View Full Version : Avatar 3D - A Review

WhereRWe?
12-31-2009, 06:34 PM
I don't go to the movies. In fact, until today, I've only been to the movies twice in the last 30 years: once in 1984 to take my 4-year old son to see ET, and once a couple of years later to take both kids to see Fantasia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fantasia_%28film%29) (my favorite).

But today RULost2? called in an IOU and I had to go see Avatar 3D (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avatar_%282009_film%29) in Waterville.

Sheesh! Absolutely fantastic movie. The 3d effects made it. A couple of times, I had to stop myself from reaching out to grab these floating things that seemed to be right in front of me. And the colors! Only computer graphics could produce such a range of colors.

Definitely worth seeing!

Haffy
12-31-2009, 07:01 PM
Glad you got to see it. I saw it the 1st day it came out in 3D also. Quite the movie for sure and for not having been to a movie for all those years it surely must have made quite the impression on you. Now it's all downhill from there...lol

cano
01-01-2010, 12:10 AM
Is there any 3D cinema near Bangor?

Ekidokai
01-01-2010, 01:52 AM
There sure is.

dubord207
01-01-2010, 08:47 AM
Hey Cano. Can you put together a program for all us to locate all 3D theaters in Maine...lat/lon, altitude, just the usual stuff?;)

Team V3
01-01-2010, 10:05 AM
I have yet to see that one. Once I am getting a regular paycheck, a trip to the movies will be our treat.

WhereRWe?
01-01-2010, 11:08 AM
I have yet to see that one. Once I am getting a regular paycheck, a trip to the movies will be our treat.

Sheesh! You may need 2 paychecks! This trip cost us almost $40 for the two of us: $9 each for tickets, and almost $17 for 2 medium popcorn and 2 bottles of water! :D:D

cano
01-01-2010, 11:42 AM
OK I have to redefine the question. Where is the closest cinema to Bangor where no food and drinks and retarded kids commenting on everything are allowed to the cinema?

TRF
01-01-2010, 11:52 AM
Is there any 3D cinema near Bangor?

There sure is.

OK I have to redefine the question. Where is the closest cinema to Bangor where no food and drinks and retarded kids commenting on everything are allowed to the cinema?

Too funny! I'm curious to see how Ekidokai addresses the "retarded kid" conundrum. Is there a cinema that doesn't have a concessions stand?

cano
01-01-2010, 12:09 PM
Too funny! I'm curious to see how Ekidokai addresses the "retarded kid" conundrum. Is there a cinema that doesn't have a concessions stand?

Sure there is :)
But I wasn't looking for a cinema without a concessions stand, just for cinema where no food and drinks are allowed during the show.

Ekidokai
01-01-2010, 03:36 PM

Nope there are non. Kids are allowed almost everywhere. Some liberal wacko's consider them people too.

Team V3
01-03-2010, 08:10 PM
We decided to treat ourselves to this movie (in 3D) today and I was QUITE impressed. I was expecting just a cool action movie with cool effects and little substance but I thought everything about the movie was amazing. If you see it, TRY to see it in 3D. However, you will not be letdown if you do not get to see it in 3D. It will still be a great movie.

firefighterjake
01-04-2010, 11:30 AM
I'm too cheap . . . and since I had a free pass I saw the regular ol' 2D version of Avatar . . . not bad (and very good for free) . . . kind of like a sci-fi version of Dances with Wolves.

brdad
01-12-2010, 04:54 AM
We almost went to see this in the IMAX in New Hampshire this weekend.

Oddly enough, here is an interesting news article about the movie.

Audiences experience 'Avatar' blues (http://www.cnn.com/2010/SHOWBIZ/Movies/01/11/avatar.movie.blues/index.html)

In the words of Bruce, Sheesh!

WhereRWe?
01-12-2010, 08:57 AM
Here's another article (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1242409/The-Avatar-effect-Movie-goers-feel-depressed-suicidal-able-visit-utopian-alien-planet.html) on the same thing - and with more pictures.

I sure don;t feel bad about not being able to go to that planet - too many bugs and stuff! :D:D

firefighterjake
01-12-2010, 09:21 AM
Sometimes I just have to shake my head and wonder about human beings in general -- I mean c'mon folks . . . it's a movie, not the real world and no reason to get depressed.

Team V3
01-13-2010, 07:30 PM
People are so caught up in the movie I guess. YES, real life is more boring and less colorful. Deal with it.

NativeMainer
01-14-2010, 12:10 AM
My wife and I went to see the movie this afternoon on the IMAX in Saco. First time I've been in that theater, even though I live only one town over. Good movie. The special effects were great. I felt as if some things were whizzing by my head as they entered the scene.

cano
01-16-2010, 12:32 PM
So IMAX in Saco is the only 3D cinema in Maine?

WhereRWe?
01-16-2010, 01:14 PM
So IMAX in Saco is the only 3D cinema in Maine?

No. We went to the Flagship Cinema in Waterville and saw it in 3D.

But I believe the IMAX in Saco is the only IMAX theater in Maine.

:D:D

cano
01-16-2010, 01:57 PM
No. We went to the Flagship Cinema in Waterville and saw it in 3D.

But I believe the IMAX in Saco is the only IMAX theater in Maine.

Looks like the closest Flagship Cinema is in Waterville. We are getting closer, but still... any other cinemas with 3D? I called all cinemas near Bangor and either they did not respond or was not 3D :(

WhereRWe?
01-16-2010, 02:16 PM
Looks like the closest Flagship Cinema is in Waterville. We are getting closer, but still... any other cinemas with 3D? I called all cinemas near Bangor and either they did not respond or was not 3D :(

The Bangor Mall cinema (http://www.mainetoday.com/theater.html?TheaterID=AAFXB) states that it is showing Avatar 3D. Also the Spotlight Cinema (http://www.mrmovietimes.com/movie-theaters/Spotlight-Cinemas.html?date=0) in Orono.

cano
01-16-2010, 02:22 PM
The Bangor Mall cinema (http://www.mainetoday.com/theater.html?TheaterID=AAFXB) states that it is showing Avatar 3D. Also the Spotlight Cinema (http://www.mrmovietimes.com/movie-theaters/Spotlight-Cinemas.html?date=0) in Orono.
I know, but is it 3D, I called there and the guy has no clue :(

WhereRWe?
01-16-2010, 02:42 PM
I know, but is it 3D, I called there and the guy has no clue :(

Well, there is "Avatar", and then there is "Avatar 3D". Both theaters show their listings as "Avatar 3D". Call again and ask if they give out a pair of glasses when you buy your ticket. LOL!

Sheesh! Or just go and see it in Waterville! :D:D

Mainiac1957
01-16-2010, 02:53 PM
There's is in 3D. You wear the glasses and viola! Attack of the big blue people. :D

cano
01-16-2010, 07:28 PM
Just returned from Avatar in 3D :)
Pandora is awesome, Earth totally sucks. This is really for suicide, anybody wants adopt my caches?

WhereRWe?
01-16-2010, 07:33 PM
Just returned from Avatar in 3D :)
Pandora is awesome, Earth totally sucks. This is really for suicide, anybody wants adopt my caches?

LOL! Sheesh, like I said at the beginning: best movie I've seen in 30 years!

;);)

attroll
01-16-2010, 11:48 PM
I went to Lewiston tonight and saw it in 3D. What an awesome movie.

Ekidokai
01-17-2010, 12:49 AM
Pandora does not exist Cano. There is no need to take any drastic actions. The afterlife is not all that's it's cracked up to be. I'm an expert of this and Earth is much better.

WhereRWe?
01-17-2010, 08:00 AM
Pandora does not exist Cano. There is no need to take any drastic actions. The afterlife is not all that's it's cracked up to be. I'm an expert of this and Earth is much better.

You know, with a little photoshopping, I bet you could turn that white-faced avatar of yours blue! LOL!

JustKev
01-17-2010, 08:10 AM
You know, with a little photoshopping, I bet you could turn that white-faced avatar of yours blue! LOL!

Don't say that too loud, RCWhit might hear it. :)

brdad
01-17-2010, 08:58 AM

I'm pretty sure that would be considered making fun of members, which is against the forum guidelines. :D

Waterski
01-17-2010, 06:12 PM
Are these movies really in 3d? I saw it at the flagship in Rockland. There were no glasses...my son told me glasses would not work on this film anyway as the image would look double. Are you serious that they gave you glasses? He saw it and Saco at the Imax. I am looking for a closer theater that is really 3 d. Did you all really see it in 3d?

WhereRWe?
01-17-2010, 06:22 PM
Are these movies really in 3d? I saw it at the flagship in Rockland. There were no glasses...my son told me glasses would not work on this film anyway as the image would look double. Are you serious that they gave you glasses? He saw it and Saco at the Imax. I am looking for a closer theater that is really 3 d. Did you all really see it in 3d?

Yes - we saw it in 3D - had the glasses and everything. (Not like the old paper 3D glasses - these were fairly nice plastic. They weren't uncomfortable at all.)

If you're watching the movie in 3D, and take the glasses off and watch without them for a few minutes, you REALLY appreciate 3D. It totally makes the movie. :D:D

cano
01-17-2010, 06:37 PM

Yes it's 3D with glasses. However the 3D experience is very low. Forget about floating stuff in front of you. You may go to see 2D as well. This movie has the worst 3D experience I have ever experienced and I have seen quite a lot 3D movies. I only go to 3D movies. I was only once in my life in 2D movie and after I saw a 3D I made a resolution I will never go to 2D again and I never did :)

WhereRWe?
01-17-2010, 06:49 PM
Yes it's 3D with glasses. However the 3D experience is very low. Forget about floating stuff in front of you.

Some of us disagree. I know I ducked a couple of times when those floaters came at me, and someone else in this thread mentioned doing it as well.

But for most of us, 3D is a fairly new experience, so...

cano
01-17-2010, 07:27 PM
Some of us disagree. I know I ducked a couple of times when those floaters came at me, and someone else in this thread mentioned doing it as well.

But for most of us, 3D is a fairly new experience, so...

Well, I have seen some movies made especially for 3D experience and nothing else, like a technology demo. Avatar was just some movie that happened to be 3D, nothing special.

Team V3
01-23-2010, 12:19 PM
While I thought the 3D was impressive, the movie was solid enough so it would be enjoyable with or without the affects.