View Full Version : New Year Geocaching Resolutions!

dubord207
12-29-2009, 06:38 PM
So, we're about to start a new decade and a new year. I'll start the topic of "new year geocaching resolutions." The thread is how we can all make the game better so here goes!

Bring replacement logs with you when you cache...always. It makes me feel good when I replace a log that the last 5 cachers have squacked about.

Put out a few more "quality" caches. Yeah, we can all do GRC's and LPC caches, but pledge to design a quality cache to be placed in a great spot.

And my last resolution, always think about how your fellow cachers will react when you hit the "submit" key when posting here. I know I've had a few posts that were ill advised as have others.

Those are mine. So what will you offer?:) Happy New Year my friends!

WhereRWe?
12-29-2009, 07:43 PM
Put out a few more "quality" caches. Yeah, we can all do GRC's and LPC caches, but pledge to design a quality cache to be placed in a great spot.

Sheesh! I never make "New Year's Resolutions" - I can never keep them.

But I echo this suggestion. I've seen a LOT of new caches lately where the location is great, but the cache is a micro. Many of us remember the days when a geoCACHE was just that - a container with items in it that you could trade.

If you place a GRC, use a small Lock-N-Lock (or similar) box instead of a film can. And if you place a cache in a nice area, please avoid the micro!

RULost2? and I, at least, will thank you! LOL!

fins2right
12-29-2009, 10:05 PM
Sorry about the double post. I hit my tab button and this popped up. Please see my response below!!

pm28570
12-29-2009, 10:19 PM
Nice thread, Dan. I am not one for new year resolutions....why wait for the first of the year? That said, I will continue to try to be a responsible cacher, participate in the geocaching community and not make fun of Magellan users :). In addition, want to add in more kayak caching and perhaps try some biking.

fins2right
12-29-2009, 10:26 PM
I really like this idea, so here goes. My Geo-New Years resolutions for 2010:

1: Take the time to thank all those who help make this hobby special for me and my family: A. All those who work so hard at hosting and working on Events. We truly enjoy them. I can see how much hard work goes into even the simplest of get-togethers. I know it may not mean much, but they are a great reason for the Frost's to spend time as a family. Thank You. B. All those cachers out there who put out caches for us to enjoy. For my hobby, I like them all. (Even the ones that drive WhereRWe? and others crazy :D:D:D Go Micros!) C. A Sincere thanks to everyone involved in production of the 2009 Coin, Shirts, Hats ect. You are awesome! D. A special thanks to Eidokai (I hope I spelled that right) The Stud Mill Series gave me one of the best days I had this summer. E. A thanks to all of the active members of this site. Coming here and reading the posts is one of the highlights of my day. I love the debate, I love the help, I love the site.

2. Cache More. I recorded a little over 535 caches this year. Up from 200 in '08 and a whole 56 in 2007, my first year. I really want to break 1000. I've taken this month off, and with the current temp at 4 degrees, with the prediction of well over a foot of snow this upcoming weekend, I'm not sure how Jan. 2010 will go.

3. Contribute More. I've placed 23 caches. Not a lot by some standards. There are a few area's that I think hold a lot of untapped potential for placement. Burnham, Pittsfield, Newport ect. My current "ready to go" stock consists of 4 ammo cans, 4 smaller lock and locks and 4 micros. I have a couple of really neat idea's for hides. I just need to get going. Last year I put a few out for the WWWWWW event. With the OK of WhereRWe?, I think I'll do that again.

Happy, Happy New Year everyone. I hope it is filled with joy and wonder!

WhereRWe?
12-30-2009, 07:59 AM
3. Contribute More. I've placed 23 caches. ... Last year I put a few out for the WWWWWW event. With the OK of WhereRWe?, I think I'll do that again.

Go for it! :D:D

brdad
12-30-2009, 06:57 PM
Another vote for not being one to do New Year's resolutions. But if that's what it takes for anyone to make themselves be happier and a better person then I am behind it all the way.

My resolutions for caching as well as real life are adjusted nearly every day - stand up for what I think is right, speak up against what I think is wrong. That is easily said but sometimes it's hard deciding which side of the line is which.

vicbiker
12-30-2009, 07:31 PM
My New Year resolutions as far as geocaching goes are to get back into geocaching on a more active schedule...not necessarily doing alot more caches, but instead trying to get out more often, even if for only one cache. Try to make it to more events this year. Put out a new caching series in the Abbot area...stay tuned for more info. Be a good ambassador for our great sport...geocaching has been very good to me and I would like to repay this by introducing more people to this sport.

Ekidokai
12-30-2009, 10:05 PM
Very inspirational so far.

I don't do the resolution thing either, but here are mine.

I want to get more people involved in geocaching. I also will spend sometime to find the puzzle caches, as the hiders have done their part I feel as I should do mine.

Happy New Year everyone!

merenner
12-30-2009, 11:11 PM
Hmmm, good one Mike. I too want to work out the puzzles, more group caching and host more events. Those are my resolutions.

JustKev
12-31-2009, 04:44 AM
I haven't done a new years resolution in too many years to even try to remember the last one. All I'm gonna do is continue to learn more about caching and just enjoy the new game/hobby with my wife.

vicbiker
12-31-2009, 09:40 AM
. I also will spend sometime to find the puzzle caches, as the hiders have done their part I feel as I should do mine. I have a lot of puzzle caches that I have never ever attempted to do...seems to me they are only fun to do as a group. We should have a event where we all do a bunch of these together. Mike, you could host such a event in the Bangor area, a simple meet and greet, then head out and do some puzzle type caches. All in favor say...aaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyy.

hollora
12-31-2009, 09:46 AM
I have a lot of puzzle caches that I have never ever attempted to do...seems to me they are only fun to do as a group. We should have a event where we all do a bunch of these together. Mike, you could host such a event in the Bangor area, a simple meet and greet, then head out and do some puzzle type caches. All in favor say...aaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyy.

Are you talking on a weekend?

Mapachi
12-31-2009, 03:55 PM
I resolve not to make a resolution! ... err wait.....I just broke that resolution!
OK then; I resolve to get as many caches I can before the satellites start falling from the sky! They're going to fall, you know. Remember what Fig Newton wrote!
Fig Newtons! I'm going to cut back on them too!
And smoked Herring! I already gave up Cherry Herring.
Oh, I almost forgot, NO MORE CHEAP TOILET PAPER! It's just not worth it in the long run.....Especially in the long run!

Waterski
12-31-2009, 04:51 PM
Puzzle caches are right up there with magicians ...and mimes...for me...they just don't agree with my mind. A puzzle diciphering day would be a good thing for sure. As for the thread..... no resolutions at the moment, but there is still 8 hours to figure one out. Maybe organizing my life( I make that one every year) so that I can get out caching more, and enjoying some of those great places that you all have hidden caches in. You are all our personal tour guides, if you ask me. Thanks everyone. I will try to hide a few more for all of you in 2010.

vicbiker
12-31-2009, 11:54 PM
Are you talking on a weekend?Would have to be on a weekend for most people to participate.

JustKev
01-01-2010, 07:38 AM
Would have to be on a weekend for most people to participate.

I'm one of the unfortunate ones who can't be considered "most people" when it comes to having to have an event scheduled on a weekend so I can go. That only happens once every four weekends for me. The other three weeks, I have my days off during the week. Rotating schedules and not many weekends off....the world of big box retail.

cano
01-01-2010, 06:38 PM
I have a lot of puzzle caches that I have never ever attempted to do...seems to me they are only fun to do as a group. We should have a event where we all do a bunch of these together. Mike, you could host such a event in the Bangor area, a simple meet and greet, then head out and do some puzzle type caches. All in favor say...aaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyy.

What about some puzzle solving event? :)

Fins_Up
01-02-2010, 09:21 PM
My New Year Geocaching Resolutions would be to hide more quality caches. I know that I enjoy going after a series of caches in an area so I will try to find a spot for something like that. I would also like to do more puzzle caches but I stink at them. I printed out 2 today to work on and I look at them for a while and then find something more fun to do :cool:

Gob-ler
01-02-2010, 09:34 PM
I am not so sure a Puzzle Solving event would be such a good idea. Granted, I do not really like puzzles, but I work at them. Getting a gang together to solve a puzzle could compromise puzzle caches altogether.

Heck, I have all the solutions to the puzzles I have ever solved, maybe we should just hold an auction and donate the proceeds to a worthy cause? Better yet, lets get 25 cachers to do one of the Battleship stages and all get together to solve it and then gang hunt the thing!

For puzzle caches, the puzzle is the challenge, at least I think that's the way it is?

cano
01-02-2010, 09:37 PM
I am not so sure a Puzzle Solving event would be such a good idea. Granted, I do not really like puzzles, but I work at them. Getting a gang together to solve a puzzle could compromise puzzle caches altogether.

Heck, I have all the solutions to the puzzles I have ever solved, maybe we should just hold an auction and donate the proceeds to a worthy cause?
Who will decide what is worthy cause?

Gob-ler
01-02-2010, 09:54 PM
Does not matter to me! I just checked and there are 350 or so solutions in that file.

brdad
01-02-2010, 10:01 PM
I have to agree with Dick (don't tell anyone!). I don't think there should be an event to solve puzzles. I don't have a problem with a couple friends getting together to brainstorm on a few puzzles, however.

Every so often cachers will get together and brainstorm a few puzzles in the national chat too. I don't have a huge problem with that, usually members will not give it away if they figure it out, but might drop a hint here or there. But sometimes someone will come in that is not a regular and just ask for the answer to a particular cache. I usually will not help in those cases. I've learned a lot about solving local puzzles by working out other caches there.

Gob-ler
01-02-2010, 11:12 PM
Wonder of wonders! WOW! Be sure you mark the calendar!

I am with you Dave! For sure, on this one!

CARoperPhotography
01-04-2010, 09:39 PM
I'd like to host an event at my condo where I will serve beers and we will all solve puzzle caches and give out the final locations to puzzle caches we have already solved. We'll even give out the secrets to other's "5" hides too as we get more and more drunk (I actually think I did that recently while drinking.... ask Team2Hunt).