View Full Version : Happy Hannukah!

WhereRWe?
12-12-2009, 07:52 PM
"Hanukkah (also known as Chanukah, Hanukah, Hannuka and the Festival of Lights) is an eight-day Jewish holiday that usually takes place between late November and late December. It commemorates the victory of the Maccabees, a Jewish rebel army, over the Syrians in 165 B.C.E., as well as the subsequent rededication of the holy Temple in Jerusalem. Jews around the world celebrate with eight nights of merriment. Traditions include lighting the menorah, exchanging gifts and enjoying treats cooked in oil." (Sorry - don't remember where I stole this quote from...)

RULost2? and I wish our Jewish members a happy holiday. Having lived all over the world, and often where religions unfamiliar to us were predominant, we've gained a respect for festivals and celebrations which are often neglected in the US.

I'm not aware of any members who are Jewish, but if there are, and you have any recipes for "treats cooked in oil", I'd love to hear about them! LOL!

hollora
12-12-2009, 08:30 PM
"Hanukkah (also known as Chanukah, Hanukah, Hannuka and the Festival of Lights) is an eight-day Jewish holiday that usually takes place between late November and late December. It commemorates the victory of the Maccabees, a Jewish rebel army, over the Syrians in 165 B.C.E., as well as the subsequent rededication of the holy Temple in Jerusalem. Jews around the world celebrate with eight nights of merriment. Traditions include lighting the menorah, exchanging gifts and enjoying treats cooked in oil." (Sorry - don't remember where I stole this quote from...)

RULost2? and I wish our Jewish members a happy holiday. Having lived all over the world, and often where religions unfamiliar to us were predominant, we've gained a respect for festivals and celebrations which are often neglected in the US.

I'm not aware of any members who are Jewish, but if there are, and you have any recipes for "treats cooked in oil", I'd love to hear about them! LOL!

Yes, Happy Hanukkah and all the other holidays!

My fav is gold coins - the ones which are chocolate inside! I always waited for my classmates to bring them to school. That was back when we could share our traditions which were religious based in the schools.

pm28570
12-12-2009, 08:58 PM
mmmm.....Latkes, aka potatoe pancakes.

NativeMainer
12-13-2009, 12:46 AM
Happy Hanukkah to you, too. Some of my in-laws are Jewish (as are several friends). My wife's mother remarried someone who is Jewish and converted when they had a daughter (my wife's younger sister).

Ekidokai
12-13-2009, 01:28 AM
I too was lucky enough to learn about a variety of cultures in school. Making dradle, learning songs, finding out about Smith and his beliefs and many more that don't come to mind right now. It was great learning all these things about the world.

hollora
12-13-2009, 10:02 PM
I too was lucky enough to learn about a variety of cultures in school. Making dradle, learning songs, finding out about Smith and his beliefs and many more that don't come to mind right now. It was great learning all these things about the world.

You are absolutely right and what part of this didn't the powers that be in education understand? I grew up with Jewish kids and enbraced their culture as they embraced mine. Along with Catholics, Baptists, Mormons and others of the times.

In fact growing up with the kids from "Little Jerusalem" from "Little City" in Bangor, helped me when I learned my Great Grandfather was Jewish - but with a wife who was a gentile - well, we lived in a family divided. But everyone got along ok. It was a breath of fresh air to know and understand traditions.

Learning things among friends in school is a great way. The inhabitions and baises come from teachers and others - not the kids. JMHO

Happy Holidays to all our friends who celebrate other holidays! Keep your vision in the light.........and enjoy!

Mapachi
12-15-2009, 01:22 PM
I'd rather have a great big melting pot.
Freedom of religion not freedom from religion.
Live and let live.
I think.
I think I am.
There for I am.

I think.

dubord207
12-15-2009, 06:20 PM
How do you melt pot? Sounds rather Satre-ish. Isn't he the weird french guy that said "A person is what he is not?":rolleyes:

I'd rather have a great big melting pot.
Freedom of religion not freedom from religion.
Live and let live.
I think.
I think I am.
There for I am.

I think.