View Full Version : Most memorable single Maine cache placed in 2009

brdad
02-11-2010, 02:37 PM
The forms are a bit slow the past few days, yet a few people seemed to have fun commenting on the caches I listed in the do not reply thread, so I thought this up....

What is the one single Maine cache you have found of the 2110 caches that were placed in 2009 that was most memorable for you? Not necessarily the funnest or the toughest, but the one that you remember the most details about from the list of your finds.

Rules are:
You can only pick one Maine cache and it has to have been placed in 2009. All cache types apply, including events. Do not list second or third or fourth etc. place caches.
(For any members out of state, you are allowed to use a cache in your state)

brdad
02-11-2010, 02:44 PM
I have only found 24 of the 2110 Maine caches placed in 2009, So my pool of choices is small. Looking at the list almost all of them are what I'd consider to be worthy caches, but some of them just didn't make it into the old memory banks.

Anyway, my most memorable would have to be Joy to the World (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=1399e544-619c-413d-a6ca-c786d9ffa592) (GC1WRWB) by Three Dog Night (http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?id=138162) (3/5). We had a great time kayaking to this mystery cache and the weather was great. A worthy and memorable cache.

Ekidokai
02-11-2010, 06:31 PM
This is easy for me. 2009 Christmas Cache (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=de472732-0e67-4e3f-b59f-19b0bce1d8ff) GC21WTC. This has got to be the best cache ever. All of the planning, work, expense and attendance to to visitors is something that can not be matched. Team Richards and Gobbler should be commended most highly. These people are something else. The best cache in 2009 by far.

I didn't get any cookies or hot Coco, even after telling them I would be there a few hours before I arrived, but I will over look that.

2009 Christmas Cache (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=de472732-0e67-4e3f-b59f-19b0bce1d8ff) GC21WTC No question!

TeamHorwich
02-11-2010, 07:49 PM
Although there are many memorable ones for me out of the 300+ of these that I did, my most memorable has to be Medusa's Challange GC1YWVT . (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=6fe47aa7-d222-4453-83e5-2ef3e2c5e4bd)
Never having cached by boat before, this one was an adventure both times I went...sure wished I could have been FTF, but so worth coming back...(Not sure why I come up with 2114 caches, but what's a few caches between friends?! ; )

4ccnhikers
02-11-2010, 07:52 PM
I guess we really like those "out-of-the-way" caches - our most memorable was Island Hideaway by Will, GC1X996. It's so out of the way that we were FTF 12 days after it was published, and there have been only 2 finds (no DNFs). It was a hiking, kayaking, and planning adventure getting to this one!

vicbiker
02-11-2010, 08:13 PM
Mummabear's Moose Island cache GC1ZGRG is my choice for so many reasons. Launching kayaks in the snow, winter kayaking on Moosehead Lake, being with Jon while he found his first FTF, and best of all caching with great friends.

Mapachi
02-11-2010, 08:17 PM
It had to be one of those caches placed out on the back roads around Flagstaff Lake, while we attended the "Get Useless In Eustis II" event. They were all so great I can't pick one! ...........I wanna live up there! Jean, do you want to sell your place?

brdad
02-11-2010, 08:32 PM
(Not sure why I come up with 2114 caches, but what's a few caches between friends?! ; )

I could have easily missed a few in my PQs if they were short lived, or possibly someone changed the placed date of a cache. I like to think I am as accurate as I can be. Care to compare notes?

Actually, check your PMs - no sense in me sidetracking my own thread. :D

Fins_Up
02-11-2010, 10:13 PM
I think my most memorable this year was Al Mumata's Cotchpinicut (
GC21MFR) by Mapachi. I went out before sunlight the day after this was published. It was dark, cold and raining but I was determined to get my first FTF. I looked for about an hour out there and the only thing I found was an old Snoopy letterbox that I signed the log in but could never find online to log. I finally gave up and went to work. I logged a DNF along with a couple of other folks and Patrick reluctantly gave us all another hint, changed the difficulty and added an attribute. I showed up the next morning and ran into dblbogey11 and EMSDanel. We teamed up and started searching. We determined that it could not be where it said it was. dblbogey gave Patrick a call and he directed us to a ridge quite far from the gz. EMSDanel actually thought there was someone sleeping in that hut when we first came up on it. We searched for a while when dblbogey11 called out that he found it. It turned out to be about 250 feet away from where the coords pointed us. We had a good chuckle and I got to meet a couple of great cachers.

dubord207
02-11-2010, 10:23 PM
On Memorial Day Weekend, Di and I camped out with her son Ben, his wife Val, their 4 year old daughter, Cassie, and year and half old son Dalton.

We took them all caching a couple of times and did a lot of the easy caches on Route 27. Cassie seemed a bit bored with those so I opted to go after Wolf Cache Revisited-Wolfgang Wooly, GC1R2Q2, knowing a little bushwacking would be required.

This is just another fine placement by Kayaking Loon that amazed the group of new cachers, especially Cassie who thought wandering into moose habitat was "too cool!"

They've now started caching on their own. Introducing new cachers to the game with a quality hide like this sticks out in my mind as one of the best of '09.

Mapachi
02-11-2010, 11:04 PM
I think my most memorable this year was Al Mumata's Cotchpinicut (
GC21MFR) by Mapachi. I went out before sunlight the day after this was published. It was dark, cold and raining but I was determined to get my first FTF. I looked for about an hour out there and the only thing I found was an old Snoopy letterbox that I signed the log in but could never find online to log. I finally gave up and went to work. I logged a DNF along with a couple of other folks and Patrick reluctantly gave us all another hint, changed the difficulty and added an attribute. I showed up the next morning and ran into dblbogey11 and EMSDanel. We teamed up and started searching. We determined that it could not be where it said it was. dblbogey gave Patrick a call and he directed us to a ridge quite far from the gz. EMSDanel actually thought there was someone sleeping in that hut when we first came up on it. We searched for a while when dblbogey11 called out that he found it. It turned out to be about 250 feet away from where the coords pointed us. We had a good chuckle and I got to meet a couple of great cachers.

That's what happens when I don't wear my glasses while I'm transcrbing my coords from my GPSr to the cache listing! threes look like nines and sixes look like eights!
My Daddy told me 15 would get me 20.

cano
02-11-2010, 11:24 PM
My most memorable cache was this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJNhFPkchrE but it wasn't placed in 2009 I guess

Ekidokai
02-12-2010, 12:07 AM
On Memorial Day Weekend, Di and I camped out with her son Ben, his wife Val, their 4 year old daughter, Cassie, and year and half old son Dalton.

We took them all caching a couple of times and did a lot of the easy caches on Route 27. Cassie seemed a bit bored with those so I opted to go after Wolf Cache Revisited-Wolfgang Wooly, GCR2Q2, knowing a little bushwacking would be required.

This is just another fine placement by Kayaking Loon that amazed the group of new cachers, especially Cassie who thought wandering into moose habitat was "too cool!"

They've now started caching on their own. Introducing new cachers to the game with a quality hide like this sticks out in my mind as one of the best of '09.

Was this in Wyoming? Placed in 2005? You didn't log it? Nothing is matching up. Lawyers!

Could it be...Wolf Cache Revisited- Wolfgang "Wooly" (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=23aff8e9-51d7-4b90-b89b-38ba3a7c9ff2) GC1R2Q2

Ekidokai
02-12-2010, 12:13 AM
My most memorable cache was this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJNhFPkchrE but it wasn't placed in 2009 I guess

Not a Maine cache and not placed in 2009.

You must have done some interesting ones in Maine last year. I know you had a bunch of FTF's one day up in the woods.

Look, just open up GSAK, click on the "date placed" button and look over all the ones in yellow, those are the ones you did, when you get to the 2009 ones.

brdad
02-12-2010, 06:52 AM
Take it easy on them Mike, it was an extensive list of rules. :D

I'd also like to point out that if your post starts with "it must be one of those ones we did that day", none of those individual caches must have gotten into memory! :p

dubord207
02-12-2010, 06:54 AM
Was this in Wyoming? Placed in 2005? You didn't log it? Nothing is matching up. Lawyers!

Could it be...Wolf Cache Revisited- Wolfgang "Wooly" (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=23aff8e9-51d7-4b90-b89b-38ba3a7c9ff2) GC1R2Q2

I probably shouldn't be allowed to post here...without having Barb or Celeste check everything like they do at the office. Good catch Mike!:)

Ekidokai
02-12-2010, 01:26 PM
Not really.

I was just checking the listings to see what everyone else thought was interesting.

pm28570
02-12-2010, 02:00 PM
Wish I could change the "rules" on this one. It was one of the 837 caches I did that day......:rolleyes:

All joking aside, and in complying with the parameters of the rules, I have to say it was the Eustis event, GC1V4WT Second Annual "Get Useless In Eustis" Event, that sticks in my mind as memorable. What a great time! An event spread over a day or two, plenty of available caches for all abilities and variety, outstanding hosts in Jean, Stan, Dave, Holly and kids. There's outstanding camping, kayaking, hiking, night caching and socializing. I got to meet a beer drinking dog, got to do a fair amount of caching despite having to hobble to get around, got buzzed by the finest military pilots in the world executing low level training (I know, it's controversial, but I sure get goose bumps and a high sense of pride), met and made new caching friends from all over Maine, met a LOT of cachers on the trail at the caches and just plain 'ol had a wicked good time. If there is something better, then tell me. It must be either illegal or costs a small fortune.

pjpreb
02-12-2010, 02:16 PM
I have only found 24 of the 2110 Maine caches placed in 2009, So my pool of choices is small. Looking at the list almost all of them are what I'd consider to be worthy caches, but some of them just didn't make it into the old memory banks.

Anyway, my most memorable would have to be Joy to the World (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=1399e544-619c-413d-a6ca-c786d9ffa592) (GC1WRWB) by Three Dog Night (http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?id=138162) (3/5). We had a great time kayaking to this mystery cache and the weather was great. A worthy and memorable cache.

As one of the four dogs in "Three Dog Night" I'm flattered you enjoyed our cache so much :)

The Eustis event was my favorite from 2009. Camping, caching, friends, food and kayaking. - tought to beat!

masterson of the universe
02-12-2010, 03:09 PM
While I've only done 282 of the caches placed during 2009 and most of those being on the SMR, I would have to say that the one I picked is not one that most would pick because it's urban. While I love a good hike to a cache and even more so enjoy a cache that has an actual reason to bring you there such as some good history or a nice elevated view, in sticking with the rules of the thread, I choose GCY1DAD (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=cb87c880-ee4d-4efe-9556-aa8b6107d35f). I chose this because its not your standard cache and was a head scratcher for a few minutes. I really liked the way this person thought outside the (ammo) box and came up with this idea. It's not a micro, it doesn't allow for trackables, yet its pretty unique. Thanks for this cache.

fins2right
02-14-2010, 01:03 PM
How big is that island? (GC1X6YR) Mainehockeyfan put this cache out in August about a week or so after I came back from a great Eustis vacation. I was feeling confident in my kayaking abilites after tracking down a few of Kayaking Loons island caches on Flagstaff and decided to paddle after this one for a FTF. I put in at the Town of Oakland's Pleasant Point Park landing and looked at my GPS. It was then that I understood that the trip would be 2 miles. One way. It was a brilliant August evening though. Temp in the 70's, the water was warm, the Ospreys were flying and there was only a few boaters out, all of whom stayed far enough away from me to be safe. (plus I've always liked kayaking the waves they leave behind). Plus, I got the FTF! I returned tired, blistered and happy. There are harder ways to spend a summer evening. The downside, a few days later a friend of mine said "why didn't you put in from our camp, we're only a few hundred yards away". Sigh. :)

CARoperPhotography
02-15-2010, 10:01 PM
I have to agree with TeamHorwich that Medusa's Challenge was the most memorable cache placed in 2009, and I am not only saying that because I was co-FTF on it with Marcipanek after it sat unfound for several weeks after the Rallye and after many DNFs :-)

ampmdp
03-08-2010, 11:43 PM
Without a doubt our favorite cache of 2009 was...CACHEZILLA!!! Mapachi somehow lugged a trunk-sized camo'ed cache a mile and a half down a snowmobile trail. It was FILLED with "tradeables"...we took four VHS tapes and left four VHS tapes, also took a first aid kit, and we didn't even scratch the surface!!! I don't know if we'll ever see a cache bigger than CACHEZILLA!!! We've been talking about it ever since, and our profile pic was taken at the cache site. Thanks again, Mapachi!!

Ekidokai
03-09-2010, 01:10 AM
Impressive but not even close.

This is the best, biggest. 2009 Christmas Cache (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=de472732-0e67-4e3f-b59f-19b0bce1d8ff) GC21WTC

ampmdp
03-12-2010, 11:22 PM
I stand corrected!!! We took you up on your suggestion and went to the 2009 Christmas Cache today, and all I can say is...WOW!!! What an amazing experience! Posted a pic with my log entry. We'll definitely be back every year they do this. Thanks for the info, Ekidokai!

Ekidokai
03-13-2010, 12:51 AM
Kacky and I did a podcache on the trek to find this one just before Christmas when there was a lot of snow, very, very cold and dark. I'm watching that cache and enjoyed your log.

Now see what happens when you post something on here? You get sent on a grand adventure.

ampmdp
03-13-2010, 09:34 PM
Bring on the adventure! We loved it! We just found out that they archived the 2009 Christmas Cache *today*! If we hadn't gone yesterday we would've missed it...thanks again, Ekidokai!!

kayaking loon
03-14-2010, 05:32 PM
It had to be one of those caches placed out on the back roads around Flagstaff Lake, while we attended the "Get Useless In Eustis II" event. They were all so great I can't pick one! ...........I wanna live up there! Jean, do you want to sell your place?

No, I love my place! And when we didn't live here, we used to go out back of Flagstaff a lot. Then after we lived here, we didn't.. until you placed Pickle Hill. And there's so much territory out there to cache in, all of it lovely.

But there is a nice place for rent right near our house. Why don't you rent it for a month and put out lots of caches.. for me to find! :D

Haffy
03-14-2010, 05:43 PM
Whats the rent and for how long?...lol

Mapachi
03-15-2010, 11:23 AM
Why not start a thread on the best "journey" to a cache? Some of the best caches have a simple journey to it. Some of the best journeys end up with a so-so cache. I think the journey to a cache can be what makes a cache special, sometimes.

brdad
03-15-2010, 11:37 AM
Why not start a thread on the best "journey" to a cache? Some of the best caches have a simple journey to it. Some of the best journeys end up with a so-so cache. I think the journey to a cache can be what makes a cache special, sometimes.

That is very true. Sometimes if not for the interesting journey, nothing would have been remembered about the cache.

With 259 posts and having only started 3 threads, I think you should start that thread!