View Full Version : Man arrested for stealing caches

brdad
02-18-2010, 08:10 AM
From the Rome Sentinel (http://romesentinel.com/news?newsid=20100217-141107) (New York) This area has had a string of problems with their caches lately:

by sean i. mills Staff writer

An electronics engineer at the Air Force Research Laboratory was arrested Tuesday afternoon for stealing a trinket from a GPS-based game of hide and seek.

Paul L. Repak, 58, of Lewis Road, Boonville, stole a small magnetic case from its hiding place on the Griffiss Park at about 4:15 p.m., according to Detective Commander Timothy J. Bates. The case was hidden as part of a game called "geocaching", where people hide small trinkets in their neighborhood and then other players use the Global Positioning System to follow the coordinates and find the trinkets.

The point of the game is then to either put the trinket back or replace it with something new for other players to find.

"When the geo-thief takes a cache container and does whatever it is he does with it, all the swag, log book, geo-coins and travel bugs are lost forever," said local geocacher Carole Darling, of Kent Street. "The game is ruined for other players."

Darling said she hid the magnetic case two days ago on public property near the new sculptures on Griffiss, and was driving by the site Tuesday when she saw that someone had found it. Darling parked nearby to speak with the person, but when she approached him, he took off running into a nearby wooded area, police said.

"If you’re a geocacher, you don’t run," Darling said. Suspicious of the man, Darling said she called police because geocachers in the area have had a problem for years with people stealing the trinkets.

"Someone had been going around taking the items, the trinkets," Det. Bates stated.

When police responded to the scene, Bates said Repak’s car was still there. The officers staked out the vehicle until Repak emerged from the woods, and he was arrested after he was found with the magnetic case.

Bates said Repak is charged with petty larceny and fifth-degree possession of stolen property. He was released after posting $100 cash bail, and is scheduled to appear in City Court.

Repak is an electrical engineer in the Cyber Operations Branch of the Air Force Research Laboratory Information Directorate, authorities said. Calls to the Air Force Public Affairs Office were not returned this morning.

brdad
02-18-2010, 08:13 AM
This is ridiculous! Why can't they just let people play the way they want to play! :p

Truthfully, this is ridiculous! 58 years old? Get a frickin' life! You might expect this from some teenager who doesn't have enough imagination or direction to find something constructive to do. But 58? Sheesh!

Moonsouth
02-18-2010, 08:45 AM
I wonder how many other caches he has raided.....I bet a search warrant would reveal a house full of ammo boxes, tupperware, coins, tbs etc...This guy seems really interested in finding these caches, maybe he should start playing, and stop stealing...I think its awesome he got arrested for it though, sends out a strong message to the muggles.

firefighterjake
02-18-2010, 08:49 AM
I feel for the poor guy . . . I mean all he is trying to do is complete his Finding Nemo McToy collection. ;) :)

pm28570
02-18-2010, 09:04 AM
Guess he was able to crack the code......:rolleyes:

Repak is an electrical engineer in the Cyber Operations Branch of the Air Force Research Laboratory Information Directorate, authorities said.

Team V3
02-18-2010, 10:04 AM
Wow. I am impressed the cops actually did something to protect the geocaching. I never would have thought it.

Moonsouth
02-18-2010, 10:27 AM
Wow. I am impressed the cops actually did something to protect the geocaching. I never would have thought it.

Ya a lot of people that I talk to about geocaching think that its a silly kids game...I try to explain, but to no avail. My wife included. Anyways, I would have thought that the police with SOO many other things to worry about, would not think twice about catching a scavenger hunting game thief. It is theft though, plain and simple and I am glad that they are enforcing it.

Moonsouth
02-18-2010, 10:29 AM
and I realize that there is a bit more to it than a "scavenger hunt"....dont get all crazy on me : )

fins2right
02-18-2010, 11:19 AM
I was stationed in Rome, NY from 1991 to 1992 when Griffiss AFB was the biggest employer in town. The base closed in 1994. The effect on the area was devestating. I traveled back through Rome when I attended a wedding in Ithaca a few years ago. On a lark my wife and I drove onto the old base. At that time you could drive into the weapons storage area, where 10 years before hundreds of (alleged :rolleyes:) nuclear weapons were housed and we also drove onto the old "Alert" area where the nuclear uploaded B-52's where fueled up and ready to go. All these areas used to have sensors that could detect people even walking next to the fenceline. While I was stationed at Griffiss the Air Force spent close to 100 million dollars upgrading the sensors and the runway. That project was completed in 1993 giving Griffiss the most up to date protection system in the Air Force, just in time to close.

Rome was roughly about the size of Bangor when the air base was in it's prime and is now about the size of Waterville. I was stationed in North Dakota and Turkey before and really liked the Rome area. Upstate N.Y. is really nice, and the people were great.

As a cop, I think it's awesome that they waited by the car for what is essentially a $10 theft. I'm hoping that the N.Y. court system will actually do something, because I'm here to assure you that Maine's would drop that case in a well, New York minute.

Haffy
02-18-2010, 11:27 AM
As a cop, I think it's awesome that they waited by the car for what is essentially a $10 theft. I'm hoping that the N.Y. court system will actually do something, because I'm here to assure you that Maine's would drop that case in a well, New York minute.

Not if ole Danny Boy was the prosecuting attorney......He would put em behind bars.:D

lexmano
02-18-2010, 11:29 AM
I do not believe criminal charges can stick. You need to show that he took someone's property with the intent to deprive them of it.

In this case a strong case could be made that he believed the property to be abandoned. It was left unattended on public property. He could argue he was simply cleaning up the area of litter.

I anticipate the district attorney will drop this matter.

JustPJ66
02-18-2010, 12:13 PM
if he pleads that they should give him 400 hrs community service picking up trash on the highway! LOL

cano
02-18-2010, 12:48 PM
You better not trade down or you might be arrested :)

pm28570
02-18-2010, 01:54 PM

I can hear the local DA now to the officer "......are you nuts?"
Looking at it from another view, if I'm the responding officer and this guy has bolted, that's gonna peak my interest enough to hang around the car for a little bit. Wonder if the guy had anything outstanding?

Gob-ler
02-18-2010, 05:58 PM
This is the area that I did a lot of caching in before I moved to Maine and the problem of missing caches goes back at least five years. Dozens and dozens went missing. Hopefully this will solve that problem.

Down here in MD were I am this week they are having a similar problem as well.

Thanks for the post and the information. Interesting to say the least.

fins2right
02-18-2010, 06:13 PM
I do not believe criminal charges can stick. You need to show that he took someone's property with the intent to deprive them of it.

In this case a strong case could be made that he believed the property to be abandoned. It was left unattended on public property. He could argue he was simply cleaning up the area of litter.

I anticipate the district attorney will drop this matter.

I would argue that his behavior, running into the woods when hailed, hiding for a period of time, shows intent to deprive. It's hard to say what N.Y. law reads. You are right in that the D.A. would drop it here. The way the theft laws read, it would be hard to prove. Now if the complaintant reported the cache as stolen, and the police found it on the bad guy, we could charge him with Possession of Stolen Property. However, that would get dropped faster. It would be a lot of fun though! :)

dubord207
02-18-2010, 09:47 PM
The intent issue on a theft charge would be the kicker. A DA that went with Criminal Mischief could make that stick. Same crime category as theft, no intent required, just destruction or damage to another's property.

That puke needs to be brought before a judge!:(

Opalsns
02-19-2010, 03:45 AM
Imagime what he's "muggling" from his job !!!!!!!!!

Food for trhought!!

cano
02-19-2010, 10:43 AM
Imagime what he's "muggling" from his job !!!!!!!!!

Food for trhought!!

He is also eating babies!

It's really interesting how everybody here exactly knows what this guy did base on what? One article written by someone who probably has absolutely no clue about geocaching? Wake up and get life! it's not 15 century, we don't do burning witches any more.

brdad
02-19-2010, 01:00 PM
I think Opalsns was just stating that if he is a thief in one aspect in his life, he most likely is in other areas as well. Most of us don't live double lives.

As far as burning of witches, I think it'd be great to return to some of the old fashioned punishments for these types of crimes. I'd vote in a heartbeat to bring public stocks back!

Moonsouth
02-19-2010, 01:05 PM
I believe he is being profiled based on his thieving attributes...but youre right about the media....perhaps he was really a geocacher wanting to sign the log in private and thinking the owner was a muggle he made a mad dash to the woods so he wouldnt have to explain geocaching to a perhaps anti-cacher and thus endanger the well being of the cache. Whilst in the woods he signed the log and upon returning to replace the cache he was ambushed by some power hungry cops who obviously had not much better to do, a near by witness sees this all go down and goes home to tell their spouse who knows a person that knows a person who knows news paper writer, and then it goes down "Hitech Super Airforce Agent Steals Tupperwear At Gunpoint"......

fins2right
02-19-2010, 09:08 PM

It's really interesting how everybody here exactly knows what this guy did base on what? One article written by someone who probably has absolutely no clue about geocaching? Wake up and get life! it's not 15 century, we don't do burning witches any more.

We Don't??? :eek: (Turns and yells) Ray, go let out Sabrina. We can't burn her anymore. :D:D:D

cano
02-19-2010, 09:30 PM
We Don't??? :eek: (Turns and yells) Ray, go let out Sabrina. We can't burn her anymore. :D:D:D

For those who didn't get it, he is innocent unless proven guilty last time I checked.

masterson of the universe
02-19-2010, 09:48 PM
Wait...What if he weighs the same as a duck? Wouldn't that mean he's a witch and we can burn him?

Opalsns
02-19-2010, 10:49 PM

You Burned Witches???? Ye Ha !!!!!!!!

FYI,
No Witches Were Burned at the stake, They were Hung and Drowned!

Opalsns
02-19-2010, 10:51 PM
I think Opalsns was just stating that if he is a thief in one aspect in his life, he most likely is in other areas as well. Most of us don't live double lives.

As far as burning of witches, I think it'd be great to return to some of the old fashioned punishments for these types of crimes. I'd vote in a heartbeat to bring public stocks back!

Yup
and
Yup!

cano
02-19-2010, 11:55 PM
FYI,
No Witches Were Burned at the stake,

Are we living in the same universe?

FYI,
They were Hung and Drowned!
So they were hung under water?

WhereRWe?
02-20-2010, 07:02 AM
Wait...What if he weighs the same as a duck? Wouldn't that mean he's a witch and we can burn him?

Only if he floats. :D:D

Opalsns
02-20-2010, 09:14 AM
Are we living in the same universe?

So they were hung under water?

Yes, Yes They were.
And as WRW said,
If they float Burn them

fins2right
02-20-2010, 01:51 PM

He turned me into a Newt! I got better... :rolleyes:

dubord207
02-20-2010, 06:02 PM
What if the witch is wearing a thong? Do you still drown her? What if she has one of the new high tech thongs with an asbestos liner? Burn or drown, burn or drown.....sheeesh, I'm really having trouble deciding..:D

Opalsns
02-20-2010, 08:39 PM
Treminds me of a Scream fight between Paris Hilton and Lindsey Lohan !!!!!!!!!! LOL!

pjpreb
02-22-2010, 02:24 PM
You Burned Witches???? Ye Ha !!!!!!!!

FYI,
No Witches Were Burned at the stake, They were Hung and Drowned!

In Salem, MA 19 "witches" were hung and one was pressed to death. None were drowned. Burning at the stake was a English thing. (Learned that last weekend)

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y33/pjpreb/th_IMG_0001_4-3.jpg

benandtina
02-22-2010, 04:43 PM
In Salem, MA 19 "witches" were hung and one was pressed to death. None were drowned. Burning at the stake was a English thing. (Learned that last weekend)

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y33/pjpreb/th_IMG_0001_4-3.jpg

PRESSED?!

Part of me wants to Google to see exactly what this means... but another part of me is imagining what it may mean and thinking I should probably not.

JustKev
02-22-2010, 05:08 PM
Just pressed? No starch?

JustPJ66
02-22-2010, 05:11 PM
the person a man i believe was crushed to death one stone at a time ...because he wouldnt name names of the witches

dubord207
02-22-2010, 06:54 PM
No, that is a golfing term. If you get to the 18th hole and you're down 10 bucks, you can "press" the 10 bucks which means if you win the hole, you are back to zero. If you don't win the hole, you're down 20 bucks.

You golfers out there understand that, right? And you witches out there, well just mind your manners and you'll be fine!:)

Opalsns
02-22-2010, 06:56 PM
No WaterBoarding????????
Man, No Fun,
Did you read where in Other Countries Burned at the stake , Meant they were tied to a stake and Molten Led was poured in them or on them,

Ha, Which, I mean Witch website O' Puffery shall we research next.
HHHMMMmmmm..
i'm goin' in!!!!

Opalsns

pjpreb
02-22-2010, 09:27 PM
pressed - he had a board on his chest and he could confess to being a witch or ask for another stone. He would not confess so he was crushed to death.