things it can do.:D:cool:

Ekidokai
12-30-2009, 10:22 PM
I need that Tomtom thing too.

Kaching Karen
01-25-2010, 09:14 AM
Now that I have one event under my belt (What fun!) I need to get started on the next.

Food list so far.....

Oh Dang... won;t work here. It's posted on the Event listing. I'll work on posting it here.

Kaching Karen
01-26-2010, 07:45 AM
Tat will be hosting a winter camping display. What happened to winter? I'll let him post what to expect.

eebee
01-26-2010, 11:53 AM
Just confirmed that I'll be making it to the event on Sunday with Davidson 7. I'm looking forward to seeing everyone! :)

benandtina
01-26-2010, 12:19 PM
Just confirmed that I'll be making it to the event on Sunday with Davidson 7. I'm looking forward to seeing everyone! :)

I am very glad you posted that. I kept thinking the 31st was Saturday. When I saw your post I double checked the calendar. Thank you for preventing me from showing up a day early :) lol

Ekidokai
01-26-2010, 04:22 PM
Oh that would be bad. I do that a lot. usually a week early though.

Pot Luck Items so far.
Plates, bowls, utensils, napkins Kaching Karen
Ham Dubord207
Loaf Bread Agate68
white chili surfsupdiverdown
“world Famous Chili” MsToastmaster
Meatballs in Sauce & 10 one liter bottles of soda Ekidokai
Crockpot MacChees2 Hollora

JustPJ66
01-26-2010, 05:43 PM
JustKev and I are bringing a stew and some homemade pickles

WhereRWe?
01-26-2010, 07:42 PM
JustKev and I are bringing a stew and some homemade pickles

Sheesh! RULost2? and I hadn't planned on staying long enough to eat, but if we donate a box of cookies or something, can I have some homemade pickles???

;);)

rcwhit
01-26-2010, 08:35 PM
We plan to bring a Crockpot of baked beans. Will bring bowls and spoons to eat them with. I might even share!

Ekidokai
01-26-2010, 08:38 PM
Cookies!! I love cookies!!

Ekidokai
01-26-2010, 08:56 PM
Updated list.
Brown sugar fudge Eebee
Buffalo chicken dip Ben and Tina
Beef stew 4ccnhikers
Ham Dubord207
Loaf Bread Agate68
Meatballs in Sauce & soda Ekidokai
Crockpot MacChese Hollora
Baked beans Rcwhit
Cookies? WhereRwe? & RULost2?
Stew and homemade pickles Just PJ66 & JustKev

dubord207
01-26-2010, 09:45 PM
There are 31 people who have indicated they will be coming to this fine event. 12 have indicated they will be bringing a dish. So..... what are the rest bringing, just their appetites? C'mon folks, everybody has a favorite dish and twelve of us are not going to bring enough food to feed the 30 plus people that have signed in on geo.com. My guess, is that with spouses and kids there are usually closer to 50 people that will be there. Time for more chefs to step up to the plate! I'll bring as big a ham as I can find, but not a whole pig!:D

brdad
01-26-2010, 09:49 PM
Sometimes, we don't post what we're bringing because we don't know. I'm not even 100% sure we're coming, so I have not even posted. But I am hoping we are.

hollora
01-27-2010, 01:23 AM
dubord has a point but I do think everything should be posted on the Geocaching dot com page. Posting it here is fine BUT there may be folks coming from afar who know nothing of this site. Thank you Dan (dubord) for making sure your post was on both places.

brday you are right to not post until you are sure you are coming - to post you are bringing a pot of bean and then not make it - well, it skews the numbers so to speak. So I agree, no one needs to post or comment until they are sure and post their "will attend".

I am not sure if I posted on this GCM site but I am bringing MacNCheese. It will be so anyone who is vegetarian and does dairy may eat it - but it will not be gluten free (a dietary problem I am learning is effecting more and more).

And - speaking of pot luck Dan's post was important. When you bring a dish for pot luck that means more than a serving for 2.

Karen's event has traditionally had a good assortment of food and usually plenty. I do know drinks have been a bit short and suggested to a single person attending they bring drinks (some people that is easy and they just don't cook).........so I think that person is bringing drinks (sign up my friend/on the event page).

Thank you to everyone who has signed up here or on the event page.........but if you haven't - send us a clue of what you are going to bring please. I know Kaching Karen would appreciate it - she needs tables for all this delicious stuff too.

hollora
01-27-2010, 01:27 AM
Updated list.
Brown sugar fudge Eebee
Buffalo chicken dip Ben and Tina
Beef stew 4ccnhikers
Ham Dubord207
Loaf Bread Agate68
Meatballs in Sauce & soda Ekidokai
Crockpot MacChees2 Hollora
Baked beans Rcwhit
Cookies? WhereRwe? & RULost2?
Stew and homemade pickles Just PJ66 & JustKev

Ah eki - 12/1, I posted on GC.com I was bringing CrockPot MacNCheese

Again - coordinating back and forth is hard - but we must remember this event is for all including guest to maine and they may not be part of GCM

Ekidokai
01-27-2010, 02:49 AM
OK, Hollora I don't know what your talking about? Is there a question? Or comment?

Kaching Karen
01-27-2010, 07:28 AM
There are 31 people who have indicated they will be coming to this fine event. 12 have indicated they will be bringing a dish. So..... what are the rest bringing, just their appetites? C'mon folks, everybody has a favorite dish and twelve of us are not going to bring enough food to feed the 30 plus people that have signed in on geo.com. My guess, is that with spouses and kids there are usually closer to 50 people that will be there. Time for more chefs to step up to the plate! I'll bring as big a ham as I can find, but not a whole pig!:D

It really doesn't matter too much what people bring. It always works out. A couple of things....

:)Send me your pictures for a slide show!

:):)There will be an outdoor camping display. Good for newbies and people who want to do it on the cheap.

:) :) :)Tables aren't necessary. There's plenty at the school.

:) :) :) :) There has been 57 people at the event for the past two years.

JustPJ66
01-27-2010, 11:20 AM
We will be bringing my mom with us and she insists on bringing something too so add chips to our list.

tat
01-27-2010, 01:30 PM
I'm bringing corn bread to go with the chili.

Hope it comes out better than last time. :eek:

hollora
01-27-2010, 10:31 PM
I'm bringing corn bread to go with the chili.

Hope it comes out better than last time. :eek:

Chili or cornbread? LOL ;) Chili makes pretty good spagetti sauce! ;)

hollora
01-27-2010, 10:32 PM
OK, Hollora I don't know what your talking about? Is there a question? Or comment?

Sorry Mike - didn't see that you had it on the list - guess I need my glasses changed! ;)

tat
01-29-2010, 02:08 PM
It's not spaghetti sauce, it's Cincinnati Chili!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cincinnati_chili

attroll
01-29-2010, 06:53 PM
It's not spaghetti sauce, it's Cincinnati Chili!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cincinnati_chili

I can confirm that. Your chili makes excellent spaghetti sauce.

rcwhit
01-31-2010, 08:13 AM
Hope to see ALL of you in Windsor in about 7 hours! :D

JustPJ66
01-31-2010, 08:34 AM
Made an over abundance of Needhams (potato candy) this week. Hope nobody minds if i bring those along too.

Note: If you like them you had better get to the plate before my brother does!! He LIKES them!! hehe

rcwhit
01-31-2010, 08:55 AM
Made an over abundance of Needhams (potato candy) this week. Hope nobody minds if i bring those along too.

Note: If you like them you had better get to the plate before my brother does!! He LIKES them!! hehe

I have lots of doggy bags ready! :D (Just in case I don't eat them all there!) :eek:

dubord207
01-31-2010, 06:56 PM
Just returned home. Another great turnout for this mid-winter event with great food...and pleny of it too!

Well done, again, Karen! Great to meet new folks, put faces to names and catch up with "old" friends!:)

JustPJ66
01-31-2010, 07:47 PM
had a wonderful time. Thanks to everyone who worked to put this together.

vicbiker
01-31-2010, 09:56 PM
Thanks Karen and "friends" for another great event.

Fins_Up
01-31-2010, 11:25 PM
We had a wonderful time and really enjoyed meeting everyone. Ekidokai is not near as scary without the makeup. Great job Karen!!!

Kaching Karen
01-31-2010, 11:38 PM
Just "Thanks" for now. Over 80 people were there. I'm tired... off to bed!

Ekidokai
01-31-2010, 11:47 PM
Holy Mega Event Karen!

Really had a good time. Had a fantastic trip with caching friends. Thanks for making this one a lot easier to get to than yours last weekend.

Really enjoyed seeing all the old faces and meeting many of the new ones. Sorry I couldn't talk to everyone.

Fantastic turn out.

hollora
02-01-2010, 12:27 AM
A ton of fun - weekend #2 with KK as a hostess - not much better..............

masterson of the universe
02-01-2010, 08:10 AM
Had a good time as with any event. Always nice to put a face to some of the new names out there and spend some time socializing. Thanks for all the hard work in getting this put together Karen.