View Full Version : snow or rain

shuman road searchers
12-09-2009, 06:16 PM
As I sit here and watch the snow fall:mad: I am remembering all of the caching I did this year in the rain.:mad: This made me wonder which is better,caching in the rain:mad: or snow:mad:? I thought I would put this out for a vote. RAIN:mad: or SNOW:mad:? I hate snow!!!:mad: I hate rain!!:mad: With that being said I will chose rain and yes you must pick one or the other!:D:D

Haffy
12-09-2009, 06:20 PM
I'd rather cache in the snow but no snow down here so am stuck with the rain.

pm28570
12-09-2009, 06:40 PM
Born and raised in the shadow of Katahdin.....I hate the cold, I've never liked the cold and you'll never get me to like the cold. Survey says.....cache in a light rain.

As I sit here and watch the snow fall:mad: I am remembering all of the caching I did this year in the rain.:mad: This made me wonder which is better,caching in the rain:mad: or snow:mad:? I thought I would put this out for a vote. RAIN:mad: or SNOW:mad:? I hate snow!!!:mad: I hate rain!!:mad: With that being said I will chose rain and yes you must pick one or the other!:D:D

cachecrashers4
12-09-2009, 06:55 PM
You're going to get wet either way so I'll take the snow, it's prettier.

dubord207
12-09-2009, 07:15 PM
You can't snowshoe "on" rain. When you fall down into a pile of snow, it's "cool" When you fall into a puddle, you might have to go to the ER.

Rain has acid in it, as in acid rain. Snow is just snow, "pure as the driven snow." I don't like acid, period!

If somebody puts out a cache that is "munchkin challenged", rain won't help at all. A snowbank will help a cacher like Dot be able to reach a cache that would otherwise be beyond her reach.

And last, but not least, frozen snow makes ice. Ice can be crushed and used to make martini's. Rain will only dilute the drink and make me gag!

It's SNOW for this cacher for sure!:)

tat
12-09-2009, 07:35 PM
Snow!!! Snow!!! Snow!!!

But I do like rain too, as long as it's not too much.

Mainiac1957
12-09-2009, 08:19 PM
It would be very hard for us to snowshoe and winter camp if it were rain.:rolleyes:

Mapachi
12-09-2009, 09:00 PM
I like caching in the winter better then the summer! (You break less, when you fall)!

number seven
12-09-2009, 09:30 PM
:DLove the snow.Caching on snow shoes is a riot. My vote SNOW..:D

brdad
12-09-2009, 10:17 PM
If it's warm, I'd rather have the rain! I love t-shirt weather.

And if acid rain wasn't the hoax it was, wouldn't it occur in snow as well?

However, I'll take snow any day along with the freezing temps before I enjoy 85°+ temperatures!

Ekidokai
12-10-2009, 12:22 AM
Neither! I don't do rain or snow or cold or hot. You guys are crazy.

JustPJ66
12-10-2009, 08:36 AM
I have to admit...going out in the rain would sure take the fun out of it for me....but then I am new to this too but somehow I dont see my opinion of that changing anytime soon.

wouldnt mind a light snowfall tho ...taking a walk in a light snow can be lovely!

firefighterjake
12-10-2009, 08:47 AM
Caching . . . I prefer a light rain if I had to choose . . . no digging in snowbanks.

However, this time of year I'm ready for snow . . . since I have a snowmobile . . . no rainmobile . . . to ride.

NativeMainer
12-10-2009, 08:57 AM
I like caching in snow a little better. It's easier to stay dry if there's snow on the ground. As a matter of fact, I'm going out this morning for a bit of a numbers run. Someone put a bunch of caches along a road in Kennebunk, just south of me. I'm going to clear as many as I can off my map. :)

fins2right
12-10-2009, 09:58 AM
Snow, I guess. If only we could skip the Sub-zero temps, Ice storms and plowing. This morning, while snowblowing, I thought of palm trees and white sand. Oh, and frozen drinks. Dan you are right, Ice is good!

cano
12-10-2009, 12:35 PM
Snow, I guess. If only we could skip the Sub-zero temps, Ice storms and plowing. This morning, while snowblowing, I thought of palm trees and white sand. Oh, and frozen drinks. Dan you are right, Ice is good!
Going to Haiti this weekend to place some caches. Let me check the weather... 37°C, nice :)

pm28570
12-10-2009, 02:26 PM
Who are you? And what have you done with Tracy?

Snow, I guess.

Sudonim
12-10-2009, 02:31 PM
It's easier to find a cache after a rainstorm than after a snowstorm, I'll take rain. (+ I'm out caching, not at home shoveling)

ltlindian
12-10-2009, 03:54 PM
in general, I prefer snow to rain. But for caching, I hate the snow. I can't find a thing. :(

brdad
12-10-2009, 06:40 PM
I received proof from someone who would like to remain anonymous that Dan is not afraid to go after underwater hydrocaches in Winter. ;)

http://forum.carvewright.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=29366&d=1260468858

JustKev
12-10-2009, 06:43 PM
brdad, that might cause shrinkage......

dubord207
12-10-2009, 07:05 PM
But that's my father. I have a a more lovable butt, more muscle, less brain and I would always go with something gas powered, like a chainsaw!

As for shrinkage, that's an individual deal largely dependent on genetics and whether or not our Maker gave us a decent start. I'll pass on any "Tiger-like" gossip on that issue.;)

shuman road searchers
12-10-2009, 08:14 PM
Caching . . . I prefer a light rain if I had to choose . . . no digging in snowbanks.

However, this time of year I'm ready for snow . . . since I have a snowmobile . . . no rainmobile . . . to ride.

I have both a rainmobile and a snowmobile. It is called a car!!:) I have noticed that when it rains my floormats get a little wet but after caching with TRF in the snow I noticed that his floormat in my car had standing water on it!:)

TRF
12-10-2009, 09:47 PM
I dislike caching in moisture that falls from the sky in any of its forms. I dislike it most in the form of snow but only because of the temperature required to make it so. Snow isn't bad it's got more to do with being 48 degrees below 80 that makes it terrible. Fortunately I enjoy caching enough that I'll suffer the weather no matter what.

cano
12-10-2009, 10:09 PM
rain or snow is no problem as long it's not mosquitoes :)

Mapachi
12-10-2009, 10:36 PM
rain or snow is no problem as long it's not mosquitoes :)
DITTO! But add NO TICKS to that!

vicbiker
12-10-2009, 11:41 PM
I've had fun caching in both rain and with snow on the ground, caching in an actual snowstorm is something I haven't had much experience with, except possibly the poker run at one of the winter events. That said given a choice I would have to take a warm summer rain over a winter snowstorm.