View Full Version : A Cache Idea

Team V3
01-25-2010, 09:57 PM
Greetings everyone! I wanted to let you all in on a possible cache idea I had. I want to do a tribute to all of my Maine caching friends down here in NC. Before I do it, I want to see how many of you would be open to the idea of me including you. What I want to do is get ahold of some small containers for micros.... I would place these in an ammo can that I already have complete with their own logs. NC cachers would find these micros and place them somewhere and hide a cache with a Maine cacher in its name. Then you the Maine cachers will be notified that there is a namesake cache somewhere else. I figure it may give Mainers a glimpse of a location elsewhere. Also, I think it would be cool for cachers both down here and up there to interact and get to know each other. However, I will not include a seed cache for anyone who does not want to be included. Also, it will be an optional point of the cache. Let me know what you all think!

brdad
01-25-2010, 10:00 PM
Seed Cache!?! Ack! Need I say more? lol

Team V3
01-25-2010, 10:04 PM
LOL I take that as a no from you. ;)

NativeMainer
01-25-2010, 11:19 PM
I'm fine with it. I've already got a tribute cache to me up on SMR. I'll have to go visit it sometime, I guess. ;)

Team V3
01-25-2010, 11:27 PM
I do too. But I have yet to check it out. Probably won't for a while now. A long way to commute for a find lol

WhereRWe?
01-26-2010, 08:28 AM
Put me on the same list as Brdad. :D:D

kayaking loon
01-26-2010, 08:33 AM
I like the idea. That's as close as I'll get to a trip to the sunny south. I'd even send you some of my pathtags to put in mine. :)

Team V3
01-26-2010, 10:15 AM
One other possibility that someone down here had mentioned is to create a bunch of cards or something. Each card has the name of a cacher up there that has some hides. If someone takes a card, they try to do a similar hide down here. Of course, taking a card would be the optional part and not necessary to get a smiley. This could possibly be done on index cards. Who knows... Maybe any Maine cachers who participate can see if they can pick any of their favorite hides or at least narrow it down to a few.

brdad
01-26-2010, 10:18 AM
Now that seems like a unique idea in which the caches hidden might actually reflect the cacher on the card.

Team V3
01-26-2010, 10:23 AM
I agree. Two people down here have already said they like the idea and would do it. Also, that way the new hides would not necessarily have to be micros.

CARoperPhotography
01-26-2010, 07:10 PM
You may happily include my caching name, SeriousTool with your cache, Skip!

vicbiker
01-26-2010, 08:46 PM
Skip, if you think it's a good idea...then I'm O.K. with it.

cachecrashers4
01-26-2010, 09:00 PM
I'm ok with it.

shuman road searchers
01-26-2010, 09:11 PM
Because I went to school with your wife, go ahead

dubord207
01-26-2010, 09:15 PM
Put me down. Might mention "dubord207, first 1/2 hour, no charge!";)

brdad
01-26-2010, 09:24 PM
2nd half hour, hand over your wallet and your first born!

The second idea reminded me of Cache Cards. I picked one of these up back in the early days and still have it my sig item jar. I took a minute to look it up and amazingly the the is till up, though it appears to have not been updated since 2004! Cachecards.com (http://www.fredraab.com/cachecards/index.htm)

hollora
01-27-2010, 01:30 AM
I'm ok with it - sounds like it could be nice.

dubord207
01-27-2010, 07:11 AM
2nd half hour, hand over your wallet and your first born!

The second idea reminded me of Cache Cards. I picked one of these up back in the early days and still have it my sig item jar. I took a minute to look it up and amazingly the the is till up, though it appears to have not been updated since 2004! Cachecards.com (http://www.fredraab.com/cachecards/index.htm)

Wallet, first born AND the keys to your car!:D Unless it's a new Toyota

firefighterjake
01-27-2010, 08:48 AM
I like the second idea . . . pretty unique. Feel free to use me. . . .

pm28570
01-27-2010, 10:47 AM
You know, I like the concept. It involves a lot of different cachers in 2 or more states and encourages caching to "bloom".

hollora
01-27-2010, 10:35 PM
Wallet, first born AND the keys to your car!:D Unless it's a new Toyota

Hee - wallet has nothing in it, first born is a son (a firefighter/EMT-I - maybe useful to you - at least you will speak a common language - and he loves to hike and camp) - and the keys are to a 2007 Toyota BUT it's a 4 Runner ;) LOL

NativeMainer
01-28-2010, 11:03 AM
I haven't thought it all the way through yet, but I had a thought this morning. Would your geocaching friends down in NC like to have some tribute caches placed up here in their name like you're doing down there? Set up some sort of cache exchange, creating new geocaching buddies...

Team V3
01-28-2010, 06:37 PM
That might be a fun idea. What I wanted to do was have it set up so that the NC cachers would message the Maine cachers that they would be interested in doing a tribute to. I had the same thought. It would just be cool for cachers to get to know others out of their normal zone. There are some very clever puzzle people down here and there are some truly devious hides. One of the cachers down here is actually known on his underground hides. I have yet to have the guts to make any of those finds and I doubt Melissa or Cole would go with me when I do.

Team V3
01-28-2010, 06:40 PM
I will give this thread just a little bit longer before I start putting it together. Once I have a good amount of people in on it I will be sending messages out to find out what your favorite hides may be. Something that resembles your particular style perhaps. Either a type of hide or a type of puzzle....or even a type of location that you are routinely drawn to.

robt
01-29-2010, 02:32 PM
Iwould be game... Even might have to take a trip that way to do the cache.

Ekidokai
01-29-2010, 02:46 PM
Sounds good

tat
01-29-2010, 05:08 PM
Oh, have I got a good one for you! Have you ever heard of the long loop? It's a mountain bike trail in the Wilson Creek area. I'll pm you.

Team V3
01-31-2010, 11:55 AM
So the local reviewer e-mailed me back and said that he okays my idea as long as I do not go against any of the guidelines. (For instance, the part about people hiding another cache is an option and not a logging requirement.) I am going to do some planning today and then message those of you who said you would like to contribute. If anyone comes along after and wants to contribute I can just add those people in as we go.

Team V3
02-05-2010, 01:08 PM
Ok, so I have the following list for those who are ok with contributing to my tribute cache...

Native Mainer
Kayaking Loon
Serious Tool
Vicbiker
Cachecrashers4
Shuman Road Searchers
Dubord207
Hollora
Firefighterjake
PM28570
Robt

I hope I did not miss anyone. What I need for the next step is a pm on either here or Facebook from each of you on some of your personal hides which you think sums your style or personality. It can be one hide or a few, so I can refer to the GC numbers on your card. Then explain to me WHY you chose those hides.

brdad
02-05-2010, 01:49 PM
I don't mind you using me for the second idea if you want to. I just don't want to be compared to some micro on the side of the road somewhere. :D

I think my You Sank My Battleship! (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=3cd31003-b73f-4ba5-8818-ad0695143186) (GCB688) by brdad (http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?id=61905) (4/2) cache is probably my most unique hide. A few clones have been hidden as far away as England and they all seem to get favorable logs.

CARoperPhotography
02-05-2010, 02:08 PM
Brdad... I resemble that remark!

brdad
02-05-2010, 02:20 PM
Brdad... I resemble that remark!

Ya, but it's ok because I didn't name names. :D

CARoperPhotography
02-05-2010, 03:11 PM
See, the funny thing is, even though I have 290 hides, truly the majority are worthwhile hides that even you would enjoy I think. Most are challenging, and I have some hard 5 hides including underwater ones and hides which bring you to some very special locations.

Team V3
02-05-2010, 03:26 PM
My attitude is this. My favorite cache to seek out is one I have not found yet :) I do like good puzzles but I do not mind "micros at the side of the road" either. I love historical ones and I love long hikes in nature. I am just not picky. Lately, we have been trying to find ones at the nice parks because then we can cache for a bit and then let Cole play on the playground. He has also been more into the caching now that he is actually looking for them more. We have even been teaching him some of the classic micro hides.

Team Richards
02-07-2010, 08:17 AM
Sounds like a good way to get to know some other cachers, and I like the idea that you ask about our favorite hides. What a lot of work for you. If we can send you a container or two , or anything else let us know.

brdad
02-07-2010, 08:42 AM
Sounds like a good way to get to know some other cachers, and I like the idea that you ask about our favorite hides. What a lot of work for you. If we can send you a container or two , or anything else let us know.

That's actually a neat idea that could be expanded on, short of shipping charges for those of us that prefer larger containers like ammo boxes:
Have people make up a container (possibly even filled) on one end of their style and send it down, could even be a swap. This would work great if someone was traveling between the two states.

Team V3
02-07-2010, 10:13 AM
I chose not to do the container idea because that sounded too much like a seed cache as you had mentioned. What I am hoping this does is inspire Southeastern cachers to contact the Maine cachers and exchange ideas. While I realize that this may or may not happen, I do think we will see some of the cachers do this.

Haffy
02-07-2010, 01:38 PM
I had a lot of fun with this particular type of cache. Locationless,reverse. I even got a cache named after me in Iowa by Iowa Tom. He named one after me after he helped me out with mine. Course they are all locked and archived now but it was interesting just the same. This is one I helped out Outdoorman63 with. 20 below zero that day,,,,brrrrrr.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=877b249b-436f-4732-830c-1a90b07c5516

EMSDanel
02-09-2010, 06:56 PM
Count me in as well. I think the whole concept sounds like fun.

Mapachi
02-09-2010, 08:04 PM
Ok, so I have the following list for those who are ok with contributing to my tribute cache...

Native Mainer
Kayaking Loon
Serious Tool
Vicbiker
Cachecrashers4
Shuman Road Searchers
Dubord207
Hollora
Firefighterjake
PM28570
Robt

I hope I did not miss anyone. What I need for the next step is a pm on either here or Facebook from each of you on some of your personal hides which you think sums your style or personality. It can be one hide or a few, so I can refer to the GC numbers on your card. Then explain to me WHY you chose those hides.

Count me in! Do they have White Birches down there?

Team V3
02-09-2010, 11:39 PM
I did find this link on the trees of North Carolina

http://www.ibiblio.org/pic/nctrees.htm

I have not seen any White Birch trees

Team V3
02-09-2010, 11:47 PM
Ok, so I have added EMS Daniel, Mapachi and BRDAD. This idea is shaping up to be a cool project. To those that have already PMed me. Thank you. Tomorrow I hope to get some index cards and start writing down your entries. Then I will be seeking out a good park location to make my hide. Maybe it will be a good spot for some Maine travel bugs as well. :)

EMSDanel
02-10-2010, 08:04 AM
Ooops.... please make sure that reads EMSDanel and not EMSDaniel....

firefighterjake
02-10-2010, 08:36 AM
Count me in! Do they have White Birches down there?

Even if they don't have white birches, I'm willing to bet they have rocks! ;):D

Mapachi
02-10-2010, 09:00 PM
Even if they don't have white birches, I'm willing to bet they have rocks! ;):D
APPLES!!! and Lemon Drops!

Team V3
02-10-2010, 09:32 PM
Ooops.... please make sure that reads EMSDanel and not EMSDaniel....

LOL corrected myself after :)