View Full Version : Stud Mill Road Run, Equivalents?

CARoperPhotography
11-29-2009, 11:16 PM
Does anyone know of any massive high density cache runs around the country that are similar to our own Stud Mill Rd. run, outside of Bangor by Ekidokai? I am looking into setting up a similar run that is more accessible to cachers without having to drive 3.5 hours North.... and I would like to take a gander at other similar areas.

Thanks,

~Chadd (Serious Tool)

Sudonim
11-29-2009, 11:48 PM
Look at the rails-to-trails around Conway NH. You can't drive cache to cache, but if you have a bike, or like to walk, you can get 100/day on several different routes. If you want to HIKE instead, Moat Mountain to the west of North Conway has a slew of caches.

CARoperPhotography
11-30-2009, 12:08 AM
Gotcha! I know of both of these spots. The rails to trails runs into Fryeburg as well, I believe? I am looking for for auto accessible caches etc.

NativeMainer
11-30-2009, 12:40 AM
I've done some of the New Hampshire Progressive Rail Trail system. I, along with another cacher, did 52 caches in one day, from about 6:30 AM to about 5:00 PM. I stopped because I got my shoes wet early in the day and my feet were getting VERY sore. I ended up with blisters on the bottom of my feet for a couple of days.

If you do this trail, take along an extra pair of dry shoes. It had been raining the day before we did the trail and some of the tracks were submerged (no deeper than my shin, but there was no way around it). If I had some dry shoes, I probably could've done some more caches before the daylight gave out.

NativeMainer
11-30-2009, 12:52 AM
A couple of years ago, I spotted similar trails up in Nova Scotia (in the Yarmouth area) and New Brunswick (near Moncton). I didn't look into them that closely, but I think one was a hiking trail filled with caches and one is along side of the road (similar to Stud Mill). Probably outside your parameters a bit, Chadd, but I thought I'd just throw that out there.

brdad
11-30-2009, 08:10 AM
Gc.com is working on a new virtual cache type just for this purpose. You just log the numbers of all the telephone poles as you drive by. If you can't read the numbers it is okay to just guess. If you feel the telephone poles are too far apart you are allowed to average the numbers on the two poles on either side. These are green caches because you don't waste all the extra gas by stop and go driving. If you don't feel like going out, you are allowed to use the street view feature of Google Maps to visit all the nice telephone poles. Soon street lights, road signs, and litter will be added to the loggable item list. :p:p:p:p

Seriously, while I may not agree with numbers caching, I do understand attempting goals like 100 in a day. However, I feel when you intentionally place caches for the purpose of making it easier to complete these tasks, it makes that goal so much more valuable. When we know someone who completes a marathon, we feel proud of them, it is a great accomplishment. But what if they changed the length of the marathon from 26 miles to 26 feet?

TRF
11-30-2009, 09:00 AM
Ahhhhhh, I think I'm catching on here. There would be no accomplishment if I walked up to the top of a mountain following a path. The accomplishment would belong only to the person who blazed the path in the first place. Why would anyone walk the Appalachian Trail then? How come every toy comes with assembly directions, wouldn't it be an "accomplishment" if we assembled the toy without directions. What if they did change the length of a marathon? ( Wouldn't it be called something else?) Why not have a 5K race, ohhh, nevermind, they do but what I'm reading is that it really isn't an accomplishment. Sorry folks who have ever done a 5K race, these are diminishing the effort of only "true" runners therefore you must stop and not take pride in your ability or desire to participate. Truly sorry. No shortcuts. (not that it is but some perceive it to be) Either adapt or quit running/participating please!!

WHY can't we let people enjoy their personal "accomplishments" without diminishing them continuously? Someone wants to blaze a path to a beautiful pond then why stop them? Why tell the next person who follows that path that they have achieved nothing?

You may have addressed what an accomplishment is but it has raise alot more questions.

hollora
11-30-2009, 10:01 AM
It appears their may be a similar trail somewhere near Salt Lake City - the site of this year's Geocoinfest. Someone mentioned doing 187 in a day.

Ekidokai
11-30-2009, 12:40 PM
Somewhere in Colorado 413 can be done in a day.

CARoperPhotography
11-30-2009, 02:32 PM
logging random telephone poles? I hope you are being sarcastic.....

I look at big trails with caches just for the sake of cache density and numbers to be intriguing and fun in their own right. My most enjoyable and envigorating cache experience so far has been going with two close caching friends to Bangor and hitting 131 in a day on Stud Mill. We had a blast! It's an experience all in it's own.

Thanks for the spots Ekidokai. I'll look up the CO and UT runs. Good post TRF!!! Very good point

CARoperPhotography
11-30-2009, 02:36 PM
Look up GC1YWM8 in Utah and then view it in Google Maps.... WOW!!!

fins2right
11-30-2009, 10:23 PM
Not only was that road crazy, but did you see the number of caches across the lake into Provo? That's hardcore cache hiding. :eek:

Trick or Treat
11-30-2009, 10:42 PM
Ahhhhhh, I think I'm catching on here. There would be no accomplishment if I walked up to the top of a mountain following a path. The accomplishment would belong only to the person who blazed the path in the first place. Why would anyone walk the Appalachian Trail then? How come every toy comes with assembly directions, wouldn't it be an "accomplishment" if we assembled the toy without directions. What if they did change the length of a marathon? ( Wouldn't it be called something else?) Why not have a 5K race, ohhh, nevermind, they do but what I'm reading is that it really isn't an accomplishment. Sorry folks who have ever done a 5K race, these are diminishing the effort of only "true" runners therefore you must stop and not take pride in your ability or desire to participate. Truly sorry. No shortcuts. (not that it is but some perceive it to be) Either adapt or quit running/participating please!!

WHY can't we let people enjoy their personal "accomplishments" without diminishing them continuously? Someone wants to blaze a path to a beautiful pond then why stop them? Why tell the next person who follows that path that they have achieved nothing?

You may have addressed what an accomplishment is but it has raise alot more questions.

Two thumbs up, my friend.

masterson of the universe
12-01-2009, 12:02 AM
Gc.com is working on a new virtual cache type just for this purpose. You just log the numbers of all the telephone poles as you drive by. If you can't read the numbers it is okay to just guess. If you feel the telephone poles are too far apart you are allowed to average the numbers on the two poles on either side. These are green caches because you don't waste all the extra gas by stop and go driving. If you don't feel like going out, you are allowed to use the street view feature of Google Maps to visit all the nice telephone poles. Soon street lights, road signs, and litter will be added to the loggable item list. :p:p:p:p

Seriously, while I may not agree with numbers caching, I do understand attempting goals like 100 in a day. However, I feel when you intentionally place caches for the purpose of making it easier to complete these tasks, it makes that goal so much more valuable. When we know someone who completes a marathon, we feel proud of them, it is a great accomplishment. But what if they changed the length of the marathon from 26 miles to 26 feet?

HAHAHAHA!!! I haven't laughed this hard in a while... Thanks.

NativeMainer
12-01-2009, 12:29 AM
Look up GC1YWM8 in Utah and then view it in Google Maps.... WOW!!!

Holy cow! Someone's been busy.

dubord207
12-01-2009, 05:31 PM
With Fairpoint, internet access has been an in and out affair over the past five days. Supposedly it's fixed now.

Just read this thread and Dave, Dave, Dave, Dave. This is the holiday season, must you trash folks that are into micro-madness or SMR like series? We know you don't embrace those type of caches and that's fine. And I did find you're post humorous but geeze-Louise, I don't think we should discourage anybody that's trying to contribute to the game. If a fellow cacher took aim at your Battleship cache, I would suggest that they not be critical until they've tried it. I thought it was a hoot and the SMR series was a blast too. I think we can all like certain type of caches better then others, but why post something that will be clearly be interpreted by the cache placer and suggesting his or her cache or caches are not worthy?

Curmudgeon or not, why not find something good in these NEW type of cache placements? I guess it's like music, I like Elton John, Billly Joel, James Taylor, Beethoven. I don't listen to Rap...ever but I'm not critical of the folks that do it and enjoy it.

I'd embrace a "to each his/her own" philosophy about caching. Sure which you'd try that.

brdad
12-01-2009, 09:47 PM
I am glad to promote variety and quality in the game. It has nothing to do with micros, I would not like to see ammo boxes hidden in such a manner, either. If everyone started hiding Battleship style caches you would hear my concern against them as well. In fact, many of the Bangor area multis were inspired or fueled by Battleship, and I was glad to see that trend subside when it did. Regarding not having done a numbers run before, I have - I did 20 virtuals in 2 days give or take in DC a few years back. It was fun, but they were not placed for the purpose of people finding a ton of them, and they all had value (historical/view/hide).

My attempt in my post was not to bash anyone or any cache type, only a hiding style that I feel degrades the value of finding x number of caches. The first part of my post was sarcastic, but in reality IMO if all you want is to stop and log a find every .1 mile, you may as well be logging telephone poles.

CARoperPhotography
12-01-2009, 11:55 PM
Dave.... so YOU must be the one I was told about, over beers with several other big names cachers over the holiday weekend....

.... please... between you and I (I'll keep it a secret)... is it TRUE that you only approve of a cache and think it is worthy of the title of "Geocache" if one must bushwack 6 miles in to find it, and 6 miles back out, UP-HILL both ways, in snow, and with only a Garmin eTrex H as your guidance? And that is, as long as it is a .50 cal ammo box?

CARoperPhotography
12-01-2009, 11:58 PM
I like caches of all sort! Myself and Marcipanek drove to Falmouth today to go for an FTF that was a 2 mile paddle into the middle of Casco Bay in December! In a damn CANOE! I'll happily partake in a paddle for an un-found 5-Hide, with as much pride and enthusiasm as I do when I run to a guardrail and grab a hide!

Makaruda
12-02-2009, 01:35 AM
As a new cacher, I have thought a lot about the Stud Mill run and the numbers game. At first, I disliked the run because it seemed to just be a way that some people would get a quick 100+ caches. But, it made me realize that comparing my numbers to others would just lead to disappointment. This is especially true since I don't drive (maybe next year) and thus I have low numbers right now. I probably wouldn't have enjoyed the caches I did as much if concerned with the numbers, so in that way the run was a good thing without me ever doing it. But, once I decided that comparing numbers didn't matter, I didn't have much of a problem with the quick numbers the run offered.
Thinking about it now, I have no problems with the run. If you really play the game for the numbers, the 100+ offered really isn't that much compared to many other cachers numbers and other people have the same opportunity to do the run. So while it may diminish the accomplishment of get those caches, it is still the other caches that will make the real difference in the numbers game. If you don't play for the numbers, you are free to ignore the run. I also wonder if you spent the same amount of time in the Bangor area or other areas with fairly high cache density if you could get similar numbers of caches. (If my speculation is way off, feel free to let me know.) I think the difference that runs like these have made is in how people cache. While people could get large numbers in a similar time in urban areas, most people didn't plan a whole day around those types of areas. Now people are traveling hundreds of miles to get numbers they could get closer to home in urban areas. But, if people want to bring their money to Maine, I welcome them.
Can't we all get along and just hate the people that log caches they haven't actually been to? :D

Mainiac1957
12-02-2009, 07:06 AM
As a new cacher, I have thought a lot about the Stud Mill run and the numbers game. At first, I disliked the run because it seemed to just be a way that some people would get a quick 100+ caches. But, it made me realize that comparing my numbers to others would just lead to disappointment. This is especially true since I don't drive (maybe next year) and thus I have low numbers right now. I probably wouldn't have enjoyed the caches I did as much if concerned with the numbers, so in that way the run was a good thing without me ever doing it. But, once I decided that comparing numbers didn't matter, I didn't have much of a problem with the quick numbers the run offered.
Thinking about it now, I have no problems with the run. If you really play the game for the numbers, the 100+ offered really isn't that much compared to many other cachers numbers and other people have the same opportunity to do the run. So while it may diminish the accomplishment of get those caches, it is still the other caches that will make the real difference in the numbers game. If you don't play for the numbers, you are free to ignore the run. I also wonder if you spent the same amount of time in the Bangor area or other areas with fairly high cache density if you could get similar numbers of caches. (If my speculation is way off, feel free to let me know.) I think the difference that runs like these have made is in how people cache. While people could get large numbers in a similar time in urban areas, most people didn't plan a whole day around those types of areas. Now people are traveling hundreds of miles to get numbers they could get closer to home in urban areas. But, if people want to bring their money to Maine, I welcome them.
Can't we all get along and just hate the people that log caches they haven't actually been to? :D

I myself do them all. The GRC's, the LPC's, the hikes, the paddles, the puzzles, (when I can solve them). This is how Ichoose to play. Welcome to the hobby so many of us enjoy. We all have our own reasons as to why we play. It is an individual game after all. And yes adding numbers to it of course make it a competition for many. Just human nature I suppose. Have fun at it and make what you want of it.

firefighterjake
12-02-2009, 08:50 AM
Random thoughts from a very random mind . . . and this is not directed to any one person or persons in particular.

There are many different types of cachers. Some prefer hikes. Some prefer grab and gos. Some prefer regular sized caches. Some prefer micros. Some like puzzles. Some like simple caches. For each cacher there is a cache . . . if you don't like a certain type of cache don't do it. End of story.

Enough on the Stud Mill Road caches. I'm sick of hearing about this. It's done, it follows the GC guidelines and the fact is a lot of folks like it. Again, if you don't like this type of cache, it's simple . . . don't do it. I'm still not sure why folks continue to bring this series up over . . . and over . . . and over. We've talked about this topic to death. It's time to move on.

Speaking of the SMR cache series. My opinion. If you go on this cache run by yourself it may not be so rewarding. What makes this cache run fun is when you're in a group where you can socialize and have a good time. You go for the comraderie. You don't go for the views. You don't go for the challenge. Some may go for the numbers, but to be honest if you do so, you're really missing out since in my opinion this is the type of cache series where you really want to have a friend, or two, or twelve along for the experience.

Finally . . . I've said it before, and I'll say it again . . . folks, relax. Contrary to what some folks may believe, geocaching is only a game. There is no great, magical prize for the person with the most cache finds, the person with the most FTF finds, the person who has been caching longest, etc. It's meant to be fun. If you don't find it fun, stop caching and find another hobby . . . or just take a break. When you are dead I can almost guarantee you that no one will be at your funeral talking about how many caches you found or hid . . . because caching is not living . . . it's simply a fun way to see places you might never see . . . even if some of those places are the inside of a guardrail or a lamp post in the Walmart parking lot (although it should be said I can remember being brought to far more picturesque spots than I can remember being brought to parking lots/guard rails, etc.)

JustKev
12-02-2009, 09:28 AM
firefighterjake, well said. I don't care what kind of cache we're looking for, my wife and I got into the game/sport/hobby/whatever you want to call it because it gave us something else we can do together. Whether we do it in conjuction with hunting, fishing, camping, yard saleing or just out riding around the area doesn't matter. We're doing something together and having fun doing it. We might even take the time someday to do the Stud Mill run. We've been there many times before we got into geocaching and we will definately go back even if we aren't there to look for caches. We like seeing the country in that neck of the woods, like fishing the streams (primarily catch and release) and if we're there in October/November you can bet we'd have rifles and shotguns along with our GPS's. The only down side I've seen to geocaching thus far is an article someone posted about South Carolina creating legislation against placing caches in their parks because of damage to the flora and fauna. Please, people, let's not be a state that has that happen. Cache safely, conscientiously and, most of all, HAVE FUN!!!

shuman road searchers
12-02-2009, 06:58 PM
Speaking of the SMR cache series. My opinion. If you go on this cache run by yourself it may not be so rewarding. What makes this cache run fun is when you're in a group where you can socialize and have a good time. You go for the comraderie. You don't go for the views. You don't go for the challenge. Some may go for the numbers, but to be honest if you do so, you're really missing out since in my opinion this is the type of cache series where you really want to have a friend, or two, or twelve along for the experience.

I would agree with you Jake!!! That is one of the reasons that I like caching all together.

hollora
12-02-2009, 10:40 PM
Some good points here. Regardless of the itinitery - I enjoy a cache run with my husband (who does crossword puzzles, seldom gets out of the car except for a smoke, can't navigate, doesn't want to drive and cringes when I hit a pot hole or go off road/which is common) and the dog (who snores and passes gas in the back seat).........they are great - and nice to spend a day with them.......but to spend a day with another cacher or cacher(s) is even more fun. Sometimes my daughter/granddaughter and on rare occasion my son........and then a ton of fun to be with others I consider friends. Thanks to every one of you for the memories!

TRF
12-03-2009, 07:16 AM
... ... ... or just take a break. When you are dead I can almost guarantee you that no one will be at your funeral talking about how many caches you found or hid . . . because caching is not living . . . )

WhhhhhaaaaaaaaTT!!!!???? Are you serious? So, what you are saying is that it would be to much to ask BrDad to place my ashes, equally distributed between 150-200 film canisters, and placed every 512 feet along Rt 9 starting on the west side of Albion and going toward Calais. Dang! Back to the ole drawing board. :eek::D:eek::D

Dave, no rush on it either, was hoping to go of natural causes before you took to equally dividing me up. :D

Cache On!!

brdad
12-03-2009, 10:47 AM
Dave.... so YOU must be the one I was told about, over beers with several other big names cachers over the holiday weekend....

.... please... between you and I (I'll keep it a secret)... is it TRUE that you only approve of a cache and think it is worthy of the title of "Geocache" if one must bushwack 6 miles in to find it, and 6 miles back out, UP-HILL both ways, in snow, and with only a Garmin eTrex H as your guidance? And that is, as long as it is a .50 cal ammo box?

Yes, I am sure that's exactly what you were told I was like. You must have left out my desire to rule the caching world and be the sole approver of all caches.

Unfortunately, that could not be further from the truth. While I may favor the durable ammo box and a nice location, I would be happy if caches have some value, have variety, and can stand on their own. The first GRC or LPC, Lengthy multi, kind of cute. Once you have 50 of them in 500 feet of each other, they lose their value, at least in my opinion.

Check out my finds, I have done plenty of roadside caches. Check out my logs, you will see I have some nice logs on some simpler caches.

I'd write more, but lucky you I am in VA and have a busy day planned...

Ekidokai
12-03-2009, 01:44 PM
VA. huh, Party at Dave's house.

Trick or Treat
12-03-2009, 02:54 PM
Okay, I think everyone has stated their opinion so back to the OP. Chadd, I'm really interested in how this might would work here in Southern Maine. I think the SMR is really unique in that you have such a wide open area to place caches as well as the lack of traffic allowing you to just pull over for each cache. I think we saw 3 cars the whole day we were there and 2 of them were other cachers. I guess my thoughts (if I were trying to replicate the experience) would be parking at each of the caches and if the cache density in this part of the state would allow for such a big series.

Ekidokai
12-03-2009, 03:57 PM
Since I have a bit of experience on this a few things to think of that I never would have imagined.

It is a lot of work. Finding good spots to hide caches, naming them, making them and listing the caches. Then in the last 6 months I have had to go back 5 times to fix, replace, or change out logs. People run through them so fast that the covers get lost, the containers don't get put back correctly and the logs get wet when people do them in the rain. Takes a lot of maintenance.

Once I had those up I feel a huge responsibility to keep them up and going. Naming a cache for someone brings on extra work.

Email traffic is crazy. Not just the finds either. I get at least 20 to 30 emails a week asking about road conditions, lodging, gas, facilities, other caches in the area and history. I get requests about the weather forecast hunting, bugs and viruses. I have been asked about itinerary's of other cachers, campsites, community events and cell phone coverage. It really has taken over a big part of my life, not just the caching part either. You may want to consider getting a email provider that can handle at least 1 gig. That is how much I have had at one time. It is easy to loose things in there with that much traffic.

The worst part is the grief. Every since the first day they came out I have a lot of grief coming from all over about one aspect of the series or the other, not just from Maine either. I am a tuff guy and things have got to really punch me right in the nose to upset me, but when people get into arguments over what you have done that really bothers me. I wish people would just let Brdad and everyone else express their feelings an ideas and let it be. Now here is a shocker, I agree with him on most of it. Just let it be. I would really think twice now about putting cacher names on the caches. A lot of pot shots have flown back and forth and people get bent way out of shape over little things.

Now the good parts that way outweigh the bad. I wanted to see if 100 caches could be placed in a day. I did it and it felt good. Now I find out that the Centum Challenge was to find 100 caches not place them. Oh well, lol. Looking at the finds on the other caches up there I thought that these might get found, maybe 10 in a year. After the first to finders I figured that would be it. The oldest ones have been found 130 times in 6 months. The funny comments, stories, events and pictures has made it all worth it by a long shot. I got to find out a lot about each cacher named out there. I also got to hear of great experiences out on the road. The pictures are great too. Hearing about the actions and interactions out there is funny. Then finding out how far people will come to do your caches is unbelievable.

I never expected, imagined or could have figured any of this before it happened. No matter what, it sure has been an adventure.

lexmano
12-03-2009, 04:35 PM
Well said Mike! I have about 130 caches that I have placed out over the last 2 & 1/2 years. So I have had a chance to grow into the maintenance experience. You had it dropped on you all at once.

I also love reading the logs and sharing the experiences of those who find my hides. Its all good.

Again, thanks for changing everything in the Maine (New England, International) caching scene.:D

dubord207
12-03-2009, 07:08 PM
Mike, thanks for your candid thoughts. I think we all know that while the initial effort was herculian, the follow-up and response is even a larger responsibility. I have out a scant 45 caches and I get a lot of inquiries. Any of our fellow cachers with a bunch of caches placed know the drill.

As far as the considerable discussion, that's what this site is all about! I don't think the debate has caused any serious hard feelings. Like Question 1 this year, I voted for acceptance of a lifestyle different then mine yet I accept, reluctantly, that others have a completely different view then mine. It's the same here in geoworld.

But if my fellow cachers take anything from the debate it should be that when caching with friends it makes little difference whether you're looking for a cache the size of a VW or a nano, it's the friendship that matters. I'm doing my best to follow that creed within the caching community.

TRF
12-03-2009, 07:15 PM
... ... ... acceptance of a lifestyle different then mine yet I accept, reluctantly, that others have a completely different view then mine. It's the same here in geoworld.

What's wrong with the rest of us being normal?:p:D

dubord207
12-03-2009, 07:56 PM
Yikes, you're not suggesting that you're normal are you? I have fairly good knowledge of your "bloodline" so I'm certain you recognize that "normal" has been an uphill fight since birth!:)

NativeMainer
12-03-2009, 08:15 PM

We have normal people around here?

shuman road searchers
12-03-2009, 08:55 PM

Normal TRF?! Have you ever listened to yourself? If you were to "normal" you would not fit it with me!

squirrelcache
12-10-2009, 01:46 PM
It's all relative......isn't it!?

shuman road searchers
12-10-2009, 08:15 PM
It's all relative......isn't it!?

:DNo he is not mt relative! LOL!!:D

dubord207
12-10-2009, 09:19 PM
I'm pretty sure neither TRF or shuman road seachers (Steve and Jim) are relatives of mine but my dad used to say " The only thing we're sure about is the mother" so I'm not certain!:)

TRF
12-10-2009, 09:36 PM
Noooooo, I don't think I'm related to Jim, I can remember one younger sister but not a second. My memory isn't what it used to be so that could mean I'm related to Dubord because I seem to be suffering from C.R.S and that may be genetic.

My day just keeps going from bad to worse. :)

shuman road searchers
12-11-2009, 06:35 AM
Noooooo, I don't think I'm related to Jim, I can remember one younger sister but not a second. My memory isn't what it used to be so that could mean I'm related to Dubord because I seem to be suffering from C.R.S and that may be genetic.

My day just keeps going from bad to worse. :)

You can not remember what you had for breakfast let alone who your relatives are.:) I am glad that Dan and I are here to make your day better!:D

CARoperPhotography
12-11-2009, 11:24 PM
Looks like I pissed of Law1646 over the "Agonizer". You should all go read his note he posted and my response ..... :-)

CARoperPhotography
12-11-2009, 11:28 PM
Oh, by the way, my series is in the Kennebunk area is about to get bigger. A lot bigger. As I type this, I am looking at a pile of about 60 cache containers all ready to go, of all sizes. Not all are for the series, but a considerable number are. And the name and theme of the series has been changed. It is nos a Star Wars Tribute series.... each cache dedicated to a different Star Wars aspect.

vicbiker
12-13-2009, 07:41 PM
Oh, by the way, my series is in the Kennebunk area is about to get bigger. Listen Chadd,you and Mike are going to have to get your acts together...don't you guys realize the price of gas is up, the economy isn't do all that good...us cachers can't afford to be driving back to the same place day after day, just because you guys can't place all the caches of a series at one time.:D That said can't wait to go back...

CARoperPhotography
12-14-2009, 12:26 AM
Yeah, I'm unemployed.... I realize it every day, Vic! ha ha

About half of the 50 or so that will be published this week are on a dirt road in Kennebunk/Alfred that isn't plowed during the winter, so it should make things interesting for you all!! Just put my # on speed dial when you come to find them, and I'll be happy to come out and winch you out of a bad situation!

lexmano
12-19-2009, 11:10 PM
Merenner, Dawn of Trick or Treat, Team2Hunt and Lexmano swept through 75 or so Star Wars caches in about 3 and one half hours this morning. Lexmano left for home while the other three joined Serious Tool, the cache owner, for lunch.

Team2Hunt bailed after lunch and Maureen and Dawn went on to complete a hundred plus find day. I do not have the final counts, but a Southern Maine Centum is now a managable goal.

Congratulations Maureen and Dawn and thanks Chadd!

CARoperPhotography
12-19-2009, 11:32 PM
That it is! And it's getting rather popular too! You are more than welcome!

Trick or Treat
12-19-2009, 11:40 PM
I couldn't believe the numbers you had already found just by lunchtime. Sounds like a great time was had by all. 104. Thanks Chadd et al.

CARoperPhotography
12-19-2009, 11:43 PM
Wow! 104 in York County! HA!

CARoperPhotography
01-10-2010, 09:30 AM
I just want to share something with all of your naysayers in regards to series of easily found highly concentrated micros like Stud Mill Rd. and The Star Wars Tribute here in Maine. I received this log this morning for one of the caches. You should read it and consider that this kind of cache density means far more than just numbers.... :

ponil found Star Wars Tribute: Han Solo (Traditional Cache) at 1/10/2010

Log Date: 1/10/2010
Where should I begin? I turned 50 this past week and wanted no part of any kind of party, well..... I was surprised when I expected a quiet evening at home, having a few drinks, and having some friends over. Well, they showed up and handed me a piece of paper stating that I had 10 minutes to get ready to go caching! They decided that we would cache all night and cache all night we did! We left the house a few minutes after 8pm, and picked up 2 other cachers! The crew included myself, Preferida, Team Salford, KBallsy and 76-CJ7 (who also turns 50 this week and I attended his party...). The goal was to do 50 caches over night, but of course I had to wear an astronaut costume complete with helmet and visor, as they had chosen all the Star Wars caches up in Maine! We arrived at our exit and we decided to get some coffee, and then start caching! It was a beautiful and very cold night, Team salford drove and announced the temperature everytime it dropped another degree with a low of 1 degree, we were in and out of the car all night long! I wore the astronaut costume complete with helmet and visor for the first 50 caches, the pictures I am sure will be posted. We finished early in the morning and went to a local 24 hour Diner near home for break feast. I arrived home at 7:20AM, with over 130(plus) caches done! I had a great time with great friends and a memory that will last for another 50 years. Thank you my friends for this fun surprise and thank you cache placers for making this possible! This cache was one we found along the way! TFTC, ponil

Visit this log entry at the below address:
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.a...e-bb0a7da09131 (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=5d8744da-7617-46bb-9c2e-bb0a7da09131)

Trick or Treat
01-10-2010, 01:52 PM
Love it! Doesn't matter if I have to hike miles or just lean out the car window, experiences like this one and time spent with friends is what it's all about for me.

Mapachi
01-12-2010, 07:48 PM
I like these "Power Runs" for the exercise I get, jumping in and out of my truck!

CARoperPhotography
01-17-2010, 11:29 PM
170+ caches done in one day in York County this past weekend....

Kayak Kouple found Star Wars Tribute: Luke Skywalker (Traditional Cache) at 1/17/2010

Log Date: 1/17/2010
This was one of over 170 cache finds today with Meandmydogs, Mr Team Bullis, Ms Team Skywalker and 2GeoHounds. We started our quest to locate 100 caches at 7:30 am and were done shorlty after 11:30am!! With plenty of time left we caches some more...and some more and some more. Team Skywalker hit their '2000th' milestone, The 2Geohounds reached their '7000th' cache find!!! We ALL have a new record for most caches found in one day(our previous record was 52/3 caches ...we beat it by 120!!) and to boot managed to also finish the NH 100 cache finds in 24 hours challenge.......WOW !!!
A huge thanks to all the cache owners that have places these caches. They were mostly road side park'n grabs. All caches were dry in great condition. We enjoyed the advantage of following geo prints to most hides. Although most caches were micro's the group would 'cheer' about any cache larger than a 35m ...lol. We even located one ammo can :-).
Thanks for the wonderful Maine geo-adventure
(all logs were signed BMKSH...more or less...lol...to save room on the logs sheets)
SORRY for the 'copy &paste'

Visit this log entry at the below address:
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=ce90fbfa-eb24-4858-a474-d79b70181d1b

Visit Star Wars Tribute: Luke Skywalker
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=b592f967-20bb-4f25-963e-60b68ab31502

Profile for Kayak Kouple:
http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid=fde4e434-ddfa-40de-bd91-7b4f585c70fa

CARoperPhotography
02-04-2010, 09:20 PM
I am thinking about handing out Stud Mill Rd style micro caches with blank logs inside to everyone who attends my event next Monday!

hollora
02-04-2010, 10:23 PM
I am thinking about handing out Stud Mill Rd style micro caches with blank logs inside to everyone who attends my event next Monday!

That's cool - at one of my events a couple of years ago - I had a cache container swap. People were asked to bring a container and take a container. We had a few creative ones added to the mix.

CARoperPhotography
02-04-2010, 10:37 PM
I may be bringing my caching bag with all my various containers in it. I have about 75 containers made up right now.