View Full Version : Problems with Geocaching.com

kayaking loon
03-07-2010, 11:14 AM
I'm having a lot of problems with the Geocaching.com website. At first I thought it might be bugs in my computer but it just got a clean bill of health after a trip to the "doctors". Then they said they were upgrading the site and I thought it might work better after that. NOT! Whenever I try to look through caches, it keeps coming up with the message "A problem with this website has caused Internet Explorer to close and reopen this page". Sometimes it takes many tries to open what I want to look at. Why??? I recently upgraded my Internet Explorer program and it got really bad after that. Before, I could get where I wanted to go by clicking refresh once. Now almost nothing works. And caching season is coming up! Help!

PS All other websites work fine... Just not this one that I REALLY want...:mad:

WhereRWe?
03-07-2010, 11:35 AM
Switch to Firefox (http://en-us.www.mozilla.com/en-US/)! :D:D

JustPJ66
03-07-2010, 12:01 PM
I use IE 8 and dont have that problem. at least not yet.

cano
03-07-2010, 12:02 PM
I'm having a lot of problems with the Geocaching.com website. At first I thought it might be bugs in my computer but it just got a clean bill of health after a trip to the "doctors". Then they said they were upgrading the site and I thought it might work better after that. NOT! Whenever I try to look through caches, it keeps coming up with the message "A problem with this website has caused Internet Explorer to close and reopen this page". Sometimes it takes many tries to open what I want to look at. Why??? I recently upgraded my Internet Explorer program and it got really bad after that. Before, I could get where I wanted to go by clicking refresh once. Now almost nothing works. And caching season is coming up! Help!

PS All other websites work fine... Just not this one that I REALLY want...:mad:

I didn't know there are still people who use IE. Use Google Chrome instead

Ekidokai
03-07-2010, 12:41 PM
I have always used what ever came with the computer. If that is IE than so be it. I get the upgrades when the machine tells me to upgrade. I have also noticed that from time to time the website seems to have problems. Just don't give up. give it a while and it will work out.

I have been using GSAK more now and it is turning out to be a better tool than I ever thought. All the info I want without going to the website.

kayaking loon
03-07-2010, 01:26 PM
I didn't know there are still people who use IE. Use Google Chrome instead

I just tried Google Chrome and it works great! Except..... if I go to download an individual cache to my PN-20, it says I can only download through Windows: XP or Vista; Internet Explorer 6.x-7.x; or Firefox 1.5-3.x. Sigh...

On to Firefox??

Haffy
03-07-2010, 01:35 PM
I have been a steadfast user of IE for many many years and never seem to have any of the problems that others seem to have. Maybe I just am lucky, I always use the latest AVG antivirus,ad aware, and zonealarm. Other than when the site itself is down for repairs or when the weekend approaches then they sometimes are slow getting their PQ's out because of the higher weekend traffic.

I agree with Ekidokai though that GSAK is your friend. If you have an udated database in GSAK then there is no need to use the GC website.

Ekidokai
03-07-2010, 05:40 PM
No good can ever come from agreeing with me.

hollora
03-07-2010, 07:41 PM
Have had the same problem with GC.com for ages. IE updated, security updated...........and just live with - after it displays the message - back back one step and everything is fine.

Not the ideal but it works. I could use FireFox but don't routinely so it would be just a pain.

First encountered this a a friend's about a month ago - it's a pain.

Anyway - ways around it - cache on, cache happy...............

pm28570
03-07-2010, 09:02 PM
Firefox has worked very well for me. I like their "Fast Dial" bookmarks.

JustKev
03-07-2010, 11:17 PM
I've primarily used IE for years. Tried Google Chrome and deleted it way back. Maybe I should look at it again to see if they improved it. Have Firefox because that's what we use at work and it sometimes seems to access things better from home when I'm on the work site pages looking for specific things.