View Full Version : Our first day caching

team barbieri
02-20-2010, 12:21 PM
We picked up our new gps last night (PN-40) and could not wait to start hunting so we went out and found our first one at higgins beach. This is going to be very addictive. I want to thank all of you for the helpful and sometimes confusing info on geo maine. I stumbled across this web sight a couple of weeks ago looking for places to snowmobile, If we only had snow. So after alot of research to confuse myself even more i said the heck with, got a gps, and started searching. Hope to see some of you out there tracking down caches.
John & Teresa.

Haffy
02-20-2010, 12:47 PM
Welcome to the addiction, now the fun just now starts!!!!

brdad
02-20-2010, 04:28 PM
Welcome to the addiction and the site! Feel free to ask questions or tell us stories of your travels.

rcwhit
02-20-2010, 06:01 PM
Hope you have as much fun as we do! Maybe we'll see you at the next event! :D

pm28570
02-20-2010, 08:18 PM
We picked up our new gps last night (PN-40) and could not wait to start hunting so we went out and found our first one at higgins beach. This is going to be very addictive. I want to thank all of you for the helpful and sometimes confusing info on geo maine. I stumbled across this web sight a couple of weeks ago looking for places to snowmobile, If we only had snow. So after alot of research to confuse myself even more i said the heck with, got a gps, and started searching. Hope to see some of you out there tracking down caches.
John & Teresa.

You know, there may or may not be snow for sledding, but there will always be caches that need finding!

team barbieri
02-21-2010, 05:44 PM
Thanks everyone. My wife fell ill after first cache yesterday but we made up for it today with 10 finds and 1 dnf. Now i just have to post them

firefighterjake
02-22-2010, 09:23 AM
John & Teresa.

The great thing about caching is that in a winter like this one . . . the sledding may be pretty much non-existent (unless you want to trailer the sleds), but it just means you can get out and do some caching . . . so either way it's a win-win situation.

P.S. In the winter time I usually spend most of my time sledding vs. caching . . . but one event I have been sort of, kind of attending in the past is a winter camping event up near Abbot . . . simply because I could get on my sled at my house and ride to it . . . which was pretty neat.

number seven
02-22-2010, 10:35 AM
:)Hi !My name is Don--[God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference. Welcome to the fold :):D

JustKev
02-22-2010, 10:54 AM
We took our granddaughter out yesterday for her first time caching. She had a blast finding the three we took her to.

team barbieri
03-01-2010, 09:38 AM
We have noticed there is alot of caches that are not properly marked or not marked at all. When logging our find should we note that? On another note we are having a great time hunting and we are up to 30 finds (only hunt on weekends, and the weather has not helped) I picked up my first travel bug and we are looking foward to help it on its journey

WhereRWe?
03-01-2010, 10:49 AM
We have noticed there is alot of caches that are not properly marked or not marked at all. When logging our find should we note that?

Sheesh! "Properly marked"? LOL! I'd bet you'll find that 90% of them are not "properly marked". :D:D

dubord207
03-01-2010, 06:27 PM
Sheesh! "Properly marked"? LOL! I'd bet you'll find that 90% of them are not "properly marked". :D:D

Bruce is right about that. It's an issue and it's nice you noticed the common lack of a proper sticker.

So when you start placing caches, the stick on labels are available on many sites. Writing on these labels is tricky but I have mine all filled out with my phone # if somebody wants to find out what that tupperware is doing in the woods!

I don't think there's any need to mention it while logging your finds. You'll find a huge variety in the quality of cache containers. The real good ones, ammo cans and Pelican cases can get a bit on the expensive side but you'll get favorable comments when you place those.

Keep up the enthusiasm and once you've found a hundred or so you'll have a good feel for what works and what doesn't.:)

team barbieri
03-03-2010, 08:34 PM
We found our first travel bug this weekend and it has a goal of visiting fire departments. I really enjoyed giving this travel bug another chapter in its journy. This weekend coming up I will find a new cache to place it in for its next great adventure
if anyone is interested heres the link to the T.B.
http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?guid=4fd054e3-6dab-48a5-a9fc-ad634ef6a2ff (http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?guid=4fd054e3-6dab-48a5-a9fc-ad634ef6a2ff)

firefighterjake
03-04-2010, 08:34 AM
We found our first travel bug this weekend and it has a goal of visiting fire departments. I really enjoyed giving this travel bug another chapter in its journy. This weekend coming up I will find a new cache to place it in for its next great adventure
if anyone is interested heres the link to the T.B.
http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?guid=4fd054e3-6dab-48a5-a9fc-ad634ef6a2ff (http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?guid=4fd054e3-6dab-48a5-a9fc-ad634ef6a2ff)

I've got a few of my own fire-related TBs floating out there . . .

I had two wooden fire engines that I painted . . . one labeled Bangor Engine 1 and one labeled Unity Engine 1 (the two departments I belong to) . . . I then sent them on a race to Alaska to one of several caches where my sister presently lives.

Another cool TB (in my mind) is my Bangor Ladder TB which includes a history of the Bangor Ladder (an actual special ladder invented here in Bangor Maine) . . . it's goal is to visit places where there have been major fires (i.e. Chicago Fire, Peshtigo, The Station Nightclub, etc.)

ccfcocti
03-06-2010, 06:55 PM
I just started this sport, its addictive, every find makes me want to do even more. I have a wife and 4 kids ages 16mo to 8yrs old they went with me to their first cache today and they loved it . I am a correction officer and was looking for a stress relief and this is it!!!!

brdad
03-06-2010, 07:14 PM
I just started this sport, its addictive, every find makes me want to do even more. I have a wife and 4 kids ages 16mo to 8yrs old they went with me to their first cache today and they loved it . I am a correction officer and was looking for a stress relief and this is it!!!!

Welcome to the addiction!
Great to have someone of your expertise here, some of these folk could use some correcting! :D:D:D

shuman road searchers
03-06-2010, 07:16 PM
Welcome to the addiction!
Great to have someone of your expertise here, some of these folk could use some correcting! :D:D:D

:D That is the pot calling the kettle black!:D:D

Ekidokai
03-06-2010, 07:26 PM
Ditto!!!!!

JustKev
03-06-2010, 11:56 PM
I'm thinkin brdad was first in line to post for a reason.....

Moonsouth
03-07-2010, 08:42 AM

Welcome! Im glad you found your way here. Believe me your addiction will get worse. :)

team barbieri
03-07-2010, 08:53 AM
Welcome to the fun. We are on our third weekend of caching. Cant really go on weekdays and i am finding it very hard to wait for the weekend. Its great exercise in wich I need very much and our dog loves it too. enjoy your adventures and hope to see you out there