View Full Version : Rick's trek

dubord207
12-08-2009, 06:44 PM
'Ok. So here's the deal. Rick is going to do the AT, south to north which means he'll end up on the top of Katadin if he's successful, and there's no doubt in mind that he'll complete the journey.

There are towns and places that the "through hikers" make contact with the rest of the world and I for one intend to follow his journey.

With any kind of luck Rick will know about the time he get's near Monson about what time he'll be in Baxter. If he let's me or any other cachers know, then what a fun "parade" and celebration if will be to join him on the summit of Katadin. While I'm not too sure how many more times my 60 year old knees can make it up to the top, I'm fairly certain I can do it once again. By the time Rick get's to the finish, he'll be a little thin, tired, but very focused and most of us will not be able to keep up but I propose to share a frosty with him at the top! If the timing works out, then I hope other Maine cachers will join in the momentous accomplishment.

There you go, Rick! The pressure's on!:)

Trick or Treat
12-08-2009, 08:16 PM
That sounds great!

hollora
12-08-2009, 09:36 PM
Another one who would like to try and make it to the top.

tat
12-09-2009, 07:49 AM
If you're not sure of your abilities, be sure to practice on lesser climbs like Tumbeldown Mountain's Brook trail.

Mt. Washington in New Hampshire is a good place to make a final practice run. If you make arrangements before hand, you can have a friend bring you down.

hollora
12-09-2009, 10:29 AM
If you're not sure of your abilities, be sure to practice on lesser climbs like Tumbeldown Mountain's Brook trail.

Mt. Washington in New Hampshire is a good place to make a final practice run. If you make arrangements before hand, you can have a friend bring you down.

I have been to Chimney Pond and also done a portion of I think it was Abol Trail. Come Spring I will be trying a few climbs to see. Of course there is always the trek with Tread Lightly LOL

attroll
12-09-2009, 11:27 AM
Yes, the pressure is on, as if I don't have enough pressure already.

Once I arrive in Monson I should have a good guesstimate on the day I will summit Katahdin. The only issue will be what the weather is for day of my summit. I might have to postpone it a day.

dubord207
12-09-2009, 01:24 PM
Monson would be a great place for a breather. A good friend of mine, Mike Witham, is the "rib-master" owner of Spring Creek Barbeque, great place for a rack of ribs. You'll be ready for that kind of food by then!:)

Yes, the pressure is on, as if I don't have enough pressure already.

Once I arrive in Monson I should have a good guesstimate on the day I will summit Katahdin. The only issue will be what the weather is for day of my summit. I might have to postpone it a day.

ltlindian
12-09-2009, 01:50 PM
Are you planning on any geocaching along the way or strictly hiking?

number seven
12-09-2009, 02:35 PM
That's a good idea-I'd be up for it..

attroll
12-09-2009, 03:23 PM
Are you planning on any geocaching along the way or strictly hiking?
A GPS will add more weight to carry. I will already be carrying all my belongings on my back for six or seven months, I will consider myself lucky to complete the whole trek. I don't want to add geocaching to it. That might be the little extra that keeps me from completing the 2,178 mile walk. It might be the straw that breaks the camels back as they say. I would love to do it, don't get me wrong but I have to try and get 2,178 miles under my belt in a allotted time. I am afriad if I get side tracked to much I will not have time to completed my original goal.

tandemstoker
12-09-2009, 04:27 PM
If the timing works out, then I hope other Maine cachers will join in the momentous accomplishment.

What a great idea. Count me in!!

Sudonim
12-09-2009, 05:13 PM
A GPS will add more weight to carry. I will already be carrying all my belongings on my back for six or seven months, I will consider myself lucky to complete the whole trek. I don't want to add geocaching to it. That might be the little extra that keeps me from completing the 2,178 mile walk. It might be the straw that breaks the camels back as they say. I would love to do it, don't get me wrong but I have to try and get 2,178 miles under my belt in a allotted time. I am afriad if I get side tracked to much I will not have time to completed my original goal.

But you are going to bring a laptop, solar charger and sat phone so you can submit a daily blog on your progress, right? :D

dubord207
12-09-2009, 05:14 PM
The AT is closed to caching anyway. There are exceptions to the rules but the rules are rigid, trust me.

attroll
01-05-2010, 02:10 PM
One more step closer now. I just purchased my Amtrak ticket.

Sudonim
01-05-2010, 02:43 PM
One more step closer now. I just purchased my Amtrak ticket.

Hey, if you are traveling by Amtrak, I don't think this journey will take months, maybe just a couple of days:p (I thought you were walking)

attroll
01-05-2010, 02:54 PM
Very funny Andy. Got to get to the start before I can start walking home.

oneday
01-05-2010, 03:12 PM
I am sure that you have done loads of research and are well prepared...but if I may give a few words of advice...
1) bounce boxes are your best friend...don't shop in small towns unless you have money to burn.
2) try to do most of your zeros ON the trail
3) don't be pressured by others to go fast...it's nice to say you did the tri-state challenge...but will you remember anything about those three states?
4) if you see Pirate or Wee Willie say hi...but don't believe a thing they say!!

Ok...so obviously this is my opinion but I figure that most people who attempt a thru-hike do it because they love being outdoors. I saw too many people get out there and think that it's a competition or that they want to get it over with as soon as possible. My view on that is that if you wanted to walk 25 miles a day but not be outside...buy a treadmill...it's a lot cheaper. Needless to say most of those people ended up injured or simply quit.

Anyway, best of luck to you and I hope you make countless memories!

Kaching Karen
01-05-2010, 07:34 PM
My sister completed a long distance hike a couple of years ago. When she started, we talked about a lot of people meeting her at the top of Kahtadin. As she approached the end of her hike, she wanted less and less people with her. In the end, it was just her and me. We shared a drink, enjoyed the moment, and hiked back down.
I was hiking the 100 mile wilderness a number of years ago and I met another women who did the same thing. She kept it a secret from her family as to when she was going to summit.
So, if Rick decides he wants his finish to be small, then we have to respect that. I'm sure Rick will keep us updated. Good luck Rick. I hope we bump into you as we section hike south on the AT this summer.

Haffy
01-05-2010, 08:01 PM
I am sure that you have done loads of research and are well prepared...but if I may give a few words of advice...
1) bounce boxes are your best friend...don't shop in small towns unless you have money to burn.
3) don't be pressured by others to go fast...it's nice to say you did the tri-state challenge...but will you remember anything about those three states?
4) if you see Pirate or Wee Willie say hi...but don't believe a thing they say!!

Ok...so obviously this is my opinion but I figure that most people who attempt a thru-hike do it because they love being outdoors. I saw too many people get out there and think that it's a competition or that they want to get it over with as soon as possible. My view on that is that if you wanted to walk 25 miles a day but not be outside...buy a treadmill...it's a lot cheaper. Needless to say most of those people ended up injured or simply quit.

Apparently you don't know Rick all that well. Not only has he planned this trip for literally years but he is the webmaster of WhiteBlaze,Hammock Forums and a couple of others that I'm not quite sure about. He is well prepared for sure and probably knows the people that you mentioned as well. He puts on a trail magic feast in Monson every year as well. If anyone will finish the hike it will be ATTROLL...

dubord207
01-05-2010, 08:32 PM
While there's certainly a great deal of merit to KK's post, and while I would certainly respect any decision Rick might make as to whether he wants to finish his trek with a few crazed geocaching buddies traipsing along behind him, I will carry a twelve pack to the summit if given the opportunity. I think this will be my "ticket" to share in the fun. I will start taking "reservations" to purchase these beers on the summit right now. It will be a $20.00 per can minimum bid and as supply goes down, the price will go up....kind of like oil! Rick will get 2 free frosties if he can remember all the names of the folks who venture on up to the summit with him.:)

robt
01-05-2010, 08:44 PM
While there's certainly a great deal of merit to KK's post, and while I would certainly respect any decision Rick might make as to whether he wants to finish his trek with a few crazed geocaching buddies traipsing along behind him, I will carry a twelve pack to the summit if given the opportunity. I think this will be my "ticket" to share in the fun. I will start taking "reservations" to purchase these beers on the summit right now. It will be a $20.00 per can minimum bid and as supply goes down, the price will go up....kind of like oil! Rick will get 2 free frosties if he can remember all the names of the folks who venture on up to the summit with him.:)

And I will take bribes as to weather or not I ask to see your state liquor licence:D:D:D:D

dubord207
01-05-2010, 09:40 PM
Daniel J. Dubord, Maine Bar Registration # 67. This is why it's called a "bar" association. I'm good to go. Just call me "Sherpa Dan!" Have license, will summit!:)

And I will take bribes as to weather or not I ask to see your state liquor licence:D:D:D:D

kayaking loon
01-06-2010, 08:21 AM
Good luck, Rick. Don't forget to call if you need a hand anywhere in the Rangeley-Stratton area, rides to town, a hot shower... I think I gave you our telephone number earlier, if not, PM me. We pick up a lot of through hikers in August, give them rides to and from town if they're hitchhiking, hear their stories.

I've been to Chimney Pond and up the AT on Katahdin as far as the tree line (it was snow and ice above that the day we were there and we weren't supposed to go above that). But that was years ago so I don't think I'll try to summit. And you may not want a crowd with you anyway. If not, the party could be at Roaring Brook Campground, where through hikers come "back to earth". And you said something about making it in time for the Eustis event, and maybe giving a talk and showing slides.... We'd love to have you if you can make it.

Remember, if Grandma Gatewood could do it, so can you!

attroll
01-06-2010, 09:56 AM

Thanks for the advice Oneday.
1. I have a bounce box. I am putting things that I will need that are not readily available in most towns and a couple other things.
2. No sure if I agree with this one but I may take a zero on the trail.
3. I refuse to be pressured by anyone to do big miles. This is my hike. They can hike there own hike. My plan is to keep it under 10 miles a day for the first two weeks. After that I will do what my body allows me to do.
4, I am sure I will see Pirate as he works at Neels Gap. I know Pirate and Wee Willie pretty good and I know to believe half of what they tell you.

I thought about doing the tri state challenge but I will see how I feel when I get to that point.

attroll
01-06-2010, 09:57 AM
Good luck, Rick. Don't forget to call if you need a hand anywhere in the Rangeley-Stratton area, rides to town, a hot shower... I think I gave you our telephone number earlier, if not, PM me. We pick up a lot of through hikers in August, give them rides to and from town if they're hitchhiking, hear their stories.

I've been to Chimney Pond and up the AT on Katahdin as far as the tree line (it was snow and ice above that the day we were there and we weren't supposed to go above that). But that was years ago so I don't think I'll try to summit. And you may not want a crowd with you anyway. If not, the party could be at Roaring Brook Campground, where through hikers come "back to earth". And you said something about making it in time for the Eustis event, and maybe giving a talk and showing slides.... We'd love to have you if you can make it.

Remember, if Grandma Gatewood could do it, so can you!
I can not find your number. Could you send it to me in a PM.

pjpreb
01-10-2010, 07:01 PM
:p
Daniel J. Dubord, Maine Bar Registration # 67. This is why it's called a "bar" association. I'm good to go. Just call me "Sherpa Dan!" Have license, will summit!:)

Does that mean there are 66 attorneys in Maine that are better than you? :D:D:p:);)

dubord207
01-10-2010, 08:39 PM
If that's the case, then's there's over 11,000 that I outrank!. Actually, Bar numbers started about 10 years ago and they randomly gave them out as we sent in our registrations. Those of us that sent our forms in quickly got the first bunch of numbers. Then Chief Justice Vincent McKusick was given # 1. Joe Bornstein's number is 6000 something!:)

robt
01-11-2010, 02:32 PM
If that's the case, then's there's over 11,000 that I outrank!. Actually, Bar numbers started about 10 years ago and they randomly gave them out as we sent in our registrations. Those of us that sent our forms in quickly got the first bunch of numbers. Then Chief Justice Vincent McKusick was given # 1. Joe Bornstein's number is 6000 something!:)

So next time I get sued by Jow Bornstein I need you cause you would beat him? :D:D:D:D:D

attroll
03-05-2010, 08:49 PM
Tomorrow will leave me with nine days left before I leave to catch the Amtrak for my adventure of a lifetime. I just wanted to let everyone know and rub it in just a little bit. Everything is falling into place. Gear, friends and hiking partners are all lined up and ready to go. The only concern I have at this time is from the phone conversation I had with someone on the trail in Georgia yesterday. There is one foot of snow on the trail and there are shoulder high snow drifts in the Smokies right now. On the up side the weather is suppose to get in the 50’s and 60’s next week in Georgia. I hope that clears the snow for me.

For those of you that want to follow my progress, I have decided on going with this web site www.trailjournals.com/attroll (http://www.trailjournals.com/attroll).

Waterski
03-05-2010, 09:02 PM
Thanks for the link Attroll. We will be very interested in following your trail and wish you success every day in your journey. I hope the snow melts away fast before you get to Georgia.

Mainiac1957
03-05-2010, 09:45 PM
Rick my friend. If I don't get to see you before you leave. Have an awesome time. I will keep an eye on your trail blog. Let D know that friends are only a phone call away if she needs something. Be safe and have fun.:cool:

pm28570
03-05-2010, 09:56 PM
Naw, never mind, leave the snowshoes home. Good luck, safe travels and enjoy your journey; knowing that it truly is about the journey.

4ccnhikers
03-05-2010, 10:18 PM
Thanks for the link Attroll. We will be very interested in following your trail and wish you success every day in your journey. I hope the snow melts away fast before you get to Georgia.

Ditto - I can't believe the southern snowstorms have lingered so long! Enjoy the hike!:):)

dubord207
03-06-2010, 08:06 AM
I just read most of your logs...have to admit I'm jealous as I have occassionally wondered if I could make that journey.

I added your journal as a "favorite" and look forward to reading your posts. Di and I wish you the best and if it works out we might tag along for the last part of your hike here in Maine it the timing works out.:)

vicbiker
03-06-2010, 08:21 AM
Best of luck to you Rick. I can remember how excited I was just before leaving on my bike trip. Chery and I will be watching your progress on your blog. See you on the trail when you get closer to home.

Moonsouth
03-06-2010, 09:07 AM
Good luck! I will be following your progress as well. I would also ascend to the summit with you, should you want a party. Have FUN!

Moonsouth
03-06-2010, 09:30 AM
Wow I just read through your current logs and I am really excited for you!! You are right, it will absolutely change your life. I have been wanting to do this hike for a while now as well. Reading your logs has me excited enough again to start making plans. Maybe we can talk more about it once you complete your journey. Best of luck and I am really looking forward to reading your logs.

WhereRWe?
03-06-2010, 10:30 AM
Sheesh! I wonder if they make freeze-dried beer for trips like this! ;);)

Haffy
03-07-2010, 12:16 AM
Sheesh! I wonder if they make freeze-dried beer for trips like this! ;);)

Not to get this of topic but thought you might like this Bruce. http://www.enquirer.com/editions/2002/05/28/loc_students_invent.html

Hey Rick It was in the 50's here today so it's starting to warm up. At least I'm back to playing golf once again. Too bad I don't move to Gainesville for a couple of months yet or I would accompany you for a few miles. Wish you the best of luck and will be following your lifes adventures through your journal. God Speed!!!

number seven
03-07-2010, 05:30 AM
Best of luck Rick~I'll be following your reports for sure..Number seven

parmachenee
03-07-2010, 07:08 AM
Good luck Rick! This should be an adventure that will contain many stories. We'll follow your progress in your journal. And I hear there is even a trail to follow!! :D

brdad
03-07-2010, 08:27 AM
Good luck from Lee and I as well. This is like the best of caches, you don't care if there is no smiley or not at the end. Of course, there's always those ones on Katahdin...

WhereRWe?
03-07-2010, 09:17 AM
Sheesh! I just got through reading Rick's journal (http://www.trailjournals.com/attroll). This trip has had an amazing amount of thought and preparation - over 20 years of thinking about it and 5 years of active planning with a date set - so I have no doubt that Rick will make it successfully and have many great memories.

RULost2? and I wish you the best! Good luck! :D:D

hollora
03-07-2010, 10:07 AM
Safe journey - the memories will be incredible!

Ekidokai
03-07-2010, 12:47 PM
With all the preplanning, thought, work and life changes that you have put into this adventure I wish you the best.

I wish you the best weather, clean water, good food, great health and good fortune where you need it.

Haffy
03-07-2010, 03:16 PM
Rick truly is an inspiration to anyone who has the ability and strength to tackle such a hike and should be commended for it. This guy is another one who truly is an inspiration.

http://videos.komando.com/2010/03/07/a-blind-hikers-journey/

http://www.blindhiker.com/

firefighterjake
03-08-2010, 10:27 AM
Good luck Rick . . . stay safe.