View Full Version : Winter campout(s)

tat
01-10-2010, 09:07 PM
It's that time of year!!! Time for winter camping!

For the last few years, we've had an camping event in Abbot around the first of March. Rumor has it, the event will happen again this year.

Is anyone interested in more camping events?

Some possibilities inclused: Webb Lake (2mi), Piazza Rock (2mi), Bradbury Mtn (200ft) or Blackwoods (500ft).

CARoperPhotography
01-10-2010, 09:28 PM
TAT! Wow, my favorite activity? Well, ONE of my favorite activities! Winter camping.... too bad most others DON'T want to be involved in this fun. I'd be interested in this ind of thing. But why wait till March? I have my "winter preparedness" pack in my Jeep which has my MSR stove, MSR water filter, North Face mountain tent, a OR Bivouac, two sleeping bags, fuel, MSR Denali snow shoes, extra clothes, all kinds of junk all set up ready to go. I need a good excuse to put it all to good use this season! I am VERRRYYYYY interested!

cano
01-10-2010, 10:09 PM

For the last few years, we've had an camping event in Abbot around the first of March. Rumor has it, the event will happen again this year.

Some possibilities inclused: Webb Lake (2mi), Piazza Rock (2mi), Bradbury Mtn (200ft) or Blackwoods (500ft).

I've never been winter camping, I guess I can give it a try. I prefer a place where I can have my car in close vicinity though :)

CARoperPhotography
01-10-2010, 10:13 PM
Your car? I doubt we'd agree on a location then, Cano.....

Trick or Treat
01-10-2010, 10:31 PM
I'd be up for Bradbury. That way if I can't take it, I can be back home in under 5!

dubord207
01-11-2010, 07:28 AM
Di and I do this every winter. This year we're going to camp iin San Juan mid-March! Anybody want to come along? The "campground" has a nice beach and a pool that has bar stools in the pool so you can swim up the bar if you need one of those fruity drinks with pineapple and umbrellas bristling out the top!;)

Hiram357
01-11-2010, 07:37 AM

*raises hand* oooh oooh ooh!! I will! :D

TRF
01-11-2010, 07:48 AM
Di and I do this every winter. This year we're going to camp iin San Juan mid-March! Anybody want to come along? The "campground" has a nice beach and a pool that has bar stools in the pool so you can swim up the bar if you need one of those fruity drinks with pineapple and umbrellas bristling out the top!;)

THIS is my kind of winter camping. I'm ready. :) Unfortunately my wallet isn't. :(

Have Fun!!!

firefighterjake
01-11-2010, 08:42 AM

I think Heidi and I are going to do this winter camping trip this year as well . . . except it probably will not be San Juan this year and we don't really drink any of those foo-foo drinks. ;):D

pm28570
01-11-2010, 09:18 AM
:D I can see the dog swimming up to the bar for his beer.....

cano
01-11-2010, 11:20 AM

I'll be there beginning of April. What's the name of the hotel you are talking about?

attroll
01-11-2010, 01:57 PM
If this happens before I leave in March, I would very much be interested.

robt
01-11-2010, 02:21 PM
I am allsways game for that!!! I even have permision to take ethan this year :D:D:D:D:D

hollora
01-11-2010, 03:13 PM
TAT! Wow, my favorite activity? Well, ONE of my favorite activities! Winter camping.... too bad most others DON'T want to be involved in this fun. I'd be interested in this ind of thing. But why wait till March? I have my "winter preparedness" pack in my Jeep which has my MSR stove, MSR water filter, North Face mountain tent, a OR Bivouac, two sleeping bags, fuel, MSR Denali snow shoes, extra clothes, all kinds of junk all set up ready to go. I need a good excuse to put it all to good use this season! I am VERRRYYYYY interested!

Did you miss this one? GC22QQZ (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=89d62dbf-58ac-402f-b1c4-640c06979162&log=y&decrypt=) ;)

hollora
01-11-2010, 03:15 PM

Oh, I also like this kind of camping - just can't get that far away during tax season! :(:(

tat
01-11-2010, 09:39 PM
I sure didn't forget about the Cabin Fever Event!! It would be a great chance for anyone who is even a little concerned about their gear to try it out. If you get cold, just pull up a spot on the floor!

If anyone wants to see how to get set up cheaply, we could have a display set up at the Celebrate 2009 event. Winter camping does not have to be expensive.

It looks like there's quite a bit of interest in Bradbury Mtn. It's as close to the parking as you can get! It's a great place to have a day event with camping afterward. And, there's lots of caches! Would 6/7Feb be a good time?

I'd still like to go on a bit longer hike if there's enough interest in Webb Lake or Piazza or if someone has another idea.

hollora
01-11-2010, 10:04 PM
TAT it was not you - I wondered about - rather CANO might have missed it. After chat tonight I am sure he didn't. Hope to make that one - where there is a cabin - the tenting ones.......perhaps not but maybe to come for the day. Time will tell. Woo hoo - working Monday - Friday and not weekends!

tat
01-19-2010, 07:35 AM
http://www.geocaching.com/images/WptTypes/6.gif (http://www.geocaching.com/about/cache_types.aspx) GC234CN Grab your Snowshoes Again!

This is an easy event to attend. Drop by for just a few minutes or stay the night! Either way just a short walk to the pavilion or the campground.

http://www.geocaching.com/images/WptTypes/6.gif (http://www.geocaching.com/about/cache_types.aspx) GC2337H Maine's Winter Camping Event 2010

Back to the bog this year! The wood is cut and the parachute is ready!

And don't forget this weekend:

http://www.geocaching.com/images/WptTypes/6.gif (http://www.geocaching.com/about/cache_types.aspx) GC22QQZ Cabin Fever 2010

Camp outside or stay in the warm cabin

tat
02-01-2010, 07:35 PM
Looks a beautiful, bright, sunny day for Saturday! Hope to see you out there!

Trick or Treat
02-01-2010, 09:55 PM
We'll be there. Who's planning on spending the night?

tat
02-28-2010, 07:22 PM
Due to the recent wet warm weather, GC2337H Maine's Winter Camping Event 2010 has been canceled.

The bog is under about a foot of water! :(

Hopefully, next year will there will be more snow.

Hiram357
02-28-2010, 08:05 PM
Due to the recent wet warm weather, GC2337H Maine's Winter Camping Event 2010 has been canceled.

The bog is under about a foot of water! :(

Hopefully, next year will there will be more snow.

this happens every time I buy new winter gear... when I bought my snowshoes we has less than a foot of snow for the year, this year I bought new boots and a new bag... sorry, it's all my fault.... :(

hollora
02-28-2010, 08:13 PM
Aw, that is so sad. I was at a Winter Conservation type event today at the Brewer Auditorium and there was great discussion about the conditions on Moosehead. Actually scary for some folks yesterday out on the ice. Plenty of ice I guess but a ton of water and slush.

Better to stay safe than sorry for sure.

Hey Hiram - not your fault at all - just the draw of the cards my friend.

Mainiac1957
02-28-2010, 08:23 PM
It really is his fault. He told me so just this afternoon.

hollora
02-28-2010, 08:26 PM
K - whatever you want to agree on........if you really want a bonfire I have a HUGE pile to burn - come on down Saturday night and we will roast hot dogs LOL I don't have water - I have slush and mud but the deck is just wet. LOL

Hiram357
02-28-2010, 10:25 PM
K - whatever you want to agree on........if you really want a bonfire I have a HUGE pile to burn - come on down Saturday night and we will roast hot dogs LOL I don't have water - I have slush and mud but the deck is just wet. LOL

a bonfire on the deck!?! :D:D:D

hollora
02-28-2010, 11:24 PM
Ah - not exactly sooooo - but a bonfire OF the deck (the old one) whick was torn off is in order LOL Let me know if anyone is on for a roast on Saturday night. It is open and definitely a can do!

attroll
03-01-2010, 03:04 AM
I would still like to have a get together of some sort. On the 7th I will only have 10 days left before I leave.

firefighterjake
03-01-2010, 08:48 AM
this happens every time I buy new winter gear... when I bought my snowshoes we has less than a foot of snow for the year, this year I bought new boots and a new bag... sorry, it's all my fault.... :(

So you're the one to blame for the lack of snow . . . thanks a lot Hiram -- snowmobiling was terrible this year . . . and all this time I thought it was due to my brother-in-law who bought a used sled for his girlfriend . . . and now I find it was you. ;)

vicbiker
03-01-2010, 07:17 PM
Just about anything that ever goes wrong has something to do with Hiram...not sure why...but it's usually his fault...if you hadn't bought new gear we would be camping in four feet of snow this weekend. LOL

dubord207
03-01-2010, 09:20 PM
Please, please, please, Aaron, Hiram, whatever you call yourself, stay the heck away from Sugarloaf. They have 64 inches of new snow, and they don't want it all to melt!:D

Hiram357
03-01-2010, 09:22 PM
well since there's no snow here I just bought my lift tickets to Sugarloaf... :rolleyes:

hollora
03-01-2010, 09:29 PM
well since there's no snow here I just bought my lift tickets to Sugarloaf... :rolleyes:

Trying out the new bag at the top?;)

tat
03-02-2010, 07:32 AM
If anyone is interested in camping anyway, there may be enough snow at Mt. Blue State park and there are some other places in the Abbot area that my be accessible.

tat
03-02-2010, 07:44 PM
We found another site that looks like it has snow (lots of snow!!!) and has parking and allows camping!!

N45°11.213' W70°9.474'

The coords. above are for the parking. The campsite will be within a short ski/snowshoe distance from the parking. We plan to place a temporary "cache" with the coordinates at the coords above.

There are quite a few caches in the area if you didn't find them during the Eustis event! :)

dubord207
03-02-2010, 08:29 PM
We found another site that looks like it has snow (lots of snow!!!) and has parking and allows camping!!

N45°11.213' W70°9.474'

The coords. above are for the parking. The campsite will be within a short ski/snowshoe distance from the parking. We plan to place a temporary "cache" with the coordinates at the coords above.

There are quite a few caches in the area if you didn't find them during the Eustis event! :)

Aren't those the coords where those silly snowboarders were found after they ran out of pot and their snow forts caved in on them?:D

kayaking loon
03-03-2010, 09:32 AM
If you're going anywhere near the Maine Huts & Trails Flagstaff Hut, will someone please, please find the cache I put out there a couple of years ago and get the coin I put in it? The coin came from a German cacher who came to Eustis, gave me the coin, which is supposed to travel back to him. It's been in that cache for more than a year now. Thanks!

Is the Carriage Road plowed in the winter??

tat
03-03-2010, 10:13 AM
I tried to find that cache last year in winter, but there was too much snow. I hope the coin is still there!

attroll
03-03-2010, 10:45 AM
Any chance on getting coords for the get together. I can not spend the night but want to show up.

tat
03-03-2010, 01:35 PM
We don't know exactly where we'll set up camp. It won't be far from the posted coords. I plan to hike back out the place more information in an ammo box at the posted coords.

kayaking loon
03-03-2010, 03:03 PM
I tried to find that cache last year in winter, but there was too much snow. I hope the coin is still there!

It was there this fall, during the event.

Kaching Karen
03-03-2010, 07:04 PM
If you're going anywhere near the Maine Huts & Trails Flagstaff Hut, will someone please, please find the cache I put out there a couple of years ago and get the coin I put in it? The coin came from a German cacher who came to Eustis, gave me the coin, which is supposed to travel back to him. It's been in that cache for more than a year now. Thanks!

Is the Carriage Road plowed in the winter??

Sounds like an adventure!

firefighterjake
03-04-2010, 08:43 AM
Sounds like an adventure!

A quest . . . perhaps it is time to form a fellowship . . . and we will call it The Fellowship of the Cache.

We shall assemble a fellowship of like-minded souls . . . from the south I Etoh the Great Glassen Dwarf from the Lochocla Mountains . . . from the north you Aaronswen the Great Prince King of the Bangorian Tribe . . . . and also from the north the hobbit known simply as Connie . . . and if luck and perseverance are on our side we may add more to our fellowship . . . from the East mayhaps we may add to our fellowship with the Great White Wizard Maniacinish and his loyal and faithful elven companion QuiltingMommera of the Barneyian Elven Faithful.

Together this fellowship shall be tasked with finding (and signing) the many and legendary Lock N' Lock Boxes with the hope of finding the one true Box that shall rule them all . . . the cache known as the one which was crafted by the most devious and evil of all the cachers . . . Mapachiniininininini and the Dark Wizard Evil Terryon . . . who now dwell on Mt. Doom in the land known as Mordor . . . or simply Augusta . . . a foul and dank place haunted by many evil souls . . . although most know them as politicians.

Three caches for the Elven-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die,
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor/Augusta where the Shadows lie
One cache to rule them all, One cache to find them,
One cache to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of Mordor/Augusta where the Shadows lie.

---

By the way, Aaron says I need to lay off the Moxie since it seems to be affecting my thinking.;):D

Ekidokai
03-04-2010, 08:50 AM
Moxie, yeah thats whats doing it.

pm28570
03-04-2010, 09:02 AM
A quest . . . perhaps it is time to form a fellowship . . . and we will call it The Fellowship of the Cache.

We shall assemble a fellowship of like-minded souls . . . from the south I Etoh the Great Glassen Dwarf from the Lochocla Mountains . . . from the north you Aaronswen the Great Prince King of the Bangorian Tribe . . . . and also from the north the hobbit known simply as Connie . . . and if luck and perseverance are on our side we may add more to our fellowship . . . from the East mayhaps we may add to our fellowship with the Great White Wizard Maniacinish and his loyal and faithful elven companion QuiltingMommera of the Barneyian Elven Faithful.

Sit down, bro. Are you sitting? You may never hear this again. Listen to Aaron! :D
Oh, and thanks for contributing to spilling my coffee as I laughed.

Waterski
03-04-2010, 10:07 AM
Sounds like a box office hit for sure. Either that, or a bad dream.

firefighterjake
03-04-2010, 02:18 PM
Sounds like a box office hit for sure. Either that, or a bad dream.

Oh you wouldn't want to know about my dreams . . . the other night I had a recurring dream about llamas . . . well I think they were llamas . . . maybe they were alpacas. Kept me up quite a bit of the night.

Waterski
03-04-2010, 03:12 PM
That must have been a-llarming. Better check that out with a dream therapist. There must be some underlying message for sure. Any ideas anyone?

Waterski
03-04-2010, 03:16 PM
To get this tread back on track...it probably meant that llarmas should be taken on this winter campout event to carry the cache gear. Yes, I am sure that was it.

Hiram357
03-04-2010, 04:00 PM

Together this fellowship shall be tasked with finding (and signing) the many and legendary Lock N' Lock Boxes with the hope of finding the one true Box that shall rule them all . . . the cache known as the one which was crafted by the most devious and evil of all the cachers . . . Mapachiniininininini and the Dark Wizard Evil Terryon . . . who now dwell on Mt. Doom in the land known as Mordor . . . or simply Augusta . . . a foul and dank place haunted by many evil souls . . . although most know them as politicians.

Three caches for the Elven-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die,
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor/Augusta where the Shadows lie
One cache to rule them all, One cache to find them,
One cache to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of Mordor/Augusta where the Shadows lie.

---

By the way, Aaron says I need to lay off the Moxie since it seems to be affecting my thinking.;):D

I don't know Jake... maybe you should START doing drugs.... it might turn you normal... ;):rolleyes::p:p:D

WhereRWe?
03-04-2010, 06:06 PM

Moxie contains gentian root extract, which is good for the liver (http://www.liveandfeel.com/medicinalplants/gentian.html) - something Hiram needs...

;);)

dubord207
03-04-2010, 07:33 PM
Oh you wouldn't want to know about my dreams . . . the other night I had a recurring dream about llamas . . . well I think they were llamas . . . maybe they were alpacas. Kept me up quite a bit of the night.

Thank God those lying son's of bitches can't talk!:D

Hiram357
03-04-2010, 11:30 PM
Moxie contains gentian root extract, which is good for the liver (http://www.liveandfeel.com/medicinalplants/gentian.html) - something Hiram needs...

;);)

heh, unless the gentian root can replace the liver, it probably won't do me much good! :rolleyes::D

firefighterjake
03-05-2010, 08:37 AM
I don't know Jake... maybe you should START doing drugs.... it might turn you normal... ;):rolleyes::p:p:D

I don't know Hiram . . . don't you remember how Mrs. Firefighterjake cut me off at Camp Jakeawana . . . apparently she thought I was a bit too happy from drinking the Woodchucks you bought for me.;):D

firefighterjake
03-05-2010, 08:38 AM
Thank God those lying son's of bitches can't talk!:D

Or maybe they can . . . they're just the strong, silent types.

firefighterjake
03-05-2010, 08:53 AM
OK, skip the Lord of the Ring Fellowship stuff . . . I'm putting away my golden helm of senility, bronze ax of ludicrousness and instead I'm going where no man has gone before . . . oops . . . mixing up my Star saga/soap operas . . .

A long time ago, in the southern part of Maine far, far away.

Episode IV, A NEW HOPE

It is a period of civil war. Rebel geocachers, striking from a hidden base in Brewer on Getchell Street in the third house on the right with the white trim and yellow siding, have won their first victory by traveling south past Augusta, deep in unknown territory. During the battle, Rebel geocachers managed to steal secret plans to the Empire’s ultimate weapon, the Micro Nano Death Star, a cache smaller than even a nano . . . a cache that may prove the undoing of the Rebel Geocachers. Pursued by the Empire’s sinister agents, Princess Quilting Mom races home aboard her starship, custodian of the stolen Micro Nano Death Star that can save her people and restore freedom to the galaxy….

Now join us on our quest . . .

Featuring

Obi Won Maniacobi . . . a once vaunted Jedi General with many cache finds under his belt

Hiram Solo . . . the swash-buckling, hard drinking, good-time having devil may care adventurer

FirefighterLuke . . . Obi Wan Maniacobi's future geocaching apprentice (Hiram wanted me to be Chewbacca since he said it would be more fitting with the rarely seen Yeti-like appearances of me at Geo Events . . . but I'm not tall enough . . . perhaps more fitting would be the fat guy with Red Squadron that gets blown up . . . but I'm not so sure I want to get blown up.)

And R2D2 . . . featuring a certain gal of small stature wearing a trash can over her head (hey I was going to make her an Ewok or Jawa, but I don't have the budget to make an Ewok costume)

attroll
03-05-2010, 06:28 PM
Could someone post what time everyone is getting together tomorrow and for those coming later on how will we know here you all will be at?

cano
03-05-2010, 07:45 PM
Could someone post what time everyone is getting together tomorrow and for those coming later on how will we know here you all will be at?
Whats going on tomorrow?

tat
03-05-2010, 08:33 PM
I will place an ammo box at N45°11.213' W70°9.474' tomorrow at 9am.

I will go back and place a note with the coordinates for the campsite after we set up camp.

During the day, we plan to go to Flagstaff Hut, to rescue a geocoin for Kayaking Loon.

(GC1HBY7)

attroll
03-05-2010, 08:57 PM
Lets here who from anyone else that is planning to show up?

Ekidokai
03-06-2010, 02:01 AM
Not me, too hurt.

tat
03-06-2010, 06:26 AM
I think it's only going to be a few this year. If you happen by, you're all more than welcome.

Waterski
03-07-2010, 11:17 PM
What is the grand finale on the coin rescue?? Inquiring minds want to know if you accomplished the goal......

tat
03-08-2010, 10:14 AM
The coin has been rescued!! The winter campout die hards found a great camping little spot in a revine not far from where the coin was stranded.

It was a fantastic weekend to be out in the woods!

kayaking loon
03-11-2010, 10:14 AM
The coin has been rescued!! The winter campout die hards found a great camping little spot in a revine not far from where the coin was stranded.

It was a fantastic weekend to be out in the woods!

Thank you, thank you! Now if the coin can just get traveling (safely)... to somewhere interesting and then maybe years from now, back to Germany and Toronar. :)

That cache gets so little use I'm wondering if it is worth keeping it out there....I thought a lot of cachers would be visiting that second Hut.

tat
03-11-2010, 01:38 PM
I love caches that are out of the way! Besides, maintenance is easy on caches that aren't found much.

The coin will be moved along soon.

kayaking loon
03-21-2010, 06:40 PM
So who has the coin?? It hasn't been logged out of the cache yet.

:confused:
The coin will be moved along soon.[/QUOTE]

JustKev
03-21-2010, 08:46 PM
This thread needs to be closed. It is no longer winter.

:)

tat
03-21-2010, 09:32 PM
I have the coin! I will get it logged and put back out soon.