View Full Version : Geocaching statistics and your privacy

cano
02-21-2010, 01:37 PM
Many geocachers including me enjoy posting their geocaching statistics to their profiles. Many don't realize it is possible to estimate their home location based on the statistics. Here is an estimate of my home location based on nearest cache found from my geocaching profile (http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid=3e2010f6-19c3-4a52-b7ee-0e242e83ae1a) http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2807353/HomeEstSat.jpg

dubord207
02-21-2010, 02:49 PM
Isn't that the Penobscot County Jail?;)

cano
02-21-2010, 06:04 PM
Here is one for Dubord :)
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2807353/Dubord.jpg

EMSDanel
02-21-2010, 06:09 PM
Hey Dan.....it's not the Penobscot Jail. But it seems to be a fitting abode for Mickal/Cano- it's the Ronald McDonald House in Bangor (picture Cano with red hair, a red nose, and really big shoes). Then again, this spot may be only his launching point.... it's on the property of the Dorothia Dix Psychiatric Center - formally known as the Bangor Mental Health Institute. :eek:

dubord207
02-21-2010, 07:46 PM
You're right, Cano..That's my humble abode just left of the "box" the computer generated. But not a problem as I have a cache located about 60 feet from the chair I'm sitting in so I guess I remain an open book.:)

hollora
02-21-2010, 09:09 PM
If someone wants to keep their home location private, I suspect one might use a sock puppet account with not so correct data. There are many other places beside your profile page where folks can find your stats. Participation in geocaching has many public aspects to the game. If one is trying to remain totally anonymous perhaps this isn't the game for them. JMHO

The bottom line - with computers and the internet - depending on one's connections, background and technical ability - there is little which is truly private today. For me - anything with Geocaching is the tip of the iceburg.

Moonsouth
02-21-2010, 09:58 PM
This is all based on the fact that you input your home location exactly where you live right? I have mine set roughly a mile from my house.

hollora
02-21-2010, 10:44 PM
This is all based on the fact that you input your home location exactly where you live right? I have mine set roughly a mile from my house.

Prescisely the point of my post........with a sock puppet name or not, whatever.........and it surely would preclude one ever having an event on their property OR a cache there (with that in the description).

Everyone plays the game their own way, have their own issues and has their own reasons for what they do. I am ok with where I am at - it's up to everyone else if they are ok with what they do.............

cano
02-21-2010, 10:45 PM
Me too, I don't live in Mental Health Institute, yet :). This was meant for those who have.

hollora
02-21-2010, 10:49 PM
Vaniety license plates in parking lots are a give away.............

NativeMainer
02-21-2010, 11:28 PM
So, how do you run this app?

hollora
02-21-2010, 11:52 PM
............too!

cano
02-22-2010, 12:00 AM
So, how do you run this app?
there is no app :) I drew it in Cabri Geometry.

robt
02-22-2010, 10:25 AM
If someone wants to keep their home location private, I suspect one might use a sock puppet account with not so correct data. There are many other places beside your profile page where folks can find your stats. Participation in geocaching has many public aspects to the game. If one is trying to remain totally anonymous perhaps this isn't the game for them. JMHO

The bottom line - with computers and the internet - depending on one's connections, background and technical ability - there is little which is truly private today. For me - anything with Geocaching is the tip of the iceburg.

From an isp and IT background we should all remember that nothing we do on the internet is ever private and can be tracked back to you if the group that wants that info is willing to do the work or hire somone to get that info. I myself try to live by the idea that I do not do anything on the computer I would not do in public.

Moonsouth
02-22-2010, 12:02 PM
do not do anything on the computer I would not do in public.

Haha, I bet there is. http://www.geocachingmaine.org/forum/images/icons/icon10.gif

robt
02-22-2010, 12:19 PM
Haha, I bet there is. http://www.geocachingmaine.org/forum/images/icons/icon10.gif

So you are the one that has been tapping into the built in Webcam on my laptop?

Acctually that is my neighbor you are looking at

Moonsouth
02-22-2010, 12:25 PM
So you are the one that has been tapping into the built in Webcam on my laptop?

Oooh, those cams make me so paranoid. Especially after this incident with the school spying on the kids through the provided laptops. I would cover it somehow, but thats just me haha.

JustKev
02-22-2010, 05:14 PM
The school "spying" on kids, if I heard correctly, were instances where the computer was either reported stolen or not turned in when it was supposed to be. I'm thinking it was like a "lojack" system used by the school system. To me, I think that is a legitimate application for a laptop that belongs to the school system.

Moonsouth
02-22-2010, 05:41 PM
The school "spying" on kids, if I heard correctly, were instances where the computer was either reported stolen or not turned in when it was supposed to be. I'm thinking it was like a "lojack" system used by the school system. To me, I think that is a legitimate application for a laptop that belongs to the school system.

Oh I see, I guess I misinterpreted. I believe in that instance, using the camera like that is fine.

hollora
02-22-2010, 11:31 PM
robt - you are so right!

It is just like - and hear it every day - will the State of Maine/Feds really know I am selling on line. Do I have to report that income, do I have to pay sales tax?

Up to the user.........but the information is hanging out there for anyone - including IRS and the State to capture.

Moonsouth
02-23-2010, 08:07 AM
Yeah, thats what happened with the guy and the plane....:rolleyes:

oneday
02-23-2010, 09:09 PM
Vaniety license plates in parking lots are a give away.............

:p Definitely the best way to find Cano!

hollora
02-24-2010, 01:16 AM
Yeah, thats what happened with the guy and the plane....:rolleyes:

That's interesting - I didn't know that - we wondered..