View Full Version : I won't be placing or checking my caches this winter.

LaughingTerry
02-01-2010, 12:46 PM
Totaled car, shattered heel bone, awesome shiner from the airbag slamming my hand into my eye. LOL The car hit a huge rock, flipped up in the air, barrel rolled and came down on the drivers side facing the rock. I put all the pictures on my LaughingTerry facebook. I will know Friday if I have to have surgery. I am OK but sitting around all the time sucks big time.

http://j3.tagstat.com/image03/5/e46b/000x053JuhH.jpg

brdad
02-01-2010, 01:03 PM
Oh my word!
Glad you are ok. Don't hesitate to ask here for help with your caches, I am sure we can find people to help.

WhereRWe?
02-01-2010, 01:36 PM
Sheesh! I'll bet "Laughing Terry" isn't laughing right now...

Get well soon!

rcwhit
02-01-2010, 01:45 PM
Don't hesitate to ask here for help with your caches, I am sure we can find people to help.

Count me in if you need any thing checked or fixed down around the Augusta/Waterville area. Hope you're back up and caching soon!

Kaching Karen
02-01-2010, 01:55 PM
Okay, that hurt, but thank goodness you "walked" away from that. Take care of yourself, and of course, I'd be happy to help you with your caches.

TRF
02-01-2010, 02:00 PM
Was the rock "Right in Plain View" ?? Have a speedy recovery and hope to see you hobbling on the trail this coming spring.

pm28570
02-01-2010, 02:07 PM
Well, really glad to hear that you're basically ok. Good luck on Friday!

pm28570
02-01-2010, 02:08 PM
Uhhh......ya' gotta' find people who can find his caches......:D:rolleyes:

Don't hesitate to ask here for help with your caches, I am sure we can find people to help.

Haffy
02-01-2010, 02:10 PM
Yeah have a speedy recovery for sure. So what is your facebook name? Just typed in LaughTerry and nothing came up.

LaughingTerry
02-01-2010, 02:37 PM
Actually I was laughing with the cop and help that stopped before the ambulance got there, laughing in the ambulance with the EMT, laughing at the hospital with the nurses, and a couple days later laughing at the Drs office too. The EMT was amazed at how normal my blood pressure was just minutes after the crash and that I was laughing and telling stories instead of crying and moaning in pain.

The rock was definitely "right in Plain Sight" and I got a real good look at it as I was careening towards it. I was thinking " I wish I hadn't left my cell phone at home" Then when I realized I was gonna hit a rock instead of a snowbank I was thinking "I'm gonna total my car and it isn't paid for yet" LOL Then I had a "spin dryer" moment and it was over. They put a collapsible ladder in for me to climb (hop) up out of the car since it was laying on the drivers door.

Thanks for the offers of help everyone. I do appreciate it.

It's http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/LaughingTerry

Terry

shuman road searchers
02-01-2010, 05:06 PM
Get well soon!

dubord207
02-01-2010, 05:33 PM
Ok, it's pretty clear from your account that the rock was sole cause of your accident. We need to determine who that big sucker belongs to and who is in charge of the rock's maintenance. Was there any of the typical signs the DOT puts out, like "Caution, big, hard, honking rock ahead"? If not, then this too is Baldacci's fault and we need to go after him before he gets done and goes into hiding.

When you had your EVOC training in Norridgewock, did they put rocks on the course? Good thing you weren't in a cruiser because the AG's office would be just beginning a 6 month investigation.

Seriously, glad you're ok and I'm sure all in the caching community will help with any issues that might arise with your many caches.

In the meantime, get better, careful with buying a Toyota for a replacement and remember... 1 800 WIN WIN 1!;)

pm28570
02-01-2010, 05:45 PM
Any medical types out there can correct me however excessive laughter and giddiness can be an outward sign of a concussion........except in your case. You're Laughing Terry.

I think we all could take a lesson from you about handling life. :cool:

Actually I was laughing with the cop and help that stopped before the ambulance got there, laughing in the ambulance with the EMT, laughing at the hospital with the nurses, and a couple days later laughing at the Drs office too.

LaughingTerry
02-01-2010, 06:00 PM
There isn't much I don't laugh about. It seems to make life easier and confuses people to no end. LOL I will be replacing the Subaru Impreza Outback Sport with yet another Subaru Impreza Outback Sport. I love those cars.In fact I am going to Wisscassette tomorrow to look at an 05. From a safety standard I went from 45 mph to a dead stop and then flipped and barrel rolled landing less than 10 feet from the rock. One broken heel bone and a black eye. I'll take that any day of the week. LOL

dubord207
02-01-2010, 06:36 PM
Terry, give Dennis Crosen a call at S&T Motors in South China, 445-5050. This guy sells mostly Subaru's and he gets a lot of them from Florida. He has a great reputation in this area. My youngest son-in-law bought a Forester from him, 06 and the tranny failed about 9 months after he bought it. Dennis replaced it, his cost. He's out on Route 3 in South China, worth a stop. Like other lawyers, I'm cautious about referring folks to a used car place, but these guys are the best.

LaughingTerry
02-01-2010, 07:33 PM
I bought my first Impreza Outback Sport at S&T. My ex is still driving it with 225,000 miles or so on it. I called them and they don't have what I want on the lot. I was real impressed with them when I got that car. I drove an old Ford Probe in and drove out in the Impreza about 45 minutes later.

JustKev
02-01-2010, 09:01 PM
Thank goodness you're okay. Next time, miss the rock. :)

79olds
02-01-2010, 09:29 PM
Wow looks like you had a wild ride their glad to see that you are okay. I can get together with rcwhit and help him tend to any of your caches . Well i know its hard to sit back and take it easy but do it! so you can get better, take care and get well

Gob-ler
02-01-2010, 10:27 PM
All I got to say is that's what you get for chasing a Gob-ler - - - Actually, glad you are OK. The car can be replaced, you can't!

HermonFinder
02-01-2010, 11:16 PM
That does sound like a ruff ride. Take care.

Team V3
02-01-2010, 11:52 PM
Wow. All I can say is I am glad you are ok. Hope your recuperation goes smoothly.

NativeMainer
02-02-2010, 12:32 AM
Wow! Glad to hear that you're OK. I didn't think geocaching was a rough sport.

firefighterjake
02-02-2010, 08:42 AM
Terry, give Dennis Crosen a call at S&T Motors in South China, 445-5050. This guy sells mostly Subaru's and he gets a lot of them from Florida. He has a great reputation in this area. My youngest son-in-law bought a Forester from him, 06 and the tranny failed about 9 months after he bought it. Dennis replaced it, his cost. He's out on Route 3 in South China, worth a stop. Like other lawyers, I'm cautious about referring folks to a used car place, but these guys are the best.

A lawyer commenting on a used car salesman . . . somewhere here is a joke . . . I'm just not sure where . . .

Let's see . . . a lawyer, used car salesman and a guy who has just been in an accident go into a bar. . . .

On the serious side . . . get well soon Terry.

pjpreb
02-02-2010, 02:27 PM
Eek! Scary looking picture! Wishing you a speedy recovery!

benandtina
02-02-2010, 02:41 PM
Yikes! Sounds scary but glad you are on your way to recovery. Hopefully you won't need surgery and if you do, hopefully you'll have a speedy recuperation period!

EMSDanel
02-02-2010, 02:58 PM
No wonder my ears were burning....

I don't visit here daily like I used to but I had this sudden urge to check out GeocachingMaine.org and now I see why. Like Jake I'm thinking that it's not just a coincidence to have a lawyer, an ambulance, and a used car salesman all in the same paragraph. You didn't happen to tear the aluminum siding off a house while you were airborn did you?

Seriously, Terry, I'm very glad that your own personal damage was kept to a minimum. When a car rolls like that the outcome is often not pretty. I hope your heel "heals" rapidly and that you'll be able to support weight on it sometime soon.

Now, as far as the black eye goes: You should go back to using the normal and customary air bag that comes with the vehicle. I suspect that your black eye is the result of that large rubber chicken that inflated when you struck the rock......

EMSDanel
02-02-2010, 03:28 PM
Also, even thought I made fun, I hear our own Dubord207, Esq. really is a good attorney and I haven't heard any stories about him chasing ambulances. So Terry, if you do have to sue that rock, he comes highly recommended. Where did this accident occur?

Ekidokai
02-02-2010, 03:31 PM
Also, even thought I made fun, I hear our own Dubord207, Esq. really is a good attorney and I haven't heard any stories about him chasing ambulances. So Terry, if you do have to sue that rock, he comes highly recommended. Where did this accident occur?

It looks like it happened right near the rock.

EMSDanel
02-02-2010, 03:34 PM
Wow, you're quick for a night-owl!

dubord207
02-02-2010, 06:09 PM
My PI is already at the scene taking pictures of the rock, doing core samples of the tortious boulder as well as toxicology tests. The rock is now wrapped in yellow crime scene tape. We'll get to the bottom of this but the preliminary assessment the rock and the rock's owners are going to pay big!:D

cachecrashers4
02-02-2010, 08:43 PM
Glad you're ok. Hope you get back on your feet soon. Rock solid proof that the boulder wins every time.

Fins_Up
02-02-2010, 10:37 PM
Get well soon Terry. We will keep being tortured by all your caches we are trying to find in the meantime.

vicbiker
02-03-2010, 10:47 PM
I broke my heel last year...so have a good understanding of what you are going through. A word of caution...don't do what I did... went caching on crutches...did a winter camp out on crutches...even went and did my own "Deathwish cache" with the gang...have been paying for it ever since...damaged my shoulders from placing to much weight on them from supporting myself on the crutches. Also broke one pr. of crutches..got my cast wet and had to have it replaced before my foot rotted off.

LaughingTerry
02-08-2010, 09:44 AM
Thanks for all the laughs guys. The rock is on 134 right before you get to Starks. It is just after a small bend in the road. With the slush and ice that is all it took. I have been driving that road for years but the conditions were just right and I was in a hurry to get to work. The car has been been replaced. My new cache mobile is an 05 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport RS. Pretty little car and handles great. I picket it up at Norms in Wiscasset.