View Full Version : News Flash - Stud Mill and Star Wars is for wimps!

Gob-ler
03-09-2010, 08:21 PM
Check this out!

http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=243698

brdad
03-09-2010, 08:59 PM
I overheard this earlier and forced myself to believe it was just a nightmare.
Thanks a lot (NOT!) for setting me straight! :D

JustKev
03-09-2010, 09:14 PM
I panned out far enough so I could look around the Marine Corps base I was stationed at in the desert out there. Twenty-Nine Palms. Good grief, it'll be a while before Maine gets cache density like they've got out there. Explored some of the caches located in the Joshua Tree National Park. Pictures posted there bring back memories from over thirty years ago. Awesome. One of these days, maybe JustPJ66 and I will get out there and post pictures of our own.

cano
03-09-2010, 10:40 PM
Check this out!

http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=243698

WoW this is pure awesomeness :)

masterson of the universe
03-09-2010, 11:15 PM
I can't imagine someone actually doing this. What a way to really screw up peoples PQ's and put a dent in the game. I have to say if this kind of stuff continues to show up everywhere, I'd probably just plain give up the game. I guess when I started caching, I really enjoyed the thrill of not really knowing where I was going to end up and the finding of new places, trail systems I didn't know existed, and having another reason to be outdoors. When I see stuff like that, i think where is the thrill of seeing something at the location? If I was to do a trail like that, I think I'd physically find one cache on each end of the trail, then log them all with "Seen one, seen em all". Chances are you can probably see the next 5-10 caches from each location.

cano
03-09-2010, 11:52 PM
I can't imagine someone actually doing this. What a way to really screw up peoples PQ's and put a dent in the game. I have to say if this kind of stuff continues to show up everywhere, I'd probably just plain give up the game. I guess when I started caching, I really enjoyed the thrill of not really knowing where I was going to end up and the finding of new places, trail systems I didn't know existed, and having another reason to be outdoors. When I see stuff like that, i think where is the thrill of seeing something at the location? If I was to do a trail like that, I think I'd physically find one cache on each end of the trail, then log them all with "Seen one, seen em all". Chances are you can probably see the next 5-10 caches from each location.
You don't have to do power trails if you don't like it. There should be an additional attribute to the cache called coolness, how cool is the place, GRC a LPC would be rated usually as 1, and caches like this http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=c67622e7-449e-419d-952f-347a1f080a38 would be rated as 5. Then you can filter out and do only cool caches :)

Ekidokai
03-10-2010, 02:35 AM
I wonder if those were all placed in one day and it looks like they were reviewed and published in one day. The phones and emails must have been smoking.

As I posted in that thread, that I will probably never look at again, I'm sorry.

rcwhit
03-10-2010, 05:52 AM
Look at the bright side, it would make it easy to do your cache maintenance! :rolleyes:

JustKev
03-10-2010, 07:47 AM
Look at the bright side, it would make it easy to do your cache maintenance! :rolleyes:

Unless someone just said, "One of the caches needs maintenance....you find which one."

NativeMainer
03-10-2010, 08:39 AM
Oooo! And it's near Vegas, too! ROAD TRIP!!!

firefighterjake
03-10-2010, 08:50 AM
I assume the power trail in discussion is the one near Las Vegas . . .

I have to admit . . . I think I am one of the few folks who have been to Las Vegas and didn't like the City . . . what I did like however was the day and half day when I was able to have some free time and took a rental car out to see some of the desert . . . I enjoyed the caches . . . if memory serves me right I went to two local state parks that had a decent amount of caches . . . some park and grabs, most a few short hikes . . . I really enjoyed the time I spent in the desert.

WhereRWe?
03-10-2010, 10:18 AM
Sheesh! Geocaching used to be defined as "a treasure hunting game where you use a GPS to hide and seek containers with other participants in the activity." Geocaching can now be defined as: "Stopping at as many pre-designated locations as you can".

Yes, I know - some like this "style" of geocaching which is perfectly OK. But geocaching sure has changed since we started. Sigh...

brdad
03-10-2010, 10:27 AM
I agree. I'd have as much fun driving down a road and stopping every time my odometer hit each .1 mile mark and taking a photograph of the dashboard. This certainly is not in the original intent of the game, and if you look through all the pages on the main site you will find little or no reference to numbers caching. To me that reads as gc.com does not really want to encourage the practice either, but the more caches people want to find, the more likely they will be purchasing a premium account to get PQs, and that means more income. Can you imagine preparing for a 400 caches in a day trip without the use of PQs? lol

cano
03-10-2010, 11:47 AM
Can you imagine preparing for a 400 caches in a day trip without the use of PQs? lol

I can. I used to do it before I was premium member :)

brdad
03-10-2010, 12:00 PM
You got 400 caches in a day? :p

Moonsouth
03-10-2010, 12:07 PM
You got 400 caches in a day? :p

Haha the very same words came to my mind too, you just beat me to it! :D

cano
03-10-2010, 12:27 PM
Haha the very same words came to my mind too, you just beat me to it! :D

I meant preparing 400 caches, not a 400 caches day trip :)

CARoperPhotography
03-10-2010, 11:29 PM
Wow I wish I had spotted this thread earlier! ha ha

Just a few comments....

1) JustKev, Semper Fir, Do or Die brotha! I was at 29 Palms from 2000 to 2003! 1st Tanks. I wish had known about Geocaching while living out west.

2) Anyone who has ever logged a find on Stud Mill or Star Wars down here has no right to criticize "power trails" or anything like this.

3) I have some micros I would like to donate to make this trail even longer!

4) A cache is a cache. A find is a find. Over 85 unique finds have been made on each of my Star Wars caches since the series' inception over three months ago. Thats almost a find a day! It is obviously bringing cachers to the area and allowing groups of cachers to HAVE FUN in an activity that THEY LOVE. Not only do they hit my "power trail" but they also hit some other great hides and locations in the area while here.

brdad
03-11-2010, 12:09 AM
2) Anyone who has ever logged a find on Stud Mill or Star Wars down here has no right to criticize "power trails" or anything like this.

I have to disagree with this statement. It is one of the common arguments given to those that disagree with several cache types. The other half of the argument is "don't criticize these caches unless you have tried them". Having both arguments available makes it easy to make anyone making comments against the caches being discussed appear in the wrong.

I have cached enough to know I don't care for stopping every tenth of a mile to log a cache which was placed for no purpose other than the numbers. Actually, I don't care to stop every tenth of a mile for any cache! However, I can't fully reflect on any individual caches that are part of these types of series that I have not found. But I do have an informed guess on many of them. :D

Moonsouth
03-11-2010, 08:39 AM
I guess my problem is I know that I wont enjoy these caches, and they will bring me to no where in particularly special, but I have this uncontrollable need to get them all. They are there so I must get them, its not just a number thing, its a just because they are there I must get them....like it is a duty to conquer all caches haha. Maybe I need to change my outlook on these power-trails and see the challenge as how many can I get in a day, almost like one big cache with many stages...Still, for me they wont be as good as that cache in a memorable location, or as exciting as completing some of the harder challenges, but they are still caches and therefore must be found...I just cant seem to ignore them....the Geo"Force" wont allow it....Maybe it IS about the numbers subconsciously and I just need to get a LOT of numbers to not care about them anymore....anyways, im rambling...

firefighterjake
03-11-2010, 08:46 AM
CarRoper . . .

a) I enjoyed your Star Wars cache series as much as I did the Stud Mill Road . . . but not for the numbers . . . sure it was a benefit . . . but in the case of OKdokei's cache series it was fun since I knew a number of the cachers the tribute caches were set out for and could comment on those folks . . . and it was the comraderie of the folks we were with . . . doing these alone would not have been as much fun.

In the case of the Star Wars cache series I was able to get my geek on . . . although I thought everyone knew that Coruscant was the empire/republic's capital planet . . . now granted I knew Felucia might throw some folks off, but Corsucant . . . c'mon Mainiac . . . and again . . . what made this fun was the folks I was caching with . . . although posing beside the road in a bathrobe with my home-made light saber was sort of fun too.

b) Having met you I think you need to change your sub title . . . you seem like a pretty decent and nice fella . . . but don't worry . . . I won't tell anyone . . . we can keep up the pretense of you being the "resident jerk" if you prefer. ;)

masterson of the universe
03-11-2010, 09:09 AM

On the contrary, I think having done one of the series gives people every right to criticize. Everyone always says, don't knock it until you try it...I did. I've been to the SMR twice just trying to wrap them up. It was fun the first time as it was the first time I had been out there, it was a numbers run, and it was an easy way to log the Centrum cache. Would I always want my caching experience to be this way? No way.

Its been stated lots of times in all these threads that some people love the runs, some people hate them. (cache runs that is) I did it to accomplish the mission but I much more prefer caching to bring you to some place with a reason to be there, some historical value, some great view, or just a new woods trail, rather than seeing nothing but a long straight poweline view all day. Obviously people fun doing these runs in groups and they boost your numbers so they serve a purpose, just not the same as a good quality ammo can hide.

CARoperPhotography
03-12-2010, 12:37 AM
Okay okay Firefighterjake, maybe I am not a jerk.... but I have a reputation to uphold and protect here so try to keep it quiet... sssssssssssssshhhhhhhh ;-)

parmachenee
03-12-2010, 08:37 AM
Its been stated lots of times in all these threads that some people love the runs, some people hate them. (cache runs that is) I did it to accomplish the mission but I much more prefer caching to bring you to some place with a reason to be there, some historical value, some great view, or just a new woods trail, rather than seeing nothing but a long straight poweline view all day. Obviously people fun doing these runs in groups and they boost your numbers so they serve a purpose, just not the same as a good quality ammo can hide.

I agree. We did the SM run on a rainy day with Becket in an attempt to meet the challenge. Since Mike took the time to place over 120 of these in one day, we took the time to personally sign 111 of them that day as some others also have done. Our sense of accomplishment came from that. We have no interest to do another "numbers run" of that magnitude. We have done some of the "Star Wars" series but especially enjoyed the "off-road" portion. Due to the proximity to private residences, many of the other caches made us uncomfortable but others may find no problem with that. I make no judgements here. I've always believed that if you don't like a type of cache, don't do it!
We much prefer a good hike or kayak and have had no problem in finding many of these type of caches still available. Fortunately, there's room for many levels and varieties of challenges in geocaching to keep us all interested.

firefighterjake
03-12-2010, 09:31 AM
I can't remember if I've stated my feelings on these power caches or not, but here goes.

If you're into the numbers, they're great.

If you're into the scenic views, they're not great.

If you go as a group and realize it will be more of a socializing geocache run, they're great.

If you go alone by yourself, they're not great.

My own take . . . I wouldn't stay in geocaching for long if there were all kinds of these types of caches everywhere and nothing else . . . but having two power runs in "northern" Maine and "southern" Maine seems to be working out fairly well.

I actually looked at the power run shown outside of Las Vegas . . . and honestly while it might be tempting if I ever end up in Vegas for a conference again . . . I would much prefer to spend the day seeing some of the state parks and doing those caches rather than just building up the numbers and being myself.

Mapachi
03-13-2010, 08:45 AM
Just like the advent of the automobile. Some people refused to get rid of their horse and buggy!............Huh???
I love hiking a mile or two in the woods or up a mountain to find a lone cache hidden behind a rock. I also like jumping in and out and in and out and in and out of my truck while on power runs! Both kinds of caching builds up my fortitude! One supports my sanity, the other my insanity. I think. I think I am. Therefore I am. .....I Think.
I've been laid up with a bum foot, and I'm going stir crazy! GIVE ME A POWER RUN!
AAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGG!!!!!

Sudonim
03-14-2010, 08:43 PM
I guess my problem is I know that I wont enjoy these caches, and they will bring me to no where in particularly special, but I have this uncontrollable need to get them all. They are there so I must get them, its not just a number thing, its a just because they are there I must get them....like it is a duty to conquer all caches haha. Maybe I need to change my outlook on these power-trails and see the challenge as how many can I get in a day, almost like one big cache with many stages...Still, for me they wont be as good as that cache in a memorable location, or as exciting as completing some of the harder challenges, but they are still caches and therefore must be found...I just cant seem to ignore them....the Geo"Force" wont allow it....Maybe it IS about the numbers subconsciously and I just need to get a LOT of numbers to not care about them anymore....anyways, im rambling...
Bingo! You just summed it up for me, if you know there is a cache behind a dumpster, you still want to get it off your list!
Caching has taken me to some truly beautiful and inspiring locations, but you have to get those pesky other ones off your list too.