View Full Version : Tracking Did not Finds

Waterski
02-27-2010, 05:52 PM
Is there a way to check your dnf's or do you have to mark them somehow ( like watching them) to see if anyone finds them after you dnf. There probably is not a list on your find page is there? I would assume not since it is eluding me. I was wondering if there was any easy way to go back and look a them.

dubord207
02-27-2010, 06:01 PM
I just put them on my watch list to see if I was having a numb spell or whether they're gone. I used to occassionally log that the cache had to be missing if I couldn't find it, but gave that practice up when I learned that there are plenty of 'em that I just can't find when other cachers make what they call "easy finds.":)

Mainiac1957
02-27-2010, 06:48 PM
I mark my DNF's in GSAK then put them on my watch list to see if they are found or not. After awhile I take them off watch, but when I look again I'll know I DNF'd it before.

WhereRWe?
02-27-2010, 07:45 PM
Is there a way to check your dnf's or do you have to mark them somehow ( like watching them) to see if anyone finds them after you dnf. There probably is not a list on your find page is there? I would assume not since it is eluding me. I was wondering if there was any easy way to go back and look a them.

Yes, there is.

Go to GC.com, click on "Your Profile", click on "show all logs for geocaches".

This lists your finds and DNF's.

:D:D

brdad
02-27-2010, 09:08 PM
Just don't log your DNFs! Problem solved! :)
Or, as some of those who play their own way, just log it as a find anyway. :confused:

Yes, there is.
Go to GC.com, click on "Your Profile", click on "show all logs for geocaches".
This lists your finds and DNF's.
:D:D

Actually, Bruce, you can take that one level more by clicking on the link for DNF logs only. http://www.geocaching.com/my/logs.aspx?s=1&lt=3

pm28570
02-27-2010, 09:26 PM
Bookmark the cache, then review them later.

4ccnhikers
02-27-2010, 11:45 PM
Or, as some of those who play their own way, just log it as a find anyway. :confused:

Actually, Bruce, you can take that one level more by clicking on the link for DNF logs only. http://www.geocaching.com/my/logs.aspx?s=1&lt=3

Wow! That was fun to look at! I never used that filter before. Too bad the DNF listing doesn't get erased when you go back and find the cache later! Thanks for the info.:):)

cano
02-27-2010, 11:52 PM

Wow, that's a huge list :)

Waterski
02-28-2010, 12:02 AM
I was kind of hoping to check on some and see that the owner had checked and agreed they were not there, and that I was not as blind as I thought. Of course, most will probably list another cacher saying " EASY FIND". :) thanks for the input. I will check my past logs in the profile and see which ones they were. Maybe from now on I can put a watch on them and know whether to go back and look again. Thanks everyone for all the info. We did a couple on the way home from the WW event of Mapachis, bend in the seven, (and one other one about the seven that I listed dnf) , and I could not find either. You win some , you lose some. :)

Waterski
02-28-2010, 12:11 AM
I just checked my dnf list like advised and it works great. Thanks!!

dubord207
02-28-2010, 08:00 AM
And as an added note to newer cachers, don't be embarassed to log your DNF's. A series of DNF's on a cache will usually prompt a responsible cache owner to check his or her cache to make sure all is well. It can also be an indication that the supposed 1.5/1.5 hide is a lot harder then described in the listing. :)

brdad
02-28-2010, 08:26 AM
I like to log my DNFs to have a personal record as well as giving the cache owner some input. Sometimes if it's not a DNF and more of a "Got to the parking lot and decided it was too far to walk today" or something like that I will still log a note. Then 5 years later I can look back to that log and see what day it was and why I didn't do it. Generally, if I looked for it and didn't find it, it's a DNF; If I was about to do it but backed out, it gets a note.

For reference, I have 69 DNF logs and 93 Note Logs...

dubord207
02-28-2010, 09:14 AM
I checked and I have 203 DNF's and 79 notes.:confused: What the heck? My eyes must be bad!

WhereRWe?
02-28-2010, 09:25 AM
I was kind of hoping to check on some and see that the owner had checked and agreed they were not there, and that I was not as blind as I thought. Of course, most will probably list another cacher saying " EASY FIND". :)

Sheesh! That actualy happens to uss a lot! LOL!

Just part of the game... :D:D

Mainiac1957
02-28-2010, 02:05 PM
I only have 89 DNF's I don't think that is totally accurate as I'm sure I didn't log every one. I hate DNF's, but they are an important part of the game.

4ccnhikers
03-01-2010, 12:05 AM
When I looked at our list, we had 27 DNFs, and the most recent one turned out to have been missing when we looked for it - owners replaced it shortly afterwards. (Shuman Road Searchers 50 States New Hampshire). Two of our recent California DNFs were also confirmed as missing afterwards, but instead of replacing them, they were disabled. I hope they put them back before our next visit, we hate to leave a DNF unfound!

firefighterjake
03-01-2010, 08:47 AM
And as an added note to newer cachers, don't be embarassed to log your DNF's. A series of DNF's on a cache will usually prompt a responsible cache owner to check his or her cache to make sure all is well. It can also be an indication that the supposed 1.5/1.5 hide is a lot harder then described in the listing. :)

+1 . . . whenever I see a few DNFs I always make it a point to get out and check the cache . . . and thanks to a number of DNFs on one of my caches I upped the difficulty when I realized it was a lot trickier than I intended for it to be when I hid the cache. There's no shame in logging a DNF . . . and in fact it's a useful tool for the responsible cache hider.

shuman road searchers
03-01-2010, 05:02 PM
+1 . . . whenever I see a few DNFs I always make it a point to get out and check the cache . . . and thanks to a number of DNFs on one of my caches I upped the difficulty when I realized it was a lot trickier than I intended for it to be when I hid the cache.

Thanks Jake. The flame thrower was a must!!:D

Kaching Karen
03-01-2010, 05:38 PM
_____
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

Thanks FJ

WhereRWe?
03-01-2010, 07:47 PM
_____
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

Thanks FJ

Now that I've read it, sounds like something a military person would say.

Anyone know who the author is/was? :D:D

Makaruda
03-02-2010, 01:24 AM
I had to look up the quote. Closest I could find was "Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." This was written by Ambrose Redmoon which was the pen name for James Neil Hollingworth. He was a beatnik/hippie and the manager of the San Fransisco based psychedelic folk rock band Quicksilver Messenger Service.
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quicksilver_Messenger_Service)

WhereRWe?
03-02-2010, 07:19 AM
I had to look up the quote. Closest I could find was "Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." This was written by Ambrose Redmoon which was the pen name for James Neil Hollingworth. He was a beatnik/hippie and the manager of the San Fransisco based psychedelic folk rock band Quicksilver Messenger Service.

Hmmm.... "In vino, veritas" (Greek poet Alcaeus). Couldn't find anything about philosophy resulting from the use of pharmaceuticals. LOL!

firefighterjake
03-02-2010, 09:14 AM
_____

Thanks FJ

Uh yeah . . . it was me.

firefighterjake
03-02-2010, 09:16 AM

Guess this just proves that there is nothing left that is original any more -- it's all just regurgitated with a new spin.

Incidentally, I'm pretty sure I've never read or listened to anything by this author/beatnik/hippie psychedelic folk rock band . . . not really my kind of thing to listen to or read . . . so now I'm worried since it appears that I think the same way as an acid-tripping beatnik/hippie.;)

pm28570
03-02-2010, 09:27 AM
. . . so now I'm worried since it appears that I think the same way as an acid-tripping beatnik/hippie.;)

No need to worry......unless, of course, the acid-tripping beatnik/hippie starts going to events :eek:

fins2right
03-02-2010, 10:26 AM
I actually like logging my DNF's. When I feel like my life does not have enough pain in it, I'll print out the list and try them again. Plus when I travel I like to know which caches I've missed so I can take a second (or third, or fourth) shot at them. Hey, If I was good, I'd find them all. When I first started I missed several really cool caches that were disguised as fake rocks or some kind of Mapachi hide. After I got a little more experience, I went back and found them. That was a lot of fun. So if anyone is reading this who just started, log your DNF's! It gives you a second chance at a find, and if an owner see's a few in a row, they know to check up on it.

JustPJ66
03-02-2010, 03:46 PM
the hubby and I log ours not only to know which ones we need to try again but because I just know one of these days we are not gonna find one that has been muggled and if i didnt log it and check it occationallly I wouldnt know. If we see someone found one we suspected was MIA then we will try it again ....most often is is us being stupid and not a missing cache LOL

but to me that is part of the fun.

rcwhit
03-02-2010, 08:19 PM
most often is is us being stupid and not a missing cache.

I'm glad you two are finally admitting it! :D
I hope it doesn't run in the family! :eek: :eek:

JustPJ66
03-02-2010, 08:31 PM
I'm glad you two are finally admitting it! :D
I hope it doesn't run in the family! :eek: :eek:

I got it from YOU!!

firefighterjake
03-03-2010, 08:43 AM
No need to worry......unless, of course, the acid-tripping beatnik/hippie starts going to events :eek:

Hey . . . that could explain why I was at the WWWWWW event . . . I was tripping . . . this explains why I later thought I saw Hiram flying through the air . . . oh wait a minute . . . that was him falling and skidding in the mud.;)

JustKev
03-03-2010, 09:10 AM
Why are we worrying over logging our DNF's when the Chile quake shortened our days by a whopping 1.6 microseconds?

robt
03-03-2010, 10:34 AM
I have gotten alot better with loggin my DNF's but as for tracking them I really do not care. If I have a cache in my GPS or phone that I am near and have not found I try it if I feel like it. :D I do not care if I missed it before, I do not even look at the logs most of the time till after I get frustrated cause I can not find it. On my caches I follow that through my email.

That gives me an idea for tommorrow, Maybe it would be a good day for a cache mainenance run if I do not get side tracked. wonder if the water is warm enough for the kayak caches.

fins2right
03-12-2010, 10:52 AM
I have gotten alot better with loggin my DNF's but as for tracking them I really do not care. If I have a cache in my GPS or phone that I am near and have not found I try it if I feel like it. :D I do not care if I missed it before, I do not even look at the logs most of the time till after I get frustrated cause I can not find it. On my caches I follow that through my email.

That gives me an idea for tommorrow, Maybe it would be a good day for a cache mainenance run if I do not get side tracked. wonder if the water is warm enough for the kayak caches.

Looking at the state of the ice here on Messalonskee lake, We'll be Kayaking very soon. Maybe with a wetsuit on, but soon. :)