View Full Version : The first geocache in space!

tat
02-03-2010, 06:54 PM
Wow! This certainly raises the bar (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GC1BE91) on hard to find caches. Maybe a cache on Avatar is not so far fetched!

JustPJ66
02-03-2010, 07:00 PM
well he got the difficulty right lol

WhereRWe?
02-03-2010, 07:16 PM
Sheesh! The listing is locked and not accepting new log entries! :(:(

TRF
02-03-2010, 07:21 PM
Just great! It's not bad enough what people have to say about LPs and GRC, now we are going to hear about caches on every piece of space debris. WILL THE INSANITY EVER STOP!!!!!

TRF
02-03-2010, 07:21 PM
Sheesh! The listing is locked and not accepting new log entries! :(:(

Darn, and they couldn't wait for your note before they locked it. :p

rcwhit
02-03-2010, 07:33 PM
That will make 2 in space. I know of another one who is sending one up as we speak!

cachecrashers4
02-03-2010, 08:05 PM
It's all about the journey!

brdad
02-03-2010, 08:21 PM
I'm just glad they didn't throw a micro out the space shuttle window every .1 mile on the way up! :)

No Mike, don't even think it!

Ekidokai
02-03-2010, 08:57 PM
Humm, I need some containers.

CARoperPhotography
02-03-2010, 11:03 PM
Who the heck reviewed this cache....?

I have found several Groundspeak guidelines it has broken. Plus, on GC.com, in the paragraph about Geocaching on the first page it says that caches are placed "throughout the world", not outside of the world. This one should be archived

cano
02-03-2010, 11:53 PM
Who the heck reviewed this cache....?

I have found several Groundspeak guidelines it has broken. Plus, on GC.com, in the paragraph about Geocaching on the first page it says that caches are placed "throughout the world", not outside of the world. This one should be archived
It's also quite a bit off coordinates and country is listed improperly. (They should add a new country (space)) Also it's moving cache, but still coordinates are not updated accordingly.

NativeMainer
02-04-2010, 12:50 AM
It was approved by Jeremy Irish, one of co-founders of GC.com after it was first denied and then went through the appeals process.

masterson of the universe
02-04-2010, 08:20 AM
I guess the next attribute icon that will be added will be a Rocket Ship Required icon...

JustPJ66
02-04-2010, 08:44 AM
I guess the next attribute icon that will be added will be a Rocket Ship Required icon...

scuba gear.....spaceship its all in the toys you own aint it! :D

pm28570
02-04-2010, 09:20 AM
When you think about it, it really is a "park and grab". Whatta' FTF that will be. I can just imagine the log........
"Well, I was heading out the door when it came up. Since I was working in the area, I decided to grab it." Signed, Mainiac1957. :D
I can just see the Killer Bee Jeep docked to ISS :D:D

Mainiac1957
02-04-2010, 09:53 AM
When you think about it, it really is a "park and grab". Whatta' FTF that will be. I can just imagine the log........
"Well, I was heading out the door when it came up. Since I was working in the area, I decided to grab it." Signed, Mainiac1957. :D

I guess I will have to install a flux capacitor on the Jeep to enable me to reach escape velocity.:rolleyes:

Sudonim
02-04-2010, 10:15 AM
I think the coords listed should be referred to as the parking coords, not the cache coords. If you spend way more than I have and buy a seat on the Russian transport, it leaves from Kazakhstan to go to the station. Cool listing though, you technically CAN do the cache, just requires lots of training and an unusual career, or a boatload of cash.

brdad
02-04-2010, 10:53 AM
Remember this TV show?

Once upon a time, a junkman had a dream. So he put together a team; an ex-astronaut and a fuel expert. They built a rocket ship and they went to the moon. Who knows what they'll do next.

http://www.projectrho.com/rocket/vulture.jpg

dubord207
02-04-2010, 06:09 PM
My money on the FTF is gob-ler, hands down, sorry Brad. He's probably already in route in some homemade spacesuit, snowshoes, you name it, he's bringing it. How many FTF's so far, Dick?:D

Hiram357
02-04-2010, 06:26 PM

I dunno... do they have enough tow straps to hook that thing to the back of shuttle???? :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

CARoperPhotography
02-04-2010, 07:13 PM
I thought that caches such as location less caches or reverse caches as they were known before they were all archived were moved to Waymarking.com.

I should put a cache on my Jeep that you can only access if you find me and my Jeep in person and I allow you access to the cache. Heck, I'll fight the reviewers on it till I finally quit Geocaching because of yet another inconsistency.

I don't quite get having a Geocache which only a select few can be allowed to find. They mind as well put one in the Oval Office under the desk of the President. Or how about one deep inside Florence ADX supermax Federal prison in a cell next to the Unabomber? This is pure stupidity, and yet another example of the issues that are pissing me off :-)

Gob-ler
02-04-2010, 09:05 PM
Puzzles are like that, only a select few find them!

Gob-ler
02-04-2010, 09:07 PM
A few Dan, a few! Lets just say, they know I am here!

I have actually started putting a few out down this way as well.

CARoperPhotography
02-04-2010, 09:15 PM
How many FTFs have you grabbed down there, pissing off the local cachers?

NativeMainer
02-04-2010, 10:22 PM
Chadd, I met someone from Nova Scotia who had had turned his truck into a travel bug. It's never dropped off at caches, but he's had lots of discoveries.

CARoperPhotography
02-04-2010, 10:35 PM
Yup, they sell the TB decals for your vehicle online that are discoverable. I thought of doing the same thing! But that's different than actually having a cache on your vehicle. A cache needs a set location with accurate GPS cords. Sorry but the ISS doesnt meet those criteria. I know it sounds really "cool", but it's a joke and shouldn't have been reviewed and published.

Gob-ler
02-04-2010, 10:48 PM
No one has said anything about the FTF's yet. Since arriving in July I have 115 down here, 845 total.

CARoperPhotography
02-04-2010, 10:54 PM
Wow.... and how many did you have in Maine? You should look at the profile for a cacher friend of mine here in Maine, Marcipanek. He has 217 (I don't know if that includes the ones he has gotten in the past few weeks) since he started caching in June or July of 2009.... he is a machine! The guy works 12 hour shifts overnight and when he gets home in the AM he runs for FTFs.... the two of us have gone for co-FTFs on some hard water caches. Heck, he had his anniversary dinner with his wife Monday night, and what does the guy do after they get done with dinner? He runs to Kennebunk from Saco for an FTF in the dark! Obviously, he wife is NOT a fan of Geocaching :-)

dubord207
02-05-2010, 07:17 AM
I've encountered gob-ler coming out of a goat path of a road at midnight in his van and all he said as we banged rear view mirrors was "You're too late!"

And the of course was a little incident he had with officer friendly in Madison at 2:30 AM in the middle of the winter, 20 below zero and Dick comes out on a snowmobile trail on snowshoes and the cop wants to know what's up. Dick answers, and correct me if I don't have this right " Just getting a little exercise, officer."

Get the idea, Chadd?:D

Gob-ler
02-05-2010, 08:41 AM
I believe my FTF count for Maine is 650. With over 6000 caches found the FTF to Regular find ratio is 13.5% which is not too bad.

I have had some other interesting encounters over the years. I once almost got run over by Laughing Terry. The hardest FTF ever and also my favorite was the Maine DeLorme Challenge.

firefighterjake
02-05-2010, 08:47 AM
I thought that caches such as location less caches or reverse caches as they were known before they were all archived were moved to Waymarking.com.

I should put a cache on my Jeep that you can only access if you find me and my Jeep in person and I allow you access to the cache. Heck, I'll fight the reviewers on it till I finally quit Geocaching because of yet another inconsistency.

I don't quite get having a Geocache which only a select few can be allowed to find. They mind as well put one in the Oval Office under the desk of the President. Or how about one deep inside Florence ADX supermax Federal prison in a cell next to the Unabomber? This is pure stupidity, and yet another example of the issues that are pissing me off :-)

I think Monica was the one who had the FTF on that one! :eek::D;)

firefighterjake
02-05-2010, 08:49 AM
I've encountered gob-ler coming out of a goat path of a road at midnight in his van and all he said as we banged rear view mirrors was "You're too late!"

And the of course was a little incident he had with officer friendly in Madison at 2:30 AM in the middle of the winter, 20 below zero and Dick comes out on a snowmobile trail on snowshoes and the cop wants to know what's up. Dick answers, and correct me if I don't have this right " Just getting a little exercise, officer."

Get the idea, Chadd?:D

Maybe I've got my terminology wrong, but isn't the rear view mirror typically considered the mirror inside the vehicle located on or above the windshield which gives the driver a view to the rear vs. the mirrors on the side of the vehicle which I tend to hear described as driver side mirror or passenger side mirror?

If this is the case . . . I am trying my hardest to picture exactly how the two of you were banging rear view mirrors . . . and about all I can come up with is one heckuva two car head-on collision. ;):D

dubord207
02-05-2010, 08:53 AM
Good catch Jason, how about driver's side side mirrors? It was quick though, there were still 2 other caches to get to!:)

firefighterjake
02-05-2010, 09:01 AM
Good catch Jason, how about driver's side side mirrors? It was quick though, there were still 2 other caches to get to!:)

Gotcha . . . kind of figured that's what you meant . . . I just had some bizarre picture of you guys getting in a head-on collision and bumping the rear view mirrors as you were thrown around the passenger compartment.

brdad
02-05-2010, 09:13 AM
It's a good thing Dan is in a business where the manner of how a statement is worded doesn't really matter. Oh wait! :p:eek::p